Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I never minded Molyneux because I assume everyone is lying to me anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

gnarlyhotep posted:

Waiting for Godus

surprised it took this long

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I would kill to read this kind of interview with David Cage.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

gnarlyhotep posted:

Waiting for Godus

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

gnarlyhotep posted:

Waiting for Godus
Godus Will Hunting

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
What if godus one of us?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
guys...i feel like i want to give this infamously incompetent man money. maybe this time will be different?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Zzulu posted:

guys...i feel like i want to give this infamously incompetent man money. maybe this time will be different?

Molyneux Syndrome

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
"When the insurgent's RPG hit my instincts just took over. I was still dazed and blinded but my hands were already snapping photos of the Americans retaliating. I don't know how long I was taking photos for before my senses came back to me. It was shortly after then that my lens landed on a young Iraqi boy. His lower half had been obliterated by the blast of the RPG and it was clear he didn't have much longer to live. I must have taken at least 6 pictures of him before I realized he wasn't crying. In fact he was looking at me as if to ask why? Why was I just sitting there taking pictures instead of helping him. That's when it hit me that I could be doing so much more than just taking pictures of these tragedies. I haven't been able to pick up my camera since then."

"I know how you feel, I had the same epiphany when I reviewed Final Fantasy 13"

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Volume posted:

"When the insurgent's RPG hit my instincts just took over. I was still dazed and blinded but my hands were already snapping photos of the Americans retaliating. I don't know how long I was taking photos for before my senses came back to me. It was shortly after then that my lens landed on a young Iraqi boy. His lower half had been obliterated by the blast of the RPG and it was clear he didn't have much longer to live. I must have taken at least 6 pictures of him before I realized he wasn't crying. In fact he was looking at me as if to ask why? Why was I just sitting there taking pictures instead of helping him. That's when it hit me that I could be doing so much more than just taking pictures of these tragedies. I haven't been able to pick up my camera since then."

____________________________________________________/

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Volume posted:

you are posting on a forum full of queers and malcontents while half the worldis without drinking water

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
black and white sucked.

molyneaux, spector, meier, and wright are all has-beens who stopped making the exact type of games that made them famous because they prob know that their talent has run dry long ago.

actually gaming these days seems pretty lovely across the board from my perspective as an 'ex-gamer', prob due to the industry collectively selling its soul over the past decade to make maximum profits so im sure such a poisonous environment is partially to blame

idk i didnt even read the op or any of this thread really

that pic is at least 5x more faggy than any picture ever taken of Lord British, and at least that guys been to space and doesnt take himself nearly as seriously as u might assume.

actually i kinda doubt there are too many "game design legends" that would even come close to being in decent enough shape to hitch a ride into space.

^rich but still too fat to fly (into space, not even the chinese would allow it no matter how much $$$ was offered)

^ obv wouldnt pass psych exam (and looking like adam lanza wouldnt be working in his favor either)

^ maaaaybe but would very likely be "accidentally" blown out into space and marooned by the other crewmembers

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 17, 2015

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Peter Molynwho? (did somebody already say this)

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Molynwho stole the cookies from the indie jar??

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Game development was just different back then. The fact that they were more simplistic also made it easier for smaller groups to collaborate. It's why so many celebrity developers existed pre 2000s. It was almost the auteur effect, but unlike film where it survived through crews getting more massive and more elaborate in production it just stopped working, now it's just a hosed up relic. None of these people even have the ability to be what the industry wants them to be because the games are made as they've gotten more complex and in-depth and they can't sit on the side of every piece of the game being produced.
Romero and Carmack made a lot of what went into their games personally. But people like Molyneux or Spector now? They sit at the top and make vague design goals and sort of manage the disparate teams. Their input is limited because it's impossible to directly influence the product anymore. It's not like a director who sits in his chair and supervises nearly every element of a film as it's being made.
So yes. These people without fail are utter loving retards whose claims always fall apart because they simply don't have the influence or perspective to know what is within reason or what would be accurate in estimate.
They shouldn't exist, but every project needs a face, the industry needs people to represent the teams making these games but these people are either moron developers with exaggerated claims of control on the product or PR people dredged up from some hellhole only populated with over caffeinated imbeciles who long to wail inane garbage at captive audiences in huge halls who slowly cringe and laugh emptily at the absurd caricature of what they've based their entire lives around.

DO NOT READ THIS EFFORT POST OR YOU WILL BE VISITED BY MOST GHOST WHO WILL SUCK YOUR DICK.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

JebanyPedal posted:

Game development was just different back then. The fact that they were more simplistic also made it easier for smaller groups to collaborate. It's why so many celebrity developers existed pre 2000s. It was almost the auteur effect, but unlike film where it survived through crews getting more massive and more elaborate in production it just stopped working, now it's just a hosed up relic. None of these people even have the ability to be what the industry wants them to be because the games are made as they've gotten more complex and in-depth and they can't sit on the side of every piece of the game being produced.
Romero and Carmack made a lot of what went into their games personally. But people like Molyneux or Spector now? They sit at the top and make vague design goals and sort of manage the disparate teams. Their input is limited because it's impossible to directly influence the product anymore. It's not like a director who sits in his chair and supervises nearly every element of a film as it's being made.
So yes. These people without fail are utter loving retards whose claims always fall apart because they simply don't have the influence or perspective to know what is within reason or what would be accurate in estimate.
They shouldn't exist, but every project needs a face, the industry needs people to represent the teams making these games but these people are either moron developers with exaggerated claims of control on the product or PR people dredged up from some hellhole only populated with over caffeinated imbeciles who long to wail inane garbage at captive audiences in huge halls who slowly cringe and laugh emptily at the absurd caricature of what they've based their entire lives around.

DO NOT READ THIS EFFORT POST OR YOU WILL BE VISITED BY MOST GHOST WHO WILL SUCK YOUR DICK.

I skipped to the end and I want my ghost blowie you fucker

Also people make tiny simplistic games all the time, that's what indie games are, that's what the entire mobile market has to be, people are innovating new and sometimes even good stuff in their garages all the time it's just the relatively tiny slice of AAA titles that are hundred-man multimillion-dollar corporate endeavors and a handful of 'visionary' bad managers who've lost the ability to rein in scope or remember that scripting a little pixel man running around an RPG town doesn't actually make them God creating the universe in seven days

Megalomaniacs happen pretty regularly in any role involving creativity or authority, the only difference is that what's scary and destructive in stockbrokers is just kinda childish and sad in toymakers

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 17, 2015

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

JebanyPedal posted:

do you think that Gathering of Developers (GoD) the closest that gaming ever got to Dogme 95?

do you think The Crimson King is happy? or is he sad?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I skipped to the end and I want my ghost blowie you fucker

Also people make tiny simplistic games all the time, that's what indie games are, that's what the entire mobile market has to be, people are innovating new and sometimes even good stuff in their garages all the time it's just the relatively tiny slice of AAA titles that are hundred-man multimillion-dollar corporate endeavors and a handful of 'visionary' bad managers who've lost the ability to rein in scope or remember that scripting a little pixel man running around an RPG town doesn't actually make them God creating the universe in seven days

Yes, but unlike Doom or Ultima these people aren't making the games that are changing the face of the industry and leading it. Their impact is minimal comparably. It's a sign that games are slowly down in innovation and complexity, but it also reflects how they were made.
Molyneux made incredible games that were lauded and well known in the Bullfrog days. Spector worked on Deus Ex and a collection of other games at Origin and Looking Glass, like Thief, which help set in stone the formula for modern stealth games along with MGS, and System Shock, which was for the time an incredibly involved FPS more similar to the story based stuff we have now.
Sid Meier helmed one of the most accessible 4X games ever made that helped popularize strategy games in the 90s.
Back then they were intimately involved in these products. Now their name is just a stamp and their interviews little more than hype.
The only real comparable thing I can think of is Minecraft and the whole explore, craft, survive genre that it sprouted, but unlike those other developers Notch is never going to follow up on what seems more likely to have been a happy accident.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mariana Horchata posted:

do you think that Gathering of Developers (GoD) the closest that gaming ever got to Dogme 95?

do you think The Crimson King is happy? or is he sad?

GoD was the most hilariously loving stupid result of the celebrity developer trend.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

lookin for that ghost bj

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

my only real experience with thief was a demo disc, where 12? year old me was amazed that a man in a video game would be drunk.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

JebanyPedal posted:

Yes, but unlike Doom or Ultima these people aren't making the games that are changing the face of the industry and leading it. Their impact is minimal comparably. It's a sign that games are slowly down in innovation and complexity, but it also reflects how they were made.
Molyneux made incredible games that were lauded and well known in the Bullfrog days. Spector worked on Deus Ex and a collection of other games at Origin and Looking Glass, like Thief, which help set in stone the formula for modern stealth games along with MGS, and System Shock, which was for the time an incredibly involved FPS more similar to the story based stuff we have now.
Sid Meier helmed one of the most accessible 4X games ever made that helped popularize strategy games in the 90s.
Back then they were intimately involved in these products. Now their name is just a stamp and their interviews little more than hype.
The only real comparable thing I can think of is Minecraft and the whole explore, craft, survive genre that it sprouted, but unlike those other developers Notch is never going to follow up on what seems more likely to have been a happy accident.

IDK man just looking at the Steam top sellers right now I'm seeing stuff like Terraria, Kerbal Space Program, and DayZ and while I don't know that any of those are exactly record-setting masterpieces they're all pretty simple under the hood, all but IIRC Terraria were originally made for nothing by some schmo, based on mechanics and genres of gameplay that didn't really exist five years ago, and have already inspired scores of lovely copycats each.

Will they be the next Doom, IDK, there was really only one Doom, but they've already made a bigger impact than say Syndicate or Pirates! did at the time, and are pretty well rivalling Deus Ex as far as actual changes to the face of the industry go. For every breakout success there's at least a couple of inventive things that made a brief splash and then became cult phenomena like most of the games those guys are known for (FTL, Frozen Synapse, Braid, Sword of the Stars, Red Faction, Papers Please), and about a hundred thousand braindead me-too knockoffs that innovate nothing, but uuuuh your parents ever buy you one of those "1000 Games!" compilation CDs in the 90s?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You're still talking about this hack's Kickstarter? Start talking about good ones, like the RCR sequel.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

What's RCR and does it relate to clownishly lazy "pixel" art in 2015, bc I think I can think of one reason to not talk about it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

IDK man just looking at the Steam top sellers right now I'm seeing stuff like Terraria, Kerbal Space Program, and DayZ and while I don't know that any of those are exactly record-setting masterpieces they're all pretty simple under the hood, all but IIRC Terraria were originally made for nothing by some schmo, based on mechanics and genres of gameplay that didn't really exist five years ago, and have already inspired scores of lovely copycats each.

Will they be the next Doom, IDK, there was really only one Doom, but they've already made a bigger impact than say Syndicate or Pirates! did at the time, and are pretty well rivalling Deus Ex as far as actual changes to the face of the industry go. For every breakout success there's at least a couple of inventive things that made a brief splash and then became cult phenomena like most of the games those guys are known for (FTL, Frozen Synapse, Braid, Sword of the Stars, Red Faction, Papers Please), and about a hundred thousand braindead me-too knockoffs that innovate nothing, but uuuuh your parents ever buy you one of those "1000 Games!" compilation CDs in the 90s?

The primary difference is that these games are not the cutting edge, Doom, Ultima Underworld, the first four Ultimas, System Shock, hell, even Warcraft, were cutting edge. Doom was a technical marvel at the time and solidified what FPS games were and how they played to a degree that none had before, it was the first actual, fully realized manifestation of a genre, but was also a visual and technical revolution. Ultima Underworld was one of the first games to ever offer completely three dimensional degrees of movement and offer environments that took advantage of that, System Shock took that to the next level and created levels that Doom and its ilk could only imagine, not even the Build engine games later on had the level of detail System Shock did, these titles were the first of their kind.
Ultima, and Wizardry and Might & Magic essentially are the blueprints for modern RPGs, and not only did they inspire those, but they created systems that managed to transfer PnP games in a playable format to the PC, which is something tons of developers were struggling with at the time. The endless hordes of jRPGs and garbage cRPGs you play these days? Their entire combat systems, morality systems, and character development systems were lifted wholesale from those games. They are STILL just more complex variations of age old mechanics.
Warcraft was one of the first ever, if not THE first ever strategy game to offer network play.
Look at it this way, before Warcraft, the sensation of knowing that your opponent was out there, and was busy building an army to destroy you in the fog of war, did not exist. It was alien, the only close thing was were action games but they didn't offer that intrinsic part of what games like Starcraft 2 and League of Legends now use to massive degrees to shape their gameplay around.

These games didn't just define their genres, they set technical milestones, wowed everyone, and were the AAA games of their time, and they were made in dusty rented out offices by small little groups of dweebs who learned how to program as kids and were now completely revolutionizing an industry both with gameplay innovation and technical milestones.

Games like Terraria or Kerbal don't really do that, they provide unique play experiences that plenty games have tried to ape, but the games I just detailed weren't simply influential because of the clones they sprouted out, they were influential because a small group of people managed to completely change the industry with their creation, and that's the reason why these big names are still around, despite being obsolete, they created this industry and basically every single technical and gameplay innovation that even the games you listed are still branching off of, but they're just not relevant anymore and they just can't make the impact they used to make, large-scale, on the small scale that allowed them their celebrity.

That's the point I'm trying to make.
These days, some indie dev overpromises, most people know he's bullshitting, or know that his products is going to be a small, albeit fun, maybe genre innovating title, but it's not going to be like "HOLY poo poo DID YOU SEE WHAT THE GUYS AT ID DID WITH THIS GAME QUAKE?" while John Carmack walks out and slam dunks release day copy of Quake into the ground and says "gently caress YOU ALL."

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

What's RCR and does it relate to clownishly lazy "pixel" art in 2015, bc I think I can think of one reason to not talk about it

yeah, there are two things that could be called RCR and only one is cool, and it should not be sequeled.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

JebanyPedal posted:

The primary difference is that these games are not the cutting edge, Doom, Ultima Underworld, the first four Ultimas, System Shock, hell, even Warcraft, were cutting edge. Doom was a technical marvel at the time and solidified what FPS games were and how they played to a degree that none had before, it was the first actual, fully realized manifestation of a genre, but was also a visual and technical revolution. Ultima Underworld was one of the first games to ever offer completely three dimensional degrees of movement and offer environments that took advantage of that, System Shock took that to the next level and created levels that Doom and its ilk could only imagine, not even the Build engine games later on had the level of detail System Shock did, these titles were the first of their kind.
Ultima, and Wizardry and Might & Magic essentially are the blueprints for modern RPGs, and not only did they inspire those, but they created systems that managed to transfer PnP games in a playable format to the PC, which is something tons of developers were struggling with at the time. The endless hordes of jRPGs and garbage cRPGs you play these days? Their entire combat systems, morality systems, and character development systems were lifted wholesale from those games. They are STILL just more complex variations of age old mechanics.
Warcraft was one of the first ever, if not THE first ever strategy game to offer network play.
Look at it this way, before Warcraft, the sensation of knowing that your opponent was out there, and was busy building an army to destroy you in the fog of war, did not exist. It was alien, the only close thing was were action games but they didn't offer that intrinsic part of what games like Starcraft 2 and League of Legends now use to massive degrees to shape their gameplay around.

These games didn't just define their genres, they set technical milestones, wowed everyone, and were the AAA games of their time, and they were made in dusty rented out offices by small little groups of dweebs who learned how to program as kids and were now completely revolutionizing an industry both with gameplay innovation and technical milestones.

Games like Terraria or Kerbal don't really do that, they provide unique play experiences that plenty games have tried to ape, but the games I just detailed weren't simply influential because of the clones they sprouted out, they were influential because a small group of people managed to completely change the industry with their creation, and that's the reason why these big names are still around, despite being obsolete, they created this industry and basically every single technical and gameplay innovation that even the games you listed are still branching off of, but they're just not relevant anymore and they just can't make the impact they used to make, large-scale, on the small scale that allowed them their celebrity.

These days, some indie dev overpromises, most people know he's bullshitting, or know that his products is going to be a small, albeit fun, maybe genre innovating title, but it's not going to be like "HOLY poo poo DID YOU SEE WHAT THE GUYS AT ID DID WITH THIS GAME QUAKE?" while John Carmack walks out and slam dunks release day copy of Quake into the ground and says "gently caress YOU ALL."

:golfclap:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ok lol you just wrote a whole buttload of words to explain how 90s incremental improvements to established genres like the FPS are somehow philosophically different and better than 2010 incremental upgrades to unestablished genres because people copied things like 3d maps so I'ma dip

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 17, 2015

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

The Order 1886 is actually going to change the shooters as we know it, and on a console no less

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

JebanyPedal posted:

that's the best part about Peter, repeatedly he's promised what would have been an influential, genre changing game idea and failed, pretending it just isn't feasible, then some indie comes along and does it with a team of one or two starving programmers and it just works

go on, pick any gameplay mechanic he dropped and i bet we can find it in some other game where it makes more sense and is done better

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
lol at the idea that any game could be any more funny and fun than BL2

paging carehard games posters, please come tell me I'm wrong

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JebanyPedal posted:

it was a golden age we'll never see again because producing the modern marvel you're describing would cost nine figures these days. twenty years ago you could do it by renting some cheap office space in bumfuck nowhere and making some hillbilly's day, getting together a team of a dozen determined nerdy motherfuckers with embarrassing 90s mullets, and a modern rig for each of them. these days, the only thing that affords you is ps2-quality graphics at best, but more likely something simpler because you'll probably actually be able to finish that before the money runs out

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

fanged wang posted:

i found the op useful and informative and following the links was a solid hour of low grade entertainment that i received financial compensation during also distracting me from the inevitability of death thank you op

That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me this week

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

SnowblindFatal posted:

advertisement

advertisement

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gnarlyhotep posted:

lol at the idea that any game could be any more funny and fun than BL2

paging carehard games posters, please come tell me I'm wrong
"don't have a cow, man" -bret sampson, homestuck

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

JebanyPedal posted:

GoD was the most hilariously loving stupid result of the celebrity developer trend.

Ion Storm is pretty up there.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
the only thing I know about molyneaux is when I played Black and White my cow kept eating people so I would slap it to make it stop but apparently this made it eat more people so it was this vicious cycle of me beating the poo poo out of this cow

thanks for the memories peter

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
god bad cow dad

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
i had an evil emaciated tiger that i kept feeding its own poo poo

then i stopped playing it after mission 3 because it was repetitive crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

these days you either innovate on the technical front and then everything else is ultraconservative

or you go the indy route and try something different which is not technically impressive though

just like the movie industry

• Locked thread