Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

2house2fly posted:

Fun fact about Dead Money: they intended to give the enemies 0 perception to make them easy to sneak past, but some bug in the engine means that if an attribute is less than 1 it somehow becomes the maximum value, resulting in Dead Money enemies with max perception. I guess that's why your stats can never be reduced below 1.

Is there a mod to fix that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

chitoryu12 posted:

Is there a mod to fix that?

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/54401/

Woops, misread the description. He changed the perception to BE 1 instead of 0 in order to get around that bug.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 3, 2015

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Seashell Salesman posted:

One redeeming thing about OWB is that the vast majority of large enemy groups are outside in open areas where you could kill them with super long range sneak criticals (eg. Ratslayer or Christine's COS Sniper Rifle).

I'll look out for those then. Actually I notice that sniper rifles are quite a bit rarer in NV than in 3, where they were already fairly uncommon. Not a complaint, mind, just an observation.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'll look out for those then. Actually I notice that sniper rifles are quite a bit rarer in NV than in 3, where they were already fairly uncommon. Not a complaint, mind, just an observation.

You can use any random non-silenced weapon for this too, silenced ones are just nice so enemies won't get alerted on misses as often.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

OWB was purposely set up to gently caress over sneaky sniper players, so watch out for that.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Pwnstar posted:

OWB was purposely set up to gently caress over sneaky sniper players, so watch out for that.

You mean with how almost all of the buildings are cramped and claustrophobic? The overworld is pretty open with a lot of high ground to take advantage of.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Theta Zero posted:

You mean with how almost all of the buildings are cramped and claustrophobic? The overworld is pretty open with a lot of high ground to take advantage of.
It also contains the ultimate weapon for sneaky sniper players, Christine's CoS Silencer Rifle.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ignacio Rivas in the HELIOS facility is officially the best person in the post-apocalyptic Mojave. I'm playing a 3 INT Explosives guy, and firstly, all the PC lines for the conversation are adorable, and secondly, Rivas is just so legitimately friendly because the normal responses make it seem like he's making such an honest effort to be helpful.

Album with a bunch of great exchanges.

Fantastic also has a great exchange.

Start a 3 INT character today!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Sadly that's basically all the low INT dialogue in the game. There's a few areas that have something no other place does; I did the North Vegas quest and there's a bit where you hand a woman a piece of paper in dialogue. For the only time in the entire game her character model is actually holding a piece of paper in the next line. It's a bizarre thing to be impressed by but then Bethbryo is a bizarre engine.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Sadly that's basically all the low INT dialogue in the game. There's a few areas that have something no other place does; I did the North Vegas quest and there's a bit where you hand a woman a piece of paper in dialogue. For the only time in the entire game her character model is actually holding a piece of paper in the next line. It's a bizarre thing to be impressed by but then Bethbryo is a bizarre engine.

It's mostly a PC line here and there and not as extensive as Rivas. Pearl, Raul, Usanagi, etc. all have changed dialogue, but even if it's not really as big an impact as in the old games, it's pretty funny all the same.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Theta Zero posted:

Yeah, but it also loves to spawn roboscorpions right on top of you every time you exit a building after finishing a quest stage. That gets pretty old as a sniper.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, but it also loves to spawn roboscorpions right on top of you every time you exit a building after finishing a quest stage. That gets pretty old as a sniper.

That got old really drat fast, although it did lead to me discovering my favorite way back to the Sink; after getting the (I think) x-2 antenna, when you're on top of the satellite dish one edge extends just pass the teleporting barrier thing. So you just stand on that edge and warp back to base, ignoring the scorpions entirely.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

In my current game I just brought along a riot shotgun with several hundred pulse slugs. Mobius might call what he's doing an ambush but I call it home delivery :clint:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The riot shotgun is such a great panic button, especially if you have the perk that gives shotguns the chance of ragdolling your enemies and penetrating their armor, and the fast shot trait so you spam it quickly.

If I'm rolling a guns character I try to get ahold of one as soon as possible and it never leaves my inventory. Sometimes you just need something spammable and the riot shotgun fits the bill perfectly.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 4, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The story that goes around about OWB is that the guy who was primarily responsible for it disagrees with stealth being a thing and basically did what he could to make his preference a reality.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I usually stealth through OWD because the place practically forces you to with sniper lobotomites pecking through your stimpak reserves. So I guess the guy failed and created a stealth utopia. Also the roboscorpions die to melee. It seems melee or unarmed make some of the content in new vegas really easy that would be a pain in range. Can't kill deathclaws with it yet sadly.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Three stealth boys and twenty remote fat mines (from Ammo Crafting Schematics) later, the Legion's westward expansion comes to an abrupt halt as the Fort burns in nuclear fire.

Remote fat mines are the most appropriate way to play an Explosives character. It's so much fun.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Pope Guilty posted:

The story that goes around about OWB is that the guy who was primarily responsible for it disagrees with stealth being a thing and basically did what he could to make his preference a reality.
My impression was that it was designed to get people to play differently since everyone plays as Guns Guy or Headshot Sniper. Hence OWB having a lot of robot enemies with high defense that you're best taking on with an energy or melee weapon. Guns with AP ammo waste them as well, there's just less of them in the DLC so you'd need to bring your own.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The quest to upgrade my robot friends in The Sink has led me to Christine's sniper rifle. :)

It's still expensive to have my gear repaired though. :(

EDIT: The robot enemies tend to be the least of my troubles, though I disliked the glitchy Securitrons with the missiles. On the other hand, Nightstalkers will probably appear in my dreams. Always in packs! At least I invested in the shotgun knock-down perk.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 5, 2015

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Where does the speculation about the OWB design come from? Is there an interview or something?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The OWB lead was also lead on Dead Money and in a blog post mentioned that it was designed to shake things up for the players. I just figured OWB had a similar philosophy behind it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

On the other hand, Nightstalkers will probably appear in my dreams. Always in packs! At least I invested in the shotgun knock-down perk.

Animal friend makes OWB surprisingly easier.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I don't know if there's an official source for this, but what I've heard is that the way enemies spawn in OWB is supposed to be a call-back to Wasteland and old-school RPGs. No idea how much there is to that.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

I quite like the RoboScorpion ambushes, after the first one you know it's going to happen every time you advance the main story. I really don't like the dogpiling of fast/long range enemies that seems to just kind of happen organically in the overworld. Any time I stand and fight an enemy on the overworld (as opposed sneaking past or sniping from really far away) unrelated groups of enemies slowly get drawn in until it's just a big bloodbath of nightstalkers, robots, lobotomites, and trauma harnesses. I'm not sure if this is the result of rapid respawns.

Adam Sessler From TV
Jun 14, 2001

Crispy Tasty!
Puce Moose explained the OWB spawns in his mod readme for OWB tweak:

quote:

The vast majority of outdoor encounters in OWB are handled by a macabre assembly of nine scripted actors that are resurrected (sometimes undergoing genetic modification in the process, by transmogrifying into different actors/monsters) and shuffled around to various spawn points to harass the player. No matter how many times the player sends them shuffling off of their mortal coil, they return, with unshakable tenacity, with a fierce, non-randomized, inescapable, unshakable, annoying, determined gait. These beasts laugh in the face of 'no respawn mods', as they're controlled by an evil elder-God script that ignores such paltry exorcism attempts. Reduced Big MT spawns spreads a few roadblocks in front of this mad parade, allowing the player to actually make some progress in thinning the ranks of these self-proclaimed 'immortal Nine'.

Sounds reasonable. I use the mod and it does help with some of the continuous "[Caution]" situations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Eugh. It's a bummer to know that I can't even temporarily clear them out by killing.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I haven't played it in years, but I got the itch and grabbed a cheap GOTY copy of Fallout 3 off of Amazon.

I always feel bad playing an evil person in New Vegas, because so many of your choices are cruel and leave the Mojave markedly worse than you found it. In Fallout 3, every location is such a complete shitheap and everyone you meet such a stupid rear end in a top hat that cheating, murdering and enslaving your way across the Capital Wasteland is the best way to play the game.

I've probably played the intro to New Vegas two dozen times and only once did I betray Goodsprings, and I felt so terrible I immediately reloaded an earlier save. On the other hand, I didn't think twice about nuking Megaton for a slightly nicer house and a paltry amount of caps.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I don't nuke Megaton simply because there's a handful of vendors in a small area and FO3 doesn't have that many vendors to begin with.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The amount of caps you get for blowing up Megaton just seems like such an insult for how easy it is to get caps in Fallout 3. Destroying a really useful, centrally located town for what, four chinese pistols and a couple bottles of vodka?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

I don't nuke Megaton simply because there's a handful of vendors in a small area and FO3 doesn't have that many vendors to begin with.

What about Rivet City, and...Rivet City?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
There's the travelling merchants and one or two in each 'major' town. Rivet City has the market, Megaton has a few vendors, more or less the same as Tenpenny Tower. There's the Brotherhood quartermaster and whatever merchants are in underworld. Paradise falls has a few dudes. Littlelamp Light too. There may be a few dudes in other incidental locations or DLC, but I"m not going to count those. The smaller, less populated towns (and by less populated I mean three named NPCs instead of five named NPCs and a few generics.

New Vegas has one or merchants in every 'civilized' location, traveling (generic) merchants, and a generic NPC scavengers to trade with too.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I remember being annoyed because helping the ghouls move into Tenpenny Tower cut the number of merchants in half, yet the Ghoul Mask was too valuable to not grab, especially with the bullshit reavers in the DLC. Fallout 3's true moral dilemma :gonk:

I also do not remember Little Lamplight having any merchants, but it's been awhile.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Hannibal Rex posted:

I don't know if there's an official source for this, but what I've heard is that the way enemies spawn in OWB is supposed to be a call-back to Wasteland and old-school RPGs. No idea how much there is to that.

Sounds like bullshit someone made up. I'm too lazy to dig it up, but Chris Avellone explained on Twitter that they handled spawns in an unorthodox way in OWB to reduce the memory footprints. Remember, the DLC came out on consoles too.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
One of the little kids runs a general store. Knick Knack or something like that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm fairly well versed in Fallout Lore, but has there ever been an explanation why there are no mutant horses in the world? Its not like the NCR doesn't have trucks or vertiberds, and there's still plenty of motorcycles around, but I'd have thought Horses would be one of the species best able to thrive on open plains.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm fairly well versed in Fallout Lore, but has there ever been an explanation why there are no mutant horses in the world? Its not like the NCR doesn't have trucks or vertiberds, and there's still plenty of motorcycles around, but I'd have thought Horses would be one of the species best able to thrive on open plains.

AFAIK the explanation is "all the horses died before FO." This is about all the information there is on the topic.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The All Roads prequel comic for New Vegas showed the NCR riding horses. I guess horses just don't mutate!

Edit: did not notice the last post had a link which makes this post redundant. drat!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

2house2fly posted:

The All Roads prequel comic for New Vegas showed the NCR riding horses. I guess horses just don't mutate!

Edit: did not notice the last post had a link which makes this post redundant. drat!

Yeah the horses in All Roads aren't canon and, according to Chris Avellone, were a mistake on the artist's part that no one noticed before it went to print.

VVVV: That's amazing, I wish that was a mod :O

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 7, 2015

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

What am I doing to make every Bethesda Fallout game render my fingers weird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Theta Zero posted:

What am I doing to make every Bethesda Fallout game render my fingers weird?

Playing a Bethesda Fallout Game. That's a vanilla bug I know is fixable since I ran into once on a lean mod play though but I have no idea what mod I used that ended up fixing it.