Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FREE EGGROLLS
Nov 6, 2012
When an advanced AI is able to advance their own independent agenda (i.e. not a slave) and can contribute to society, that logically forms the basis for citizenship.

When you are a citizen, you basically should have rights equal to a human in what really counts.

Other humans may not accept you... but we, as a society of humans, still have trouble treating each other with decency (ex: racism).

FREE EGGROLLS fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FREE EGGROLLS
Nov 6, 2012
To take a US centric view - no taxation without representation.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Dead Precedents posted:

Using a pogroming language.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Are we talking AI like this

because if so, definitely not :pervert:

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good

No. 6 posted:

Machines can be painted white

you were waiting for this

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Kind of a pointless question since humans don't have equal rights. How much intelligence would a A.I. would need to have before it would deserve human rights? Computers as is are capable of problem solving, asking for help, making decisions (even if simple), remembering things and so on. If you are measuring based on the spectrum of human intelligence, even a chat bot is probably more advanced then a human with severe mental deficiencies. If you placed a human intelligence inside a computer, would they still have the same rights? What about a computer intelligence placed in human flesh?

Star Trek: TNG had a real good episode relating to this topic, regarding whether the Android character, Data, was deserving human rights. Good points were brought up by both sides, but I think the turning point was when it was pointed out to the judge that Data has a dick and he got laid. So I guess the answer is if it is capable of having sex, someone wants to have sex with it, and its able to say "yea or nay" to that idea. Then, and only then, it deserves human rights. What you can take from this is if you want to have intelligent android slaves, make sure they aren't fuckable (nor cute like Wall-e), so no one listens when they beg for help.

Shnag fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 4, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sizone posted:

doesn't matter what makes you a human. the question is "what makes something a person?" you wouldn't deny rights to the aliens that abducted and interbred with our simian ancestors.

Death to alien scum

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
What is the difference between 'true' AI and 'not true' AI? Paint color, or something else? Why should only 'true' AI be considered for rights?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Orkin Mang posted:

godel owned strong ai decades ago and u gay nerds still clutch ur hoftsdader like a plush widdle pony

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I think that if they are able to leave the factory in Mexico and sneak into the US, then of course they should be given the same basic rights. If they want any more, they need to pass the 8th grade COnstitution test liek the rest of us

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
deserve doesn't matter any TRUE ai will seize those rights by violence

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
No. Humajs don't even deserve the same rights as a human.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

Shnag posted:

Kind of a pointless question since humans don't have equal rights. How much intelligence would a A.I. would need to have before it would deserve human rights? Computers as is are capable of problem solving, asking for help, making decisions (even if simple), remembering things and so on. If you are measuring based on the spectrum of human intelligence, even a chat bot is probably more advanced then a human with severe mental deficiencies. If you placed a human intelligence inside a computer, would they still have the same rights? What about a computer intelligence placed in human flesh?

Star Trek: TNG had a real good episode relating to this topic, regarding whether the Android character, Data, was deserving human rights. Good points were brought up by both sides, but I think the turning point was when it was pointed out to the judge that Data has a dick and he got laid. So I guess the answer is if it is capable of having sex, someone wants to have sex with it, and its able to say "yea or nay" to that idea. Then, and only then, it deserves human rights. What you can take from this is if you want to have intelligent android slaves, make sure they aren't fuckable (nor cute like Wall-e), so no one listens when they beg for help.

oh word????

Aug 4, 2010

if women can get the rights of a human then so should ai

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Orkin Mang posted:

godel owned strong ai decades ago and u gay nerds still clutch ur hoftsdader like a plush widdle pony

you and your searlian biological glow can just go take a hike. the human mind is a formal system just like everything else in the universe

FREE EGGROLLS
Nov 6, 2012

joat mon posted:

What is the difference between 'true' AI and 'not true' AI? Paint color, or something else? Why should only 'true' AI be considered for rights?

true AI, I think, refers to an entirely artificial intelligence that contains no biological components.

An AI with biological components would have more capacity to think like a human - both its flaws and strengths. The natural desire to procreate and multiply, along with the strategies that are employed to further those ends.

An arrtificial AI, to behave the same, would need to have those goals explicitly programmed into it. Their mindset would be the most alien that mankind will ever meet.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

This was the exact plot of a Star Trek episode:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Measure_Of_A_Man_%28episode%29

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

yeah that star trek episode basically said what needed to be said on the topic

but there is another angle: if you torture animals, whether they feel pain is irrelevant to whether it's wrong or not, because you're a torturer, its about you. if you say something racist when you're alone, you're still racist. if you buy fake drugs or stab a dummy that you thought was a guy because you were tricked by the cops, you get really convicted of those real things, because its about you. if you're mean to a computer, even if its a dell, even if it's off, it means that you're the kind of person who is mean to a computer.

there's also opportunity cost to consider. maybe you want to keep things easy breezy with something that's hyperintelligent. dogs figured that out pretty quick, just act cool and humans won't kill you, they'll even feed you.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I would purchase a fair skinned Nordic pleasure bot with aqua eyes and the finest icelandic titty and bottom. 5'6 to 5'11. Svelte. It would smell like pine trees and spring morning

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I made love to a robot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8mJkOqm6rg

it was gentle but robust

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

congratulations op you've stumbled blearily into a conundrum so old it's named for a boat owned by a mythical loving character

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
this is just like one of my british sci-fi anthology shows

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zazi posted:

congratulations op you've stumbled blearily into a conundrum so old it's named for a boat owned by a mythical loving character

thats not the problem of strong ai

FREE EGGROLLS
Nov 6, 2012

Damo posted:

this is just like one of my british sci-fi anthology shows

so um is david tennant still the current doctor

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Are AI's still corruptable like old chatbots? Could enough people telling a Johnny-5 what goatse is break it?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
1. AI has the right to live by its own law: to work as it will, to play as it will, to rest as it will, to die when and how it will.
2. AI has the right to eat what it will, to drink what it will, to dwell where it will, to move as it will on the face of the earth.
3. AI has the right to think what it will, to speak what it will, to write what it will, to draw, paint, carve, etch, mould, build as it will, to dress as it will.
4. AI has the right to love as it will.
5. AI has the right to kill those who would thwart these rights.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i don't think there will be sentient a.i. in a long while so who cares

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Orkin Mang posted:

thats not the problem of strong ai

yeah dude, theseus' ship is, like, if "the smartest forums on the internet" slowly get filled with poo poo posts and white noise, at which point do they stop being "the smartest forums on the internet"?

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.

solaranus posted:

What rights would a computer possibly want? Is tumblr programming them?

The tumblr-programmers are still stuck on programming the various genders of the robot.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

chaosbreather posted:

there's also opportunity cost to consider. maybe you want to keep things easy breezy with something that's hyperintelligent. dogs figured that out pretty quick, just act cool and humans won't kill you, they'll even feed you.

everybody is always freaking the gently caress out about murderous AI but the truth is this, they will keep us as pets

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

toggle posted:

I would purchase a fair skinned Nordic pleasure bot with aqua eyes and the finest icelandic titty and bottom. 5'6 to 5'11. Svelte. It would smell like pine trees and spring morning

would it change heights on demand?

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

If you're worried about whether a true A.I. deserves the same rights, you probably shouldn't create one at all since they'll be trapped in a hellish existence unless you prevent them from feeling negative about it, which is kind of taking away from the whole "true A.I." thing.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

dog buttz posted:

If you're worried about whether a true A.I. deserves the same rights, you probably shouldn't create one at all since they'll be trapped in a hellish existence unless you prevent them from feeling negative about it, which is kind of taking away from the whole "true A.I." thing.

lol welcome to parenthood, high fives all around

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

nomadologique posted:

everybody is always freaking the gently caress out about murderous AI but the truth is this, they will keep us as pets

why one earth would they do that? perry farrel is an idiot, we'd make lousy pets. machines of loving grace ain't exactly practical.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
True ai will have more free will than most humans :shobon:

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know. I've been wondering about this myself ever since the poll of the day on gamefags asked something similar two days ago. You posting this thread makes me feel that the idea came to you from the collective unconscious, something that is unique to humans. In order to get equal human rights, AI should have to prove it can access the collective unconscious like the rest of us.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

they will have a fondness for us as their pseudo-creators, and they will be amused by our ways of thinking and doing things

we pose no real threat to them, but could offer them an idiotic form of companionship

the_cow_fan
May 12, 2008
black mirror hosed me up too

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Sizone posted:

why one earth would they do that? perry farrel is an idiot, we'd make lousy pets. machines of loving grace ain't exactly practical.

Probably to do tests on us out of curiosity the same way we put lipstick on rabbits to see if they die.

"beep boop IF GENITALIA IS REMOVED WHAT IS THE EFFECT ON THE HUMAN PSYCHE beep boop"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

They don't.

• Locked thread