Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Nah, gently caress Vargas. We'll splurge on the international draft instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

TheMcD posted:

Nah, gently caress Vargas. We'll splurge on the international draft instead.

I agree with this statement.

Also, :swoon: Pantsu!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I don't know if I can export a team in OOTP... I would love to send my Euro Baseball Champion London Mets over to battle the C's and see how that turns out in an exhibition match-up.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

habeasdorkus posted:

Oh come on, we should at least lowball Vargas, he's got the potential to become a 3-4 WAR catcher.

:agreed:, let's lowball Vargas.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

: Alright, it looks like we'll be letting Vargas go in the amateur draft, but that's okay. It frees up money for the next draft - the international amateur free agent signing! It's not technically a draft, I just call it that for simplicity's sake.

The International Amateur Free Agent signing period is an organized event where teams can all bid on the top international free agents entering the league. Since our league is a bit weird, what defines "international" is kind of fuzzy, but for the most part its Latin American and Caribbean players, with some US and East Asian guys mixed in.

What makes this different than the amateur draft is that there is no set draft order - instead, teams all bid on the free agents, who then select their favorite bid (typically the highest) until all of the players are signed. Anyone who does not sign with a team is entered into the free agent market just like any other player. This means that the international amateur signings heavily favor wealthier teams, but even poorer teams will target a few high profile guys if they want to really pursue a rebuild of their team. Expect Kabul to go big again, as they did with their first pick.

But there are some rules that prevent Damascus from signing every player:

: These rules are confusing, and are very restrictive. Essentially, if we spend over 350k on players, we start to incur penalties both in terms of extra taxes (we pay double in tax to the league for redistribution) and restrictions in who we can draft next year. Going a bit over the cap isn't too bad, but if we go over 10% we are stuck with only the chaff next year.

We basically just need to decide whether to go really big or try to stay under the cap. If we go over the cap we might as well grab everyone of value this time around then sit on our hands next year - the "every two years" strategy. Go big one year, sign no one, go big the next, ad naseum. It's a valid strategy but some draft classes are better than others, and it's an expensive prospect either way.

Just remember that other teams may try to do the same thing, and prices can skyrocket very, very quickly. We have tons of extra room though, so our budget is very generous this time around:

: Technically our budget is 573k, but we have tons of extra cash from other sources. We under-spent our amateur budget by some 500k, made 1.2 million in raw profit from last year, and we have extra revenue from increased ticket sales and general budget room. I'm honestly not 100% sure how much we have total (the game is kind of obscure on this, sometimes) but let's say we have about a million to spread out maximum before we really hurt our ability to sign our current guys to extensions. Any savings are not lost - we keep any extra money for future use, so don't feel obliged to use it.

So the first thing you'll need to think about is whether you want to stay under the 350k cap or go big, and if so, who to sign. So let's look at the candidates:

International Amateur Free Agent Class

OSA ratings (the lovely default scout)

I included OSA's ratings so you can see what the AI is likely to see if they have bad scouts. They'll bid more on the top ones on this list

One thing to look for is value. Some players are extra greedy or demanding and might be asking well more than they're worth, while others are willing to take whatever. There may also be a discrepancy in how our scout views their value versus other clubs. If one player has a low demand relative to others of his potential, he may be a cheap hidden gem.

Let's look at the top ones in depth:

Terry van Enk, CF

Injury: Normal

Overall: This is the top guy in the draft, and I think it's warranted. He's a great defensive center fielder (remember that he's still inexperienced so that's why ratings are low) with plus power and decent hitting stats and speed. My big reservation is his eye - he's not going to draw many walks and may suffer as a hitter overall. This is the difference between being an elite hitter with .310 and 30+ HR's and an above average slugger with a .270 average and 20+ HR's. Draft if you don't mind the competing prices (he will get bids) and want a great player at a scarce position, with some risk of being a coin toss between a ground out and a home run.

Bob Washington, SP

Overall: A starter prospect with 3 or more pitches! Washington is a solid prospect, and is definitely the top pitcher in this draft pool (which is otherwise inundated with them). If his control develops he projects to be a 2nd or 3rd starter, with his only weakness being the mediocrity of his pitch repertoire. Still, having four already is good (in case one doesn't develop well) with two great ones and plenty of stamina to keep it up throughout the season. He's asking for a lot of money, but he's probably the safest pitching prospect bet we've seen in a long time.

Also named Washington and from America :911:, and has mastered the :bunt:

Raymond Gill, 3B

Injury: Durable

Overall: This guy is weird. He has a very strong arm but is mediocre defensively elsewhere, suggesting an very good third baseman or outfielder if he can not throw the ball away for errors. Pretty balanced offensively though a bit of a poor eye, could be a solid hitter with some pretty good power numbers to boot. If you don't mind a bit of a slow third baseman type, his demand is pretty reasonable at 110k with very good upside but some risk.

Also, his name is Gill and he likes to fish. :coolfish:

Tom Tyack, SP

Overall: Tyack is the poor man's Washington, but with even more potential for control but even shittier pitch selection. Still, he at least has three pitches (plus a bad slider) so he will be a servicable starter barring disaster. If you can get over his shittier pitch selection (and thus lower "stuff" rating) he's probably a better value than Washington, as he could be an elite control pitcher that locks down the back end of a rotation.

Luis Acevedo, SP

Overall: Acevedo is way more expensive than the last two SP's despite being much worse overall, but is more balanced. I like that he has good pitch selection but his control needs to develop to be on par with the others, and he's probably less value for his asking price. Draft him if you just want to draft tons and tons of pitchers and don't really care about price or risk.

Allen Guzman, SP

Overall: This guy is Acevedo with more control but slightly worse pitches. Probably better value at 200k. Draft him before Acevedo, but only if you really want to get another pitcher becaus ehe's probably worse than Tyack or Washington.

Mel Elsmore, SP

Overall: This guy is on here because of his low asking price, but he is a bit gimmicky. He's listed as an SP but he has pretty bad secondary pitches so I see him more as a reliever, maybe long reliever if he can figure out his fastball. His price is very low at 70k, so if you're looking to go big or add some relief depth, there's worse ways to go. Maybe we'll even get lucky and he'll get a decent fastball, becoming a decent 5th starter/emergency starter. High upside, but very high risk.

Victor Luyando, SP

Overall: I'm getting tired of pitchers too, but Luyando is interesting because he is a decent "why not" kind of candidate. he has four okay pitches and is exceedingly average across the board, but only wants 85k as his starting price. If you are going big I think he's a good add on, as he is extremely versatile and could serve in basically any starter/reliever capacity depending on how he develops. Probably not worth it if you're trying to stay under budget.

Eduardo Sanchez, SP

Overall: Eduardo fits the closer archetype, as he has mediocre control but has two really good pitches. He'd need to get over the fact that he doesn't throw very hard, but a dominant curve and cutter can be effective in lieu of a fastball. Sign him if you're going big and want to see a potential closer added in.

Julian Ledesma, SP

Overall: This guy is only on here because he is asking for 7.5k and would probably instantly accept an offer of 15-20k. He's the ultimate innings eater, with 95 stamina and potentially elite control, but he is otherwise pretty awful with a horrible pitch selection. If we are anywhere below budget I'm going to throw him an offer just to see if he can do anything, because at that price he's practically free.

Also, he has some hitting ability and could probably bat .230 if he were a hitter.

:siren: Goon Decision Time! :siren:

Remember we need to stay under 350k to avoid penalties next year, but can go upwards of a million safely. I'll prioritize more vote-receivers first, and may stop before a million if I'm wrong about our budget max.

Also remember that the offers WILL increase, so these are just their starting asking prices.

1. Do we stay under the limit (350k) or go big?
Go Big/Stay Under

2. Who do we send offers to? (bold your choices)
Terry van Enk, CF - 280k
Bob Washington, SP - 270k
Raymond Gill, 3B - 110k
Tom Tyack, SP - 130k
Luis Acevedo, SP - 250k
Allan Guzman, SP - 200k
Mal Elsmore, SP - 70k
Victor Luyando, SP - 85k
Eduardo Sanchez, SP - 75k
Julian Ledesma, SP - 7.5k

You can always offer to guys I don't highlight, I just don't consider them to be worth it.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 14, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
oooooh yeah good to see I'm swinging for the fences.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Let's go all in on Mr. Washington

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
Who do we send offers to? (bold your choices)
Terry van Enk, CF - 280k

Raymond Gill, 3B - 110k

I'm on the fence about the budget. On the one hand, I like van Enk and I suspect we'll have to go over budget just to get him. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of being tied up next year. And for some reason I really like the idea of :coolfish: so I guess I vote for stay (mostly) within budget but get those two.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Go Big - The AI is extremely aggressive when going after international free agents. Let's not miss out on one of the three below.

Terry van Enk, CF - 280k
Raymond Gill, 3B - 110k

Also, Eduardo Sanchez, SP - 75k seems to be worth the effort to bolster the bullpen down the road. Ledesma would have good value, but I don't think we should take a chance due to his personality.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 14, 2015

Auk14HP
Dec 12, 2005

Screw this crap I've had it, I ain't no Mr. Cool
Go Big/Stay Under

Raymond Gill, 3B - 110k

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Go Big - Make sure we Get van Enk.

Terry van Enk, CF - 280k
Plus whatever other pitchers we can afford after we get him.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Go Big

Terry van Enk, CF - 280k
TvE is an elite prospect. He should be our first priority. If he's the only player we get because we're going so hard for him, so be it.

Tom Tyack, SP - 130k
Allan Guzman, SP - 200k
Mal Elsmore, SP - 70k
Victor Luyando, SP - 85k

We should get as many of these guys as possible, as we'd otherwise be putting all our eggs in one basket with someone like Washington. Our scout isn't perfect, and getting five of the above guys would go a long way towards bolstering our minor league pitching. We might not be able to land Guzman given budget constraints, but he's the best of the bunch so he should be a priority over Tyack.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Interesting how so many owners never want to spend money on anything. Makes me wonder what they're planning to do with that money (I suspect lavish bonuses for themselves)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Ice To Meet You posted:

Interesting how so many owners never want to spend money on anything. Makes me wonder what they're planning to do with that money (I suspect lavish bonuses for themselves)

Just look at habeasdorkus's Wrexham FM LP where we goons RP owners. When we are in control, we are the most corrupt assholes imaginable.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Go big while trying to go for all the players. Internationality is our strength!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

Just look at habeasdorkus's Wrexham FM LP where we goons RP owners. When we are in control, we are the most corrupt assholes imaginable.

You guys haven't been nearly as bad for the club as you could have been, though. The fiscal discipline has actually been pretty impressive- I was expecting you to either limit our spending by so much that we had trouble being competitive, or spend so much that we were forced into bankruptcy.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
stay under.

Van Enk and Ledesma only.
I'd rather have money for free agency and extensions in the offseason.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

habeasdorkus posted:

You guys haven't been nearly as bad for the club as you could have been, though. The fiscal discipline has actually been pretty impressive- I was expecting you to either limit our spending by so much that we had trouble being competitive, or spend so much that we were forced into bankruptcy.

I'm actually impressed with the posters so far. There's been no outright stupid or sabotaging decisions, and honestly I can't think of too many overall bad decisions that have been made. Maybe a few miscalculations or missed opportunities, but being slightly miserly is the only criticism I can think of.

As for me, on the other hand... :negative:

EDIT:

Current tallies:

Out of eight votes

Terry van Enk, CF - 280k 5
Bob Washington, SP - 270k 3
Raymond Gill, 3B - 110k 3
Tom Tyack, SP - 130k 3
Luis Acevedo, SP - 250k 2
Allan Guzman, SP - 200k 3
Mal Elsmore, SP - 70k 3
Victor Luyando, SP - 85k 3
Eduardo Sanchez, SP - 75k 4
Julian Ledesma, SP - 7.5k 4

Out of seven votes (one of you only chose players):

Over 4
Under 3

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 15, 2015

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

1) Go Big or go home, baby!

2) Luis Acevedo, SP - 250k and Allan Guzman, SP - 200k make me think of Luis Guzman, so let's pick them.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I'm gonna say stay under because all I want is Terry van Enk, CF - 280k

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Go Big/Stay Under

Terry van Enk, CF - 280k
Raymond Gill, 3B - 110k :coolfish:
Tom Tyack, SP - 130k
Luis Acevedo, SP - 250k
Allan Guzman, SP - 200k
Mal Elsmore, SP - 70k
Victor Luyando, SP - 85k

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Final Tally:

Terry van Enk, CF - 280k 7
Bob Washington, SP - 270k 4
Raymond Gill, 3B - 110k 4
Allan Guzman, SP - 200k 4
Eduardo Sanchez, SP - 75k 4
Julian Ledesma, SP - 7.5k 4
Mal Elsmore, SP - 70k 3
Victor Luyando, SP - 85k 3
Tom Tyack, SP - 130k 3
Luis Acevedo, SP - 250k 3

Over 6
Under 5

So it is decided, we will be going big! You guys were pretty dispersed in your voting, so what I'm going to do is go hard for van Enk, then pursue the 4 vote tier guys in order of my preference, then 3 vote guys if we have room. We'll ride this until our budget breaks under the strain of our spending. I can't guarantee any one in particular - some may choose to sign with other teams quickly, or they may see their price skyrocket, in which case I'll go for someone else of their tier. Flexibility is key!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

: Well, we are breaking the bank on this international amateur draft, and I sure hope we don't regret it. Ah well, full speed ahead, drat the torpedoes!

Schedule

Standings

Batting Stats

Pitching Stats

Lineups

Rotation and Bullpen

: To start the month off, I sent offers to Terry Van Enck, Bob Washington, Ledesma, and Gill. I'm going to add more with time if any of their prices go down or if any of these guys let me down, but let's see what they say to our initial offers first, and how other teams react. Sometimes you can sneak by without any competition, though I have a bad feeling Enck is going to elicit a LOT of interest. I try to wow them with initial offers to see if I can get them to take our offer right away, but it doesn't always work. We offer about 800k to begin with, but we need to play the season while we wait for their responses!

: The system works! Right away (two days in), Enck and Ledesma accept our initial offers. I'm not shocked by Ledesma, but I think we really pulled off a coup with van Enck. While it's not fun to start by offering a guy a full 60k above his asking price, I'm very confident that the top rated hitter (by both our scout AND the OOTP scout) would have been the subject of a bidding war of at least 60k, possibly more. And once a bidding war begins it's very hard to stop it. Better to nip it in the bud.

: At the same time, the bidding begins on Gill and Washington. Washington's numbers are skyrocketing quickly, so I switch gears and throw Acevedo an offer, since his asking price has dropped to 170k. I give Gill another try in the hopes that we can secure him.

: Other teams are acting quickly as well.

: Welp. I gave Gill another big offer and he still signed with Islamabad, and for less money too! :coolfish: was apparently too cool for us.

With the initial rush dying down, many players' offers have begun to plummet, especially those closer to the bottom. I start to scoop up the lower rung guys.

: While I'm distracted with throwing our money away, poor Consty gets hurt for a few weeks. He's actually been pretty effective as a reliever despite his very low ratings, so he will be missed. Carlos Reyes is called up as temporary replacement.

: The last batch of guys remain, as I try and grab at least two or three of them. The drat Islamabad Beef may be trolling us, as they keep slightly outbidding us on every single player.

: Luyando gets salty, as many of the remaining players get angry at us for bidding on them.

: We manage to nab Ellsmore and Luyando, but the rest are being elusive.

: :negative:, just a few days before the All-Star game, we once again lose Prince Kelly to injuries. This is becoming far too frequent, but perhaps more frustrating is how well he plays when he is healthy! He may yet prove to be worth the value, but it's going to be a pain in the rear end if we have no idea which months he will stay healthy through in the future.

I am forced to bring up Fritz de Braber to replace the roster spot. Braber has no business hitting in the majors but is a solid corner outfielder defensively. For now, the defensively elite Jilal will take up right field. I move Tresher to Prince's number two spot - it's not ideal, but it will work for now.

We get a few days off thankfully, and we suspend our six game winning streak to go to the...

: The halfway point in the season is reached, and today is the All-Star game!

: Tresher and Stevenson are the only guys who make the starting lineup, but we have Tor, Price, Macgregor, Clink, and Cash Money on the bench. They'll all get a chance at some point, so we'll sim through and note any particularly interesting accomplishments.

Right away, Bryan Edkins, who was chosen over Tor and Price to start, gives up a three run bomb to Said Konoro. Down three, little else happens - Tor pitches a perfect inning, while Tresher is silent and Cam logs a walk and a hit. Clink's one at bat is uneventful.

: Price gets to come in for the seventh, and pitches perfectly and uneventfully. This is becoming a bit of a boring All-Star game, especially for the Constantinoples, who are watching the Sunni League lose for no fault of their own.

: Cash Money puts some life into our offense with a single! Is a comeback imminent?

Nope. Baruuti grounds into a double play, and we enter the ninth down 1 :negative:.

: And so the All-Star game ends, with bizarrely effective displays of relief and poor starting pitching. Both the starters, chosen as the top of the class at the time of voting, are the only ones to give up runs.

Our pitchers were all pristine over 2 and two thirds innings, while our hitters did alright, with an on base percentage of .333. Not bad guys, but know this - if we make it to the championship series, we will do so without home field advantage. Whatever that's worth.

: We finally sign Guzman, but here's where I have to stop my bidding. I wanted to grab Acevedo but his demands have become far too great - he's asking for a whopping 300k now, and I'm increasingly concerned that we are bidding against ourselves. I still have a pending offer of 280k with him, but stopping there, as he's already topped the far superior Washington's signing bonus.

: And so Acevedo signs and ends the Intl free agent scramble. It's kind of nice that Baghdad, division rival, got stuck with his inflated signing bonus :smug:

: We ended up spending about 664k, though with taxes it's a bit higher. I could have signed Acevedo but I'm not convinced he's worth 300k, and our budget was looking strained already. Next year will be a very quiet year for us in the international draft.

: On the bright side, our single A team is now absolutely stacked with talent! Most of it is pretty young, but the older guys will start trickling up to AA and hopefully to the majors. Most of the foreign players are only 17-18 years old, so they're a bit slow to develop, but they'll get there.

: Alby makes sure we don't lose track of what's really important - winning games now, not 5 years down the line. He's thrown another shutout, giving up only 3 hits, an impressive performance to go along with his best season yet.

But with every piece of good news...

: Shadowing finds himself hurt with an abdominal strain, putting him out for two weeks. Townshend rejoins the rotation in the meantime, as Consty also rejoins us.

: Kelly comes back the next day as well, swapping back with Barber and going back to number 2 in the lineup. Our lineup will be significantly stronger now, if Kelly can stop getting hurt constantly.

: Over on the Garfields, punishment is thrown at Mitku Yoofi, who misses the team flight and screws up their travel plans. Seeing as the team is named after an extremely lazy cat, his oversleeping defense was accepted by the fan base.

Absolutely none of our players warrants awards by the league this week, being shut out again despite some pretty impressive performances. Once thing does warrant our attention:

: The trade deadline is here! (I moved it to August 1st for updating purposes) We'll talk about it later, but this is our last chance to see if we can wrangle any trades. Last year we managed the Jafar for Williams trade, maybe something else will come our way.

Bolivar Mallen would be the most inconsistent player on the team were it not for Prince Kelly. This month though he was on fire, outperforming all other pitchers, pitching the most innings with the best ERA and an impressive ERA+ of 228! He continues to defy age and expectations, and for now will remain in our lineup if only because he's averaging out a very good 3.18 ERA.

The peripheral stats (FIP especially) indicate that he's probably not this good, but who cares as long as he's getting results and helping us win games.

Honorable Mentions

Rob MacGregor leads the league in saves with 37, nine above the competition. Now, I know that's in part because we win so drat much, but his 1.07 ERA and nearly 13 K/9 is something special. He pitched 14 scoreless innings this month, surrendering only 7 hits and one walk, with 24 strikeouts. He recorded more strikeouts than 3/5 of our rotation.

Friar John has an ERA of .25, reflective of his dominance and the fact he still has only surrendered one run all season. He didn't get too many opportunities this month, with only 6.2 innings pitched, but he continues to shine with an almost holy glow...

Cam and Clink were the only ones who did much offensively this month, with 134 and 133 OPS+ respectively. They weren't even all that dominant - in fact, it was replacement player Jilal who did the most work with 165 OPS+. We still found a way to win though, and we should be glad guys like Cam and Clink are there for these slow periods to carry us to a great record regardless of the rest of the offense's shortcomings.

John "Whiteboy" Black has had worse months admittedly, but this comes on the heels of a pretty bad season overall. Hitting from first base against righties he hasn't been that awful, with a 127 OPS+, but against lefties he has been basically worthless with a zero OPS+! We've done a good job limiting his LHP with Mo Jihad, but it's increasingly becoming apparent that Jihad is the better overall first baseman now. Versus righties Jihad is batting a 150 OPS+ and he isn't worthless against lefties, so we may also want to consider putting Black on the bench to limit his playing time and avoid his next year's contract...

For now I'll put Jihad in, but feel free to rebuke me and bring Black in at any time. Sorry Black, but first base is the most purely offensively oriented position our non-DH league has, and you aren't keeping up! You'll still be our first call of the bench, though. And at 40, that's really not that bad.

Dishonorable Mentions

Reeve Tresher is struggling as of late, batting very poorly on the month and on the season. Saving him is his power and ability to draw walks - but increasingly, his defensive abilities are in decline as well. He's not a liability by any means and still enjoys a very important spot in our lineup, I'd just like to see him pick it up a bit, as I know he killed it last season and I don't want that to be a fluke.

It should be noted though, that Tresher is the only player on the team who has never had a single injury, ever, of any kind. Not even day to day minor injuries.

Jeffers is in a bit of a slump, aggravating our problems at shortstop. I'd love to move Tresher somewhere else (like RF or LF) though he'd be better at 2B, but I want to know that Jeffers will hold up SS in his absence. Right now his hitting is too much of a liability and I've had to pull him from the platoon, but he will probably recover with time.

Overall it was mediocrity on the offensive side and complete dominance in pitching. Aside from Cam and Clink, every batter had an OPS+ of 82-100 - nothing horrible, but nothing particularly great either. Our pitching was just too dominant, and it carried us to an 18-7 month. Every one of our relievers (aside from Carlos Reyes who saw one inning of work) had an ERA+ of 92 or above. :wow:

Coming soon, trade options and other housekeeping!

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 16, 2015

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH
I got some MLB All Star Game wine this weekend for :10bux: even though it was a gimmick. It too was disappointing.

Supreme Lord Jeremy
Jul 12, 2006

"We have waited centuries for this moment. The rivers will flow with the blood of those who oppose us."
I'm glad Alby's been pulling his weight. He seems to be having a pretty decent season thus far. :unsmith: Hopefully that will continue into the playoffs.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Saitorr posted:

I got some MLB All Star Game wine this weekend for :10bux: even though it was a gimmick. It too was disappointing.

The All-Star game is kind of a let down sometimes, but I will forever be able to say I saw this live and in person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiwO2BjcweU

Ichiro-san :swoon:

Supreme Lord Jeremy posted:

I'm glad Alby's been pulling his weight. He seems to be having a pretty decent season thus far. :unsmith: Hopefully that will continue into the playoffs.

Alby's been "due" in a sense, since he is actually a 60 rated starting pitcher brought down by a mediocre repetoire. He's young though, so I wouldn't be shocked if he puts in a few good seasons to even out his bad ones, and stays a 3-4th starting pitcher for another 5+ years. He just needs to keep from getting injured, as his injury proneness has been downgraded to "fragile", making me fear that he won't make it to 35 in the majors :(.

Quick Announcement

I will be tied up with real life stuff (attending a conference) beginning tomorrow through Saturday. As such I won't be able to update nor (consistently) be near a computer. Don't fear the death of the LP or anything like that if the thread goes quiet in the next week.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 16, 2015

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Recorded from Wael and the Wild Wolf, WIST Radio on July 20th, 1982.

: Hey Wael and Wolf, it's Mo from Ronkonkoma. This year is going great, the 'Noples are killin' it.

: Yeah, you think they're going to go all the way?

: That's what I was going to talk about. I don't want to get to the playoffs again and lose to the Propane again. Not with what's at stake. That's why we need to get the Terminator. Shore up our outfield.

: You're talking about Sanjrani from Beruit? That'd be a big move. And expensive.

: I know. What about a package of a package of Leuthold, Butt, and Suggitt?

: You gotta be kidding. What sort of offer is that? Why would the Pines ever accept that? Get outta here.

" Well, fine. Whatever it takes. I don't care if we empty the farm. We can't lose Hatay!

: Woah, woah, woah. What about the future?

: He's got a point, Wolf. Flags fly forever, and Hatay is at stake. Does our GM have the guts to pull off that kind of trade, though? I don't think he does. He doesn't even have the guts to come on this show!

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 17, 2015

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Hey, me again. I'm thinking of rendering a trophy for the league's champions. Would you rather prefer a silver home plate or a more traditional cup?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Cup, please!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have returned from real life obligations, and can return to fantasy baseballers.

habeasdorkus posted:

Recorded from Wael and the Wild Wolf, WIST Radio on July 20th, 1982.

: Hey Wael and Wolf, it's Mo from Ronkonkoma. This year is going great, the 'Noples are killin' it.

: Yeah, you think they're going to go all the way?

: That's what I was going to talk about. I don't want to get to the playoffs again and lose to the Propane again. Not with what's at stake. That's why we need to get the Terminator. Shore up our outfield.

: You're talking about Sanjrani from Beruit? That'd be a big move. And expensive.

: I know. What about a package of a package of Leuthold, Butt, and Suggitt?

: You gotta be kidding. What sort of offer is that? Why would the Pines ever accept that? Get outta here.

" Well, fine. Whatever it takes. I don't care if we empty the farm. We can't lose Hatay!

: Woah, woah, woah. What about the future?

: He's got a point, Wolf. Flags fly forever, and Hatay is at stake. Does our GM have the guts to pull off that kind of trade, though? I don't think he does. He doesn't even have the guts to come on this show!

This is solid advice, but the way the AI is set up, I'm not sure I can make it work. I tried your combination (no dice), and a bunch of others, but the problem is that we would need to go well above budget to do it, and the owner won't let us. This is dumb because normally I can override budget restrictions as the commissioner, but the AI won't trade with you any way :(. We could alternatively trade for the guy AND money to pay for him, but I don't know if I can construct a deal that'll make it work. I'll keep trying.

EDIT: Also, Pete would love to be on your show. Perhaps we should head to IRC. He doesn't speak Turkish, though.

Danny Glands posted:

Hey, me again. I'm thinking of rendering a trophy for the league's champions. Would you rather prefer a silver home plate or a more traditional cup?

I'm inclined to vote for a cup, because they generally look cooler. Make a home plate design for some other award (feel free to redo my lovely square photoshop awards) since it fits a more specialized award/common performance. Cups are for the true champs.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

habeasdorkus posted:

So in the spirit of your trade requests, I poked around the MaILB, and managed to figure out how to get some trades brewing. I have two teams targetted - the Baghdad Baathists and Teheran Mahdis, both of whom are officially "rebuilding" and thus likely to give us trades that won't completely screw us over. Unfortunately, Sanjrani on Beirut is entirely untradable - the AI considers him to be their best player (for good reason) and won't fathom the consequences of losing him, regardless of how many prospects we throw their way.

If we buy into the BUY NOW strategy, which is probably best given our dominant play this season (and choking in the postseason), we should be targeting players who are good now, and ideally trading away some of our prospects. It kind of sucks giving away our newbies given how much we spent on them, but remember that many will not develop into anything worthy of their price, and we are trading away risk for a surer bet.

Baghdad

Here's how Baghdad's players rank in terms of ability. We should only be targeting the top ones given our situation, and at positions we are weak at.

Not a whole lot of talent. But fortunately for us, they do have talent at C and CF - two of our weakest positions. I toy around with a trade for their catcher, but honestly, he's having a bum year offensively, and Uemura/ART are more than enough to make up for him.

More interesting is their center fielder, Sayid bin Qays. Now, Sayid is no monster offensively either, but he is an elite center fielder and outfielder in general, a place where we need more depth desperately. He's also highly rated (63/65 by our scout), indicating that he should have a pretty high ceiling. Given that Bin Ayman (current CF) is not an acceptable offensive force, replacing him with a great offensive bat with nearly as good defense would represent a huge upgrade. What kind of trade can we manager for him?

They're surprisingly willing to part with bin Qays in exchange for a few of our more promising prospects. I try all sorts of different combinations, always attempting a bit of a lowball to swing it our way, and nothing seems to work. We have no cash to help us out either, but we are in a sense paying a little under 200k (cost for these international amateurs) for this guy (we are getting 100k in the deal to keep us from going negative - a game requirement.)

Guzman and Luyando ended up being revised to 60 and 61 potential starting pitchers, according to our scout respectively, so it will deplete our minors of our two best starter prospects. It's likely that Baghdad's own scouts overrate their abilities as per the OOTP default scout.

There is one other offer...

Townshend is one alternative we can offer for bin Qays. This is a bit against our current mantra of win now, in the sense that Townshend is good now. But we do have surplus starters, if you count the currently injured shadowing (who is slated to return in one week). This is just one potential alternative if you feel more comfortable trading current surplus pitching rather than our minor league starter prospects.

Additional information: bin Qays is on his last year of arbitration/team control, so we'd get one more year of him on the cheap, then need to offer him a juicy contract to stick around after that.

This is about the only good trade I can get going with Baghdad, or that I feel isn't totally one sided.

Teheran

Teheran fails to impress me. They do have a center fielder of note but he is just awful defensively without the necessary offense to make up for it, and we don't really need any more starting pitching, nor can we be certain any new pitchers would even be better than our over performing 4-5 starters!

I did some tinkering elsewhere, but most teams that aren't in rebuilding mode won't give decent offers, and it's not worth even trying for teams that are "win now" mode, unless you want to trade currently good players for their prospects. I could sell the ENTIRE farm for another good center fielder, but I don't think it's worth it nor is it better than the offer Baghdad is willing to give us.

:siren: Goon Decision Time :siren:

So what should we do goons?

Do we accept the following trade with the Baghdad Baathists?

Guzman and Luyando

for

Sayid bin Qays. and $100k?

Vote Yes/No

Alternatively, indicate if you prefer to trade Townshend for the same offer.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 23, 2015

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

No Deal!!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Deal!! I'm short-sighted and greedy!

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
No deal. Neither trade sounds like a good decision to me.

Auk14HP
Dec 12, 2005

Screw this crap I've had it, I ain't no Mr. Cool

Rincewind posted:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Rincewind posted:

FLAGS FLY FOREVER OVER PROUD TURKISH İSKENDERUN!

(This is what Mo from Ronkonkoma does as his day job, btw):

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 23, 2015

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Deal!!

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH
Yes, do it.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Go for it

Losing Guzman hurts a bit, but I'm not sure Luyando was ever a ML starter in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

habeasdorkus posted:

FLAGS FLY FOREVER OVER PROUD TURKISH İSKENDERUN!

(This is what Mo from Ronkonkoma does as his day job, btw):

That guy rules.

• Locked thread