Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm actually happy there's such a variance in opinion across the two reviewers, and I think they have valid points. Everyone is confronted at some level by the issues in the episode. Why not an evil invisible space chicken? It's just doing what an evil invisible space chicken does. Would it make more sense if it was an evil invisible space shark? Why?

Really the main reason this episode resonates with me is that I've been centimetres away from The Chair and its sheer emotional power and technique brought me to tears. I have an emotional connection to a man I'll never understand through an artifact which ironically is the only evidence he ever mattered. Think of all the Vincents who didn't have a brother who loved them and didn't throw it all away. We also have such a cultural problem with the subject of death, depression and suicide we even suspect any art that touches it. You could argue rightly that the art would stand alone in any case, but you'll never know.

And tying that back to the episode, I feel that it is a clash of cultures too. The British culture of almost helpless acceptance of how lovely existence can be versus the American desire to wish it could all be made better. Both have their faults, neither can accommodate the massive, immovable facts of it. But I give this episode credit for making a stab at it, which is all art ever tries to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLTQv8RH1TE&t=1m3s

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I kind of hope the alien in this episode was actually trapped in one of Van Gogh's paintings and escaped in the Art Institute of Chicago, where it travels invisibly among the paintings, and that he lives in the modern wing and runs over all those infuriating invisible barriers that the security guards complain about which set off the alarms if you get too close to the pieces, but are completely arbitrary and hard to see unless you are staring at the floor, so that they will maybe reconsider doing that and put some drat fences up or something.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Bicyclops posted:

I kind of hope the alien in this episode was actually trapped in one of Van Gogh's paintings and escaped in the Art Institute of Chicago, where it travels invisibly among the paintings, and that he lives in the modern wing and runs over all those infuriating invisible barriers that the security guards complain about which set off the alarms if you get too close to the pieces, but are completely arbitrary and hard to see unless you are staring at the floor, so that they will maybe reconsider doing that and put some drat fences up or something.

This would have been a better plot than Dust Breeding

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

Maybe instead of taking him to a museum, they should have taken Vincent to a 27th century medical center to get his brain fixed. :colbert:

Here's a lifetime supply of Lorazepam.

Wait that could go badly.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They'd hear his introduction of "Hello, I am Vincent Van Gogh" and immediately misdiagnose him.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

One interesting thing about the episode is that the Doctor doesn't seem to actually like Van Gogh until they become friends during the episode, usually he's all about the historical creatives who are just amazing, the best etc etc. He's doing this all for Amy, he's so happy when the monster shows up and leaps into action because this is finally something he's into. Vincent paints the Krafayis for him and he is in the possession of his own personal unknown work by Van Gogh but as soon as he's in the TARDIS without Amy around he's talking poo poo about the painting not being accurate enough for his scanner to recognise and how he wouldn't have this problem with a "proper" painter. Then they all go to see Vincent paint the church, Amy is completely enthralled and the Doctor complains the whole time while bragging about other artists he's met.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love that the Doctor is like a fidgety kid when he realizes he has to just stand about doing nothing for a few hours while Vincent paints.

"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly..... in the right order. :sigh:"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Eleventh Doctor is, some how, both much more stable than 10, and some how fairly less mature.

It's kind of strange.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The tenth doctor was too immature to let himself be properly immature. He was like an adolescent that's too cool be truly childlike but not developed enough to actually be an adult.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 5, 2015

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ten was like a man-child, knowing what socially-acceptable behaviors are, but refusing to do them. Eleven is like an actual child, somehow completely oblivious to what is acceptable, but at least knows to look regretful when someone calls him on it.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Ahhhh, more ghost chicken squawking! Oh, very loud, quite intimidating! Listen here, you see-through turkey. You can try to take over a building, you can scare the local peasants. You can even be bad computer generated... stuff. But when you interfere with an artist, you interfere with humanity, and they have a protector, you hear. This painter? He's their starry right. You want something to squawk into? Try this!!

*The Doctor throws Van Gogh's severed ear at the creature as that catchy loving Murray Gold song swells.*

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

PERSONA

MOTHER

loving

FIVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc_9r4wifFc

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a pretty great trailer

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Theme color is red, game of the loving decade

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

The things I learn from this thread. This hype train has no brakes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bobulus posted:

Ten was like a man-child, knowing what socially-acceptable behaviors are, but refusing to do them. Eleven is like an actual child, somehow completely oblivious to what is acceptable, but at least knows to look regretful when someone calls him on it.

Even this far into the run there's a lot of evidence that Eleven is just playing up the childlike Peter Pan nature of his persona, and you'd have to be willfully dense or flat-out oblivious not to recognize it. It helps if you do research on Patrick Troughton (a.k.a. The Second Doctor) and realize that Matt Smith really looked to him for inspiration-- the dangerous buffoon that's easy to underestimate. There's actually a decent argument to be made that Ten and Eleven channelled Hartnell and Troughton respectively from costuming (straight suit to clownish suit with a bow tie) to acting choices.

Tennant and Ten liked to harp about how Five was "his" Doctor according to Time Crash, but there's actually quite a brilliant line he gives:

Ten said to Five posted:

(Picking up Five's hat which was left on the console)
You know,
(hands him the hat)
I loved being you. Back when I first started at the very beginning, I was always trying to be old and grumpy and important, like you do when you're young. And then I was you.

Which proves to be weirdly telling. While Ten did clearly crib a lot of choices from Five, he also had a strong streak of Hartnell in his ultimate presentation-- moody, arrogant, and utterly convinced of his own brilliance at almost all times, like the young and vaguely adolescent Doctor he was after Nine put the biggest demons of the Old Doctor to rest. Eleven, by contrast, is like a young adult who has come to recognize firsthand that while his "childhood" (i.e: Old Doctor) trauma may be behind him, there are still major black marks on his recent record and while he's still "youthful" enough to get ahead of himself and cock up he's also cognizant of what his incompetence is capable of. It's also why the Dream Lord, despite being in an episode focused strongly on Amy, is so important-- vocalizing a lot of the crazy guilt and self-hatred Eleven has been repressing and processing, again like young adults often do, as opposed to Ten who often just processed his angst out in the open for any pretty girl in close proximity to soak up and make boo boo eyes about.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Okay, I guess I'll be buying a playstation 4

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Don't you compare hartnell to tennant again you monster.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Okay, I guess I'll be buying a playstation 4

It's on ps3, if you have that

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

People are just joking about being hyped for the anime schoolchildren game, right? I watched that trailer and I am confused.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

marktheando posted:

People are just joking about being hyped for the anime schoolchildren game, right? I watched that trailer and I am confused.

Persona 5 is going to rule so hard and that is no joke.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

marktheando posted:

Go home and be an anime man.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

marktheando posted:

Have...have you not played p4

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Toxxupation posted:

I have not played any persona game

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Not everyone had a Playstation 2/3.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I will never understand the goon love for anime.

Toxxupation posted:

Little_wh0re posted:

I have not played any persona game

What little whore said.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

thexerox123 posted:

Not everyone had a Playstation 2

Statistically speaking I don't think that's factual

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

marktheando posted:

I will never understand the goon love for anime.

People posting in a Doctor Who thread should not throw stones. You've watched a show with farting aliens.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toxxupation posted:

It's on ps3, if you have that
I don't, and I kind of wanted one for the new Mortal Kombat Bonebreaking Simulator anyway

marktheando posted:

:frogout:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I have never heard of the Persona series, and I had a PS2. And Googling Persona 4 gave me a video of a bunch of naked anime girls in a hot springs.

...I'll pass.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

People posting in a Doctor Who thread should not throw stones. You've watched a show with farting aliens.

I was kind of thinking this, except the other way round. I can't believe that toxxupation looked down his nose at Doctor Who (well at least he did at the start of this thread) while being an anime fan.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

thrawn527 posted:

I have never heard of the Persona series, and I had a PS2. And Googling Persona 4 gave me a video of a bunch of naked anime girls in a hot springs.

...I'll pass.

That's in the version not in the ps2 version, it was added later on and is deeply, deeply embarrassing for most to all fans

But like legit if you have a ps2 you should play p4, it's an incredible, incredible game, in my opinion the greatest jrpg ever made

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Persona 4 is so loving good, and hot loving drat P5's gonna rule.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

That's in the version not in the ps2 version, it was added later on and is deeply, deeply embarrassing for most to all fans

You seem to be very generous of anime/jrpg fans

Persona owns, just read the hiimdaisy comic and face out, hold out, reach out for the truth http://imgur.com/gallery/7gIwl

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Toxxupation posted:

But like legit if you have a ps2 you should play p4, it's an incredible, incredible game, in my opinion the greatest jrpg ever made

Is P4 Golden still good despite this bit of fanservice malarkey

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FreezingInferno posted:

Is P4 Golden still good despite this bit of fanservice malarkey

P4 Golden's got much-refined gameplay and a bunch of cool additions along with one or two additions that are considerably less good, the naked hot springs nonsense being one of them. It's probably worth looking at.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's one (regrettable) scene, most of the other stuff Golden adds is incredible.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I might be doing something wrong, I used my PS4 to play Resident Evil Remake and Wild Arms this past weekend…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
How can you not get hype about what I can only assume from the trailer is a Persona take on Lupin the 3rd like P4 was for Scooby Doo.

• Locked thread