Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

ur wish... has been granted.... almost

Good enough! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

- Changed Blackbong Dank Yards illegal commodities from drugs and hand weapons to organs and hand weapons.

MY IMMERSION!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

quote:

- Changed Blackbong Dank Yards illegal commodities from drugs and hand weapons to organs and hand weapons.
why would you do this?!

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
edit: nvm that was dumb

\/ heh that's pretty much what I said.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 14, 2015

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Blackdick dong yards

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Whiterock Crack Yards
Blackbull Cuck Yards < good GBS username
Dopesmack Blow Yards
Blackshack Meth Labs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crackrock Dive Bars

I'm still skeptical of the combat changes but I'll give it a go and see how it turns out. I guess it'll be interesting if there are some more reloadable missiles at least.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

The combat changes set off some kind of frenzy of reactions on the official boards, people are saying ballistics are bad now because Alex removed their biggest weakness and added a soft cap in place of the old hard cap. I don't really get it. Yeah you'll run out of ammo faster, but ballistics by design allow you to end the fight before that happens if you play your cards right, and bigger ships can go for expanded mags like they used to.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The combat changes set off some kind of frenzy of reactions on the official boards, people are saying ballistics are bad now because Alex removed their biggest weakness and added a soft cap in place of the old hard cap. I don't really get it. Yeah you'll run out of ammo faster, but ballistics by design allow you to end the fight before that happens if you play your cards right, and bigger ships can go for expanded mags like they used to.

The best part about the ballistics rebalance is that Heavy Maulers aren't the ultimate ballistic anymore. Heavy Maulers were so broken, but a very small ammo pool fixes them without having to change too much about their other stats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My two penn'orth:

Balance is a bit all over the place. I'd be hard pressed to tell you general shifts in balance but there's some specific weapons that are hideously powerful and some that are a bit meh, especially for their OP costs.

Tac lasers are predictably rather hideous at the moment. They basically annihilate anything with low flux management/no shielding, I am going to try just fitting every mount on a cruiser with tac lasers at some point to see how horrible I can make it but I think the 1000 range was a bit of a mistake, given they outclass more or less all other small weapons at the moment.

Ballistics in general are more powerful, but also rather similar to energy weapons. With the removal of flux scaling and the addition of the ammo system, both function similarly. The ammo system would be interesting but it comes into play rather rarely, much like the old ammo counts. Not really seeing the point of the addition, especially when ships now have the peak performance limits which further renders the ammo system a bit redundant. I've yet to run out of it in a way that affects my performance before I was due to retreat anyway. The removal of energy weapon flux scaling is also a bit pointless? It just makes the weapons less interesting. There is no ammo, no cooldown, and no flux management game to play with energy weapons, they're very dull now in comparison to previous versions. Not sure what the point of the change was.

Missiles are neat, especially the regenerating ones. A gemini with two hypervelocity cannons and a pilum in the front is quite handily mopping the floor with similar destroyers, thanks to the ammo regen. But there aren't many missiles with this property. I'd like to see it on more missiles but as it stands I just pack pilums/salamanders on every missile hardpoint because they're better than everything else.

Overall the balance pass is more confusing than anything, there's some good ideas but most of it seems to be just shuffling around, not really improving the game any.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Absolutely the same experience with Tac Lasers - they are incredibly good against anything small enough to not vent enough to deal with the soft flux and they absolutely eat anything without shields for lunch. Generally Unshielded stuff seems even worse than it was, but Unshielded stuff has always been a hugely problematic thing.

In terms of ballistics, I've found the ammo system has brought a lot more interesting weapons to the fore. Stuff like Gauss is a lot better because it has a decent-enough pool, while Maulers have been (finally) hit very hard by the ammo changes. But unlike just making the pools smaller, they're not completely unusable - good weapons with small pools still perform extremely well in the opening of the fights.

I've built a small missile mod to give them all regen and standardized firing rates and the game's working out really well - I've yet to find a missile that's too good or too weak when they all regen ammo at different rates. It also reels back the power of the Wolf quite a bit - although not quite enough to make up for them having 3 tac-lasers.

Interestingly, with a vast variety of usable missile types, the Buffalo MK2 is almost worth using as a steady fire-support platform, it's just the lack of a shield is still slightly too crippling.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

Interestingly, with a vast variety of usable missile types, the Buffalo MK2 is almost worth using as a steady fire-support platform, it's just the lack of a shield is still slightly too crippling.

I was actually thinking of getting a buffalo 2 and packing it with regen missiles, just not sure if I'd have enough OP to give it extended deployment time and maybe jam a crappy shield onto it.

Though there are a couple of suitable destroyers which could to the same, the enforcer comes with four small missile mounts and is already pretty beastly, give it some flak guns and salamanders and I daresay it'd make a monstrous support destroyer.

I'd agree that there are some ballistic weapons that are better with the ammo changes, but I guess my main criticism is that it renders them all rather similar. Ammo is simply not a thing to be at all interested in at the moment, because you will always have plenty of it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 15, 2015

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

The Buffalo MkII will become truly viable once you can get a super cowardly officer and assign him to it...

Regen missiles don't matter because staying power was never the ship's strong suit. It's a cheap shot ship designed to win through cheesy tactics, eg. a death swarm of missiles. I'd say the best setup should you happen to get one in your fleet is to stick as many Harpoon as you can fit and just watch it massacre frigs. It will die eventually, but in my mind, Buffalo MkII are like Saiyans. If it survives a battle it becomes stronger, and when it dies you can just resurrect it :v:

Now the Enforcer however is disgusting with Salamanders. Any ship with a lot of staying power and small universal/missile slots.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 15, 2015

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I was actually thinking of getting a buffalo 2 and packing it with regen missiles, just not sure if I'd have enough OP to give it extended deployment time and maybe jam a crappy shield onto it.

Though there are a couple of suitable destroyers which could to the same, the enforcer comes with four small missile mounts and is already pretty beastly, give it some flak guns and salamanders and I daresay it'd make a monstrous support destroyer.

I'd agree that there are some ballistic weapons that are better with the ammo changes, but I guess my main criticism is that it renders them all rather similar. Ammo is simply not a thing to be at all interested in at the moment, because you will always have plenty of it.

It does matter a lot for some weapons - and what really forces you to think about it is the Ammo Feeder System. You go through most ballistic weapons really quick when that's turned on. I agree that there' still some fairly useless or overlapping types though. Especially on the low end in the PD niche. Vulcan/Machinegun/2xMachinegun/Autocannon/Mortar/blegh - they're all very similar in that sub 500 range is incredibly bad and the AI can't deal with it. A ton of it in the medium kinetic area too, with all the machine guns, autocannons, needlers, etc.

Enforcer is a beast, and it's stats are oddly great compared to other destroyers at it's price point and tech level. The 5 Medium Ballistics and 4 Small Missiles (and hot drat a lot of OP) are really, really good compared to the 2xSmall Missiles, 2x Medium Ballistics and 4x Small Energy of a Hammerhead (and a lot less OP). Although I suppose the buff to Tac Lasers has done a lot to make small energy a lot more desirable.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 15, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I avoided using Ballistic weapons until now as I always ran out of ammo well before other considerations become an issue. Ammo also limited the total damage a ship could do and because they drained at very different rates it meant you would have capability gaps. I still don't like the whole peak performance mechanic especially extended as it is as it was a clumsy system to deal with frigate swarms/knife fighting indefinitely. I would have introduced tractor beams as a possible mechanic to balance out frigates so it would be harder for them to hit and run.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Anyone have a good loadout for the 00-Series Nevermore, the one without the Antimatter Lance that has a large universal up front instead? Right now I'm running it with an Ironstorm in that slot, but I'm finding it pretty underwhelming.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I'm surprised (but pleased) you even managed to get ahold of one, did it spawn in a black market?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Bold Robot posted:

00-Series Nevermore, the one without the Antimatter Lance

A sin against God.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm surprised (but pleased) you even managed to get ahold of one, did it spawn in a black market?

Spawned in Gneiss in the military market :shrug:.

I feel like it has a lot of potential with the four small slots up front and the huge amount of medium slots, but I haven't found a setup I like yet. Putting four Sunjet PDEs (or whatever the small green anti-armor beam is called) on the front of it is fun, though.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 15, 2015

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Ah, it does have a low chance to spawn there as well. That's cool. Well, that ship is designed to be ridiculously fun to outfit and honestly kinda broken, so you can basically just do whatever the gently caress you want with it. Here's three loadouts I made with no extra OPs, you can see how different they can get. All are perfectly capable of bodying a Dominator/Aurora 1v1.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Is it just me or has mod development slowed down considerably? I mean it seems like there are more and more abandoned mods every time I go to play, and not many new ones.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Well I'd say modding quality has improved overall, but modding itself has become harder and harder over time because the floor level to be a "full" faction mod rises every patch. back in 2011/12 all you needed was a bunch of ships, a mission or two, and when the campaign came, maybe a spawner plugin and station, which was impressive back then because nobody had really done it before.

Now you need to design a market, a huge .faction file, a system spawner, etc etc and that's just not considering all the spriting, strings, trial and error in spreadsheets, design work and polish needed for good combat layer content, esp since most older mods have become enormously scripted and have at least one or two insane flashy combat layer things to stand out. Making a kitbash (edited vanilla sprites) faction in 2015 is completely pointless since the modding mafia pools all their vanilla style content into SS+.
A good picture of how it has become is the fact that the latest campaign updates single handedly killed a bunch of mods because the creators couldnt be arsed to set up markets. And its only going to get worse as Alex adds more poo poo to the game.

The only mod that recently came out of nowhere and reached a huge level of polish is SCY, and its mostly one guy's work too E: and Templars, which was me and DR

I've worked on Blackrock since 2012 on and off and I'm glad I started early, I've had a lot of time to polish and refine stuff. Even the name of the mod and some of the oldest ship designs like the nevermore are from way back in 2009 or whenever it was, maybe even 2008, the Battleships Forever forum metagame. jesus.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 16, 2015

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I do have to admit for having some fondness for the the old simplicity of there being just Corvus and everything being thrown in there. Playing Uomoz's mod back then with a shitton of factions in one system was pretty fun.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND please give BDY a second system with an absolutely unbelievable poo poo ton of Pirates and Hegemony so I can grind rep and shoot dudes tia

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Well I'd say modding quality has improved overall, but modding itself has become harder and harder over time because the floor level to be a "full" faction mod rises every patch. back in 2011/12 all you needed was a bunch of ships, a mission or two, and when the campaign came, maybe a spawner plugin and station, which was impressive back then because nobody had really done it before.

Now you need to design a market, a huge .faction file, a system spawner, etc etc and that's just not considering all the spriting, strings, trial and error in spreadsheets, design work and polish needed for good combat layer content, esp since most older mods have become enormously scripted and have at least one or two insane flashy combat layer things to stand out. Making a kitbash (edited vanilla sprites) faction in 2015 is completely pointless since the modding mafia pools all their vanilla style content into SS+.
A good picture of how it has become is the fact that the latest campaign updates single handedly killed a bunch of mods because the creators couldnt be arsed to set up markets. And its only going to get worse as Alex adds more poo poo to the game.

The only mod that recently came out of nowhere and reached a huge level of polish is SCY, and its mostly one guy's work too E: and Templars, which was me and DR

I've worked on Blackrock since 2012 on and off and I'm glad I started early, I've had a lot of time to polish and refine stuff. Even the name of the mod and some of the oldest ship designs like the nevermore are from way back in 2009 or whenever it was, maybe even 2008, the Battleships Forever forum metagame. jesus.

^ Yup

Also, as he said, making a mod is harder now because you have to add even more of these arcane java files that people without prior coding experience (such as me) will have a really hard time understanding, adapting and bugtest. Creating a line of ships for a faction is easy, getting said faction into the game is hard.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

First Bass posted:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND please give BDY a second system with an absolutely unbelievable poo poo ton of Pirates and Hegemony so I can grind rep and shoot dudes tia

Thats pretty much my next goalpost, the system will be a three way war with TT, heg and BRDY probably, maybe even a small pirate holdout somewhere for extra clusterfuck

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Thats pretty much my next goalpost, the system will be a three way war with TT, heg and BRDY probably, maybe even a small pirate holdout somewhere for extra clusterfuck

Large pirate holdout. I want to watch the sector BURN :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd really like just a bucketload of systems in the game with randomised planets, pirate bases, and maybe a few ships like the templars which are terrifyingly powerful.

I like just exploring and finding neat stuff.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
0.65.2b just landed and the clip system has made its exit. Probably for the best, as I didn't notice any real difference.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

It's also done a bunch of other stuff, like nerfing Salamander HE damage (very good) and nerfing pilums into the ground (not so good - they have half the range and are slower than many ships, including some destroyers with skills).

And just to make it clear - it's not the clip system that's gone. It's the entire ammo system for ballistics. They all have infinite ammo, so good-bye ballistics trade-offs, it's back to Needlers and Maulers.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 17, 2015

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

First Bass posted:

Large holdouts everywhere. I want to watch the galaxy BURN :colbert:
Here and there, of course.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Talkie Toaster posted:

0.65.2b just landed and the clip system has made its exit. Probably for the best, as I didn't notice any real difference.

DatonKallandor posted:

It's also done a bunch of other stuff, like nerfing Salamander HE damage (very good) and nerfing pilums into the ground (not so good - they have half the range and are slower than many ships, including some destroyers with skills).

And just to make it clear - it's not the clip system that's gone. It's the entire ammo system for ballistics. They all have infinite ammo, so good-bye ballistics trade-offs, it's back to Needlers and Maulers.

What? There are no patch notes on the forums and the DL is still 0.65.2a...

Edit: N/M Alex didn't update the patch notes thread's title. Thanks for the heads up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What on earth is he playing at with the balance patches? They're seriously all over the place.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

It seems like he wants to refine the combat and simplify it so it won't be too hard to understand as a whole as the rest of the game exponentially grows in complexity. At least that's the way I see it. I think removing ammo won't matter at all in the long run, and I'm relieved that he left the clip mechanic in for modders to play with, and the nerf to LRMs and Salamanders was good.

The interesting thing is how low-tech has gone from being the least sustainable tech category to being the most sustainable one, with Energy-mount heavy ships now running out of CR faster and going into malfunctions faster. Which makes sense given that high-tech ships can usually kite and reset without taking hull damage more easily, at least in theory.

E: Oh hey, Templars, SS+ and Exigency just updated. SS+ has like 12 new ships, Templars has 1 new ship and 1 new weapons, and Exigency has like a gazillion new modular weapons and tons of polish.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 18, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What the hell ship is that?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Which mod are the ships in that gif from?

efb

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Exigency.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6509.0

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

You'd better go play Exigency right the gently caress now if you haven't seen it before. It's the most atypical faction by far, and one of the most well-made faction mods with very solid direction on everything. Every ship also has a right-click ship system scripted from scratch in addition to the Repulsor that acts as the ships' main defense, which occupies the ship system slot on most ships.

historically, one of the main complaints about the mod was a lack of modular weaponry, meaning you mostly encountered one type of ship per class in the faction. Now there's a lot more and you can make your own variants and play around like you can with other factions.

:hf:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 18, 2015

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

From the colouration it looks like a exigency ship.

Everyone should play starsector plus, the changes to the character skills alone are very neat and you should all try them out.

E; FB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Is it worth using The Knights Templar mod as well?