Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Ahhh, Oxxidation, stop with the thrusting, STOP WITH THE THRUSTING!

We've seen the Doctor, time and time again, stop the Daleks to the point that his nicknames during the Time War were "The Oncoming Storm" and "The Predator." He's the one being who has earned the Daleks' fear.

River? We haven't seen her do anything to the Daleks, or anywhere, to earn that fear. If anything, the Dalek should have mocked her and shot at her as a nuscience. The writing just doesn't back up the scene.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Burkion posted:

See, the problem with this?

That wasn't a *GOOD THING* the Doctor did.

It was presented as pretty loving lovely all things considered.
Yes, exactly! This guy gets it! So, in exactly the same way, when Riv-

Burkion posted:

With River it's just an echo without the meaning. "She's so badass she can make a Dalek beg for mercy!" It's not a flaw, it's a feature.
Cripes!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Father Octavian: Don't trust her. She killed a man. A good man. A hero to many.

Doctor Who Viewer: Ugh, River is such a Mary Sue even the other characters keep praising her!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

EDIT: I'm sorry for having a meltdown about the Dalek scene in your thread, Occupation!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

2house2fly posted:

Her whole thing is that we have seen the end of her story but not her beginning! We know her future but not her past! What she will do but not what she did! Is this some kind of prank everyone is in on?

You're just seeing the River-effect. She has lot of haters, but also lot of lovers. :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Her whole thing is that we have seen the end of her story but not her beginning! We know her future but not her past! What she will do but not what she did! Is this some kind of prank everyone is in on?

That sort of doesn't matter, though, particularly when the development of her character is working the other way round. If she becomes progressively more like a superhero, but we are mostly supposed to take it on faith that she is one, her superhero-ness is overwritten. To be clear, I do not hate River as a character. I am not slobbering at the mouth calling for her death. i just think she was more interesting in her first couple of episodes and that they tried to juggle a little too much with her later and dropped the ball as a result.

I don't think she detracts from this two-parter much, I'm just not terribly interested in her role in it, but very interested in everyone else's.

adhuin posted:

You're just seeing the River-effect. She has lot of haters, but also lot of lovers. :)

I'm not either. I really liked her at the beginning and became lukewarm later.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Paul.Power posted:

Incidentally, Vincent and the Doctor got nominations for both a Bradbury Award ("Outstanding Dramatic Presentation") and a Hugo Award ("Best Dramatic Presentation (Short Form)"). I know that was probably part of the reason (doing my research for the guessing game) that I guessed A for it.
An additional note on this: guess what Vincent and the Doctor lost the Hugo to?

Yep, The Pandorica Opens/Big Bang two-parter.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Bicyclops posted:

I'm not either. I really liked her at the beginning and became lukewarm later.

Of course not everyone. She is just a very polarizing character.

Edit: For the Record. I'm very much in Lover category.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

I am not slobbering at the mouth calling for her death.

Well I mean, if you want that, I have a two parter I can point you to.

And I am not saying River is a Mary Sue or whatever nonsense for the Dalek scene- I'm not even saying I CARE that much about it. But it isn't that good of a scene and automatically discounting anyone who doesn't like it is kind of silly.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

And I am not saying River is a Mary Sue or whatever nonsense for the Dalek scene- I'm not even saying I CARE that much about it. But it isn't that good of a scene and automatically discounting anyone who doesn't like it is kind of silly.

Yeah, same here.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Obviously you don't have to like the scene, but whether you like the scene or not it's a sinister foreshadowing scene and not a demonstration of awesomeness.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Am I misremembering the scene? From what I remember it runs "Beg for mercy" "You are a companion of the doc-torrr, so you wont execture me" "I'm river song, check your records" <dalek checks records, find out that river in fact DOES have a record of killing things, doesnt want to die> "Mer-cy!". It would have said the same thing if it was Ace, or the Brig, or any companion of the doctor who it has records that show they would in fact kill an unarmed dalek. The only difference is that most of them wouldnt have waited for it to check and beg before kiling it, but that speaks more to the person River is than to anything else.

kant
May 12, 2003

CobiWann posted:

River? We haven't seen her do anything to the Daleks, or anywhere, to earn that fear. If anything, the Dalek should have mocked her and shot at her as a nuscience. The writing just doesn't back up the scene.

That's the whole point. She's a mystery, The Doctor doesn't know her, she won't spoil anything, and as viewers we've seen very little about who she really is. So, the only option left is for us to learn about her through characters like the Dalek and Octavian.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Transcript of the scene btw:

Dalek: Records indicate you will show mercy. You are an associate of the Doctor's.
River: I'm River Song. Check your records again.
[brief pause while the Dalek accesses its records and shits what might be, since it's currently made out of stone, a literal brick]
Dalek: Mercy.
River: Say it again.
Dalek: Mercy!
River: One more time.
Dalek: MERCYYYYY!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Craptacular! posted:

At first, all her confidence comes from having a magic book, and in Time Of Angels the script in the book wasn't followed correctly (the ship wasn't supposed to crash, the whole thing wasn't supposed to be filled with super angels that break the rules of angels)

When she meets 10 in the Library and tries to sync diaries the first thing she mentions is "the crash of the Byzantium".

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Obviously you don't have to like the scene, but whether you like the scene or not it's a sinister foreshadowing scene and not a demonstration of awesomeness.

I do not think that it is sinister foreshadowing at all.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Bicyclops posted:

If she becomes progressively more like a superhero, but we are mostly supposed to take it on faith that she is one, her superhero-ness is overwritten.

Her escape to kick off the Angel episode was the second most superhero thing I've seen in Doctor Who. At least if we're defining superhero as someone pulling off ridiculous feats like it ain't no thang.

She does do that a lot, mind you. But she's with Eleven, who does it so constantly.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think River is fine is in the Angels two-parter. I don't like her in the season 5 finale.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oxx pretty much nailed why I love the Eleventh Doctor so much.
He's the magician. All his plans and schemes are lies and misdirections, until the time for the big reveal and then suddenly there's a tiger wearing a fez where the TARDIS used to be. It's not enough to save the day, it has to be quiet, right up until curtain time, then it's the biggest show of them all.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I like River pretty much all the time and I'm glad all the haters have to deal with the reviews in this thread being written by people who like her too.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Organza Quiz posted:

I like River pretty much all the time and I'm glad all the haters have to deal with the reviews in this thread being written by people who like her too.

Such a cross I bear

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Like all of Moffat's pet characters, River is terrible.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Most of Moffat's stuff, especially River and the Weeping Angels, goes like this: I loved them on their first appearance. I still mostly liked them through series 5, but I started to see problems. For fear of spoilers, I won't say any more, but I will have Strong Opinions next series. Basically, series five was very good on its own, but in hindsight I see the seeds of problems that will become much more pronounced in the future.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Then again, since we're going backwards through River's story (for the most part), you can argue that reverse character development is her whole deal: we're gradually seeing all of her rough edges unpolished back on.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel like if the internet and our understanding of writer crutches existed decades ago, you'd see similar stuff about The Master. "Why does this character fail yet always keep coming back? What is the long plan here?"
"Credit to Delgado for trying his best, but this character gets on my nerves and not in a good way."

Not to say any of Moffat's introductory characters are going to be in that pantheon, but you can't keep going to the nostalgia well forever, otherwise you end up with "an episode that reintroduces that one Fifth Doctor villain played by a man wearing a cloak with a paper mache mask." (Note to serious historians: this is an imagined exaggeration, but I know you probably have thought of a monster or three that might fit the bill.)

Both show runners do it a lot because it's easy to remaster something and get acclaim for simply having tried, but at the end of the day I'm not as irritated by Moffat's "pet characters" as much as I am by farting aliens and "The Doctor's Daughter."

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I bet if Jack Harkness did everything River did then people would be loving every minute of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pwnstar posted:

I bet if Jack Harkness did everything River did then people would be loving every minute of it.

If that was true, Torchwood would be talked about as a beloved show in Doctor Who threads.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

If that was true, Torchwood would be talked about as a beloved show in Doctor Who threads.

That's disingenuous. People dislike Torchwood because it's an awful, awful show, not because they dislike Jack Harkness as a character.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Organza Quiz posted:

That's disingenuous. People dislike Torchwood because it's an awful, awful show, not because they dislike Jack Harkness as a character.

I've read more than a few complaints about Torchwood Jack being not nearly as enjoyable to watch as Doctor Who Jack.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think that's inevitable when the whole show is written to be slow and boring as gently caress.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lycus posted:

I think that's inevitable when the whole show is written to be slow and boring as gently caress.

Mature and sexy!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Sarah Jane Adventures had more respect for the intelligence of its audience than Torchwood did.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've read more than a few complaints about Torchwood Jack being not nearly as enjoyable to watch as Doctor Who Jack.

It's true, Jack's the sort of character that's great to have as a supporting character within the confines of someone else's story, but one about them just isn't going to be as good. The same goes with Jack Sparrow, Deadpool, arguably Wolverine and the Hulk (at least in the movies); all great ancillary characters, but they can't carry a story by themselves. The resulting story will either make that character far less interesting to watch by giving them the duties and arc required of a protagonist (or prove they aren't that interesting in the first place), or make the story itself unappealing by trying to build it around this B-side character.

Although strangely, I think if you tried to codify the sort of characters that get treated like this, the Doctor would fit a lot of the criteria. With him it's different, because he's always been intended as the central character, but he's definitely the same sort of figure as characters like Jack Sparrow. Perhaps it's because, despite the name of the show and the central character, very rarely is a story actually about him. He's usually intruding on other people's stories, stepping in to solve somebody else's problem, with either story-specific characters or the companion taking the role of the 'emotional lead'.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well originally that was exactly what he was- the engmatic third party that was NOT the focus of the series.

That fell more on Ian, Barbra and Susan, his granddaughter. The Doctor was too aloof, too alien, and too disinterested to really be the focus.

Then as the series went on, and his companions one by one left, he stepped up and developed into what we have today.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

This is an example of the absurd polarizing that happens when some people have mild criticism for the way a character is written.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

Honestly, Jack has done more to earn it, not even counting Torchwood, just for surviving the early RTD era with his popularity intact.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I never watched Torchwood, but Jack Harkness in Doctor Who was a competent roguish adventurer whose biggest talent was making people want to have sex with him. If they had later decided that Daleks were terrified of him enough to call out for mercy and that he was in a high security prison he could escape from whenever he wanted, I would not have liked this addition, and would have considered it a little silly. I am not sure why he is being brought up at all in the context of River, as they have very little to do with each other.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Jack Harkness is a benign swashbuckling space adventurer and taunting and murdering a powerless opponent in cold blood would be a disservice to his character :colbert:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Jack Harkness is a benign swashbuckling space adventurer and taunting and murdering a powerless opponent in cold blood would be a disservice to his character :colbert:

Someone needs to watch more Torchwood. :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Never watch Torchwood
Don't ever suggest watching Torchwood even as some twisted punishment

• Locked thread