Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

HMS Boromir posted:

A videogame journalist essentially grabbing a developer by the collar and throttling them while yelling "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU" is a breath of fresh air, honestly. I didn't learn anything from the interview but it made for great entertainment.

It's about ethics in games interviews, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

People who run a contest and promise a boy they're going to change his life and then forget to so much as call him back definitely deserve a public shaming.

Story time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Demiurge4 posted:

Story time.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-11-the-god-who-peter-molyneux-forgot

Yeah its pretty loving bad.

TLDR:
The entire curiosity phone app was leading up to the 'reward' of becoming a special role inside of Godus.
That special role will mean you control the game rules to an extent, you receive 1% of the royalties for Godus, and more.
PM originally states that winner will be 'god of gods' for a period of 5 to 10 years. He later recants this to 6 months and acts like he never said anything of the sort.
Godus development flounders, PC version takes forever, multiplayer has yet to be implemented. As such the 'god of gods' role so far means entirely nothing.
22 Cans stops responding to the kid who won the competition's emails completely. Years go by.
Peter Molyneux claims that kid is accruing 1% in royalties still, but won't pay him because "he's not god of gods yet"
He was 18 when he won Curiosity, and his name was made temporarily internet-famous as a result.
He's now 21 and has yet to see a red cent from 22 Cans. The only reason they've even responded now is because journalists called them out on it.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 13, 2015

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Zaphod42 posted:

TLDR:
The entire curiosity phone app was leading up to the 'reward' of becoming a special role inside of Godus.
That special role will mean you control the game rules to an extent, you receive 1% of the royalties for Godus, and more.
PM originally states that winner will be 'god of gods' for a period of 5 to 10 years. He later recants this to 6 months and acts like he never said anything of the sort.
Godus development flounders, PC version takes forever, multiplayer has yet to be implemented. As such the 'god of gods' role so far means entirely nothing.
22 Cans stops responding to the kid who won the competition's emails completely. Years go by.
Peter Molyneux claims that kid is accruing 1% in royalties still, but won't pay him because "he's not god of gods yet"
He was 18 when he won Curiosity, and his name was made temporarily internet-famous as a result.
He's now 21 and has yet to see a red cent from 22 Cans. The only reason they've even responded now is because journalists called them out on it.

You forgot the part where Moly (or a rep acting on his behalf) texted the kid personally and told him this was going to change his life*.

*(offer not valid in Puerto Rico offer subject to change I am a loving liar do not take my promises while you are pregnant or nursing)

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
There is actually a Games > Molyneaux hate thread

I hate him too and Tim Shafer should get the same tomorrow, just pointing out

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Why tomorrow specifically?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

PM is such a bad role model because he's the guy every kid wants to be in high school - he got paid to do very little but come up with big ideas for decades, essentially. It's kind of extraordinary that his name had such cache for so long. He's a really dire example of a creative person with astoundingly bad project management skills being treated as a guiding figure. Look up "scope creep" in the dictionary and you'll just see his face.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

TLDR:

God drat Peter is an rear end in a top hat.

Space Base DF-9 was a shitshow but I still find Tim likeable, I hope he can redeem himself.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Demiurge4 posted:

Space Base DF-9 was a shitshow but I still find Tim likeable, I hope he can redeem himself.

I feel like Double Fine just went hog wild with the kickstarter stuff when they saw their first success and just got in wayyyyy over their heads.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Double Fine still makes extremely enjoyable games outside of DF-9. Also Brutal Legend owned and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't played Shadowrun past an early version of Dead Man's Switch, but I seem to be drawn to get Hong Kong. I really gotta replay this, then do Dragonfall...

Their last update of Hong Kong is deliciously silly. Three days left, all strench goals will be met and overall seems pretty darn neat.

If only I had the time!

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Mirificus posted:

Why tomorrow specifically?

Sooner that the sooner I stop seeing

Demiurge4 posted:

I still find Tim likeable, I hope he can redeem himself.

when he stammers and pouts just like Molyneaux

e:

Yodzilla posted:

Double Fine still makes extremely enjoyable games outside of DF-9. Also Brutal Legend owned and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Brutal Legend, if I recall correctly, as also not finished on time and that's why it had weird RTS added?

In any event even if you liked Broken Age its ridiculously incompetent that it's not a finished product, still, in '15

Not kickstarted, but Hack N Slash was Act 1: basic tutorial, Act 2: advanced tutorial, Act 3: uh you make up whatever I guess we're out

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 13, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Brutal Legend would have been better as two separate games in the same heavy metal world. I powered through most of the band parts, but I'd rather just most of the game be about riding in your bone wagon and beating the poo poo out of freaks with your axe/riffs.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Johnny Law posted:

No new information, just a public shaming. I felt kind of squicked out by the time I got to the end of that.

Since you used the worst "squicked" unironically I'm gonna assume you're about 12 and tell you that this guy deserves to get sued and if a harsh interview is the worst that comes of it he got off light

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Toxxupation posted:

Since you used the worst "squicked" unironically I'm gonna assume you're about 12 and tell you that this guy deserves to get sued and if a harsh interview is the worst that comes of it he got off light

He deserves to get sued, sure. No one deserves to have a personal attack disguised as an interview sprung on them by some weirdo games journalist with a vendetta.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Squick is used pretty often by the BDSM community who I assure you is not all 12.

Sorry you don't like a word :cheeky:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

No Gravitas posted:

I haven't played Shadowrun past an early version of Dead Man's Switch, but I seem to be drawn to get Hong Kong. I really gotta replay this, then do Dragonfall...

Their last update of Hong Kong is deliciously silly. Three days left, all strench goals will be met and overall seems pretty darn neat.

If only I had the time!

Dragonfall makes Dead Mans Switch feel like an engine test/proof of concept. If Hong Kong I'd a much of an improvement it'll be something amazing.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fintilgin posted:

Dragonfall makes Dead Mans Switch feel like an engine test/proof of concept. If Hong Kong I'd a much of an improvement it'll be something amazing.

I loved Dead Man's Switch. And this was when they had a bug which mishandled splash damage from shotguns. Namely it would hit everyone on the map. It was very visually interesting as thousands of bullets would fly off in a perfect circle.. but my main character did not care about the headshot, died and I had to reload. Back in the day without "save anywhere".

Oh boy. I think I'm in for a treat.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I liked DMS too but Dragonfall just completely overshadows it in every way. Hong Kong is going to be amazing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

JordanKai posted:

He deserves to get sued, sure. No one deserves to have a personal attack disguised as an interview sprung on them by some weirdo games journalist with a vendetta.

If you actually care about a rich scam artist's self esteem from a journalist saying deservedly mean things to his face and aren't just playing internet devil's advocate there is a serious, serious issue that needs to be addressed

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Squick is used pretty often by the BDSM community who I assure you is not all 12.

Sorry you don't like a word :cheeky:

It's mostly used by the tumblr and tv tropes crowd.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Is the Director's Cut of Dragonfall worth playing? I already beat the original twice...

Also I kinda wish they'd retool Dead Man's Switch to have mechanics like Dragonfall's. And maybe fix some more of those typos.

I have no idea what the gently caress they're going to do with 10x their stated goal. They can't possibly just put it all into the game, can they? At some point it'd just get bloated...

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

No Gravitas posted:

If only I had the time!

Lurdiak posted:

Is the Director's Cut of Dragonfall worth playing? I already beat the original twice...

Also I kinda wish they'd retool Dead Man's Switch to have mechanics like Dragonfall's. And maybe fix some more of those typos.

I have no idea what the gently caress they're going to do with 10x their stated goal. They can't possibly just put it all into the game, can they? At some point it'd just get bloated...

Dragonfall is really, really good, especially with the Director's Cut that added a bunch of extra side missions for your main sidekicks, sidekick advancement, and revamped UI/combat. Enjoy!

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

They are making a second (mini)game, to be like a small expansion for Hong Kong... 4-5 hours.

EDIT: The minigame is kinda meant for high-level characters that beat Hong Kong. I love high-level games.

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 14, 2015

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
From the latest Reading Rainbow update:

quote:

OUYA: We understand the disappointment in not being able to receive the Sky Blue console as described during the Kickstarter campaign. We are working directly with the OUYA team to arrive at a positive solution for our backers (like a different/upgraded console + a bonus controller). We will have final information and specs shortly.

Never change OUYA. :allears:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Lurdiak posted:

Hopefully they'll just pocket the extra cash to use it for another project in the future, and ignore the shrill cretins that will whine about them doing it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

RottenK posted:

Hopefully they'll just pocket the extra cash to use it for another project in the future, and ignore the shrill cretins that will whine about them doing it.

I expect, as they're self funding the rest of the game, it would be more shifting kickstarter money into the game and self funding less. It's not like backers are going to get a financial breakdown or anything.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Zaphod42 posted:

People who run a contest and promise a boy they're going to change his life and then forget to so much as call him back definitely deserve a public shaming.

I think it's incredibly nasty that his excuse for not giving him any money was the fine print that 1) the multiplayer needed to be in the game functioning properly (which I'm sure has a huge feature list to check off, otherwise the multiplayer isn't working as :airquote:fully intended:airquote: so it doesn't technically exist) and 2) he has to become 'god of gods' (whatever that might mean, like is there some sort of contractual obligation he might not fulfill? "To truly be god of gods you must enact 1,000 edicts, lightning zap 10,000 citizens, etc. etc. otherwise you failed to be god of gods").

It's such a shifty dirty trick to pull, to me at least.

:dance: : yay! I'm going to get a percentage of the profits!

:agesilaus: : not so fast there young man, the multiplayer element has to be in the game first so you can become god of gods!

:confused: when will that be finished then?

:agesilaus: : never.

I assume the real reason he's not handing out any money is because 22cans is this close to filing for bankruptcy.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 14, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Brutal Legend, if I recall correctly, as also not finished on time and that's why it had weird RTS added?

In any event even if you liked Broken Age its ridiculously incompetent that it's not a finished product, still, in '15

Not kickstarted, but Hack N Slash was Act 1: basic tutorial, Act 2: advanced tutorial, Act 3: uh you make up whatever I guess we're out

AFAIK Brutal Legend was always an RTS, it's just the marketing tried to hide it as much as possible.

Regardless if whether you liked Brutal Legend's gameplay, it does go into the reason why I think any attempt to compare DF with Molyneux doesn't work; except for Spacebase, they do make games that are what they're supposed to be (Broken Age is an Adventure Game, Psychonauts is a platformer etc. None of them were expected to change technology forever.)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mycot posted:

AFAIK Brutal Legend was always an RTS, it's just the marketing tried to hide it as much as possible.

Regardless if whether you liked Brutal Legend's gameplay, it does go into the reason why I think any attempt to compare DF with Molyneux doesn't work; except for Spacebase, they do make games that are what they're supposed to be (Broken Age is an Adventure Game, Psychonauts is a platformer etc. None of them were expected to change technology forever.)

Yeah they're pretty different. Schaefer didn't over-promise on any of his games really, certainly not for the length of his career like Molyneux. They never said Brutal Legend was going to let you take over the world with rock or something stupid like that. It was a dumb action game that had a not so great RTS section, whatever.

The reason some goons are :argh: over Schaefer has almost nothing to do with his games, though, is the thing. And that makes him very fundamentally different from Molyneux. They're just upset about some things he said on twitter or some forum.

Broken Age is a pretty good story game. Which is the one that's screwed up? Massive Chalice? Starbase? Was he even heading those games? :shrug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dreylad posted:

Dragonfall is really, really good, especially with the Director's Cut that added a bunch of extra side missions for your main sidekicks, sidekick advancement, and revamped UI/combat. Enjoy!

No that's what I mean, I beat Dragonfall twice already, pondering whether to give it a third go just for the DC stuff.

RottenK posted:

But I want more of the same. :( *eats Mcnuggets*

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah they're pretty different. Schaefer didn't over-promise on any of his games really, certainly not for the length of his career like Molyneux. They never said Brutal Legend was going to let you take over the world with rock or something stupid like that. It was a dumb action game that had a not so great RTS section, whatever.

The reason some goons are :argh: over Schaefer has almost nothing to do with his games, though, is the thing. And that makes him very fundamentally different from Molyneux. They're just upset about some things he said on twitter or some forum.

Broken Age is a pretty good story game. Which is the one that's screwed up? Massive Chalice? Starbase? Was he even heading those games? :shrug:

Starbase DF9 is pretty much the same as Godus, with Schaefer ctrl-v'ed in for Molyneux. And they're still selling it, despite it being permanently unfinished in "1.0". Moly has more of a history, but Schaefer pulled the same poo poo.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Zaphod42 posted:

The reason some goons are :argh: over Schaefer has almost nothing to do with his games, though, is the thing.

Eh, I think a lot of it has to do with Spacebase DF-9, which was a shitshow but Double Fine seems to have actually learned their lesson pretty well from it (at the cost of people who bought it...) and won't try the same plan of "funding a lovely alpha of a game by selling that lovely alpha with nothing interesting in it" again.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The weird RTS was what it was about from the start, the open world was added later. The marketing and demo kinda misrepresented the poo poo out of the game.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Zaphod42 posted:

Well DF9 Schafer helped sell with his name and his brand and also his personal word, but no he wasn't directly involved somebody else was lead

It was Schafer personally who got a massively bigger budget and then blew it along with a ton more money on the opening half of a game, running out of money at several points along the way

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

JordanKai posted:

If you actually care about a rich scam artist's self esteem from a journalist saying deservedly mean things to his face and aren't just playing internet devil's advocate there is a serious, serious issue that needs to be addressed

I believe it's more that saying deservedly mean things to a rich scam artist in a professional piece of games journalism makes said journalism hard to take seriously and looks really bad and immature for both parties involved.

I don't think anyone really doubts the shifty stuff PM has done. He deserves scorn, sure. But there are definitely better ways that interview could have been handled while still getting the same point across.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

quote:

xezton posted:

I believe it's more that saying deservedly mean things to a rich scam artist in a professional piece of games journalism makes said journalism hard to take seriously and looks really bad and immature for both parties involved.

I don't think anyone really doubts the shifty stuff PM has done. He deserves scorn, sure. But there are definitely better ways that interview could have been handled while still getting the same point across.

To expand on that, it's worth noting that if you're trying to condemn someone with an interview, starting your interview out with what is effectively "Are you a liar? Then why are you lying you loving liar?" pretty much only creates sympathy for the interviewee. Give people rope to hang themselves with, etc.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Zaphod42 posted:

Broken Age is a pretty good story game.
That may be, but he still screwed it up, overspent, and couldn't even finish the game right away. He pulled together a lot of big name voice actors, tried to get all fancy, this and that, and even extended the length and scope of the game. The result was a half(?) finished game that remains unfinished as we wait for them to create part 2. I don't feel like a budget ever came into this project, and this is apparently something he does frequently with his projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Peter Molyneux is the M. Night Shamalan of games.