Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Having finally played around with Orion Trail, actually, it really feels like it should have a mobile release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
As long as you reference the right sort of things we're cool. Otherwise you're on the wrong side of plagiarism, buddy. :colbert:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

As long as you reference the right sort of things we're cool. Otherwise you're on the wrong side of plagiarism, buddy. :colbert:

It's not bad versus good reference, it's traced versus not. This shouldn't even be a necessary conversation, please be less dumb.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Wendell posted:

It's not bad versus good reference, it's traced versus not. This shouldn't even be a necessary conversation, please be less dumb.

Exactly, the right sort of things aren't traced, the wrong sort of things are traced, get it together AnonSpore

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Zaphod42 posted:

I meant the obvious derail debate about whether tracing is art or stealing, which was kinda starting up.

If you want to say you're not backing because its traced that's cool, but leave it there eh?

His second question was about this kickstarter in particular though so I apologize for writing him off.

Honestly the plagiarism/homage thing is way less important than the "never producing anything other than a few tracings" side of things

I mean no one has ever posted a low effort KS they were part of in this thread and had the project bust with nothing to show for it, right?

e: and if they did it wouldnt be worth talking about

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So I grabbed Darkest Dungeon as soon as it went live on Steam and I've been loving the hell out of it, even happier to see its topped the Steam sales charts for the past few days. Have they said anything about an iPad port or anything the like after Early Access is over? It seems like it'd work amazingly on a tablet.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

From what I remember, it's not going to be available for Ipad, but you're right in that it would work pretty well on it. You can do basically everything with the mouse already.

Chupadupa
Mar 16, 2004

MikeJF posted:

The only thing that makes me apprehensive about Orion Trail is that it's so close at times that you might get into legal issues.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

If Star Command could get away with it Orion Trail probably will too.

That was our thinking, but the worry of "hey is this actually parody?" is constantly on our minds.

MikeJF posted:

Having finally played around with Orion Trail, actually, it really feels like it should have a mobile release.

When making the prototype we were trying to keep tablet in mind as we designed the ui / interactions, but ended up sticking with PC. iPad & android are definitely platforms we want to get on, but it all comes down to priority and budget :(

Chupadupa fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 7, 2015

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Neptune, Have Mercy, a procedurally generated 2D shooter where you explore an alien sea. I think it looks pretty neat, especially the art style and music.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 8, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Overflight posted:

Neptune, Have Mercy, a procedurally generated 2D shooter where you explore an alien sea. I think it looks pretty neat, like the art style and music.

If I wasn't scared shitless of the deep sea I'd be all over this. As is, watching the trailer made me uneasy. :smith:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The kickstarter for STRAFE looks like it's gonna fall well short of their goal, which makes me sad because it looked like the first FPS """roguelike""" that I would be interested in. :smith:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The exploding head/grieving mother advertising probably confused the gently caress out of people.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

poptart_fairy posted:

The exploding head/grieving mother advertising probably confused the gently caress out of people.

I dunno, that trailer made me sort of want to fund it even though the game itself doesn't look great. (I didn't though)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Geight posted:

The kickstarter for STRAFE looks like it's gonna fall well short of their goal, which makes me sad because it looked like the first FPS """roguelike""" that I would be interested in. :smith:

Their ask was a bit high unfortunately. It is weird how all the best kickstarters I've seen (bar Hyper Light Drifter) never really explode like some others I've seen. STRAFE was one of the few they did the video thing right (should just be a trailer/commercial no talking about who you are or what inspired you or whatever).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I dunno, that trailer made me sort of want to fund it even though the game itself doesn't look great. (I didn't though)

That trailer made me go "Wow, I do not care about this game in the slightest but if the guy who made that trailer decides to Kickstart a movie similar to The WNUF Halloween Special, I would back the gently caress out of it". That game looked quite generic and boring to me.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 8, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah that was a well-made video, but the game itself does not look good at all so he might have the wrong priorities there.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Tracula posted:

So I grabbed Darkest Dungeon as soon as it went live on Steam and I've been loving the hell out of it, even happier to see its topped the Steam sales charts for the past few days. Have they said anything about an iPad port or anything the like after Early Access is over? It seems like it'd work amazingly on a tablet.

On the same note I wish they'd do some work on the engine to kick down the system requirements. While looks great artistically, I really don't get why they went with an OpenGL 3.2. minimum. It's a perfect netbook/laptop game, but you're hosed if you have a non-gaming laptop with an older integrated card despite it having relatively simple 2D graphics and no reflex sensitive gameplay.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The game actually looked pretty cool but then again I'm 1000 years old.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

The game actually looked pretty cool but then again I'm 1000 years old.

A lot of games in the mid-90s actually looked way cooler than that.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

On the same note I wish they'd do some work on the engine to kick down the system requirements. While looks great artistically, I really don't get why they went with an OpenGL 3.2. minimum. It's a perfect netbook/laptop game, but you're hosed if you have a non-gaming laptop with an older integrated card despite it having relatively simple 2D graphics and no reflex sensitive gameplay.

You want to know the worst part? They patched that in just after the release to open early access. I got one whole weekend to play it and then HAHA NOPE. I also don't see why they did it; it worked flawlessly for the 6 or so hours I spent in-game.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

If it ran fine for you before, you can make the game skip checking for OpenGL 3.2 with the "-skip_opengl_check" tag.

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010
Does it work if you disable the OpenGL check? There's a fixes thread on the steam forum that suggests this:

quote:

Disabling OpenGL 3.2 compatibility check

If you own a graphics card that's not OpenGL 3.2 compliant but really want to try your luck - at your own risk of course - you can use the "-skip_opengl_check" (remove the quotes) command line option.

Go to your Steam Library
Right click -> Properties on Darkest Dungeon
Click the "GENERAL" tab
Click "Set Launch Options
In the box type in "-skip_opengl_check" (remove the quotes)

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Video requirements have little to do with the apparent "quality" and "AAA" factor of a game's graphics. Anyways OpenGL 3.2 is over 5 years old now, you should check if your graphics drivers are up to date (Intel in particular) before you go ruling out your computer as too old.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hakkesshu posted:

A lot of games in the mid-90s actually looked way cooler than that.

Yeah but those were the best genre ever offered. I think a decade of no good FPS has poisoned my brain.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
STRAFE looked to me like it was suited to all sorts of cool and weird weapons which made their choice for you to have only 1 permanent weapon, which you chose from 3 very vanilla options, very confusing to me.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Geight posted:

Check out Ziggurat. Tower of Guns is also pretty cool.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

STRAFE looked to me like it was suited to all sorts of cool and weird weapons which made their choice for you to have only 1 permanent weapon, which you chose from 3 very vanilla options, very confusing to me.

I thought those were just all they had made at the time. No?

e: also I just noticed how the money in this thread's title was formatted argh

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Yodzilla posted:

I thought those were just all they had made at the time. No?

I watched a gameplay video where they said you choose from those three and then you pick up other weapons as a sort of power up, you can't pick up or buy more ammo for them you just use them and drop them.

edit: Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48GlqcTDqzc&t=425s

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 8, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yodzilla posted:

e: also I just noticed how the money in this thread's title was formatted argh

Any country that uses commas for decimals is clownshoes and they deserve to accidentally kick in 90,000 dollars.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

senrath posted:

If it ran fine for you before, you can make the game skip checking for OpenGL 3.2 with the "-skip_opengl_check" tag.

hyperbowl posted:

Does it work if you disable the OpenGL check? There's a fixes thread on the steam forum that suggests this:

Hah, that did it! I'm running OpenGL 2.1 for reference. I even knew about that fixes thread (and have used almost all of the other ones too) but I hadn't checked it recently. Thanks dudes.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Yodzilla posted:

Those are both really boring, Tower of Guns especially so.

quote:

Yeah but those were the best genre ever offered. I think a decade of no good FPS has poisoned my brain.

I didn't think one (maybe) good fps was too much to ask. :smith: I hope they can figure out a new gameplan after the KS.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I watched a gameplay video where they said you choose from those three and then you pick up other weapons as a sort of power up, you can't pick up or buy more ammo for them you just use them and drop them.

edit: Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48GlqcTDqzc&t=425s

There's something really disorienting about watching the gameplay. I don't know what it is exactly but the way the camera jerks around and the way the weapon sways and is position just feels really off.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Tower of Guns is a bit boring because its slow as poo poo and you only get one gun ever, Ziggurat is much faster and you get various guns but I guess if you think Serious Sam is boring then it's boring

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Ziggurat is good but I do wish that level ups were a bit less random for characters and that there was a tad more variety overall.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Geight posted:

I wonder if anyone confuses it with the recent update/rerelease of Strife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtKHieGIzNM

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

The MSJ posted:

I wonder if anyone confuses it with the recent update/rerelease of Strife.

WHOA WHAT THE gently caress?? I know what I'm buying next. :getin:

Overflight posted:

Neptune, Have Mercy, a procedurally generated 2D shooter where you explore an alien sea. I think it looks pretty neat, especially the art style and music.

This is extremely my poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MikeJF posted:

The only thing that makes me apprehensive about Orion Trail is that it's so close at times that you might get into legal issues.

Don't forget that there was recently a zombie themed "Organ Trail" which is even closer, and they managed to squeak by.

Also Oregon Trail is a pretty old IP and all of this should really count as fair use and parody / whatever.

But I can understand your apprehension because indies can't afford a big legal battle :ohdear:

Yodzilla posted:

WHOA WHAT THE gently caress?? I know what I'm buying next. :getin:

Never heard of Strife before? It is pretty obscure. Its pretty much literally Deus Ex in the Doom engine, before anybody knew what Deus Ex was or how cool it would be. Waaaay ahead of its time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't forget that there was recently a zombie themed "Organ Trail" which is even closer, and they managed to squeak by.

Also Oregon Trail is a pretty old IP and all of this should really count as fair use and parody / whatever.

But I can understand your apprehension because indies can't afford a big legal battle :ohdear:

I was actually thinking to Star Trek. Some of their parody hits pretty close. That ship design, for example.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Overflight posted:

Looks like In The Hunt, except poo poo.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Never heard of Strife before? It is pretty obscure. Its pretty much literally Deus Ex in the Doom engine, before anybody knew what Deus Ex was or how cool it would be. Waaaay ahead of its time.

Strife is really cool, I hadn't played it in 10 years so when I finished it again last month I had a laugh at the ending, so very corny. I got the good ending though, the other ones are dark as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Zaphod42 posted:

No I've played Strife and it owns, I just had no idea they were releasing the modernized version of it.