Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
True. Some of the weapons CJacobs puts together in later missions are absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I mentioned right near the start of the LP that I got bored after trying out all the different actual weapon combinations (some are 'the same thing but with a slight twist in the stats!') and just made a double-rocket launcher with all the endgame chips, capable of instantly mincing even the toughest upgraded enemies. It's not too difficult to make something ludicrously powerful in DS3, particularly since you don't have to invest all your chips permanently and there's no ammo to worry about.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Universal Ammo is probably the biggest balance changer. The only things that really kept DS2's sniper gun and Compact Beam from trivializing the game was that even when equipped their ammo was somewhat scarce and you could blow through it very easily (sure it's a one-shot kill but with a hundred enemies that's a hundred bullets!)

Theundynamicduo
Feb 6, 2015
[Edited: Posted in the wrong thread]

Theundynamicduo fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 6, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I appreciate that you are going at it with a fresh perspective but you should post it in your own thread and not mine

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also you probably shouldn't have registered under the name of your let's play group instead of your own actual username because that makes it kind of obvious that you only did it to advertise, I apologize in advance for your potentially wasted 10 dollars

edit: Well that solves that I guess!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 6, 2015

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Posts like that are about as subtle as a dead kid in an insurance commercial.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Rick_Hunter posted:

... That's almost poetic.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Rick_Hunter posted:

"I can't become a Space Engineer because I died."

"And then my corpse became a nightmarish horror."

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

IronSaber posted:

Dead Space 1 had Zombie Babies, 2 has the Babies and Kids due to it being a fully equipped space station with a very spooky school level that probably made people feel sad.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Delta Green posted:

... That's almost poetic.

IronSaber posted:

I was talking more of the wanna be youtube LP superstar. I completely forgot about the miasma of dead babies in DS1 and 2.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Today we do battle with a giant enemy crab (sorry) and begin our quest to find out who is actually the creature in disguise anew. Then I give you just a little taste of how hard the game will poo poo the bed later. I am joined by Blind Sally and Nine-Gear Crow.

TEXT LOGS IN THIS CHAPTER:

Man, does anyone even care about these? I know I don't.

quote:

TEXTFEED [SCAF-ISC-30593] TV-HU213 TO TV-RS9

PVT SAMUEL ACKERMAN: I DON'T KNOW IF YOU GUYS GOT ANYTHING LEFT IN THE PANTRY OVER THERE AT RS9 BUT THIS HOSPITALITY UNIT IS LOOKING MIGHTY BARE.

SGT GEORGE COCHRHAN: ACKNOWLEDGED, PVT. GOT A WHOLE PLATOON TO FEED OVER HERE AND NOT ENOUGH TO GO AROUND.

PVT SAMUEL ACKERMAN: WHAT ABOUT THE DEPOT? THERE HAVE TO BE RATION IN THERE. COME ON. COUGH UP THE KEY FOR A HUNGRY SOLDIER.

SGT GEORGE COCHRAN: SORRY, ACKERMAN. SFC LUMELY IS IN CHARGE OF RATION DISTRIBUTION. I'M SURE HE'LL SEND FRESH SUPPLIES TO US AS SOON AS HE IS ABLE. UNTIL THEN, YOU ARE JUST GOING TO HAVE TO TIGHTEN YOUR BELT LIKE THE REST OF US.

TRANSCRIPT END.

quote:

PERSONAL LOG: CPL SIMON WEBER

Ground crews, construction teams, pipelines, supply routes. All in service of that drat excavation site. They found something interesting over there but no one's talking about it.

You can tell which soldiers have been working the dig teams. They look haunted, almost frail like whatever it is they saw aged them forty years.

quote:

TEXTFEED [SCAF-ISC-30593] TV-HU213 TO TV-RS9

CPL SIMON WEBER: HEY, SARGE. I SEEN A LONG LINE OF MU-90'S HEADING YOUR WAY. WHAT'S THE NEWS? IS THAT THE GRAVY TRAIN?

SGT GEORGE COCHRAN: NOT FOOD. DRILL PARTS. WENT OVER THE RIDGE TO ARC-FAC-1. THE BOYS UNDER THE DIG LINE FOUND SOMETHING MIGHTY INTERESTING UNDER THE ICE.

CPT SIMON WEBER: WHAT COULD BE MORE IMPORTANT THAN MY STOMACHE GROWLING?

SGT GEORGE COCHRAN: WELL, YOU KNOW HOW IN ALL THE YEARS MAN HAS BEEN EXPLORING SPACE, WE AIN'T NEVER FOUND LIFE ON ANY OTHER PLANET?

CPT SIMON WEBER: SURE, NOTHING BUT ROCKS AND GAS.

SGT GEORGE COCHRAN: WELL, THERE'S LIFE OUT THERE. NO DOUBT. AND IT'S ONE UGLY SON OF A BITCH.

TRANSCRIPT END.

quote:

EXERPT FROM ‘SCAF LEGIONARY HANDBOOK’

SURVIVING SUB-ZERO TEMPERATURES

You are required to wear the Arctic Survival Suit when exiting the compound, no matter how small the duration Zero-tolerance, no exceptions.

Do not use suits with obvious worn seams, tears, or loose seals in the helmet.

Turn these in to requisitions immediately. A hole, however small, is enough to let the cold in leading to death in less than one minute.

Use of the catheter and colonic systems is mandatory. In the event you are caught outside for an extended period, bodily fluids can compromise the suit's insulation. Catheter and colonic systems are sterilized after each use and are perfectly safe. Keep your suit seals free of ice at all times. Do not stomp snow off your boots, as the reverberations will damage the catheter and colonic systems.

Mandatory. Catheter.

quote:

PERSONAL LOG: SFC RICHARD LUMLEY

I used to think I was an individual with my own life and my own problems. But now I realize we are all just pieces of a bigger puzzle.

Alone we are nothing. It's this lack of completeness... that complicates our lives.

Make us whole. That is what I hear when I close my eyes.

Make us whole. That is what we all must do.

We just have to get over the first step. We just have to die.

It will do the rest.

quote:

EXCERPT FROM 'SCAF LEGIONARY HANDBOOK'

ADDENOUM XII: CONCERNING NECROMORPHS

The attacks we've suffered so far have cost us many lives but left us with valuable lessons. The shambling creatures the science teams are calling 'Necromorphs' appear to be made of the dead remains of other creatures, including our fallen soldiers.

This is disturbing, disorienting and shocking on first site. Steel yourselves, as it may be a psychological ploy of the creatures to weaken us.

Critically important: Shoot for the limbs! They otherwise keep coming and will behead you before you can reload. Body and head shots essentially waste ammunition, so you must quickly retrain your basic marksmanship.

Never allow a breach of the outer wall! A single creature can take out an entire wing and begin a replication process within minutes.

quote:

SCAF-ISC-31009 TV-AF1

PERSONAL-LOG: PVT R. BLATTY

NIGHT AND DAY, IT'S ALWAYS THE SAME. THEY COME SHAMBLING OUT OF THE STORMS, TRYING TO GET IN.

IT'S NOT EASY FOLLOWING ORDERS. YOU SEE FAMILIAR FACES ALL THE TIME. SOMETIMES THEY SEE YOU AND THEY LOCK EYES AND THERE'S A GLIMMER OF RECOGNITION. LIKE THEY REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS LIKE TO BE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WALL, SAFE AND WARM... AND ALIVE.

TRIVIA:
- That sound I said was from The Thing is actually a common stock sound effect used in horror movies, and I don't think it actually is from The Thing, whoopsie doodles
- Fun fact: Isaac's face is supposed to be all hosed up and bloody but that only happens if you're wearing the EVA suit, otherwise his face is fine. WHOOPSIE DOODLES
- The playable demo of this part of the game was the first appearance of the EVA suit in general, prior to this Isaac had always been wearing the Advanced Suit from Dead Space 2 in promotional materials for the game

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 9, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Use of the catheter and colonic systems is mandatory. In the event you are caught outside for an extended period, bodily fluids can compromise the suit's insulation. Catheter and colonic systems are sterilized after each use and are perfectly safe. Keep your suit seals free of ice at all times. Do not stomp snow off your boots, as the reverberations will damage the catheter and colonic systems.

Does that mean it's canon that Isaac has tubes shoved up his butt and down his penis every time he steps into the suit machine?

That would explain why he looks like he's being twisted in agony right before the doors close. And why he sounds so angry when he stomps stuff.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Isaac is stomping his boots constantly. I hope he doesn't damage the systems and gets peepee infections or butt injuries.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Don't worry, just slap some medi-gel on it first, it'll numb the pain.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

Isaac is stomping his boots constantly. I hope he doesn't damage the systems and gets peepee infections or butt injuries.

He screams every time he stomps stuff because he's jerking the tubes around.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Fun fact: Pvt Sam Ackerman, the guy who's talking in all those audiologs, is the co-op partner character for the prologue; hence that recording of Dr Serrano yelling at him. He ends up getting crushed to death by the falling spaceship. The more you know! :pseudo:

Also, I know that in many ways Dead Space 3 is crap, but I do like the look of Tau Volantis a lot. They went for a The Thing meets At the Mountains of Madness vibe, and it works pretty well.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Welcome to the Critical Dumb segment!

STUPID NUMBER ONE: Isaac is fine with letting his helmet go away and walking into a blizzard with no face protection! The man's an engineer, but he can't be bothered to rig up some kind of rudimentary face mask before / two seconds after stepping 'outside'.

STUPID NUMBER THE SECOND: Isaac's body temperature can drop to SEVEN DEGREES CELSIUS and he'll be perfectly fine for running around as long as he gets to a heat source immediately afterwards. The entire body temperature thing is delightfully dumb. (Edit: I suppose I should clarify for anyone who doesn't use Celsius/can't remember their biology classes, 37 degrees is body temp, and at 35 you are probably incapable of higher thought and about to die.)

STUPID NUMBER THREE: So yeah, Buckell! Not only is it incredibly stupid that he freezes to death metres from a working generator, he also says there weren't enough suits to go around. We'll see pretty soon that all of the survivors have quite nicely-fitted suits, so either they used the suit kiosks they couldn't use (and thus Buckell could've), or there were three suits sort of lying around in one of the rooms above, still intact and usable without clearing out a human-shaped mass of snow from inside, coloured rather than in dab browns like the rest of the colour scheme for the SCAF and Tau Volantis, perfectly tailored for... I think we're down to Ellie, Norton, and Santos now? Carver doesn't count, his existing suit seems to be intact when you see it. So it's probably less "I volunteered to die a horrible, cold death" and more "Sucks to be more than a Men's Large, I guess".

STUPID NUMBER FOUR: The clickers are pushovers. Just shoot them, you'll win easily and then you don't have to deal with the dodgy 'pick up that can' mechanic or wait around for five minutes each time you want one to move somewhere. Considering they're built up as these nasty things you should avoid, DS3 really should have either beefed them up or made up some reason why Isaac can't just use his vast quantities of ammo.

But yes, it is very pretty, so there's that at least.

WFGuy fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 9, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I decided to look up some info on surviving dropping of body temperature. If your core body temperature is at 82 degrees or lower (27.7 Celsius), you're suffering from severe hypothermia and about to die. Isaac would stop shivering because he'd be totally unconscious and all of his organs (including his brain) would be in the process of shutting down completely.

Basically, Tau Volantis is so cold that Isaac (whose suit is mostly intact except for his helmet not closing) would last maybe a minute or two before his speech turned to random jibbering and he collapses. Ellie, lacking any form of clothing thicker than a pair of jeans and continuing to expose her cleavage to the harsh air, would be instantaneously killed by the harsh temperatures as soon as the shuttle broke apart. Isaac (if he managed to even survive long enough to get to her half of the Crozier) would have found her still strapped to her seat, tongue lolling out of her mouth and as solid as a hunk of meat in the freezer.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
The Thing videogame on the PS2 was a neat idea; it was a third-person shooter where you could had a squad of dudes and they had varying levels of fear which is affected by how dark the area they're in is, how much it's being lit, whether they have a weapon or not, and stuff like that. They're too scared, they'll either kill themselves, attack everyone around them, attack the environment around them, or just keel over from a heart attack. They also had a trust mechanic where they might not follow your orders if they think you're a Thing, or just straight up attack you if they're convinced you're a Thing. But if they trust you completely, they'll even help you kill fellow NPCs if you friendly-fire them too much.

It was a neat idea, but I only rented it once way back in the day. Wish I could've played it more, I liked the idea.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

tlarn posted:

The Thing videogame on the PS2 was a neat idea; it was a third-person shooter where you could had a squad of dudes and they had varying levels of fear which is affected by how dark the area they're in is, how much it's being lit, whether they have a weapon or not, and stuff like that. They're too scared, they'll either kill themselves, attack everyone around them, attack the environment around them, or just keel over from a heart attack. They also had a trust mechanic where they might not follow your orders if they think you're a Thing, or just straight up attack you if they're convinced you're a Thing. But if they trust you completely, they'll even help you kill fellow NPCs if you friendly-fire them too much.

It was a neat idea, but I only rented it once way back in the day. Wish I could've played it more, I liked the idea.

I think one of the problems with that game was that they didn't randomize who was actually a Thing. It was the same NPCs every time.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
When I have a little more time I will go on a The Thing: The Game tangent, because boooooy do I have a lot of words about what worked and what didn't.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

When I have a little more time I will go on a The Thing: The Game tangent, because boooooy do I have a lot of words about what worked and what didn't.

I tried to play it a few years ago and never got far. I kinda want to try again.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

WFGuy posted:

STUPID NUMBER ONE: Isaac is fine with letting his helmet go away and walking into a blizzard with no face protection! The man's an engineer, but he can't be bothered to rig up some kind of rudimentary face mask before / two seconds after stepping 'outside'.

STUPID NUMBER THE SECOND: Isaac's body temperature can drop to SEVEN DEGREES CELSIUS and he'll be perfectly fine for running around as long as he gets to a heat source immediately afterwards. The entire body temperature thing is delightfully dumb. (Edit: I suppose I should clarify for anyone who doesn't use Celsius/can't remember their biology classes, 37 degrees is body temp, and at 35 you are probably incapable of higher thought and about to die.)

STUPID NUMBER THREE: So yeah, Buckell! Not only is it incredibly stupid that he freezes to death metres from a working generator, he also says there weren't enough suits to go around. We'll see pretty soon that all of the survivors have quite nicely-fitted suits, so either they used the suit kiosks they couldn't use (and thus Buckell could've), or there were three suits sort of lying around in one of the rooms above, still intact and usable without clearing out a human-shaped mass of snow from inside, coloured rather than in dab browns like the rest of the colour scheme for the SCAF and Tau Volantis, perfectly tailored for... I think we're down to Ellie, Norton, and Santos now? Carver doesn't count, his existing suit seems to be intact when you see it. So it's probably less "I volunteered to die a horrible, cold death" and more "Sucks to be more than a Men's Large, I guess".

STUPID NUMBER FOUR: The clickers are pushovers. Just shoot them, you'll win easily and then you don't have to deal with the dodgy 'pick up that can' mechanic or wait around for five minutes each time you want one to move somewhere. Considering they're built up as these nasty things you should avoid, DS3 really should have either beefed them up or made up some reason why Isaac can't just use his vast quantities of ammo.

But yes, it is very pretty, so there's that at least.

I will defend number two as being a very common gameplay abstraction for cold weather survival, and one that made this section quite memorable.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
These last videos were amazing.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

WFGuy posted:

Yeah, the feeders are basically The Pack 2.0 but as we'll see in later segments they get beefed up considerably. I always had a hard time in the end game dealing with them, but that might be because I used the shotgun religiously. If you can choke point them, though, they're basically loot pinatas and if you're ever hard hit for supplies in this game, redoing the next section will give you more poo poo than you know what to do with.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
So I'm going to ask a dumb question here and I really do apologize if it's explained in the game or something. But why is a suit that is rated to keep you warm and healthy in space not suitable to keep you warm in snow? Is it literally just your helmet won't close till the suit thingy fixes it?

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Yeah, it's literally the helmet thing. You can equip any suit and it'll keep you warm, the choice is just cosmetic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ZeusCannon posted:

So I'm going to ask a dumb question here and I really do apologize if it's explained in the game or something. But why is a suit that is rated to keep you warm and healthy in space not suitable to keep you warm in snow? Is it literally just your helmet won't close till the suit thingy fixes it?

The helmet is supposed to be the part of the suit that internalizes pressure and makes an airtight seal, and with the helmet malfunctioning Isaac's suit can't do that anymore which is why he has to find a new one. If he did have the helmet, the suit would be able to seal all the way up and heat up his body to an appropriate level, which is why the body temperature thing goes away and stops being an issue after you change into a new suit. But while we're talking about that, also keep in mind that he takes off his helmet for basically every cutscene (gotta show off that cool face capture tech), even ones that take place out in the snow later on, which kind of retroactively makes that explanation not make sense.

It's basically just a gameplay gimmick, thinking too hard about it will just give you a headache because Visceral probably didn't do so. :v:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

Spacesuits normally operate in a vacuum. As you might know from thermos bottles, vacuum is a really good insulator. So good, that you need cooling because your body heat can't escape. Cold air is much better at conducting heat, so it will cool down the suit.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

WFGuy posted:

Feels like the game has entered the 'oh snap we only have how much time until we have to release DS3!? Bugs first nuances maybe guys!' part to me with these oversights. Not to mention how the Necromorphs aren't frozen solid but they're zany space zombies and snow is a good insulator (which might explain them burrowing all over the place.)

Also that slasher in the video that was pre-headless when it came around the corner is what I was referring to earlier with Stasis making the game easy: Stasis, two shots and it's dead. Otherwise it's a timing game that if you get it wrong it's hard to get right because the only thing that has the RoF to compensate for that is the SMG/Machine gun option. Even then you'll still likely waste a lot of ammo on it.

Good thing Ammo is plentiful in DS3 :v:

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I came here for the chillstep. I am dissapointed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
1) The group probably got their snowsuits in the earlier shelter locations.
2) The "canonicity" is probably geared toward co-op, so presumably Carver is with Clarke, and thus there is no one with Kinesis to reactivate the generator.
3) I'm guessing the 200 year difference in suit technology means Clarke doesn't have a bunch of tubes up in him, but our prologue redshirt probably did.
4) I'm still interested in the textlogs.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

YOTC posted:

I came here for the chillstep. I am dissapointed.

1080P RECOMMENDED

EDIT:

I'm laughing out loud at the comments:

GhostArmy posted:

what about us that dont belive in god like i? i am beliving in the string theory :) just google: facts about string theory and you all will be inspired like morgan freeman did inspire me ;)

Dejan Kosanovic posted:

As I listen to this song it makes me think. It makes think about my past, how I've grown, how I'm living, what ill be when I'm older who ill be married to, it just makes me think about life...and it feels pretty loving good. It helps to make you appreciate life for what it is. I can't believe how many times I thought about my future while listening to this masterpiece. This is hands down some deep poo poo. If you need anything to think about just play this, you'll start thinking about something then a hour late you're on something else. It's loving beautiful. You have to read this while listening to the song and you'll understand. This right here is why I love good music.

Dustin C posted:

This tune makes me feel claustrophobic within my own flesh. Trapped inside this body with no escape. Anyone ever heard the term "Astral Projection" I'm sure applied well you could see such places, in the video. If not there's always lucid dreaming.

VanWilderMan posted:

The picture is of a midget in a land full of floating marbles.

Sally fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 10, 2015

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

I'm not ashamed to admit I actually really like chillstep.

I am ashamed to admit I actually really like Dash Rendar.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Decent for background music. Terrible, terrible genre name though.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The crab is a really boring monster design and is also boring to fight which is kind of a problem!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

3) I'm guessing the 200 year difference in suit technology means Clarke doesn't have a bunch of tubes up in him, but our prologue redshirt probably did.

I'm going to assume that Isaac has a bunch of tubes shoved in his sensitive spots just because that makes this so much funnier.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Any suit that can function in space is going to be a sealed environment and so will almost certainly have at least a catheter for liquid waste disposal.

e: Assuming of course that the Dead Space universe has solved the whole infection issue with catheters, given that it is the future and they have medigel that can regenerate torn flesh in seconds I am going to assume infection is no longer an issue.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Frankly if I went to space and didn't have something jammed into my urethra by a machine, I would feel cheated.

• Locked thread