Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

If the autozoom function for the default control scheme makes it to full launch, I'm definitely going to have to switch to the default layout. I've noticed that I'm consistently winning close/mid range fights, unless I get outplayed, whereas I'm getting annihilated in long range battles because the other guy gets a scoped in shot while I get descoped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Being able to hold down LT to pop back into zoom is worth playing on default to me.

Though gently caress crouch on right stick.

Why can't they just let us customize controls like borderlands?

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

MickRaider posted:

Being able to hold down LT to pop back into zoom is worth playing on default to me.

Though gently caress crouch on right stick.

Why can't they just let us customize controls like borderlands?

Is there a control scheme that is basically Destiny's version of bumper jumper?

I can't do H5's version of bumper jumper now that ADS is so big.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Anyone got an explanation for this medal? As far as I can tell I did nothing particularly noteworthy.

Keep in mind this is not one of my finer moments. drat crouch has me all hosed up.

http://xboxclips.com/Aww+Jeah/56814df4-55de-44f4-9b63-87aad622d6e2

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Combat Evolved is when you launch a power weapon off it's pedistal and apparently pick it up. Can only be done with plasma grenades

It looks more badass when you catch it midair.

I'm gonna miss this game when it's gone. It's so much fun and the improvements are phenomenal. The pace is a welcome improvement

After not getting a groundpound all beta I got 2 in a row. That was cool

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 17, 2015

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds
I switched control scheme to Greenthumb It moves thrust pack to one of the bumpers, which is a huge advantage in this game. It makes ground pound next to impossible, but you're probably going to use that less often than thruster anyway.

Melee gets moved to the right stick click, which is consistent with games like Far Cry, so not too confusing if you've played a lot of that.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6MQNuaRITk

Haha wow that's super flashy

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Alright, beta is over. Now 343i can get back to fixing MCC

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

gently caress that. Just ignore MCC and keep working on Halo 5.

MCC is dead

I just got a match in Halo 5 Beta

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 19, 2015

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Last day. Hit Onyx.

Awww yeah

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 19, 2015

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

MickRaider posted:

Last day. Hit Onyx.

Awww yeah

Weren't you a win away like two weeks ago when we played? Filthy scrub.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Booties posted:

Weren't you a win away like two weeks ago when we played? Filthy scrub.

Playing solo = getting paired against teams of onyx, semi pros, and pros. Super annoying.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

MickRaider posted:

Playing solo = getting paired against teams of onyx, semi pros, and pros. Super annoying.

Yeah that's why I got stuck in bronze 3

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Got about halfway to onyx2 with the help of a crazy good player. Then when he left I didn't win again and I'm right on the brink.

best to stop there.

It's been fun Halo 5 beta. I hope you launch in better shape than it currently is.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

MickRaider posted:

Got about halfway to onyx2 with the help of a crazy good player. Then when he left I didn't win again and I'm right on the brink.

best to stop there.

It's been fun Halo 5 beta. I hope you launch in better shape than it currently is.

Yeah the beta was fun. The core game is better than 4 - every just feels better. Fix the lobby, fix parties, add a B button, fix the ranking system, and hope for the best.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/how-fans-helped-shape-the-multiplayer-of-halo-5-guardians

The team has spent the past few weeks poring over player feedback from the aforementioned sources. From this we have developed an extensive list of improvements for the game. What follows is a short summary of items that we are addressing for launch. Some of these improvements were already in development and didn’t make it in time for the beta. The majority of changes address issues that surfaced during the beta and relate to feedback coming directly from the community. It’s important to point out that there will be a massive list of additional improvements and bug fixes that are not captured here, as we hosted this beta almost a year from release.

In the ViDoc that introduced the new Spartan Abilities before the beta went live, I touched on the fact that a portion of the Halo community strongly prefers to play without sprint. The results from the HCFP surveys showed that nearly 11% of HCFP participants felt that Halo should not have sprint. It is important that we continue to evolve Halo multiplayer while ensuring that legacy Halo players feel right at home. As a result, I’m happy to say that we will provide toggles in custom games so that sprint and the other Spartan Abilities can be turned off. By putting these tools in the hands of players we will give them the ability to play the game their way, enabling them to create a more traditional style of Halo if they prefer.

Some of the other improvements that we are making to Spartan Abilities and general mobility coming out of the beta:

Increase base speed (faster base movement)
Increase strafe acceleration (faster, more responsive strafing)
Reduce top sprint speed (narrow the delta between base movement and sprint)
Modify Ground Pound controls to prevent conflicts w/ crouch jumping
General tuning & bug fixes for all Spartan Abilities (Thrusters, Clamber, Ground Pound, etc.)

Other improvements we’ll be making to presentation based on fan feedback:

Post-death replay: this will become an opt-in feature. After death, players will see a traditional follow-cam and have the option to view a replay of their death from the killer’s perspective (as long as the feature is enabled within the playlist)
Medals: decrease frequency and number of medals displayed in the medal feed
Spartan chatter: players will have the option to turn this on or off in the settings menu
Adding highlights to placed/dropped weapons to make them easier to see
General tuning for announcer and Spartan chatter to reduce the frequency of events and focus on the information that matters most to players

Coming out of beta we have a number of fixes and improvements already in flight for matchmaking but at a high level our focus is on the following:

Much faster matches
Better skill matching
Better feedback to players in the lobby and matchmaking experiences
Allow players to set desired datacenter for matchmaking (may impact matchmaking speed and skill balance)
Improved party vs party matchmaking
Hide CSR ranks until in match to de-incentivize quitting
Punish quitters with CSR penalties and matchmaking bans

Some of the other improvements that we’ll be making to weapons in the game follow:

Sniper Rifle: improve scope experience to making it less “clunky” and faster to scope
DMR: adjust position of the scope to improve visibility
Bring back the SPNKr Rocket Launcher as a legendary version of the weapon
Reduce bonuses for automatic weapons in Smart-Link & w/ headshots
Remove grenade detonation in mid-air based on weapon fire
Ability to turn on/off vibration feedback for weapons
General tuning and bug fixing for all weapons

-A n i m 8- fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 5, 2015

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

-A n i m 8- posted:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/how-fans-helped-shape-the-multiplayer-of-halo-5-guardians

The team has spent the past few weeks poring over player feedback from the aforementioned sources. From this we have developed an extensive list of improvements for the game. What follows is a short summary of items that we are addressing for launch. Some of these improvements were already in development and didn’t make it in time for the beta. The majority of changes address issues that surfaced during the beta and relate to feedback coming directly from the community. It’s important to point out that there will be a massive list of additional improvements and bug fixes that are not captured here, as we hosted this beta almost a year from release.

In the ViDoc that introduced the new Spartan Abilities before the beta went live, I touched on the fact that a portion of the Halo community strongly prefers to play without sprint. The results from the HCFP surveys showed that nearly 11% of HCFP participants felt that Halo should not have sprint. It is important that we continue to evolve Halo multiplayer while ensuring that legacy Halo players feel right at home. As a result, I’m happy to say that we will provide toggles in custom games so that sprint and the other Spartan Abilities can be turned off. By putting these tools in the hands of players we will give them the ability to play the game their way, enabling them to create a more traditional style of Halo if they prefer.

Some of the other improvements that we are making to Spartan Abilities and general mobility coming out of the beta:

Increase strafe acceleration (faster, more responsive strafing)
Modify Ground Pound controls to prevent conflicts w/ crouch jumping
General tuning & bug fixes for all Spartan Abilities (Thrusters, Clamber, Ground Pound, etc.)

Other improvements we’ll be making to presentation based on fan feedback:

Post-death replay: this will become an opt-in feature. After death, players will see a traditional follow-cam and have the option to view a replay of their death from the killer’s perspective (as long as the feature is enabled within the playlist)
Spartan chatter: players will have the option to turn this on or off in the settings menu
Adding highlights to placed/dropped weapons to make them easier to see
General tuning for announcer and Spartan chatter to reduce the frequency of events and focus on the information that matters most to players

Coming out of beta we have a number of fixes and improvements already in flight for matchmaking but at a high level our focus is on the following:

Much faster matches
Better skill matching
Allow players to set desired datacenter for matchmaking (may impact matchmaking speed and skill balance)
Punish quitters with CSR penalties and matchmaking bans

Some of the other improvements that we’ll be making to weapons in the game follow:

Sniper Rifle: improve scope experience to making it less “clunky” and faster to scope
DMR: adjust position of the scope to improve visibility
Reduce bonuses for automatic weapons in Smart-Link & w/ headshots
Remove grenade detonation in mid-air based on weapon fire
Ability to turn on/off vibration feedback for weapons
General tuning and bug fixing for all weapons
a focus on improved matchmaking? how novel

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
My hype for Halo 5 died after experience MCC. I still preordered the big Legendary box though :gonk:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

-A n i m 8- posted:

I’m happy to say that we will provide toggles in custom games so that sprint and the other Spartan Abilities can be turned off. By putting these tools in the hands of players we will give them the ability to play the game their way, enabling them to create a more traditional style of Halo if they prefer.

Much faster matches
Better skill matching

These are all pretty great changes, I gotta say.

If they can just get rid of the loving iron sights on the energy sword and the assault rifle...

Anim8 make it happen. :pray:

(Also, why not go ahead and hide CSR ranks until the end of the match like CSGO does?)

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Zaphod42 posted:

These are all pretty great changes, I gotta say.

If they can just get rid of the loving iron sights on the energy sword and the assault rifle...

Anim8 make it happen. :pray:

(Also, why not go ahead and hide CSR ranks until the end of the match like CSGO does?)

I really dislike the ADS too especially for the DMR and the pistol. Just make it like Halo and not CoD.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Cool write up, thanks. Always enjoy seeing how a team is using the data they collected, hopefully it provides a better experience in the future.

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

My hype for Halo 5 died after experience MCC. I still preordered the big Legendary box though :gonk:

You're a mad man. 343i is going to need to do some serious wooing to get me back into this franchise after my experience with MCC, I haven't pre-ordered a game in five years until they unleashed that thing on me... I will never pre-order another game again. So Halo 5 is going to need to 4-5 star the poo poo out of it with major reviewers and then have a solid month of positive player-base reactions before I give them my dollars again.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 5, 2015

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I'm with almost complete certaintly getting Halo 5 (hopefully an LE console) but wtf is wrong with you son?

Also I'm stoked for the improvements that have been mentioned.

Beta... it's super awesome

JoshingtonState should do all the updates from here on out.

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 5, 2015

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

-A n i m 8- posted:

Expect the final sequences to feature considerably fewer chest bumps and high fives.
All of your hard work :(

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Honestly I think they should tone UP the chest bumps and high fives.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Booties posted:

Honestly I think they should tone UP the chest bumps and high fives.

I think you should have to pick a personality type for your spartan and then the final sequences are based on what kind of mix you have.

Types: Bro, Spartan-II (aka Child Soldier), Psycho, Lady-Soldier

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Make high fives more forceful whilst using ADS.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

whoknew posted:

I think you should have to pick a personality type for your spartan and then the final sequences are based on what kind of mix you have.

Types: Bro, Spartan-II (aka Child Soldier), Psycho, Lady-Soldier

Don't forget Griefer. Shoots your teammates

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

-A n i m 8- posted:

The gently caress does this mean? Is that what the Prophet's Bane was? A "legendary" energy sword? Is this more of a thing than "some maps have a different weapon model for some reason?" The phrasing there suggests something very strange.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 6, 2015

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Add windmill high fives when you run past a teammate

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so this is where the anim8 posts are now?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Funkmaster General posted:

The gently caress does this mean? Is that what the Prophet's Bane was? A "legendary" energy sword? Is this more of a thing than "some maps have a different weapon model for some reason?" The phrasing there suggests something very strange.

Yeah that's what the prophet's bane was.

I think its just really fancy talk for "A second special model for the same stupid gun"

343, stop changing things that you know work. If you want to play with adding things like ADS and dashing, fine. But don't re-invent the loving sword and rocket just because you can. They were Iconic!

Ugggh. :doh:

They realize now they were stupid to change it but they don't want to admit it so they're including both.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Yeah the different rocket launcher skin seemed really loving strange to me. Why?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Booties posted:

Yeah the different rocket launcher skin seemed really loving strange to me. Why?

It was hideous.

Change for changes sake I guess

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

huh, no where in those notes is 'we made the game fun and feel like halo'

oh well.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Laserface posted:

huh, no where in those notes is 'we made the game fun and feel like halo'

oh well.

*evolution*

Not

Keep the same poo poo over and over

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Next patch notes to reveal halo 5's new direction as a dubstep rhythm action game, MickRaider to declare that anyone who doesn't think that's dandy is just jumping on the hipster halo hater bandwagon.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Next patch notes to reveal halo 5's new direction as a dubstep rhythm action game, MickRaider to declare that anyone who doesn't think that's dandy is just jumping on MickRaider's ignore list

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Next patch notes to reveal halo 5's new direction as a dubstep rhythm action game, MickRaider to declare that anyone who doesn't think that's dandy is just jumping on the hipster halo hater bandwagon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGGvR2JBqMY

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

This new super mario brothers doesn't feel like the original mario brothers. Why can't they make a fun game that feels like mario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime

MickRaider posted:

This new super mario brothers doesn't feel like the original mario brothers. Why can't they make a fun game that feels like mario.

Actually, the recent "New Super Mario Bros." series of games for DS and Wii are painstakingly designed to be extremely reminiscent in look and gameplay of the 1985 Super Mario Bros. game and have been received extremely well and widely considered to be a great move on Nintendo's part to faithfully stick to what made the series popular in the first place.

• Locked thread