Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Casu Marzu posted:

This is such a weird comment I've seen for years. Like, theres a shitload of "elitist" attitudes in all the other subforums I read, but I feel like GWS is the only one that gets called out routinely.

I guess I'm the elitist if I don't see the elitism?

Every time I post a photo I feel bad because I scroll up and see beautifully shot and arranged photos of highly complex dishes and meanwhile I'm all check out this 3 ingredient stir fry I took with my cell phone camera

And yet nobody calls me out on my dumbassery so ???

IDK GWS in my experience is only anything approaching mean if you do something that starts sailing us back to the days of meatship. Let's never dock in that port again.

But uh can we stop dogpiling the new guy because he made something we consider gross? They're only sassin' back to people who start poo poo and seem actually interested in Learning More.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
I made fun of the dude for putting a bunch of pasta in a wrap.
He told me to gently caress off and somehow the whole world kept-a spinning.

Somewhere, he's still eating buffalo chicken, and somewhere I'm still a prick.
It's a wonder how that works, but don't let that stop us from having a group conscious about it.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Why do you guys keep forgetting the rice? It was 2 kinds of alfredo-sauced-pasta and rice (buttered, Montreal-steak-seasoned rice) in a wrap. If you're going to be outraged, at least get it right. He said it was delicious, and I'm sure it was. I'm also sure he was high as gently caress. :)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Crossposting from th[ general thread.

Broke down my first chicken today, how do you guys think I did? Overall it was not too hard though I had a little trouble extracting the breasts. Once I really felt what the joint felt like at the thighs and wings it was pretty easy to cut them.

Obligatory small slice on my finger from flicking the new chef's knife :/

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

You did way better than I did, the first time I broke down a chicken. Hope you washed your cut really well. :ohdear:

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

psychokitty posted:

Why do you guys keep forgetting the rice? It was 2 kinds of alfredo-sauced-pasta and rice (buttered, Montreal-steak-seasoned rice) in a wrap. If you're going to be outraged, at least get it right. He said it was delicious, and I'm sure it was. I'm also sure he was high as gently caress. :)

Based on the pictures of him posted in another forum, I'm pretty sure he's just an insufferable dumbass.

Nothing I post in here is fancy and all my pics are phone pics and nobody dogpiles me. Probably because I don't put loving anime faces in my posts.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Basic curry over brown rice, with a couple fried eggs on top. Onion, carrot, red pepper, and kale.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I made chicken piccatta. Rice could have been a little more exciting, I just got lazy.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

overdesigned posted:

I made chicken piccatta. Rice could have been a little more exciting, I just got lazy.

That is an appropriate amount of capers, good job.

Axikal
Apr 13, 2014

Supreme Dragoncat

goodness posted:

I made something that reminded me of you and thought you would want to try it out.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676982&pagenumber=24#post441413785

I just read that and holy poo poo. I think my stomach turned and digested itself. I have to try this now.

I'm still having trouble doing chicken breading. It always just peels off or sticks to the foil (non-stick foil!)

--
Holy poo poo are some of you still whining about the pasta wrap? And you're worried about me bringing down the quality of the subforum. Stop bitching and just post some loving food already.

Thanks to those remaining encouraging. ^=^ (for you, Drink).

(from a recent hangout)

Axikal fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 12, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Jyrraeth posted:

You did way better than I did, the first time I broke down a chicken. Hope you washed your cut really well. :ohdear:

What do you mean washed the cut? Now I'm s scared :ohdear:

Like run some water on the chicken and clean the knife after I'm done?

Axikal
Apr 13, 2014

Supreme Dragoncat

goodness posted:

What do you mean washed the cut? Now I'm s scared :ohdear:

Like run some water on the chicken and clean the knife after I'm done?

Didn't you mention accidentally cutting yourself on your new knife?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Axikal posted:

Didn't you mention accidentally cutting yourself on your new knife?

Oh dur, yeah I did! I thought you meant the cut of chicken haha.

The injury was a good lesson to learn. This is the first knife I have ever owned that was actually sharp.

Axikal
Apr 13, 2014

Supreme Dragoncat

goodness posted:

The injury was a good lesson to learn. This is the first knife I have ever owned that was actually sharp.

Well remember: Lick the food, not the knife ;)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

goodness posted:

Congrats on your new knife

(Nobody owns a knife until it draws blood)

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

goodness posted:

Just wait until you get your first mandoline!

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Axikal posted:

I'm still having trouble doing chicken breading. It always just peels off or sticks to the foil (non-stick foil!)

Breading is traditionally fried, not baked on.
When breading is fried, it doesn't hit anything that it could stick to (being submerged in fat).
If you're putting battered chicken onto a cookie sheet, the batter has time to slide off the chicken
and isn't going to set as fast as with a fryer because oil transfers heat faster and sets it quicker.

If you cannot fry your chicken, make sure you've dried your chicken thoroughly, then dredge it in flour, then your batter.
It's never going to be as good as proper frying, but if your chicken is dry and dredged, your batter may stick to it better than the foil.

Really though, just fry it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

kittenmittons posted:

Just wait until you get your first mandoline!

Yeah. First day, I lost a good millimeter of thumb

Customers who bought this mandoline also bought: CHAIN GLOVE.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Brawnfire posted:

I lost two tips in one slice. This machine was not made for lefties.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
My mandoline has a special weird grippy thing because the manufacturers correctly guessed that otherwise I'd bleed to death on the kitchen floor.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

pajeon drunk snack

weisswurst and ultra crispy taters and roasted carrots

monte cristo madam with rye bread

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Brawnfire posted:

The year 2000. I was working the bar and we had a kitchen that served lunch only. For some reason, people decided to hang rubber mats on the industrial strength meat cutter thingy to dry after washing them. I was in a rush, grabbed one and felt a weird thing on my thumb.

Took off enough skin and meat to almost see the bone. Still finished my 10 hour shift behind the bar (super glue, band aid, latex glove) and then went to the emergency room at like 5am. They called me an idiot and sent me home with five stitches.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

My mandoline has a special weird grippy thing because the manufacturers correctly guessed that otherwise I'd bleed to death on the kitchen floor.

Is it the spiky clamp you use on the vegetable because that thing has never worked well for me

Only managed to ding myself once but my old roommate did lose a good bit of thumb. They never found the piece.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Casu Marzu posted:

pajeon drunk snack

weisswurst and ultra crispy taters and roasted carrots

monte cristo madam with rye bread

Holy poo poo
:fap:

Did you put pastrami in the monte cristo or ham?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Thai peanut red curry with sticky rice:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Is it the spiky clamp you use on the vegetable because that thing has never worked well for me

Only managed to ding myself once but my old roommate did lose a good bit of thumb. They never found the piece.

Yeah that spiky thing works for about half of a solid vegetable like a potato or an onion or something but it will gently caress up a tomato hardcore

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

it works well on hobart deli slicers but only on large pieces of meat so we would freehand a lot (okay almost all) of them. felino fiore was especially fun because it was maybe 1" diameter and extremely dry and firm, and the width of the spinning blade was >1" to the blade guard, so you'd have to feed it directly into the blade by applying pressure directly perpendicular to the blade while feeding it in with your thumb and trying not to lop it off

of course we all managed to lop off a chunk of thumb on that loving thing at some point but we all got it reattached. i almost lost a finger to some sopressata too when I was in a hurry to go on lunch break and the heat from my hand caused the grease to slicken and off went the tip of my index finger. which was flopping on by a thread and got reattached fine.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

When I got my immersion circulator I joked that I was going to buy a torch and pack steak for lunch at work all the time like a boss.
Today I tried to make good on that promise to my coworkers by bringing in 2 tri tips and searing them at the office for us all to eat.

Pictured:

Tri Tip at 135 degrees
Tallow Gravy
Asparagus with 65c egg and chinese sausage
Charred boiled carrots with goat cheese, honey, and granola

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Woof! Woof! posted:

When I got my immersion circulator I joked that I was going to buy a torch and pack steak for lunch at work all the time like a boss.
Today I tried to make good on that promise to my coworkers by bringing in 2 tri tips and searing them at the office for us all to eat.

Pictured:

Tri Tip at 135 degrees
Tallow Gravy
Asparagus with 65c egg and chinese sausage
Charred boiled carrots with goat cheese, honey, and granola

Looks really good. So are you cooking the protein in the circulator then searing it with the torch?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
New thread title:

I put the protein in the circulator then seared it with a torch. (What did you cook last night?)

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Looks really good. So are you cooking the protein in the circulator then searing it with the torch?

Yep!

CrazySalamander posted:

New thread title:

I put the protein in the circulator then seared it with a torch. (What did you cook last night?)

To be fair half my posts are smoked meat

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Holy poo poo

My family always made these with ham, turkey, swiss and cheddar on sourdough for special ocassion brunch, and holy poo poo.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

my insomnia was really bad and i couldn't sleep at all last night, so i made red velvet cupcakes to share with my class this morning

there were a few people who didn't want any, which is fine. but one of them was a girl who looked visibly repulsed by them. then when one of our later instructors came in he brought some standard safeway sugar cookies with sprinkles and she was all over those. idgi

also cooking red velvet anything makes your kitchen look like a murder scene

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Holy poo poo

It's all ham. Pastrami sounds p good though.

wheez the roux posted:

there were a few people who didn't want any, which is fine. but one of them was a girl who looked visibly repulsed by them. then when one of our later instructors came in he brought some standard safeway sugar cookies with sprinkles and she was all over those. idgi

Those look great and that chick is crazy

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Some people don't know that red velvet is just chocolate. When they see the red they think that it's some strange savory tomato/pepper sort of muffin. While that might actually turn out good if done well, to the average person it just sounds gross (especially if they don't like tomatoes).

e:or possibly blood muffins, I suppose. I've seen blood meringue.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

someone else asked and I clarified that it's glorified chocolate so she was aware

i'm definitely gonna make morcilla blood muffins now though because hail satan

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
My wife refuses to eat anything that has blood as an ingredient. It's a pity because it can be used in a similar manner to eggs for a lot of things, and doesn't see a whole lot of experimentation these days.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CrazySalamander posted:

My wife refuses to eat anything that has blood as an ingredient. It's a pity because it can be used in a similar manner to eggs for a lot of things, and doesn't see a whole lot of experimentation these days.

If you can get your hands on some human blood, you can feed her that and then she'll turn into a wendigo, always hungry for more human flesh.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
The better half brought me a pile of mixed mushrooms to mess around with earlier in the week, so I went for what was probably the easy, but delicious option:

Mixed mushroom risotto, smoked haddock, lemon-flavoured asparagus.

And, because we're going out later for a valentine's meal, and having a few drinks, I figured I should prepare something for soaking up the alcohol later, so...

Chicken breast puff parcel stuffed with tarragon porcini butter, with black onion seed.
Should do the job nicely.

wheez the roux posted:

also cooking red velvet anything makes your kitchen look like a murder scene

A delicious murder scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Olpainless posted:

And, because we're going out later for a valentine's meal, and having a few drinks, I figured I should prepare something for soaking up the alcohol later, so...

Chicken breast puff parcel stuffed with tarragon porcini butter, with black onion seed.
Should do the job nicely.

Wow. This is something I need to do. Is puff pastry difficult to work with? Do you buy premade or make it from scratch?

• Locked thread