Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lil Peeler posted:

This kind of poo poo is doubly hilarious to me for several reasons. I know some of these people personally as they graduated from my high school and we were all in the nerd clique. I went on to become a journalist and helped make a positive impact in a community dealing with gentrification (a story I wrote about a middle school actually got administrators reassigned and increased the district's focus on anti-violence) while they get to fellate their egos by producing apps that do jack poo poo. But they are more valued in society because of great marketing and PR.

The Shyp lady really believed that they were changing the world of shipping. Not just believed but sounded legitimately exited to work for them and be a part of the revolution

And is I were a millionaire I would come to work wearing shorts made out of crocs and I wouldn't give a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

thathonkey posted:

Yeah that is probably the funniest part about SV type technologists. They truly believe they are making the world a better place. It's stunning. Of course really all theyre doing is, at best, lining the pockets of already rich capitalists.

Also shut the gently caress up you idiots tj miller isnt racist or misogynist

*clears throat and projects voice*

i wanted fried chicken from the cafeteria but it seems like Tyrone, our black employee, got there before me because there was none left

im NOT racist btw, im being subversive, and uhm, making fun of ppl who actually think that way or something, im not at all using racial stereotypes as the fodder for lovely jokes

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
did you really want chicken or is this some sort of elaborate ruse?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

ashgromnies posted:

i wanted fried chicken from the cafeteria but it seems like Tyrone, our black employee, got there before me because there was none left

im NOT racist btw, im being subversive, and uhm, making fun of ppl who actually think that way or something, im not at all using racial stereotypes as the fodder for lovely jokes

nice editing your post, racist

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

WhyteRyce posted:

The Shyp lady really believed that they were changing the world of shipping. Not just believed but sounded legitimately exited to work for them and be a part of the revolution

And is I were a millionaire I would come to work wearing shorts made out of crocs and I wouldn't give a poo poo

Shyp is butler service specifically for mail. It's literally just renting a servant for a cause. Come to think of it, that's a lot of this poo poo. "Changing the world" really means "making things easier for people with money to burn"

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I would wear 10 thousand dollar suits everywhere and look down on everyone.

Me too. At the end of each day I would remove the suit and have it incinerated.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I use uber constantly, the wait is never more than 2 minutes (a lot of uber drivers just live near me) and I totally want some of those mealsquares

suck it gbs

(yeah I only got ot page 5)

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

1gnoirents posted:

I use uber constantly, the wait is never more than 2 minutes (a lot of uber drivers just live near me) and I totally want some of those mealsquares

suck it gbs

The problem with giving Uber more money is that they keep dropping the rates for their drivers. It used to be pretty profitable for me to drive for Uber but I said gently caress this I have better ways to make cash. When you use their service you're directly supporting their lovely payment policies, and it's not like they couldn't bump the driver pay back to where it was with the cash they have now.

All techie stuff basically boils down to "get someone to do something for you for cheap." It's not changing the way things are done, just degrading people who do it to low wage servants.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Not a Children posted:

Shyp is butler service specifically for mail. It's literally just renting a servant for a cause. Come to think of it, that's a lot of this poo poo. "Changing the world" really means "making things easier for people with money to burn"

Yeah apps like uber, lyft, shyp, etc are just derisive finger-snaps at the army of surplus labor expected to be at the beck and call of the wealthy at all times.

The best way to get VC money rolling in is to develop an app that puts a lot of people out of work.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 10, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I still don't understand how Shyp can claim that using them is cheaper than shipping yourself. I get that they are supposed to "know" the cheapest way to ship something, but are they just assuming that everyone grabs the largest flat rate box they can regardless of what they are shipping? Or do they think people are dumb enough to believe that paying someone to do something for you can be cheaper than doing it yourself using the same available services.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Shyp is literally the dumbest thing ever conceived. Shippers already allow you to schedule pickups. God drat that's a stupid loving idea for a startup.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Lil Peeler posted:

The problem with giving Uber more money is that they keep dropping the rates for their drivers. It used to be pretty profitable for me to drive for Uber but I said gently caress this I have better ways to make cash. When you use their service you're directly supporting their lovely payment policies, and it's not like they couldn't bump the driver pay back to where it was with the cash they have now.

All techie stuff basically boils down to "get someone to do something for you for cheap." It's not changing the way things are done, just degrading people who do it to low wage servants.

So... I should.... drive drunk... or pay a taxi? lmao

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

revmoo posted:

Shyp is literally the dumbest thing ever conceived. Shippers already allow you to schedule pickups. God drat that's a stupid loving idea for a startup.

And I can grab as many flat rate boxes at I want the next time I'm in a supermarket that doubles as a PO (or just walk into a PO and grab them from the self-service kiosk), so when I need to ship something I just grab from the pile, wrap it in the same packing crap I have from my Amazon deliveries, and print out postage online.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Uber is NOT a taxi service and is NOT subject to the same rules!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I deeply hope that everyone who uses Uber is killed by their Uber driver, or everyone who drives for Uber is murdered by their passengers. One way or the other.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lil Peeler posted:

This kind of poo poo is doubly hilarious to me for several reasons. I know some of these people personally as they graduated from my high school and we were all in the nerd clique. I went on to become a journalist and helped make a positive impact in a community dealing with gentrification (a story I wrote about a middle school actually got administrators reassigned and increased the district's focus on anti-violence) while they get to fellate their egos by producing apps that do jack poo poo. But they are more valued in society because of great marketing and PR.

More money = better than

WhyteRyce posted:

I'd shake things up and show up naked every once in a while and look every single person in the eye and dare them to say something

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Germstore posted:

I deeply hope that everyone who uses Uber is killed by their Uber driver, or everyone who drives for Uber is murdered by their passengers. One way or the other.

i dont because that seems tragic

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

i dont because that seems tragic

I lust for Uber death.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

gonna keep using uber and laugh at the dumb retards that drive for them destroying their cars

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

1gnoirents posted:

suck it gbs

yea waiting 2mins vs 5 for a cab what a piece of poo poo you are

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

ashgromnies posted:

You're insufferable you realize that right?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I would wear 10 thousand dollar suits everywhere and look down on everyone.

I'd do that too, but I'd make sure to attend at least one event in crocs, a speedo, and a neon fright wig because why the gently caress shouldn't I if I'm a billionaire?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Did the CEO of Uber gently caress all of your girlfriends or something?

Oh wait you're goons you don't have a gf unlike cool Uber users xD.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Oh wait you're goons you don't have a gf unlike cool Uber users xD.

I unironically hope an unlicensed ex-con Uber driver steals your liver.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Have you seen the CEO of uber? obvs he did

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

thathonkey posted:

peacocking like a motherfucker

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

my great aunt has those glasses

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
They never shoulda given these niggas money

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

:siren:SHRIMP AND WHITE WINE:siren:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

peacocking like a motherfucker

That's just his face. It's rather unfortunate i agree

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

thathonkey posted:

god zuckerberg is just the ugliest, awkardest billionaire to ever walk the earth. money just can't fix him or clean up his oily face can it? who is the guy in crocs tho

uhh hello notch is a billionaire now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Germstore posted:

The indian version of the Uber app includes a rape in progress panic button.

Tautologicus posted:

They never shoulda given these niggas money

Another thing that owns about the VC part of the tech culture is VC firms make made bank even if the startups burn out.

VCs get paid a big management yearly fee tied to the total assets under management.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

etalian posted:

The indian version of the Uber app includes a rape in progress panic button.

Remember when they added that $1 "don't get raped" fee? Classic Uber.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

It is illegal for taxi companies to hire ex-cons, so while it isn't a guarantee that your driver isn't a violent rapist at least an effort is being made. Luckily Uber isn't a taxi company somehow and so a convicted rapist could be driving your not-taxi. It's cool though because the savings are passed on to Uber.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This is Silicon Valley literally buying or renting the space at the most beautiful concert hall in the Bay Area to throw a fake awards show to give themselves awards.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

etalian posted:

This is Silicon Valley literally buying or renting the space at the most beautiful concert hall in the Bay Area to throw a fake awards show to give themselves awards.

jesus i just looked up the location. davies symphony hall ffs... :negative:

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Have Uber drivers figured out they need to pay self-employment taxes yet?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PotatoJudge posted:

Have Uber drivers figured out they need to pay self-employment taxes yet?

Lol at uber drivers cause its impossible to work under the table (or receive tips)..cant evade the taxman in any way. One of the advantages of being a regular cabbie. Don't have to claim poo poo if you don't want to.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Do have a couple cabbies that are all like, "if you need a ride call me directly." I assume they're skimming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

Do have a couple cabbies that are all like, "if you need a ride call me directly." I assume they're skimming.

No, taxi companies don't take a percentage of rides, they charge by the day. Drivers can do whatever they want as long as they pay. And many own their own car. But if they insist on you paying cash that's a different story...

• Locked thread