Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My favorite part of the spring games is when everyone is convinced their QB is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
So apparently VT is #1 in INT, sacks, and #3 in TFL over the past decade.

This reaffirms my notion that Bud Foster is no mere mortal and has almost single-handedly kept VT's program afloat and Frank Beamer gainfully employed. The man deserves better of the staff around him.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Sash! posted:

My favorite part of the spring games is when everyone is convinced their QB is awesome

Our spring game will feature Cardale Jones, soooo...

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Gus Malzahn has a Galaga arcade machine in his home and it kinda owns.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/02/auburns_guardian_of_the_galaxy.html?hootPostID=d235ba974addfe8019651816ba900c49

These are the things that I am reduced to now that NSD is over and all we have to look forward to is spring ball and A Day.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Sash! posted:

Unless he has a bad game, in which case it's because your defense is going to be incredible this year.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

VDay posted:

Unless he has a bad game, in which case it's because your defense is going to be incredible this year.
I remember reading some quote a few years ago that captured spring games really well. It was something along the lines of "you get really excited when your QB makes a big play. But then you remember that's your defense."

EDIT:

Morby posted:

Gus Malzahn has a Galaga arcade machine in his home and it kinda owns.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/02/auburns_guardian_of_the_galaxy.html?hootPostID=d235ba974addfe8019651816ba900c49

These are the things that I am reduced to now that NSD is over and all we have to look forward to is spring ball and A Day.
You can't post this and not post the great picture.

Gus has a wall in his home with some weird picture of Auburn fans on it with "Hurry Up No Huddle" written on it.

Really.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 12, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

kittenmittons posted:

Our spring game will feature Cardale Jones, soooo...
Best backup quarterback in college football.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

You can't post this and not post the great picture.

Gus has a wall in his home with some weird picture of Auburn fans on it with "Hurry Up No Huddle" written on it.

Really.

The outlet and cable pass-through suggest that wall was meant to hang a tv. I guess Gus loves Galaga more.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol our new DC is dumb

I wonder it there is a prize counter where I can redeem my juice points.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Ehud posted:

lol our new DC is dumb

Add in some #sandwichpoints and #grahamcrackerpoints and you're ready for 3rd grade lunch!

What UF really needs this offseason is to borrow a motivational technique from the best:

#RISEANDGRIND

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Sash! posted:

But he's been watching tons of tape and the game is slowing down for him and he's been working with George Whitfield and all the NFL Scouts at the Manning Passing Academy were all over him. Yeah, I think this will really be the year Devin Gardner finally puts it together!

95% of defensive ends are unblockable during spring practice.

Spacemonkey57 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 12, 2015

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Welp shut it down, Mel Kiper likes the Vols

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Bolt/Kiper-Vols-could-have-one-heck-of-a-year-35591956

quote:

ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. spoke highly of Tennessee during an interview Wednesday on the SEC Network, saying the Vols could "have one heck of a year" in 2015.

Asked by guest host Dari Nowkhah on "The Paul Finebaum Show" whether he expected Tennessee or Arkansas to make a more significant improvement from last season, Kiper said he believes the Vols will finish higher than the Razorbacks in the SEC standings.

"I look at Tennessee and I'm excited about that football team. ... I just really favor Tennessee a little bit," Kiper said. "When you have (Joshua) Dobbs at quarterback, you know you've got a guy who can get it done at a high level. They had 25 freshmen that got on the field (last season) — 25-plus, I should say, freshmen that got on the field. The guys that are coming back, you've got star power with some of those kids. You've got the receivers. You've got the backs — I mean, (Jalen) Hurd. You've got so much talent — the (incoming) recruiting class.

"I know they're going to be young, but I like young teams. I don't buy into, 'This team's built for next year,' because you know what happens you get all those draft-eligible players? They're all trying to get their resume. They become worried about who their agent's going to be, where they're going to go in the draft — 'Let's see what Kiper and (Todd) McShay have.'

"I like guys who don't have to worry about the NFL draft — they're not draft-eligible. I like those kind of young teams, especially when you've got a guy at quarterback who can get the job done at a high level. I would think Tennessee's got a great opportunity to have one heck of a year."

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Sash! posted:

Last year in the spring game in Fayetteville, Brandon Allen threw an INT with his first pass. We all knew it was going to be a long year after that.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ehud posted:

lol our new DC is dumb

Maybe this year UF will earn enough Juice Points to get a spider ring...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DJExile posted:

This is part of what had me stop watching the NFL. It's not the biggest thing, but when you go Touchdown - Commercial - Extra Point - Commercial - Kickoff - Commercial, I just can't give a poo poo.

They don't have that first commercial, and even that last one they can waive if it's near the end of the half.

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008

Sash! posted:

I was convinced Maty Mauk was horrible.

I was right.

:smith:

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

computer parts posted:

They don't have that first commercial, and even that last one they can waive if it's near the end of the half.

It doesn't matter, touchdown, XP, commercial, kickoff, commercial is bad enough. Watching an NFL game is agony. Some of this could be because I typically watch the lions when I do watch the NFL.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

I don't think I have ever come out of a spring game thinking this.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I really haven't come up with the perfect Spring Game formula. Like, you don't want your offense to clown your defense, but you also don't want your defense to totally shut down your offense. Or maybe you do want a shut-down D. I don't think I have come from a spring game and been totally jazzed. I think you can kind of see nice things that individual players are doing, guys getting healthy and all that.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Eh, Tennessee will probably be a lot better next season. Missouri has to be the favorites to win the East, because Georgia can't stop handing them the division, Florida's gonna take some time, and South Carolina looks to be trending down, but Tennessee has all the right things going on. I'm also curious (as an outsider) how Arkansas will do. They looked unstoppable in a few games this season, and the bowl game was the kind of win that leaves a pretty strong impression.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

I don't think I have ever come out of a spring game thinking this.

That's because you're too busy trying to figure out how Iowa managed to lose three running backs over the course of your spring game, especially confused because one of them never even set foot on the field

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

I really haven't come up with the perfect Spring Game formula. Like, you don't want your offense to clown your defense, but you also don't want your defense to totally shut down your offense. Or maybe you do want a shut-down D. I don't think I have come from a spring game and been totally jazzed. I think you can kind of see nice things that individual players are doing, guys getting healthy and all that.

It really depends on what's changing from the previous year, who's returning and where. BG knew we were getting a video game offense installed when Dino Babers came, so nobody paid too much attention to the defense in the most recent spring game. Meanwhile, if you're bringing back a really strong defense or got a new coordinator, you might watch to see what new systems are in use.

E: at the end of the day they're glorified scrimmages so it can be a little hard to tell if one side is clowning another or if they're told to not go full bore.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

I don't think I've ever paid any attention to a spring game at all. It's just an extended practice session with the coaches trying out plays and situations with specific players. I'm sure the results mean a lot to the coaches, but it's meaningless to a spectator.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I go to our spring game just to watch Coach Saban have a meltdown in his ugly rear end powder blue suit.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

KKKLIP ART posted:

This is pretty much how I feel about spring games. It's cool seeing what individuals do, but you can't really draw any conclusions from them. I went to the Mizzou spring game the year before Blaine Gabbert started and it was crazy seeing him in person the first time. Like he was insanely fast and throwing darts, but you never really saw his running speed in real games. (I'm also one of maybe three fans that still thinks he was a good to great college quarterback with bad pocket presence)

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

To me the real value of a spring game is in the 2nd half where you get to see more of the depth of your roster and how they handle their playing time.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
Unfortunately, Kentucky canceled the spring game this year due to the renovations at Commonwealth Stadium.

I've been for the last 10 years or so and for me it's just an opportunity to see the redshirts and early enrollees get some snaps. Outside of a select few teams, it's nearly impossible to put together a competitive spring game because you have 22 penciled-in starters and a bunch of backups trying to make two full squads.

In Mark Stoops' first season, there were only four scholarship WRs on the team and a couple of those guys would take snaps for the blue team, run to the sideline and pull a white jersey on and take snaps for the white team.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Eh, Tennessee will probably be a lot better next season. Missouri has to be the favorites to win the East, because Georgia can't stop handing them the division, Florida's gonna take some time, and South Carolina looks to be trending down, but Tennessee has all the right things going on. I'm also curious (as an outsider) how Arkansas will do. They looked unstoppable in a few games this season, and the bowl game was the kind of win that leaves a pretty strong impression.

Yeah, I know they will be but now we're grabbing more national attention and it's just making me get my hopes up. I saw an article the other day about how UT could be an "Out of nowhere" team that reaches the playoffs. To be fair the other four were like North Carolina, VT, Texas and Arizona State.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Instead of hiring Kevin Patrick, who would loving love to coach D-line at Miami, Al Golden hired Randy Melvin, a dude that has been a journeymen for his entire career, and was fired after 1 year with the Bucs.

Oh, he also coached under Al at Temple.

gently caress you Al Golden. gently caress you.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I used to go to spring games. It was usually one of the first decent weather weekends of the spring and I'd see friends I hadn't seen in a while. But the novelty wore off and I started to feel too old to hang around campus and the bar scene but too young for the alumni stuff.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Sash! posted:

I used to go to spring games. It was usually one of the first decent weather weekends of the spring and I'd see friends I hadn't seen in a while. But the novelty wore off and I started to feel too old to hang around campus and the bar scene but too young for the alumni stuff.

Sometimes I forget you're not actually an old and angry half-midget.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Sash! posted:

This is going to be Stave's year!

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Rectal Placenta posted:

This is going to be Stave's year!

Stave won 11 games!

just kidding he's terrible.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Josh Dobbs gonna win the Heisman AND an NAS Award! (it's the right year, I checked)

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
:stonk:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I hope Josh Dobbs has a long and happy career in science where he will never make the papers and creep me out in a new way every photograph

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
The boy has an alien head or college football's most unfortunate hairline. Both maybe?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
His mom has the same no-eyebrow thing, whatever that is

e: :lol: https://twitter.com/Dobbs_Eyebrows

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 12, 2015

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Really.

I picture him having a tumbler of bourbon on the counter and the kids avoiding him as he gets angrier and angrier at the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I've only been to a Spring game once because Kyle Field is perpetually under construction. :(

(and my first year kind of sucked for football)

• Locked thread