Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

death .cab for qt posted:

"I don't have powers!"

"I'VE GOT NOTHING MAN"

"NO NEW POWERS"

"WHO CARES IF BILLBOARDS AND TV SCREENS ARE MARKED ON MY MINI MAP WHAT DO I NEED TO USE THESE POWERS"

To be fair, when he first got smoke and neon, there were things he could do with those powers right away, and he got more from core relays. None of those things are working with this power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Dilb posted:

Having been a conduit for all of a couple of weeks, Delsin telling the guy that spent 6 years being experimented on that 'there's a better way to live' seems a bit patronizing.

I had forgotten what happened in the last video, so I was really confused as to why there were literal angels that no one seemed bothered by in the least.
Being "a bit patronizing" is what Delsin does and I wouldn't have it any other way. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Nidoking posted:

To be fair, when he first got smoke and neon, there were things he could do with those powers right away, and he got more from core relays. None of those things are working with this power.

This raises the idea that the powers might have some kind of, like, mental component. Delsin had a little in common with Smoke and Neon, but I can completely believe that he can't get himself in a Eugene mindset.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Glazius posted:

This raises the idea that the powers might have some kind of, like, mental component. Delsin had a little in common with Smoke and Neon, but I can completely believe that he can't get himself in a Eugene mindset.

I think they do, at least in Eugenes case.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I think Eugene's powers manifest in angels/demons/swords because of his nerdiness and that video would manifest differently for people who aren't turbodorks.
Delsin just uses Eugene as a base and that's why he gets angels/devils/swords.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

nah, they probably manifested based on the game they mentioned previously, since i can imagine he would be the kind of turbodork who would play one game obsessively and not much else since people like that do exist. I bet if he played a sci-fi game it would be robots and power armor.

Basically what I'm saying is Eugene is a waste of video game based superpowers. Delsin probably cant do much better because he can only copy stuff Eugene can do.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 3, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You see a lot more of what Eugene can do in Last Light. He's not limited to just these things, he's doing Angels and Demons because he wants to.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
The game you are talking about is indeed True Crime: Streets of LA, an obscure GTA knock-off with a few interesting ideas (you could have diverging paths whether you are a good or bad cop at some points in the story). And you do indeed fight a dragon, in a Triad boss's basement/arena.
And yeah, Delsin's patronizing is rather unpleasant when applied to both of his fellows conduits, considering the poo poo they went through. A smartass character is funny, a petty, patronizing poo poo isn't.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Look man, Delsin just wants to get Eugene laid. :colbert:

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
:siren: Graffiti Roundup the Second :siren:

Couldn't really hover over the options since a lot of these were in restricted areas, sorry!!

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Love the 'Suspect Sighted!' right at the end.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What is the purpose of "abandon"? If you hear a random patrol pull up and chase you?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Glazius posted:

What is the purpose of "abandon"? If you hear a random patrol pull up and chase you?

I always thought that would make the spraypaint missions actually interesting, but as far as I can tell, nothing ever interrupts you. I've had people walk right in from of Delsin while he's spraying the wall.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, he's no Banksy, that's for sure.

BTW does anyone here do that type of stencil art? I have a hard time following how the patterns for each layer works in the overlays.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It works pretty well, though it would be difficult to get all the layers to line up perfectly and tape them down in place by himself. He also paints over fresh black paint with white in some stencils which is :argh:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Been a bit since this got an update, but I actually got the chance to play about an hour of this game at Holiday Matsuri over the three days of the convention.

It's definitely very fun and extremely pretty, though it starts to lose steam if you try to free roam and do side missions and such for long periods. Controlling Delsin feels kind of floaty, as if he lacks weight and is simply gliding over the terrain while a running animation plays, but the controls are so easy and instinctive that I could readily fight and win even when dropped directly into a mission later than this LP has currently reached; most of my deaths were due to inexperience with the capabilities of the unique enemies.

One flaw I've found is that smoke powers feel kind of blah after neon and especially after video. They aren't nearly as pretty and the attacks are simpler in appearance and deployment, more comparable to the lightning powers of the first game, and neon and video's movement powers massively speed up travel to the point where smoke is basically outdated. Smoke seems like it's meant to be your emergency standby when there's no handy neon or video (video is especially difficult to drain in some areas).

Also, the graffiti controls are terrible. It uses Sixaxis (unless there's some option to change I haven't found) and the tilting and shifting aren't very precise or instinctive.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
It might take 1,000 years but we are going to see this through. Sorry about that! Got super burned out but everything's getting back on track.

:siren: Heaven, Hell, and Delsin (and Eugene) or uncut commentary :siren: (guesting: ilthrel, bucketcapacity) The commentary cuts out at around 17:15 because my life is hell and nothing ever works--you're not missing much other than "yup, Video is neat" though.

Here's solo commentary of the last episode (Don't Be a Dick) as well.

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 10, 2015

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Uhh, commentary just sort of cuts out around 17:15 in the uncut video

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Is the solo commentary for episode 7 ever going up?

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Uhh, commentary just sort of cuts out around 17:15 in the uncut video

Oh. Good, that's great--good sign of things to come. Not really sure how that happened since the original file's audio is fine?? I can reupload it, but you don't really miss much other than three guys saying "yeah, Video is pretty cool". I wouldn't be surprised if I managed to gently caress that up somehow too!!

e: sorry, that probably came across as sort of belligerent! Thanks for letting me know even if it's sort of disappointing for me to discover, ha.

Polaron posted:

Is the solo commentary for episode 7 ever going up?

Later today, it's encoding now then it's gotta be uploaded.

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 10, 2015

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Yay, we're back and Video is cool!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm still amazed at how good the facial animation is during the cutscenes.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Swords, because the current sword reminds me of the dash hit that ultra greatswords have in ds2 :v:

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
The solo commentary of episode 7 (I'm the Smoke Guy) is up now. Finally, months later, everything is caught up.

I was hoping to start on First Light tomorrow but that really depends on whether or not ilthrel ends up getting back to me at some point. We'll see what happens though. If you don't want to wait for me to go through it (and I don't really blame you), First Light is free for Playstation+ members for January.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So the angels actually do subdual kills as a nuke? I imagine the devils don't.

It's nice to have your nukes respect your alignment.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
All the nukes respect your alignment, so good ones subdue (or at least provide you with similar karma benefits) and evil ones destroy everything. It's pretty nice!

Okay, so scheduling time to record was a bit more challenging than I anticipated and I felt sort of bad about just dropping off a super short video so: unleash the :siren: m e g a u p d a t e :siren:

10. As Seen On TV, or solo commentary

11. Tyrant Wounded, or solo commentary

Oh, and let's get started with this:

First Light describes the event of Abigail “Fetch” Walker’s life on the run with her brother through a series of flashbacks, explaining what happened to Brooke Augustine during her detainment by the Department of Unified Protection. That’s about as vague as I can keep it for anyone who wants to watch these but not Second Son.

Joining me will be ilthrel as per usual, maybe some other folks, maybe not. Who knows!! I guess I should mention that I’m doing this one blind because I’m not going to repeat my mistake of practicing and burning out. There’s not a whole lot of fluff to cut out but there won’t be a lot of meandering or anything.

Seriously though, should I play/watch this or Second Son first?

Either. Our commentary will possibly reference some events from in Second Son but those won’t be absolutely integral to your understanding of the video or anything. Of course, I don’t think this’ll be a big issue all the same but what the hell, maybe it is.

Any big gameplay differences?

Sooort of. The core gameplay of “shoot bad guys in their weak spots” does not change, but Abigail herself has a few different tricks up her sleeve. If you’re familiar with Delsin’s set of powers, you’ll find yourself feeling pretty comfortable with her toolset almost immediately. Other than that, there are some open-world objectives which we won’t be doing other than like one or two because they become very same-y very quickly.

Also there’s arena-style garbage that is some pretty obvious padding but we’ll get there when we get there.

Anyways, let's get this show on the road.

1. All I Do is Stupid, or solo commentary

Lastly, if anyone wants to suggest a thread title that reflects our covering First Light AND Second Son, go for it.

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 10, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Sometimes you have to murder a dude while his kid watches from a boat.

This is not one of those times. Spare.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Deslin is a man strong enough to move on.

Spare

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Hank didn't kill Reggie, Augustine did. He was a patsy, not the true enemy.

spare

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I'm going to put :10bux: toward losing a few frames and Saving the animals... Wait this is the wrong thing but still the concept applies.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

This is where they really start playing with the soundtrack. Double Crossed plays during the Augustine boss fight, but it actually starts during the previous cutscene. And the game keeps the in game sound effects muted until the guitar track kicks in so all you get is Delsin screaming and a woman wailing ethereally.

They pull something similar with Smoke and Mirrors the song that plays during the first fight after you pull yourself out of the water. They actually have it coded so that the percussion breaks in the minute you start attacking, though they included a fairly long loop before that just in case you decided to stand there stealthed for a while.

Also Spare the morality hit for doing otherwise is tough to work off this late in the game.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Spare Hank

Reggie wouldn't want Delsin to be a killer like that.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Spare

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Spare, because he's a redneck, he doesn't know better.

Also, how is he captured by concrete, when he can turn his entire body into smoke?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, I'd go with spare. It's just too... cartoonishly evil otherwise.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hank didn't kill Reggie, and Augustine had his balls in a vice. Spare him.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
I think the "year" you were looking for was "Twenty X-teen"

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Hank didn't kill Reggie, and Augustine had his balls in a vice. Spare him.

This. Spare the dude.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Pick up the Spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

OK, I'm beginning to see what makes the faces look odd, despite the facial animation being so good - it's the teeth. The teeth don't look realistic.

• Locked thread