Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Lycus posted:

I bet he was so happy when he saw Rory.

And then...

quote:

Occupation ‏@SAOccupation 17m17 minutes ago
If Rory's not fuckin real

Toxxupation posted:

god the fact that i have a paper trail of my reactions makes this so much better/worse

what in the loving gently caress

God that'd freak me out 6 months on to be able to go and do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Autons are fine villains when they're 100% convincing duplicates and not loving stupid shiny idiots.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

quote:

Occupation ‏@SAOccupation 11m11 minutes ago
Man there sure are a lot of lovely doctor who villains

Nimon be praiiiised

God, the old show had some terrible designs. The new ones mostly look consistently great in comparison.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DetoxP posted:

God, the old show had some terrible designs. The new ones mostly look consistently great in comparison.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

I cannot loving believe that the bad guy in rose is plot crucial to "The Pandorica Opens"

I cannot loving believe this loving bullshit

Hey Occ from 6 months ago, remember when you rightly said you hated nearly all of that poo poo? WELL GUESS WHAT MOTHER FUCKER IT'S GONNA BE INTEGRAL TO AN EPISODE YOU ADORE A HALF YEAR LATER

It's not exactly an integral connection. It works just as well if you haven't seen Rose.

In fact, it works better if you haven't seen Rose.

In fact, life works better if you haven't seen Rose.

Don't see Rose.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

DetoxP posted:

The Ark in Space was a legit good story but man there were a lot of goofy bubble-wrap in that serial

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Integral to the plot!

Also the original fake boyfriend.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Oxxidation: boy where have we seen those hand-guns before
gently caress
THE GODDAMN NESTENE CONSCIOUSNESS
Oxxidation: RETURN OF THE PLASTIC BOYFRIEND, MOTHERFUCKER
gently caress YOU
gently caress YOU
MOTHERFUCKER
gently caress
Oxxidation: PI
PI
PI
PIZZAAAAA

Hahahahahahahaaaaa! Yeeeessss! It's all I hoped it would be, and more! Thank gods I caught up with this in time for this one beautiful moment!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Oxxidation posted:

Oxxidation: boy where have we seen those hand-guns before
gently caress
THE GODDAMN NESTENE CONSCIOUSNESS
Oxxidation: RETURN OF THE PLASTIC BOYFRIEND, MOTHERFUCKER
gently caress YOU
gently caress YOU
MOTHERFUCKER
gently caress
Oxxidation: PI
PI
PI
PIZZAAAAA

:allears: it's everything I ever wanted

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

after watchin better call saul i'm all like, "doctor who?"

:iceburn: :nattyburn: :master: :stoke: :synpa: :page3: :69snypa:

With witty lines like that you should be writing this show.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

MikeJF posted:

It's not exactly an integral connection. It works just as well if you haven't seen Rose.

In fact, it works better if you haven't seen Rose.

In fact, life works better if you haven't seen Rose.

Don't see Rose.

I still haven't seen Rose, because literally every single time I find out a network around here is airing the Eccleston season, it's during or after Rose.

And I'm sure as gently caress never going to actually watch Rose willingly, from the snippets I've seen.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Cleretic posted:

I still haven't seen Rose, because literally every single time I find out a network around here is airing the Eccleston season, it's during or after Rose.

And I'm sure as gently caress never going to actually watch Rose willingly, from the snippets I've seen.

It isn't actually that bad compared to rest of the season. It's a campy introduction to the concept of Doctor Who that has few dud moments and few nice ones.

Still much better than the 10th doctors introduction!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

adhuin posted:

It isn't actually that bad compared to rest of the season. It's a campy introduction to the concept of Doctor Who that has few dud moments and few nice ones.

No.

quote:

Still much better than the 10th doctors introduction!

No.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
This was the first episode of Doctor Who I ever really watched.

I was visiting my Brother and Sister in Law and they were like "Wait, you haven't seen Doctor Who? Oh, we have the newest episode on our DVR, we'll watch it together tonight, don't worry, we'll explain what's going on."

I knew the basics like, space/time travelling brit in a police box but that was it. Within five minutes of this episode I gave up even attempting to understand what was going on and they were like "This is probably the worst episode ever to introduce someone to."

I still maintain that it is. I thought Doctor Who was confusing and terrible after watching this episode first.

They kept bugging me to actually watch Doctor Who for like 7 more months until I gave in.

And then starting with Rose I was like "How come the redheaded girl is blonde and the roman guy is black? This makes no sense. Wait, they change companions AND DOCTORS? WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS SHOW?" It's a wonder I ever stuck with it after that beginning. Also I hated the end of In Cold Blood even more because I knew how Rory was coming back already so it had no emotional impact on me.

I love this episode SO MUCH now.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I love how dark this episode finishes :allears:

Amy: dead
Rory: not-real, murdered his fiance
Doctor: trapped forever in an unescapable prison while being unable to save the universe from imminent collapse
River: stuck in the Tardis that's about to explode and collapse the universe

And it's all because the Doctor played the 'know who I am and be very loving afraid' card too many times.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
"Basically...run."

"Yeah, no."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Blasmeister posted:

And it's all because the Doctor played the 'know who I am and be very loving afraid' card too many times.

I'm always surprised by how many people I've read who don't seem to grasp that the big speech he makes DOESN'T scare the aliens into staying away - that they're up there snickering and laughing because he's fallen completely into their trap by doing just what they wanted him to do, he's allowed his own reputation to be turned into a weapon against him.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

I cannot loving believe that the bad guy in rose is plot crucial to "The Pandorica Opens"

I cannot loving believe this loving bullshit

Hey Occ from 6 months ago, remember when you rightly said you hated nearly all of that poo poo? WELL GUESS WHAT MOTHER FUCKER IT'S GONNA BE INTEGRAL TO AN EPISODE YOU ADORE A HALF YEAR LATER

More Moffat cleaning up RTD's mess.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This is one of my favourite cliffhangers ever and I love how The Doctor's tiresome bragging comes back to bite him.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The last 10 minutes of this episode are basically the highlight of the whole series for me. There's a really wonderful sense of a trap closing as the box opens, all the world's evils are unleashed, and the box is sealed shut again with hope still inside. Gotcha!

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This is one of my favourite cliffhangers ever and I love how The Doctor's tiresome bragging comes back to bite him.

I like how you call it tiresome, because just in that episode comes one of my favorite Eleven blowhard monologues.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I figure he never entirely grew out of 10's Timelord Victorious phase. He toned it down, but in The Lodger he's still playing silly buggers with the rules of time. Crossing his own timestream and messing with causality to get Craig's old flatmate out of the way and lead himself to the right house. It's delightful and having him brood about whether he should do it or not would have hurt the story, but it still shows tremendous arrogance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

I figure he never entirely grew out of 10's Timelord Victorious phase. He toned it down, but in The Lodger he's still playing silly buggers with the rules of time. Crossing his own timestream and messing with causality to get Craig's old flatmate out of the way and lead himself to the right house. It's delightful and having him brood about whether he should do it or not would have hurt the story, but it still shows tremendous arrogance.

The shenanigans in The Lodger really aren't on par with trying to unwrite the suicide of one of the most crucial people in humanity's history. This is fact.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mo0 posted:

I like how you call it tiresome, because just in that episode comes one of my favorite Eleven blowhard monologues.
That speech becomes retroactively great due to lines like "Remember every black day I ever stopped you and then, and then... do the smart thing".

I think the pattern of him just trying to use his fame to beat enemies is something Moffat specifically set up separately to the Time Lord Victorious stuff. It first shows up in Forest of the Dead, afterall.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oxxidation posted:

The shenanigans in The Lodger really aren't on par with trying to unwrite the suicide of one of the most crucial people in humanity's history. This is fact.

I agree, but it has been said again and again that crossing your own timestream is really really bad. Super bad. Might accidentally summon langoliers bad. He found the right house right away because future him left Amy's note. And the room was available because future him arranged for the old flatmate to win the Dead Uncle Lottery. The changes weren't bad if he'd done them to someone else, but doing it to his own timestream was dangerous.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MikeJF posted:

The Autons are fine villains when they're 100% convincing duplicates and not loving stupid shiny idiots.

I kind of like the 70's concept where they're pretty freakishly plastic but wear masks.

And are we doing crappy old monsters to fill time? Because if so, say hello to your new masters.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

I agree, but it has been said again and again that crossing your own timestream is really really bad. Super bad. Might accidentally summon langoliers bad. He found the right house right away because future him left Amy's note. And the room was available because future him arranged for the old flatmate to win the Dead Uncle Lottery. The changes weren't bad if he'd done them to someone else, but doing it to his own timestream was dangerous.

It really wasn't, it was light and goofy and funny. You're writing dark significance into a scenario that never once suggested it.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Oxxidation posted:

He wasnt even a very good doodler

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Speaking of predestination loops, the cracks are caused by the Tardis exploding, which happened because the Doctor wasn't there to stop it, because he just got imprisoned by bad guys who used Amy to get to him. So really the ultimate cause of the cracks is the Doctor crash landing in Amy's back garden and deciding to investigate the cracks. I doubt Moffat was going for that as it's more tenuous than the classic "man is given a watch by his future self which he then gives to his past self" but he just can't help himself.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

How is "RETURN OF THE PLASTIC BOYFRIEND, MOTHERFUCKER" not the new thread title yet?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Speaking of predestination loops, the cracks are caused by the Tardis exploding, which happened because the Doctor wasn't there to stop it, because he just got imprisoned by bad guys who used Amy to get to him. So really the ultimate cause of the cracks is the Doctor crash landing in Amy's back garden and deciding to investigate the cracks. I doubt Moffat was going for that as it's more tenuous than the classic "man is given a watch by his future self which he then gives to his past self" but he just can't help himself.

The problem with that kind of logic is that there's always one step before it in the chain. The cracks were caused by the Doctor crashing in Amy's backyard. Why did it crash? Because his previous regeneration had a huge drama bomb at the end of his time. And that was caused by Wilf not figuring out how to use the door properly. And he wouldn't have wound up in there except he let that other guy out when the Master went Super Saiyan. And somewhere down that line you've got the Doctor hanging out in a junkyard in 1963. And you keep going back and you get to Rassilon saying, "You know what's cool? Putting giant wooden stakes on the front of starships so you can fight space vampires with them Taking a supernova and building a time machine out of it."

A lot of events filter together to lead to the end result.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 11, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Random Stranger posted:

And you keep going back and you get to Rassilon saying, "You know what's cool? Putting giant wooden stakes on the front of starships so you can fight space vampires with them Taking a supernova and building a time machine out of it."

Omega: Wow, you must have a lot of guts to pilot a ship that kicks off that first supernova?
Rassilon: Well, about that..... :ninja:

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Xenoborg posted:

More Moffat cleaning up RTD's mess.

I have to wonder how conscious a lot of it was, because a lot of stuff from this series really just seems like Moffat trying to do what Rusty did but less crap.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
A few months ago when I voted on this episode I didn't remember all that happened in it. Then sometime after Occ started this series I suddenly remembered, and then I realized.

I voted B for this episode. I voted B. What the gently caress?

edit: On the subject of great old school Doctor Who villains, my favorite are the mummies from Pyramids of Mars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7sa1B0FhMM

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 11, 2015

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I'm amazed at how much I'd forgotten happens in this episode. I remembered most of the beginning, and then the Doctor being trapped at the end, but the rest was a pretty big blur (aside from the thumbs up moment, which is still fantastic). I couldn't even remember if Rory came back in this episode or the next. It made rewatching it a lot of fun, though, since it is a great episode.

I never realized that Rory and the Romans were supposed to be the plastic monsters either. I originally watched this episode before I watched anything from the first season, but even now I would never have pieced that together if it weren't for this thread. Until now I always thought they were just robots built by one of the races for their master plan.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hannibal Smith posted:

I never realized that Rory and the Romans were supposed to be the plastic monsters either. I originally watched this episode before I watched anything from the first season, but even now I would never have pieced that together if it weren't for this thread. Until now I always thought they were just robots built by one of the races for their master plan.
That's exactly what they are though, and it's why the episode works even if you've never seen a previous story with the Nestene in it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That's exactly what they are though, and it's why the episode works even if you've never seen a previous story with the Nestene in it.

Pretty much same goes for the bundle of old Enemies that got namedropped or shown at the end. Only thing you have to know about them is that they're baddies that hate Doctor.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

A few months ago when I voted on this episode I didn't remember all that happened in it. Then sometime after Occ started this series I suddenly remembered, and then I realized.

I voted B for this episode. I voted B. What the gently caress?

edit: On the subject of great old school Doctor Who villains, my favorite are the mummies from Pyramids of Mars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7sa1B0FhMM

Pyramids of Mars was one of the first 4th doctor serials I watched and it's great! Since they didn't have to spend money on making futuristic sets for the most part they actually were able to make some creative costumes. Sutekh is such an enjoyably evil villian.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Until this thread I completely forgot that Nestene were even a thing that had happened previously, despite having watched Rose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Pyramids of Mars also has one of my favorite classic Doctor Who tropes, where the Doctor would find the last surviving member/members of an alien species, and then he'd finish them off, because gently caress those guys.

And the first aliens he did it to were the Daleks!

• Locked thread