Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Okay the first one (from the foreground to the background) is Death of Superman.
Next we have Golden Age Superman's death during Infinite Crisis.
The one with Luthor checking Superman's heart beat is a classic "Imaginary" story from the Pre Crisis. In that one Luthor kills Superman (and spends ages making sure, bombarding the body with more Kryptonite radiation, using a super stethoscope to make sure he's dead.) It's a pretty fun story and it's cool to see it there.
The one after that is from All Star Superman.
The one with a pile of Superman corpses and Gog sitting over them is from the Kingdom, the DC sort of sequel to Kingdom Come.
The next one is small, but it looks like a bed with the communist symbol. I think it's a reference to Red Son Superman.
The next one is really small, but it looks like Batman Beyond standing over Superman. Maybe it's a reference to Future's End.
The one after that looks like Superman imapled on a spear, not really clear.
The final one looks like Superman's rocket crashed into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

The final one looks like Superman's rocket crashed into the ground.

The cosmic equivalent of this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

The first one is Death of Superman and he doesn't die in that one either.

Yes he does! He even went to purgatory!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Got to talk with Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti at Shock Pop Con this weekend in Fort Lauderdale. They seemed legit bummed out to not be writing the Harley story for Convergence. They also spilled some beans on the Harley-Powergirl mini series and it sounds hilarious. They were both super friendly and I got some prints signed by Conner. :3:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Trast posted:

Got to talk with Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti at Shock Pop Con this weekend in Fort Lauderdale. They seemed legit bummed out to not be writing the Harley story for Convergence. They also spilled some beans on the Harley-Powergirl mini series and it sounds hilarious. They were both super friendly and I got some prints signed by Conner. :3:

Rad! They say anything about Starfire?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I'll admit that I haven't actually read it but didn't he just go into Super Hibernation?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

I don't remember that at all, and I reread it not that long ago.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

You are clearly forgetting the epic story where Pa Kent has a heart attack, and in the afterlife meets his son being eaten by a demon. However Pa' hits the demon with a shovel, releasing it's hold on Clark for long enough for him to fight back.

Considering the whole thing is a dream that Jonathan is having, I took it as a non-literal story. But then again I remember comic fans who literally argue that the only reason why Superman was able to come back from the dead is because his father had to go into the afterlife and use his Astral-shovel.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Beefstew posted:

Rad! They say anything about Starfire?

They were real excited about that. They said they were aiming for the same feel that Powergirl had and Harley Quinn has now. So we're likely going to get a book that is less vapid sex object and more lighthearted cheesecake aka a Palmiotti/Conner book. Conner seemed really happy with the first cover and how it turned out.

Also they were very adamant that DC is leaving them alone to do things however they want with their books which was good to hear. Palmiotti told the fans hanging around that the PG/Harley actually started as an idea that they planted in the current Harley comic and weren't sure if DC was going to let them do it. It actually starts in the current Harley book and you can spot it if you put a little thought into a couple frames of one of the recent issues. I'm really looking forward to getting it.

Also they both said this Powergirl is the one from their series, not the Earth-2 Powergirl from New 52.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

You are clearly forgetting the epic story where Pa Kent has a heart attack, and in the afterlife meets his son being eaten by a demon. However Pa' hits the demon with a shovel, releasing it's hold on Clark for long enough for him to fight back.

Considering the whole thing is a dream that Jonathan is having, I took it as a non-literal story. But then again I remember comic fans who literally argue that the only reason why Superman was able to come back from the dead is because his father had to go into the afterlife and use his Astral-shovel.
When you read that issue when you're six and you sincerely believed that Superman was dead, you sure as hell believe that Pa Kent beat a demon with a shovel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

Clark later mentions to Lois that he remembers that exact thing happening so regardleess of how stupid or non-stupid it is it, it happened.

(Pa Kent doesn't hit a demon with a shovel, he finds demons trying to drag Clark's soul to hell under the guise of Kryptonians and convinces Clark they're fakes.)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Trast posted:

Also they both said this Powergirl is the one from their series, not the Earth-2 Powergirl from New 52.

That's...interesting. Post-Convergence DC is gonna be weird and awesome as hell.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Trast posted:

They were real excited about that. They said they were aiming for the same feel that Powergirl had and Harley Quinn has now. So we're likely going to get a book that is less vapid sex object and more lighthearted cheesecake aka a Palmiotti/Conner book. Conner seemed really happy with the first cover and how it turned out.

Also they were very adamant that DC is leaving them alone to do things however they want with their books which was good to hear. Palmiotti told the fans hanging around that the PG/Harley actually started as an idea that they planted in the current Harley comic and weren't sure if DC was going to let them do it. It actually starts in the current Harley book and you can spot it if you put a little thought into a couple frames of one of the recent issues. I'm really looking forward to getting it.

These are all very good things. To be perfectly honest, their run of Power Girl is one of my favorite comics of all time. It's incredibly well-drawn, funny, and actually has pretty good characterization. Also, it's one of those rare instances that I overlook the cheesecake factor. I can't say exactly what it is - probably some combination of the lighthearted, cartoony, and expressive characters, the sense of humor and irony, the presence of a female writer/author, the characters actually having agency and likeable personalities (Peej is smart, resourceful, and witty - she's rarely the butt of the joke), and, of course, Vartox - it all just works, and I don't really find it sexist at all.

Starfire is an inherently difficult character to write well. There's no way to dance around her sexual traits - she's a voluptuous alien who doesn't wear clothes (a bit sleazy, but reminiscent of exotic Dejah Thoris-type characters of old sci-fi). The problem arises because Starfire, as a character, is supposed to be attractive, but she's not supposed to be an object. She's a very emotional person who makes deep attachments with people (again, risky business, because a lesser writer could make her completely dependent on others). She's foreign and sexually open, but empathetic at a fundamental emotional level. The TV series understood this, although it naturally toned down the sexual aspect. Her being drawn like a Barbie doll in Red Hood was only part of the problem. She'd been drawn in various states of undress in the Wolfman/Perez comics, as well as the follow-ups series, but those never really bothered me, because it seemed like she was still in control of herself. Moreover, she was humanized, connected to her intrinsic emotional nature by her expressions, usually a smile. Weirdly, comics often want to portray women in sexual situations, but don't want them enjoying it. Too often they're distant or alien, like some kind of creepy mannequin at the disposal of men (Lobdell's Starfire). Basically, Starfire should be a sexual character, but good writers need to emphasize her emotional nuances beyond that.

With that tangent out of the way, I hope that Conner brings back Atlee/Terra for the new Power Girl run. Their relationship was one of the highlights of the old series.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Clark later mentions to Lois that he remembers that exact thing happening so regardleess of how stupid or non-stupid it is it, it happened.

(Pa Kent doesn't hit a demon with a shovel, he finds demons trying to drag Clark's soul to hell under the guise of Kryptonians and convinces Clark they're fakes.)

Googling Pa Kent Shovel and Demon turns up like two different pictures of him swinging a shovel. In one it's full on glowy cosmic weapon.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Beefstew posted:

With that tangent out of the way, I hope that Conner brings back Atlee/Terra for the new Power Girl run. Their relationship was one of the highlights of the old series.
Cheers to that. A Palmiotti/Gray/Conner OGPG/Terra/Harley book is exactly what I want.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

That's...interesting. Post-Convergence DC is gonna be weird and awesome as hell.

They let Justice League 3000 do that too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I've actually been rereading some of the original Wolfman/Perez Titans during slow periods at work recently, and yeah, while George certainly takes his opportunity to draw Starfire as this curvaceous, skimpily clad babe, and Wolfman slips in some "What are these things you call... bikinis?" stuff, she's always the one initiating intimacy and enjoying it. Like, Dick Grayson is the one who's all "Whoa, why's this chick making out with me for no reason?" and Kory's basically, "Um, you're hot, sweetie, and it's a free planet?"

And even at that, they work in the stuff about her going with her emotions first, and make sure to emphasise her empathy with her new friends before going into the bloodlust stuff when Deathstroke and Ravager (the original) show up. A lot of her early scenes are dialogue with Donna, doing the 'stranger in a strange land' bit. And her introduction is a tense escape sequence, not a HURRLOOKBEWBS page. (that comes like 4 issues later).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

Googling Pa Kent Shovel and Demon turns up like two different pictures of him swinging a shovel. In one it's full on glowy cosmic weapon.

So have you actually read the issue or are you just using google? The Shovel scene you're thinking of :

isn't from the Death and Return of Superman. It's from Man of Steel #6.

The other one you're thinking of is:

but it isn't him 'killing a demon who was eating Superman' You even see him yelling about how it's a phony there. Scene B is a reference to Scene A. It isn't a 'glowing cosmic weapon' it is it being created out of thin air because Pa Kent is calling back to the time he did the same thing before in real life.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 17, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is now a good time to mention that I've never read Death Of Superman? I've listened to the radio version a few times, though!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Funeral For A Friend was one of the first comics I ever read, because they were part of my dad's collection. I still get emotional reading some of those issues. It really wasn't a bad story.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ImpAtom posted:

So have you actually read the issue or are you just using google? The Shovel scene you're thinking of :

isn't from the Death and Return of Superman. It's from Man of Steel #6.

The other one you're thinking of is:

but it isn't him 'killing a demon who was eating Superman' You even see him yelling about how it's a phony there. Scene B is a reference to Scene A. It isn't a 'glowing cosmic weapon' it is it being created out of thin air because Pa Kent is calling back to the time he did the same thing before in real life.

So his love for his son and past experiences allowed him to forge a pure creation shovel into purgatory to slay demons?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So his love for his son and past experiences allowed him to forge a pure creation shovel into purgatory to slay demons?

No, he just hits the guy and the Superman does all the work. It isn't like Pa Kent went into hell armed with his magic shovel to slay demons.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

No, he just hits the guy and the Superman does all the work. It isn't like Pa Kent went into hell armed with his magic shovel to slay demons.

OK, someone email Gene Yang, I think we have the plot for his first arc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

OK, someone email Gene Yang, I think we have the plot for his first arc.

Sorry, Shovel Knight is already a game.

I would accept a Pa Kent mod for it though.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

I for one see nothing wrong with this logic. :colbert: Pa Kent also kind of sort of meets Lady Eternity, some devil demon guys, AND slays some Cthullu Kryptonian tentacled horrors. Pa Kent is the poo poo he only summoned a shovel because he knew it was gonna be that easy to bury his foes. :smug: Pa Kent is essentially Triple H is what I'm trying to say.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jiro posted:

I for one see nothing wrong with this logic. :colbert: Pa Kent also kind of sort of meets Lady Eternity, some devil demon guys, AND slays some Cthullu Kryptonian tentacled horrors. Pa Kent is the poo poo he only summoned a shovel because he knew it was gonna be that easy to bury his foes. :smug: Pa Kent is essentially Triple H is what I'm trying to say.

So Kevin Costner is playing Thor in the next movie, got it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In Action Comics #692 it is confirmed that Superman actually did die and that his spirit had moved on. Doctor Occult walks him through the events and it ends with him reuniting with the Kents.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Trast posted:

They were real excited about that. They said they were aiming for the same feel that Powergirl had

Yaaaayy

quote:

and Harley Quinn has now.

Booooo

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Terra did come up in conversation but I don't know if she is going to appear in the Harley/Powergirl mini series. I like Terra a lot and would be happy to see her. Yes they confirmed it is a mini series but they certainly were open to it continuing somehow if DC likes the sales.

Some familiar faces will be showing up to though and it is going to be awesome.

As for any misgivings about Starfire as far as Harley goes we will have to see. But I saw a lot of people with full Harley collections that Conner and the rest of the people at the table were very happy to sign. I think if they can get Starfire even half that hyped the book will stick around.

Also I can't stress enough how sweet and friendly Amanda Conner was in person. It was talking to an old friend and she was truly into her work. Actually while I was waiting to speak to her she was signing a stack of books for someone and Palmiotti would walk up to her and hold up a cookie to take a bite of so she didn't mess up her hands or the books. It was adorable. :3:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Trast posted:

Also I can't stress enough how sweet and friendly Amanda Conner was in person. It was talking to an old friend and she was truly into her work. Actually while I was waiting to speak to her she was signing a stack of books for someone and Palmiotti would walk up to her and hold up a cookie to take a bite of so she didn't mess up her hands or the books. It was adorable. :3:
Yeah, she seems really cool and adorable. Seriously, just google a picture of her.
All this nostalgia for her PG run led me to stumble on this image. It's essentially PowerGirl.jpg. Alternatively, Thatsmyfetish.jpg.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I admit I'm willing to give Starfire a try because she isn't meant to be as kooky as Harley and for anyone turned off by cheesecake, Emanuela Lupacchino is on interiors and she's not really a cheesecake person unless it's very intentional.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And well, I wonder what kind of Google search they did to get Buluc Chabtan, it is a pretty obscure deity. I'm an archeologist and I didn't knew of him.

Coincidentally, when I looked the name up after reading the issue, I saw a MK forum where someone started a thread months back of, "Hey, what if Kotal Kahn is literally Buluc Chabtan, the Mayan God of War?"

I'm really digging Kotal Kahn, though. After years of the game's writers deciding that anyone who wants to rule Outworld is a heartless tyrant, they finally introduce someone who is less Darkseid and more Black Adam. He cares about being a good leader and protecting his people, but he'll still gently caress you up if you mess with his kingdom.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gavok posted:

He cares about being a good leader and protecting his people, but he'll still gently caress you up if you mess with his kingdom.

As should any good leader. :colbert:

Darksied is a terrible villian so I'm thankful we have someone less comparable to him.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
The solicit for Section 8 actually makes me less interested, because it sounds like another round of "Garth Ennis shits on superheroes." It's a shame, because I loved Hitman--it was the first comic book I ever collected--but I don't need more Hitman/JLA. If you absolutely need Ennis writing for you, gently caress it...bring back Haunted Tank or something and let him write that.

Also, to hell with all of you for introducing me to The Face. That's got to be one of the worst characters I've ever seen...and at one time I owned every Bloodlines annual.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Heh, it's funny, because the whole horror/war comics thing is exactly how Marvel are using him, with their WW1 fighter ace fights dinosaurs book.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Finally, the time is right for my Robynz pitch, where Robin becomes an urban legend type character that inspires several hip Urban teens to band together under his inspirational banner, to rid their community of street level crimes.

Ricky is the experienced team leader who loves dancing and gymnastics. Battle Style: HipHopoeira.
JZone is the brash one who skateboards. Battle style: Red berzerker
TimmyD is the smartmouth gamer nerd. Battle style: tactical espionage action.
Damien 'Diablo' Diaz is the Hispanic latchkey kiddo, barely in 6th grade but always looking to impress JZone. Battle style: bratitude

And then you have the Twynz, Cass and Steff, the tech-savvy GrrrlPower feminists who keep the crew together.

Robynz. We don't die. We multiply.

It's like you're a psychic. Can you get me next week's lotto numbers as well?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

lotus circle posted:

I admit I'm willing to give Starfire a try because she isn't meant to be as kooky as Harley and for anyone turned off by cheesecake, Emanuela Lupacchino is on interiors and she's not really a cheesecake person unless it's very intentional.

I'm honestly kind of disappointed. Lupacchino's art is fine, but Conner's interiors in Power Girl just had so much personality and life. Oh well. At least she'll be doing the covers.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DoctorDelaware posted:

The solicit for Section 8 actually makes me less interested, because it sounds like another round of "Garth Ennis shits on superheroes." It's a shame, because I loved Hitman--it was the first comic book I ever collected--but I don't need more Hitman/JLA. If you absolutely need Ennis writing for you, gently caress it...bring back Haunted Tank or something and let him write that.

Also, to hell with all of you for introducing me to The Face. That's got to be one of the worst characters I've ever seen...and at one time I owned every Bloodlines annual.

Hitman/JLA is fantastic though, what the hell is wrong with you?

I'm not even gonna touch on the "Ennis keeps making GBS threads on superheroes" thing because a) I don't feel like having another big argument about The Boys and B) he's said more than once that he really just doesn't get superheroes because he grew up on 2000AD instead of DC, so yeah, dude finds them kinda silly and dumb.

He does love Superman though. Like, a ton. loving loooooves Superman.

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012

In a galaxy far, far away...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

Hitman/JLA is fantastic though, what the hell is wrong with you?

I'm not even gonna touch on the "Ennis keeps making GBS threads on superheroes" thing because a) I don't feel like having another big argument about The Boys and B) he's said more than once that he really just doesn't get superheroes because he grew up on 2000AD instead of DC, so yeah, dude finds them kinda silly and dumb.

He does love Superman though. Like, a ton. loving loooooves Superman.

He absolutely loves Superman (Hitman #34 was SO loving GOOD), and Batman...and even throws some appreciation Wonder Woman's way, which is cool. Everyone else in Hitman/JLA, he goes out of his way to make them look like clowns, dicks, or clown dicks. (Granted, he does the same thing in Hitman/Lobo...but c'mon, that's Lobo. You're not supposed to take him serio--)

I'll probably still get Section Eight, because (a) I still really like almost everything I've read from Ennis, and (b) Dog Welder. I'm just apprehensive, is all.

• Locked thread