Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
What a coincidence. I wondered how Schröder became chairman of the shareholder commission of Gazprom as soon as his political carreer ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Are there any documentaries on Chinese business practices that I could watch? Also, that BBC Chinese episode is down, anyone have a link to it?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Are there any documentaries on Chinese business practices that I could watch? Also, that BBC Chinese episode is down, anyone have a link to it?

chinese business practices:

- get drunk

- go to ktv

- repeat step 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKfsx8xGef8

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Blistex posted:

People were filling cargo containers with milk powder from Australia and New Zealand and making a fortune when the milk scare was at its height. A big container that would go for $20 USD would sell easily for 2-3x that. Chinese parents are still willing to pay a good premium to make sure baby formula doesn't kill their kids, even though some of the culprits were executed and testing happens on a daily basis.

Edit: The problem is that Chinese suppliers are willing to risk a lot to make another 1% profit. Guy I knew who had a laminate flooring factory in a Chinese prison was talking about a guy who had a supplier in China he contracted to make oil pipe parts. They sign the contract, the guy produces a batch, and they all pass inspection. A month later the next shipment isn't to spec and are useless. The metal is wrong, the fasteners are the wrong size, and the holes for bolts are in the wrong place. He drives to the factory to talk to the boss and it's closed. They're not making poo poo. The boss is in his office and with the exception of himself and his secretary, the factory is abandoned. Seems he subcontracted the work out to someone cheaper. They hop in the car, go to the subcontractor's factory, and same thing! He subcontracted it out to some other place.

The same thing happened with those Fischer Price toys with the toxic paint. The initial factory started cheaping out and subcontracting the paint. They got screwed over when their subcontractor subbed it out again, and the supplier they got gave them lead paint.

Paul Midler's book Poorly Made in China documents this exact scenario happening to some American sucker trying to have soap produced. It's a great read.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Professor Shark posted:

Here's all you need to know about KTV.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

quote:

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/qNEBYdv.jpg[/timg

Not sure how I feel about this.. :crossarms:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 14, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Stick Insect posted:

There are now limits in place on the amount sold. But this is per transaction, so they can just queue up again and repeat the process while someone else guards the earlier purchases outside of the shop. Repeat until all the shops in town are completely out of stock. Some shops no longer put them on the shelves and require customers to ask for them. Other shops got caught selling extra powder at the back door for inflated prices.

why don't stores just order more milk powder and/or increase the price so their profits are higher. i don't see the problem

i've got this capitalism thing figured out

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Kavak posted:

Sticking to your native foods in a foreign country is the kind of poo poo a kid does, like when I visited Germany a decade ago. I'm still kicking myself for not eating at the Hofbräuhaus every night.

Goons are spregy about food. I don't like Italian food but I like Italy. I just eat other stuff there.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

cool mr bean

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dunno if this was posted already or not, but here's an interesting documentary about China:

China Rising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxVIBO0IfLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCmPU8m3Fqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-WQ1CI3hZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxQQDxJ5hr0

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 13, 2015

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Didnt know about China file. It has some good reads. Enjoyed reading about the manchu palisade.

http://www.chinafile.com/reporting-opinion/postcard/lesser-wall

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

those are ladyboys

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Darkman Fanpage posted:

those are ladyboys

quote:

"They think it's OK because the breasts are not real," says Wu wearily.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

China has finally replaced the USA.

(In terms of creating a new type of loud completely horrible tourist)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so what do y'all think, is china's boom going to go out spectacularly like the japanese or with a whimper? because either way i put my money on everyone looking back at thinking china's going to overtake the US in like 2010 with a big laugh and then immediately forgetting about china again

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I wonder what will happen when they find out that there's not enough resources to live the white man's dream.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 14, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Read some of the links, they left me wondering if, in the Arms Race of Trust, business partners occasionally murder prostitutes together...

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

how much does imported milk powder cost in China? is it really more expensive than fedexin' it over from all across the world?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

waitwhatno posted:

how much does imported milk powder cost in China? is it really more expensive than fedexin' it over from all across the world?

It's China. If it was for your baby, would you really trust the label? It would be way cheaper for a local company to buy chinese milk powder and stick "Made in the USA" labels on it than to actually import the stuff.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Would you do that, if you know that the guy that you bought the powder from subcontracted the stuff out ad absurdum, so that you can be sure there's rat poison, lime or a lethal dose of heavy metals in there? You could as well book your own funeral instead.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

why would you trust someone in china selling 'imported milk powder'? it's not going to be imported milk powder, it's going to be chinese milk powder. if you oversee the importation yourself you get rid of that problem?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I just can't believe that no one in western companies has figured out a way to make money from this. There must be a reliable way to check if a product is untempered at home, right? Maybe involving buttcoin encryption and shady electric wiring?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What's all this about milk powder?? WHat have i missed

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They could breast feed but herp derp.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Zzulu posted:

What's all this about milk powder?? WHat have i missed

i'm working on a milkpowder-China-bitcoin scam. are you looking to invest?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
say no more you have all my yuans

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
speaking of yuans, its some pretty colorful monies

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
lol all three have mao's face

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

waitwhatno posted:

I just can't believe that no one in western companies has figured out a way to make money from this. There must be a reliable way to check if a product is untempered at home, right? Maybe involving buttcoin encryption and shady electric wiring?

It's not that easy to open an import business in China and any proof you try to manufacture you're going to manufacture in China, which they're going to sell out the back door to knockoff whatever companies.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JaucheCharly posted:

Would you do that, if you know that the guy that you bought the powder from subcontracted the stuff out ad absurdum, so that you can be sure there's rat poison, lime or a lethal dose of heavy metals in there? You could as well book your own funeral instead.

Your funeral has been subcontracted to a latrine digger outside Lhasa.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Medieval Medic posted:

lol all three have mao's face

ROLFMAO

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

steinrokkan posted:

Your funeral has been subcontracted to a latrine digger outside Lhasa.

Thx. I've always wanted to have my casket launched into an open sewage canal. Or is it cremation in a trash bin?

waitwhatno posted:

You can check out the lenghts that chinese go to produce counterfeit drugs. The pharma industry would surely buy you a new adidas tracksuit and some sneakers if you come up with way to make counterfeiting and tempering impossible.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

Thx. I've always wanted to have my casket launched into an open sewage canal. Or is it cremation in a trash bin?

You can check out the lenghts that chinese go to produce counterfeit drugs. The pharma industry would surely buy you a new adidas tracksuit and some sneakers if you come up with way to make counterfeiting and tempering impossible.

I'm gonna be the idea man, if you do the ppt presentations

tokenized product codes; slap one outside on the box to scan with your smartphone, slap one inside the box. the one inside the box can only be checked once and is invalidated after that. it also tells you what randomised hidden dye they added to this box, if you want to go the extra mile and buy their patented chemical dye reagent set. website for all of this is hosted in the us.

I think this is doable with costs <1000$ per box of powder. any investors?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I still can't believe 1/3rd of all medicine is counterfeit. Like, that's a loving national crisis right there.

And it makes it even worse since all drugstores are nation-owned!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
....and the counterfeit medicine still works better than TCM.

Actually that's not a bad idea dude. If everyone with a kid had a smartphone.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

waitwhatno posted:

I'm gonna be the idea man, if you do the ppt presentations

tokenized product codes; slap one outside on the box to scan with your smartphone, slap one inside the box. the one inside the box can only be checked once and is invalidated after that. it also tells you what randomised hidden dye they added to this box, if you want to go the extra mile and buy their patented chemical dye reagent set. website for all of this is hosted in the us.

I think this is doable with costs <1000$ per box of powder. any investors?

there's already something similar for bottled water where each jug is serialized

http://www.beijing-kids.com/blog/charcey/2012/01/30/Purified-Water-Fake-or-Real

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
How awesome would it be to get your pristine baby formula that you pay extra for from your relatives abroad, only to mix it with your local, lovely, heavy metal water...

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
China has modernized in the worst way if smuggling formula from across the world makes more sense to them than breast feeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Twinkie Czar posted:

China has modernized in the worst way if smuggling formula from across the world makes more sense to them than breast feeding.

i'm actually impressed that they made it to the 1950's already

• Locked thread