Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Linda Mills
Hot -1; Cold 1; Volatile -1; Dark 2
Harm 0/4; Exp 3/5(1) Conditions: Drained, Nosy, Bossy

For a brief, horrible moment, I think Maggie is dead. Like really, actually dead. I feel the thing inside me stir again, and this time it's angrier than it had ever been -- something cold and dark slides over my heart, and I just wanted to... grow. Grow until I'm big enough to rage and roar and smash everything until I find the imposter Maggie-thing. Find it and make it suffer so horribly that no one ever hurts anything belonging to me again. But then the vision-Maggie moves, and the feeling abruptly passes. It doesn't really go away entirely -- it just kind of... sinks back down for now. The Maggie-thing will still need to pay of course, but it's less immediately important than getting to the real Maggie is.

...Getting to her before she gets Anne arrested. Well, poo poo. Can't anyone get along with anyone for five loving minutes? Am I just going to have to get, like... a giant one of those creepy "getalong shirts" and stuff them all into it until Maria and Anne and Maggie stop trying to kill each other? Ugh. I let the handful of gross leaves fall to the ground, and set off toward the place the vision had shown me at a run. I pull my phone back out of my pocket, and hurried start to hammer out a text to Anne without breaking pace.

Conversation With Anne posted:

Me: Anne it's Linda Maggie is telling the cops your a killer
Me: Don't get arrested just a heads up
Me: Weird poo poo at party need to talk later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Maria
You sit next to Maggie waiting for ambulance to arrive, and stare out into the darkness. You and Maggie are at school, she asks you to put the hit on Anne, and then she spins away, dancing with River and denying your claims. You watch them dance for a moment, as the beat of the music grows louder until you turn and see Maggie pounding on your window, yelling and pointing into the darkness. As you follow her finger, Maggie runs out of the dark and the two start to dance, until the Frozen Maggie pulls on the dress of the Faerie Maggie, and it shatters. You can see the break this time, as the area around Maggie cracks and breaks, each piece simultaneously a scrap of the costume and a shard of mirror at the same time. The reflected pieces rain from the sky down onto Maggie, blocking your view of the face of the other Maggie with bits of reflection. But through the pieces, you can see bits of the face, and then a single long glimpse of an eye. Maggie's eye. But the rest of the face wasn't hers.

And then, out of the darkness someone else runs, but it isn't Maggie, or someone else with her eyes. It's Linda.

Linda
By the time you round the corner you know Maggie and Maria are behind, Anne hasn't replied yet, but that isn't surprising if she's in the middle of a fight. When you see the two of them, you have a brief moment of relief, the cops aren't there yet, you still have time. The relief doesn't last long though, as you can see the flashing blue and red lights coming down the road towards the three of you. What do you do?

Zoe
The image of the fireball is burned into your vision, and by the time you've managed to blink the afterimages clear, you aren't sure quite where it was anymore. But as you look through the binoculars again, you find your vision drawn to a specific spot. It's hard to make out at first, but after staring, you're sure that you can see Matt half walking, have being carried to his car by Anne, and then they drive off, heading not towards his or Anne's house, but what you feel unusually sure of is going to be yours.

Before you can pull out your phone and ask either of them what the heck is going on, you feel your sight drawn again, this time upwards towards the moon. The light seems to be pouring in through the bay window in a thick beam, and as you gaze into the radiance, which seems surprisingly fluorescent for moonlight, you hear a voice curt and clipped like a bored secretaries, speaking. "Care for him as best you can. This is a turning point in his life."

As the light fades, you can hear the crunch of gravel as a car pulls up in front of your trailer. How long did that vision take! What do you do?

Matt
Anne is walking you up to the door of Zoe's trailer. You can barely recall anything after getting in the car, the whole thing is a blur. You can't even remember if you or Anne was the one to drive. Anne you hope, considering you still feel rather shaky, and your hands ache from holding onto the red hot metal. Now that you're here, are you sure this is a good idea? Should you go to a hospital for these burns or something? Plus most dads aren't going to be pleased with their daughters boyfriend (boyfriend?!) showing up on their doorstep in the middle of the night. What do you do?

Jamie
Running helps warm you up. A little. You're just getting towards the edge of the abandoned section of town when you trip over something laying in the darkness of the road. When you, its a body. Torn and bloody, but still recognizable as a ...former... student of your school. They were at the party, and there isn't any sign of an attacker around here. Whose body is it? Their costume has a few rips and blood stains on it, but it's thick and warm. Are you tempted?

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Linda Mills

"Fucker's going to pay for this." It was the first thing out of my mouth when I saw Maggie lying there on the ground -- seeing it in real life was worse than just seeing it in the vision. I drop to the ground, and grab Maggie's hand. I'm not a doctor -- I have no idea what to do here, I just want to give her some kind of comfort. "Don't move, okay, Mag?" I say to her. There was a lot of blood. "The cops are over there, they'll help." I hope so, at least. I look up, and make eye contact with Maria.

"It was too dark, we didn't get a good look at who did it," I tell her. "They had a knife, and ran off somewhere that way." With my free hand, I point very deliberately away from the direction Maggie pointed in the dream. "We start telling them about weird poo poo like doppelgangers or whatever the gently caress that was, this is going to get a lot worse than a few questions."

I am spending a string to offer Maria an experience point if she tries to sell the cops on this story.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca.
Hot: 1x Cold: 1 Volatile: 0x Dark: -1
Harm 1/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Weak, Terrified, On Notice.

The vision falls apart around her. Great. Visions, Zombies, Doppelgängers All she needs now is a fire breathing dragon to swoop down on her and the fantasy would be complete. Still the vision or whatever the hell it was showed her something important. Whatever had made the Doppelgänger such a good copy was linked to it's clothes. Something about the eye she'd seen nagged at her as well but she couldn't piece together what it meant. Maybe the way it looked so similar was a metaphor or whatever you call it for how the Doppelgänger was nearly alike but there were differences if you knew what to look for. Yeah that made sense.

She tenses at a sound from a nearby corner. Is that the other Maggie come back to finish the job? She gets ready to fight, this time she's not going to be paralysed and see someone get hurt because she's soft. She's almost disappointed when Linda runs round the corner. She was ready for something supernatural, not her rival. Still she's grateful for any help she gets. Maria hears Linda swear under her breath as she kneels to examine Maggie. Unfortunately it seems Linda has no better idea of First Aid than she does. Still Linda looks at her across Maggie's body.

Linda's suggestion is not bad. Maria takes some small comfort though in not being the only one to be fooled by the Doppelgänger. That said it would've been simpler if she'd just cracked and none of ths stuff was real and the police could pack her off to a nice padded cell. Then she wouldn't have to worry about poo poo from a bad horror film. A cop car pulls up lights blazing and two police officers scan the area. Not far behind an Ambulance pulls up and two paramedics pile out of the back and run over to Maggie and quickly begin treating her. Maria watches as one of the cops, the overweight one pulls his fat rear end out of the cop car and walks over to where the two of them are squatting.

He towers over them. His attempt at looking intimidating left somewhat flat by the sight of his beer belly hanging over his belt. He glares down at the two girls and asks officiously "Do either of you want to tell me what happened?" Maria resists the opportunity to tell him what she thinks of Salvation's finest for now and decides to stick to Linda's story. "It all happened so fast, some junkie just loomed out of the shadows, and he must've had a knife or something 'cause she went down bleeding. Then the junkie must've seen me coming because he ran off that way somewhere" Maria waves in a random direction.

Lying to a Cop (Manip): 2d6+1 13

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Hot 1 | Cold 2 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5

Jesus gently caress. Aileen?

Torn up. Almost as bad as Maggie. It's hard to watch. Holy poo poo. How bad is this night going to get?

I kinda give in at this point. My knees come down and I just throw up all the punch and food left in me. I can't take this. I can't.

...It feels cold again. Cold and lonely. I'm not gonna get far if I keep going rear end naked like this. On the other hand, stealing from a dead body?

Ugh. gently caress it, she's not going to complain.

Sorry, Aileen. But Jamie needs to disappear again for a bit. I'll make sure someone finds you, though.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz
Hot +2, Cold +2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
DARKEST SELF | Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Colossal Dweeb, Drained

I'm standing outside Zoe's front door, about to knock. It's 2am, Anne is watching me but she's VERY DEFINITELY not saying anything, and also I'm like 100% sure I need the hospital.

But... I made a promise. That'd I'd be there, if things were bad or she needed me. I did kinda have a bunch of really nice wine before I said it, but I meant it. And, well, I just got death-hugged by a flaming man, then I hit him with a crowbar a bunch and he promised to kill me (again?) so... I need to make sure. That she's safe. or, at least, aware that dating me might mean someone will suffer a fiery death. (and that i might sprout feathers and scales too) I can explain the burns and stuff... I'm not sure how much she knows about what Anne gets up to. So I'll think of something. I'll go to hospital later. If she asks.

As for her dad, well, I'm not in much of a mood for giving a poo poo about what dads think. I'll bullshit something. That something happened at the party and I came to make sure everything was okay.

I knock, but carefully, trying to put "I don't wanna wake you up but this is important" into it. If that's possible.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
Hot: -1, Cold: 1, Volatile: 1, Trespass/Forgiveness: 0/0
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Drained
----

GodFish posted:

"Care for him as best you can. This is a turning point in his life."

Care for him...? He was just in an EXPLOSION! Why is he coming HERE?! (Also why was he THERE in the first place??)

And I don't even have time to really think that before he IS here.

I throw my coat on over my Winnie the Pooh nightshirt and flannel pants, stick my feet in some boots and open the door. Before Matt can say anything I shush him with one finger over my mouth and chase him off the porch, closing the front door behind me as quiet as I can. There is NO WAY he's coming in the house until we TALK.

Before I can stop her, Anne takes off with the car.

I stare at it as it heads out onto the road in front of the house. Then I look at Matt. He's... singed. And his hands are all red and look like they hurt a lot, and it doesn't look like he even cares at all.

"Ohhhhhkay." I say, slowly. It's cold and I pull my arms back into my coatsleeves. "What... what happened? I saw the fireball from HERE... Are you alright?"

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

Aaaaand Anne jacked my car. loving hell. Well, guess I'm crashing here tonight. If Zoe will let me. Also, uh, Zoe's in her pyjamas. Don't think about that.

"Um. I'm okay." I look around, feeling like I'm a mile away. "So... how much do you know about... what Anne does? In her spare time? Because, uh, turns out it's all true. There was a dude made of fire. He did the explosion - no, actually, Anne did when she threw a gas tank at a bunch of zombies. I hit him with a crowbar. And he threatened to kill my family."

I look back at Zoe and blink.

"Too much? Er, I should have started from the beginning, I think." I look over her shoulder through the front window, and can vaguely see her dad asleep on the sofa. Oh god, it's like having Godzilla next door. "Do you want me to just tell you what happened, or do you want the whole thing? Like, backstory... stuff."

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 9, 2015

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
----

"There's back-story stuff...?" I shuffle my feet a little in the cold and look uncomfortable. "Is it as crazy as the rest of what you just told me because It's 2am and it's cold and my Dad is going to kill us and you need something for those burns..."

I reach out and take his hand so I can see them. Long straight red marks, like he'd been holding onto a piece of hot metal. Like a crowbar. More than anything else, that kinda made it all sink in. Made it real.

"Hey Matt? Before you get into the rest of it... I need to know. Why'd you go back to the party?" I take a breath. I don't want the next part to sound like an accusation, because it's not. I just want to understand. "And why'd you come back here instead of going home? You feel... different. What happened?"

Our shadows are long in the moonlight. I know my cheeks are red from the cold. I'm scared but I'm not going to shut him out or run away. If the messenger sent him to me, it was because I was the right person- the right angel- for the job.

At least I hope so. :ohdear:

---
Turn on Matt, using Forgiveness from Halo: 2d6= 9! You know the drill.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

She's holding my hands.

"I... I don't know why I went back." Am I shivering? It's cold out, dummy. Is it that? "I, you made me feel amazing, like, like nobody ever did, and I was all 'gently caress the police, I'm the greatest' so I went back. That's about it."

I look down at my burnt hands. Red angry streaks. She's looking at me like I'm crazy. Maybe I am?

"I..." This is hard. I can't tell her the truth about me. I can't. It'd ruin everything. But... I hate it. I hate hiding it! I don't know what I should do! How do people even talk to each other? How the gently caress do we stand here and not make idiots out of ourselves?

"I went back, looking for Anne, see if she needed a lift back too." I'm not shaking because of the cold anymore. "She, she wasn't at the party, so I went looking and, she was fighting these things, and I ran to help, the flaming guy grabbed me..."

Why can't I stop?

"I could smell myself burning I thought I was dead I thought I'd never see you or Anne or dad ever again that was it dead in an alley because I made a stupid decision I'm so sorry"

I'm crying, why? Why can't I stop? I throw my arms around her, I'm shaking, she's there, she's real, I'm not dead, I'm alive!

Matt gives himself to Zoe.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 9, 2015

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
----

It's not the kind of hug you give your girlfriend, not really. It's the kind of hug you give your best friend when you thought you were never going to see them again. As hugs go it's a little too tight, and the burning smell on his clothes and hair is making me wrinkle my nose, but I get it. I get being scared and thinking you're dying, anyway. I'm shorter than he is so all I can really do is link my arms around his back and let him cry it out.

When he's down to sniffles I pull back a little and sit down on the porch step. "I don't actually, know what Anne does in her spare time." I say, which is the truth. "She's always kept this wall up between us, like she's protecting me from something. Kinda aggravating to be honest. I'm not some delicate flower who can't handle the truth about things."

It's not like zombies being real is a surprise for me. One of an angel's most important duties is to fight the things humans don't think are real. But I can't really tell Matt that...

Can I?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

I sit down next to her.

"She... she does, kinda. Well, I never asked. I just assumed she got into fights all the time." I rub the back of my hand. "You know, there were all these rumors that she was crazy, talking about monsters and stuff. I didn't think they were true, until... well."

Awkward pause.

"So I guess that's what's up with her."

"I'm not some delicate flower who can't handle the truth about things." Oh. Um... can I? Let's.. let's try...

"Has... has anything weird happened to you? Like... anything you couldn't explain to anybody? Something you had to keep to yourself?"

Wow. Subtle.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
----

My heart starts pounding really loud. Did he... know something? Or was this about HIM?

"Everyone has secrets Matt."

I don't want to give mine up yet. I'm not ready. So it's only fair if I let him keep his.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

Oh.

"Yeah... You're right." I smile and shrug. "Guess I've been watching too much superhero crap. Not everyone's the chosen one, huh?"

Yeah, some schmucks get a crazy snake monster for a dad. I don't even know what my role is. Maybe to get impaled for laughs. I doubt I make it to season two.

"Thanks... for being there. When I needed you. I'm probably not doing this... boyfriend? ...thing right, huh? Here, let me -"

I turn and give Zoe another hug. A better, less desperate one this time. Softer. Better suited for girlfriends (?!).

Turn Zoe On:
21:52:00 TheDeleter: !r 2d6+2
21:52:01 Krysmbot: TheDeleter, 12+2 = 14

Matt takes a string on Zoe.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
Hot: -1, Cold: 1, Volatile: 1, Trespass/Forgiveness: -1/1
----

So... yeah. THAT was a hug.

"Alright..." Time to think about how to pull this off. "I've got an air mattress in my closet and Dad leaves for work at like six in the morning so as long as you stay quiet and I lock my door you're probably safe. Don't do anything cute like try to sneak into my bed or you're sleeping in the shed. Got it?"

It doesn't really sound like a threat, and I hope I don't have to enforce it. Sneaking a boy into my room is bad enough, messing around while Dad's like five feet away on the couch is just UN-POSSIBLE.

I open the door and wave him in. We're lucky enough to time everything to Dad's snoring and I toss Matt a lacey bed pillow and go get the burn cream while he takes care of the filling the mattress. I also remember to snag an old shirt of Dad's that he won't notice is missing so he doesn't have to sleep in singed Sub-Zero gear.

(A bit later)

"Night Matt."

----

Sneaking Matt into my room and locking the door to cover for him, gaining a Forgiveness point.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

"Night, Zoe."

Man, I've had a hell of a night. I sure don't want to blow it with Zoe to top it off. I'm staying on this air mattress.

Night, world. Hope tomorrow is better.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 13, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Jamie
Once you get the clothes on, you start to feel a bit better, the heat slowly creeping back into your body. The body, on the other hand, is quickly losing what little warmth remained in it. You probably don't want to hang around here.

Are you trying to pass as Aileen, or do you just want the clothes? Your new outfit is a bit torn and has some blood splatters, but you've yet to see anyone out on the street tonight aside from Maggie and Maria, and will those even show up if your passing, do you know? Where are you off too then, Aileen's house, your house, or somewhere else?

Maria
The cop takes down everything you say, nodding several times throughout your story. "That happens all too often here these days. You're just lucky he didn't attack you when you showed up as well, most junkies that get that low won't run no matter how many people there are." He asks for your contact information, then moves you over towards Linda to address the two of you at once.

Linda
From her position on the ground, Maggie gives you a look that might have been suspicious as you arrive and start taking charge, but she nods weakly, agreeing to go along with your story, at least for now. Just before the paramedics reach the two of you, she gives your hand a tight squeeze and stares right into your eyes, "Figure this out, please."

Once they arrive, the medics separate the two of you, gently but firmly, and start to load her up into the ambulance and begin treating her. A moment later, Maria and a fat cop move over towards you to address you both as a pair.

Maria and Linda
The rest of the night is a blur, more questions, contact information for you and Maggie, statements taken. The cops might be a bit rubbish here in Salvation, but they do spend an awful lot of time at being rubbish. When they've finally finished up, you both feel as if you managed to sell the story of the junkie convincingly enough. When they finished it was even later at night and you were both dead tired, but Maggie was just waking up in the hospital from the anesthesia they put her under for her worst cuts and could be visited. What did you do with the rest of the night?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5

The blood will still show. It's blood, I guess. But Aileen's costume comes in a few layers, and the blood doesn't seep on the outer layers. I can twist around the costume a bit to make it look less obvious for now.

I'm not sure where I want to go. I certainly don't want to go home. Maggie's probably going straight to the emergency room and everyone at home will head to the hospital at the first word of it. I need a place to crash for now. Just loving rest for forget this poo poo for a moment.

I think I remember the way to Aileen's house. We did a school project in her place once. gently caress, she's really dead. Holy poo poo. I was just talking to her the other day and, and....

Ugh.

Maybe if I imagine her face for a bit. Then walk like she usually does. Maybe fix my hair a bit. There. That should work. She's not dead. She's walking home right now. Yes, I'm walking home.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca.
Hot: 1x Cold: 1 Volatile: 0x Dark: -1
Harm 1/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Weak, Terrified, On Notice.

The perfect end to a perfect evening. Trapped in a tight little room in an empty hospital office with Salvations finest idiots looming over you. Tonight's just been one big disaster after another. By the time she's extracted herself from the cops it's late and she's dog-tired. Still as she's slumped in a chair in the waiting area one of the nurses puts his head around the door and waves over her and Linda. He tells the both of them that Maggie's just come round from the anaesthetic and that she can see visitors now. The only thing Maria really wants to see is her own bed. But what harm can checking in on Maggie for a few minutes do?

Stepping into the room Maggie still looks terrible, pale and washed out and still kind of out of it. But obviously in better condition than she was when she was brought in. Which is a relief. I mean Maggie may have put her in line for a bit of a beating but it probably wasn't intentional and besides Maria doesn't want to hold a grudge after something like this. Not when she has bigger fish to fry. Compared to doppelgängers and zombies running around a beating is nothing. She can handle a beating. The rest well... that'll take time, nobodies gonna ruin her night like that again if she has anything to say about it. She moves closer to Maggie who still seems a little high from the drugs because she gives Maria a weak smile and thanks her for her help. Still it is nice to be appreciated. She says a few words to Maggie which she's not sure she takes in before most of the Chang family charges through the door and she makes herself scarce.

Turning to Linda on the way out she says through her exhaustion "Thanks for your help tonight." and then dials for a taxi to take her home. She can retrieve the car in the morning.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Linda Mills

I was hoping to get a few minutes alone with Maggie, to explain some of this poo poo to her. But of course not -- her parents are there now. Of course the Changs know me -- I've been their daughter's best friend for years. But it was clear that they wanted some time alone with her, and so once Maria leaves, and after some profuse but abbreviated thanks on their part, I am asked politely to leave. And so I do. I've got a creepy shape-stealer thing to find, anyway.

... but that can probably wait until after I make a phone call. I walk through the hospital's sterile white hallway, in the vague direction of their cafeteria. Taking a deep, preparatory breath, pull out my phone, and I dial my home number. I was going to have some explaining to do to mom about why exactly I was still out at this hour.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 1, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Salvation, WV: Saturday, November 1st, Morning
Session Two

Dawn is early on this crisp morning, heralding the start of a new month. The frost coating the windows and grass starts to melt almost as soon as the sunlight begins to rise over the horizon to bathe Salvation in it's feeble warmth. It was a late night for everyone, and ordinarily for a Saturday morning after a party, this would be a time to sleep in, and no doubt your fellow students are, but for various reasons, you're getting up with the sun today.

JamieAileen
You forced yourself up early this morning, but why haven't you left yet? What visions were haunting what little sleep you did get? When you arrived at her house last night, you weren't greeted by angry or worried parents, but what did you run into that caught you by surprise?

What is the prevalent smell as you sit in the dead, no, live and kicking, Aileen's room, looking down at your phone reveals a swarm of missed calls and texts about Maggie in the hospital and 'Where Are You'? Have you talked to your real Mom and Dad yet, and what story did you or will you give them? Time is ticking on though, and you should probably get out of here before someone else finds the body.

Maria Lose the Condition Terrified
The cab got you home fine, but your Father wasn't too happy when he found out you got tangled up with the cops. He seemed to be pleased when you told him how you handled it though. Did you tell him about any of the more supernatural events of the night? Speaking of those, when you woke up this morning, has your opinion on those incidents changed at all? Zombies or methheads, doppelgangers or impersonators.

Less mystical bullshit issues are also creeping back into your mind, your call is still parked in that alley, and there is Amy's behavior last night to deal with. Do you think it was just the drink talking? Who are you calling up to help deal with your troubles?

Zoe Lose the Condition Drained
You might have tried to sleep in later, but after the close call with Dad this morning, you're nerves have been a little too high for comfort. What happened?

He left a few minutes ago for more work, he's been stuck working overtime on weekends for awhile now, which doesn't help with any feelings of guilt you might be having. But moving on from that, you've got a hungry nerd not-boyfriend in your room, and the only thing he has to wear are the fairly burnt remains of what he had last night, enough for decency but not much else, and to top it off his car is still gone. Clothing issues aside, you probably aren't going to be able to let Matt keep on staying here overnight, what are you going to do?

Matt Lose the Condition Drained
You wake up feeling a lot better than you should considering what you went through last night, didn't get chased out of the trailer by Zoe's dad with a shotgun, and things are looking up. You're clothes might be mostly burnt off and your phone a melted piece of trash laying in some alley, but you have someone else's, now with a few missed messages on it. Have you figured out who it belonged to yet? Do you care?

Are you still resolved to leave your old life behind? Dad is on the other side of town, offering an easy out from the problems of zombies, burning men, no clothes, no phone, no money. But what he did, or didn't do, or didn't say, about last night. And you haven't forgotten that ...smell.. you could feel coming from his office. Are you going to try to talk Zoe into letting you stay with her? What do you do?

Linda Lose the Condition Drained
How did get yourself off the hook with your Mom last night, or did you, and what punishment have you been set with, excepted explanation or not? What did you do after the call ended, but before you got home?

The day might still be young, but you've got things to do with it. Maggie's family has probably gone to sleep by now, so you might be able to get that talk in with her that you wanted. There are other potential leads you might work with too, River spent a lot of time with the fake Maggie, but if he isn't in on it, it might take some work to convince him of what happened, and as far as you know the only people to see both the Maggies aside from you were Anne and Maria, and only Maria might have seen them at the same time, maybe she saw something that might help tracking them down. Those aren't the only options either, what are your plans, and what do you do?

Anne Lose the Condition Vulnerable
Where are you now, this bright and frosty morning? Where did you go after you left Matt, and since you couldn't exactly leave it right there without Zoe's dad smelling a rat, or snake as it may be in this case, so what did you do with his car?

It's the weekend, so you don't have to worry about school or anything, and depressingly, Dad probably won't think twice about you being out all day, so what are your plans? After the encounter last night you've got several directions you could take for your supernatural issues, Matt's Dad seems to know something, now that you've had a direct encounter with the Burning Man you might be able to research him a bit better, the zombies were different from the usual dead men you've seen, and they had to come from somewhere.

All the monster troubles seem pretty important, but there are other things you might want to deal with, should you check up on Matt and Zoe, see if anyone else you know got hurt last night at the party, or is something else on your mind?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz
DARKEST SELF | Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Colossal Dweeb

I'm sitting up in bed. The sun's just coming in through the window. It's just enough to see by.

The phone is off one of the dead kids. The texts are from a "John," asking a "Jeanine" to meet up someplace. The last one's just "where r u?" They were from before the party tonight. I don't know a Jeanine. Was she a student here? Did she come to the party? Did... was she always dead, or did the zombies get her? Where's John now? I don't know. I think if I keep thinking about it I'm gonna go crazy.

At least I'm not dead. I'm here, in Zoe's house, and I'm a bit burnt but I'm okay, and I'm in Zoe's house oh my god. I never thought this would happen, ever. And I... I can't stay here. It's not possible. It's small enough as is, and I don't think Zoe likes me that much, and I'd just be taking up space and food and time and... I'm just getting in the way. I'll have to go back to Dad. The Dad who kept me ignorant about the monsters and the things I could do, who sacrifices animals because of a dumb tradition. The dad with the money and clothes and bed.

I'm no good at being a human, and I'm just as bad at being a Quetzel. I don't know what I should do with myself. I wish I could tell Zoe. At least Anne knows. That's something, right?

I hope Anne brings my car back. It's a long walk home.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca.
Hot: 1 Cold: 1 Volatile: 0 Dark: -1
Harm 1/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Weak, On Notice.

Her dad had totally freaked. She could see the cogs working. People made the mistake of thinking her dad was dumb because of what he did and maybe he was. He didn't read fine literature or have a favourite opera or an excellent grasp of history. But when she told him that she'd been nearly mugged by a junkie and a friend of hers had been hurt and that she'd had to talk to the police. She'd seen that flash of anger. Maria was not that much of an idiot she knew how her dad made his money and well quite frankly she wouldn't like to be a junkie in Salvation for the next few weeks. She just hoped that it wouldn't go so far that the police would be dredging dead bodies out of the river. She wanted to remind him why they'd moved here to keep his head down. That she was a big girl and could look after herself. But it was pointless he wouldn't listen to her. He never listened to her.

Hell she hoped it was just a random druggie. I mean in the cold rational light of day Zombies and Doppelgänger's didn't exist did they? If she even mentioned them to someone else they'd think she was totally gaga. Maybe the punch had been spiked maybe just maybe she'd had some sort of hallucination. There had to be a reasonable explanation right. She'd go into school on Monday and everyone would be talking about how high they'd got at the party and be laughing about it.

Still she needs to go pick up her dad's car. She can't leave it parked up for the weekend. Unfortunately the only person she knows with a car is Amy and judging by her performance last night, She'll have a hangover from hell. Amy should lay off the booze if when she's that drunk she hits on anyone and anything. Hell Maria certainly didn't swing that way. Not that there was anything wrong with that sort of thing. I mean it's even kind of flattering in a way. But the answer is still no. Still chances are Amy doesn't even remember any of it. She figures she'll give Amy a few hours to come round from her hangover then dial her for a ride out to her car. She'll have to give it a good clean and no doubt the dents in the bumper will come out of her allowance. But once that's done she's going to have see about convincing her friends to get some weapons. She's not going up against zombies Meth heads and Doppelgänger's crazy impersonators with just her bare fists again if she can help it.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Anne Andrews
Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile 3 | Dark -1
Harm 1/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Broken Rib, Shut Out, Peeping Tom
The sunrise peeps through the trees startling me awake. Trees? There aren't any trees outside my window. I panic for second and then remember I slept in Matt's car down by the park. Didn't want to go home and face Dad with a car, didn't want to dump the car and risk it getting stolen. I didn't get a lot of sleep. It was cold in the car and I lost my jacket doing something stupid last night. Lucky for me Matt had a blanket in the trunk. I feel like I've got a mild sunburn all over, I'm groggy from no sleep and my clothes are pretty badly torn up. Gotta get moving though, before someone comes banging on the window and I have to explain why I'm sleeping in someone else's car without even a license. Figuring out my first stop isn't hard - giving Matt his car back. His phone is dead, so I text Zoe:

Text to Zoe posted:

hey babe wassup? cray scene lst nit, you k? matt still @ yrs? nd to give his car back lol

And while I've got my phone out:

Text to Linda posted:

ruok? poo poo got intens hd to run, talk l8r?

Text to Jamie posted:

were you @party last night? home safe?

While I wait for the responses I think about what I'm going to do. What I'm going to tell Zoe. I figure it's probably time to be honest with her, get her on board. Not that I want her or Matt in harms way, but leaving her in the dark isn't going to help anything. And if everything goes well with those two, I'm going to head down to the library and do a little extracurricular research. There's something wrong with this town, beyond unemployment and drugs and despair, and I need to know what. Maybe someone has looked before.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 24, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Aileen Young
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5

I don't get much sleep. My mind still swims with awful images when I wake up, as I gasp for breath. My hands full of glass shards, cutting skin and bone while I painlessly scream. Reflections of Maggie bleeding on the street, Linda overlooking me with steam and fire, Maria drawing the knife on my back. My own self, naked and alone, laying on a pool of blood. Staring at myself with cold eyes. Just like Aileen.

Aileen... ugh, yeah, right. Reality. Get up.

I shake myself awake, groping my surroundings. Okay, this feels solid. This is Aileen's bed. I crashed on it a few hours ago. Her parents greeted me when I came in her house. They asked me if I had fun at the party. I don't remember what I said. I do remember their doberman barking at me like crazy, though. Aileen's dad chained him up when he almost tried to bite me. He smells something wrong, I know. Maybe he smells blood on the costume or just the person underneath the clothes

Either way, I can't stay here for long. I stand up, taking in the aroma of scented candle in my bathroom. Apparently, Aileen's mom lights one on each bathroom every night. It does make feel a bit better, even as I go through the awkward motions of reading the messages on phone. God, I still can't believe last night actually happened.

I don't really have an excuse for my family right now. So I reply to Anne instead.

Text to Anne posted:

Uh, yeah, I was. Things got really weird, though.
Not at home, though. Long story, really long story. Can we meet up?

I do this, while I check out Aileen's closet. I slept with the costume on, apparently. And um, I don't think she'll mind me borrowing things from her.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions:
----

It was the dumbest thing. He usually just leaves for work without bothering me but I guess last night I'd gotten home late enough to set off the Dad alarm. He knocked on my bedroom door before he left. "You get home OK kiddo?"

I SWEAR I locked the bedroom door, but I guess I didn't because it opened a crack.

I managed to yell "Daaad!" which got him to close it before he spotted the nerd on the air mattress. Saved by teen girl outrage. "Yeah, I'm fine. Matt gave me a ride home." I tried to calm down. "Thanks for the pizza it was good."

"Leftovers in the fridge, should be back around dinnertime."

"Alright, I'll make something tonight."

He left and I collapsed on the bed when I heard his truck struggling to turn over outside. "Too close." I groaned. Matt was still busy drooling on my spare pillow. I don't think he even noticed.

So the much more reasonable hour of nine-thirty rolled around when I got up for real and started making toast and eggs. Matt followed me out of the room like he wasn't sure what to do with himself. I got a text from Anne:

text from Anne posted:

hey babe wassup? cray scene lst nit, you k? matt still @ yrs? nd to give his car back lol

Thank GOD.

text to Anne posted:

ya crazy is right. car plz, need to get nerd-boy outta here before dad finds out.

text to Anne posted:

he's freaking bout last nite, u ok? saw the GIANT FIRE from here D:

I dropped a plate of scrambled eggs in front of Matt and started eating. "Anne should be back with the car in a little bit. Um, not sure what I can do about clothes, Dad's old t-shirts are fine but I think you're stuck with those pants. Guess we could hit the mall if you really don't want to go home."

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca.

A few hours later.

"Hey Amy, feeling any better?" Maria said into her phone. "Yeah I bet you were pretty wasted last night." She goes on "Listen I need a favour I had to ditch my dad's car at the party last night. Can I get a ride out there to go pick it up? Great see you then." Maria threw on a ratty old t-shirt and a pair of slacks it's not like she was going anywhere special after all.

Not long after Amy's car pulled up James crammed into the back as usual. Weirdly Maria could feel a hangover building. Odd that it had just come on now. She'd barely drunk anything last night after all and she wasn't that much of a lightweight. Jimmy seemed really nervous about something though it didn't seem to show on his face. She could still tell. She slid into the front seat next to Amy who seemed to be squinting in the bright autumn sunshine. Hell the sunshine was making her squint as well now. As much to distract herself from the sudden hangover as anything else she filled James and Amy in on what had happened. "Wait so you're telling me Maggie was attacked by an identical twin." she asked. "Nah, Maggie has a twin, what's his name uh the little nerd with the glasses. hit him up with help with those algebra problems a couple of weeks ago." Maria's obviously struggling for the name when James pipes up "Jaime." Maria smiles "Jaime that's it. Anyway he's nothing like her. So unless they're triplets there's gotta be some other explanation for it." James smiles in the back "Triplets having a twin sister is bad enough." Amy laughs "Hey, if you want to get out and walk your welcome. otherwise pipe down." The usual argument between those two at least some things never change.

Before too long they're back at the party. Maria half expected the place to be swarming with cops. After all Maggie was attacked and she did kinda hit that zom- druggie with a car. But the area is deserted not a single cop to be found anywhere. Still at least the car's still there. She gives it a quick once over. The bumper has a dent in it which she frowns glumly she'll have to pay for out of her allowance and the interior smells of stale sick which she'll have to clean out. But otherwise it could've been worse after being parked overnight in a rough area. She climbs into the car and tries not to gag too much at the smell. Pulling out she turns and heads in the direction of home.

It's not long before the car is parked up on the driveway. She'll have to give it a good wash before she gives the car back to her dad and explain about the bumper. Another boring chore. Amy and James step out of their car behind her. Amy grins at her as she sees the frown "Relax, it won't take that long to clean. Look I'll even stay and give you a hand. It's my sick after all." Maria blinks it's nice of her with another person the job will be done in half the time. Amy turns to her brother "Can you drop the car back home? mom will need it for the shopping." He gives Amy one of those usually inscrutable twin looks although oddly enough this time she can read him like a book and he seems to be saying to Amy "don't embarrass yourself" what does she even have to be embarrassed about? Maria wonders.

They break out the buckets of soapy water and Maria gets the hosepipe going to clean the outside of the car. Halfway through though an errant jet of water from the hose soaks her to the skin causing her t-shirt to stick to her chest. Maria splutters with how cold the water is. But Amy's stood there with kind of a dazed look on her face. Maria's sure she heard her say "that T-shirt looks really good on you," Maria says out loud. "It's just an old one I've had for years." Amy shakes her head "I didn't say anything." she replies back louder this time. Weird is she hearing voices now. Again a voice that sounds a lot like Amy's "It shows off everything." Maria turns "Yeah it is kind of tight on me I should really get rid of it. But my first boyfriend bought it for me so it has kinda sentimental value." Amy frowns back at her "I definitely didn't say anything this time." Okay things are getting totally odd now. She swings round to stare at Amy "okay, this is getting a little weird. What's she looking at me like that for. Okay Amy try not to look at her chest don't look." It's Amy's voice definitely but her lips aren't moving. Okay Maria's really starting to freak out now. she must be going crazy hearing voices out of thin air. Maybe that's what happened at the party last night she cracked and now she's hearing and seeing things that aren't there. What the hell is going on?

Wet T-shirt competition (turn on): 2d6+1 8 give me a string/give me what she thinks I want/ gives herself to me.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

Eggs! Food! Yesss. I get to eating. Man, I'm starving. I guess beating up fire monsters takes it out of you. And Anne's coming back with the car! Great news. This day is coming up Matt already.

"Um, thanks. That'd be good." I hope her dad doesn't notice missing t-shirts. That'd be awkward. Also, I really don't want to take up her hospitality more than I need to. I look up at her. "But I'd like to hang out more, sure. Um, maybe if I get back home, I can change up and meet you there? Sound good?"

I have another mouthful of egg. "Hopefully Dad doesn't ask weird questions or anything. He's, like, turbo-embarrassing. You saw him last night, right? Man, he's always like that. It's weird."

I don't know if I want to get into an argument with Dad. If I just... go in, get changed, get out, I can spend the day with Zoe or Anne or something. Yeah, that sounds nice. Then I won't have to think about monsters or family history or anything like that. I can just chill with my friends. That'd be nice.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Anne
Messages come back quickly from both Zoe and Jamie, and they both seem to want you in person. They both sound a bit urgent as well. You were planning on making giving Matt his car back your first stop, but having one might help for meeting up with Jamie if he ended up somewhere far away. If you got him first would you try to get him in to help with your research as well? How do you reply to them, and what do you do?

JamieAileen
No reply back from Anne yet as you search through the closet. She has a lot of the stuff you see her wearing around school, a lot of thick puffer jackets that look like they'd be excellent for the current chill. What do you find at the very back, hidden behind the jackets, that catches you completely by surprise? What do you put on, and what do you do now?

Zoe
Once you finish eating, you head into Dad's room to find some clothes for Matt. While you're digging through his shirt drawer, what do you find that you wish you hadn't?

Matt
What do you do after you finish eating while Zoe is looking for some clothes for you, and what catches your eye around the place while you wait? You knew Zoe's family wasn't well off before, but how does seeing the difference in wealth between your two families so directly now make you feel?

Maria
The two of you both seem to be trying to ignore whatever weirdness is going on as you turn back to the car, but before you get much further, you pick up something again. You aren't hearing a voice this time, but instead your heart is starting to beat faster, and you can feel your face getting flushed, and for some reason your face, and wet T-shirt keep floating across your mind. No matter how hard you try to think of anything else, you can't shake it off. As it goes on, you start hearing Amy's voice again, in an undertone now, just repeating "Don't think about Maria. Don't think about Maria." over and over again. When you look at her again though, the words continue, but she isn't talking still, instead she's staring determinedly at a patch of sick on the car, but she's just as flushed as you feel. What the hell is going on? What do you do?

Take a string on Amy

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Anne Andrews
Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile 3 | Dark -1
Harm 1/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Broken Rib, Shut Out, Peeping Tom

txtfrmJamie posted:

Uh, yeah, I was. Things got really weird, though.
Not at home, though. Long story, really long story. Can we meet up?

Well, Jamie's OK at least. Sounds a little rattled, I guess I better meet up with him first. Then I can drag him along to join my...monster hunting squad meeting, I guess. No-one needs to know what he does, but I need all the help I can get.

txt2Jamie posted:

yah np, got a car 4 the mrnin. where u @? i ned breakfast, u?

Oh man if he spent the night with River while I was sleeping in Matt's stupid car I am going to...high five him, probably. That would make things super awkward with his sister though. Probably why he needs a lift.

Speaking of people who spent the night together:

txtfrmZoe posted:

he's freaking bout last nite, u ok? saw the GIANT FIRE from here D:

Ahahahaha you impossibly cute dorks. Good to know that being a crazy snake dude hasn't changed Matt that much. The giant fire could be a problem though, at least if the cops do their freaking jobs for a change. That would be just my luck.

txt2Zoe posted:

im fine, tell u all about it l8r. got 2 run an errand on teh way. cu soon

Don't want to talk about it on the phone too much. Maybe the police can read texts we send? I dunno, its the sort of thing that happens on CSI.

First things first, I gotta get a new jacket. I can swing by Mia's Diner and pick up the one I left there the last time I had a shift. She's less likely to ask questions about my night than Dad would be. Then I can go meet Jamie. So...driving. I did it last night, I can do it this morning. Probably better, without all that adrenaline and crazy juice fogging up my brain. Clutch goes in, gear lever goes here, press accell- whoa, easy there! Alright, doing fine. Ten and two. Ten and two. Ten and two

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

I just wander around. Well, where I'm allowed to, at any rate. Which, seeing as this place is so small, is mostly the living room. Going into either of their rooms is a no-no, and I don't think Zoe'd appreciate me using the hot water for a shower. Guess I'm gonna stink it up for a bit longer.

There's a picture on a shelf that catches my eye. I stand on tip-toe to get a look. It's a photo - Zoe, looking younger than now, with what I think are her mom and dad. They're on holiday somewhere, sun shining. She's smiling.

I look around at the trailer. Cheap furniture. There'd been an old computer in her room. I'd slept on an air matress. I'm so much better off than her, and that's not fair. How can she be happy in a place like this? She deserves better. Yeah, that's it! I can help her out. Her problem is cash, and I've got it, so I can solve her problems! Let's start with...

I'm doing some mental math when Zoe returns with a t-shirt that is probably a size too big, but whatever. I smile and nod at the picture. "Hey. That's your mom there, right?" Small talk's coming easier now I've got my poo poo together.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Aileen Young
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5

Breakfast sounds good.

I text Anne to meet me in one of the three gas stops that still operate in Salvation. That should be several minutes away from this house if I jog. Then I add:

Text to Anne posted:

Uh, I had to borrow someone else's clothes so you might not recognize me at first.
Will explain later. I'll shout and wave if I see you.

I try not to send anything over the phone that could incriminate me later on. Hopefully that's enough for Anne to go by. God, she probably thought I was at River's house, not all the way here. Kind of not ready to, um, hit the bong with him just yet.

You know, I'm surprised that Aileen's closet actually has stuff that isn't embarrassingly nerdy. Behind the rack of puffer jackets, I find this set of very chic clothes hanging at the far back, straight out of last month's Vogue. The adorable winter coat catches my eye the most, fur-lined leather with matching boots. Why doesn't she wear more stuff like this to school? Didn't. Sorry, gently caress. It sucks I have to find out about her like this, when it's too late.

I discover a bunch of handwritten letters in the coat's pocket. I'm curious, but I don't have much time to read them. I pocket them for myself, then wear one of the puffer jackets and a scarf over some casual clothes. I pack the chic clothes inside an duffel bag I find on the side, along with some other outfit I find interesting. I feel bad, but I don't think Aileen's going to miss them much. And it isn't stealing if I'm also Aileen, right?

Hopefully I can sneak out of here without her parents (or that dog) noticing me.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca.

She feels attracted to herself? That made no sense. It's Amy's voice she's hearing. Is Amy doing this to her? Why though would Amy do that? What is happening to her? What is happening to them. Amy looks as flushed and disturbed as she is. "Amy? are you feeling ok?" Maria asks with some concern. Amy seems distracted and determined to look anywhere but at her. "I-I'm fine." she gulps. "I just-- Let's get this finished."

They work in silence for a few minutes. Although the swirling confusion of Maria's emotions doesn't seem to let up. Experimentally she turns and looks Amy squarely in the eyes "Amy do you think I'm attractive?" Amy stiffens and briefly gawps at her as she tries to think of something to say But the other voice the one she can barely hear gibbers in panic. "oh god, she knows, she can't know but she knows." "Ok Amy think, dammit, think. If you say yes she'll know for sure if you say no then you blow your chance. you have to---"
Maria's heart races but her brain races faster, is it Amy's thoughts that's she's reading. somehow. But that's impossible psychic powers aren't real are they. A traitorous voice in her head, this one thankfully not sounding like anyone else "no more real than zombies or doppelgänger's"
Amy says something to her. "I'm sorry what was that?" Maria asks "I was distracted for a minute." Amy frowns in concentration "I said why did you want to know." The confusion or whatever it was coming from Amy seems to have died down a bit.

Now it's Maria's turn to lie. "uhh no real reason it's just last night, none of the guys seemed all that into me and I wondered if that was why." She doesn't hear any more words thankfully, still she can feel Amy's outrage at the thought. But there's something else mixed in there.
Amy is attracted to her. poo poo. She doesn't swing that way and up until now she'd never realised Amy did. That explains the drunken behaviour last night at least and the funny looks Jimmy's been giving his sister he must know or at least suspect.

Amy practically glares "Boys! too dumb to recognise a pretty girl when they see one and your costume was amazing." Amy turns to her "Maria I have something---" but she is interrupted "So is the car done yet?" Maria's dad stands on the doorstep. She breathes a quiet sigh of relief. She's never been more grateful to see her dad she turns to him and smiles "Nearly, we won't be long." Oddly enough whatever her psychic power is it doesn't work with her dad for which she's thankful. Still he looks impatient for something and kind of tense she doesn't need any brain mojo to tell that. She needs an excuse to get out of here though. She turns to both her dad and Amy and says "excuse me for a moment." and pushes her way into the house and heads straight for the bathroom.

Sitting in the bathroom she stares blankly into the mirror. She's gonna have to find a way to let Amy down gently but how...

How do I let her down gently? (gaze): 2d6-1 11 Asking how do I turn Amy down without alienating her? and taking the visions are lucid and
detailed; the visions show you what you must do, and you carry 1 forward to doing it

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Linda Mills
Harm 0/4; Exp 3/5(1) Conditions: Nosy, Bossy

'Off the hook?' For what? Going to a party my parents knew I was going to? Having my friend go to the hospital? I didn't exactly sneak out -- she saw me in my costume when I borrowed her car. I had absolutely no reason to expect a punishment, or any kind of chewing out when I dialed that number. Concern, obviously -- maybe mom telling me what a good friend I was, staying with Maggie until the ambulance arrived and waiting at the hospital until I knew she was alright. I mean, someone was bound to appreciate a single thing I did last night at some point instead of insulting me and ditching me and taking me for granted, right?

But no. Apparently, mom was not aware that it would be 'that sort of party!' I should never have gone if I 'knew there would be violence'. How could I not know? She knows about those teen Halloween fight parties! She watches the news! But she wanted to give me the benefit of the doubt, and trust me, and now look what--

I'll spare you the rest. Suffice to say, though, words were exchanged. Heated words. Words which, on my end, mean that my parents have more or less rescinded my car-borrowing privileges for the foreseeable future. Which is ridiculous, obviously, but who am I to argue with my benevolent, caring adoptive parents, and why no the way they remind me that I'm adopted when they're mad is not at all creepy and weird. either way, though, my revenge is going to be a little bit hindered by my lack of any sort of transportation. I mean, it's not like I can exactly grow wings or anything.

I'm in the middle of preparing my morning pot of tea for the day when I first notice the text message. Goddammit, who knows how long ago Anne sent that, but I swear the stupid thing didn't even buzz. I'm drinking low-end gunpowder this morning -- low-end, because I feel like I need that harsh, bitter aftertaste to maintain my edge after last night's setbacks. I set my phone's timer ap, and fire off a reply:

Conversation with Anne: posted:

Anne: ruok? poo poo got intens hd to run, talk l8r?
Me: I'm fine. Maggie got hurt bad though. Not a zombie some kind of weird evil twin.
Me: That face stealing motherfucker is going to regret that. I'll keep you posted before I do anything.
Me: Transportation is complicated today. When/where would you like to talk?

As the timer runs out, I pull the strainer out of my favorite bone China pot, and pour myself a cup of slightly murky, green tea. I leave the cup alone for now, though, and focus my attention on the tangle of spindly green leaves now practically exploding out of the strainer. I glare down at them, and mutter under my breath:

"Okay, evil fairy twin -- where are you?"

Gaze Into the Abyss to find out where to find Jamie Maggie's doppelganger: 2d6+2=7
I'll take "confusing and alarming", please.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
----

It felt weird going through Dad's stuff. I mean, not his shirts. I fold those most of the time anyway. But being in here when he didn't know felt sneaky and kind of wrong. I dug for the bottom of the drawer, grabbed an old blue shirt with 'Built Ford Tough' on it, and...

Something fell out when I pick up the shirt.

A fat green roll of cash held together with a rubber band.

I picked it up off the floor. What the hell? Those weren't singles and fives. I counted it. Almost two thousand dollars. I'd never seen that much money in one place in my whole life. Where did this come from? What was it FOR? I slipped it back into the bottom of the drawer. It shouldn't bother me that Dad was saving up for something but... it did. It really did.

I headed back into the living room and handed the shirt to Matt. It was probably a size too big but it'd work for now. I was almost too distracted to hear him when he pointed to the picture.

The Deleter posted:

"Hey. That's your mom there, right?"

"Oh, yeah it is." I said, nodding. "That's Jamestown. Mom was really big into history stuff. We made candles and they fired the cannons at sundown and everything."

Mom was really good at finding stuff we could do that didn't cost a lot. Museums, historical sites, plain old camping and swimming. You could have a lot of fun with a little bit if you tried. Dad... didn't really go anywhere anymore. It'd been a long time since we went on vacation. Somehow I didn't think that was going to change.

"Anne said she might be a while still. Want to go for a hike?" There wasn't much to do in my house but our property was pretty neat, maybe Matt would stop looking around like he wasn't sure what he was allowed to sit on if I took him outside.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

"Uh, sure! Sounds fun." Sounds way better than being cooped up in here. I take the new t-shirt and get my own off -

Wait. The hell am I doing? I just totally blanked there, because no way in any context would I take my shirt off in front of Zoe (well maybe not any but you know what I mean jeez). I mean, I'm not bad-looking (thanks, magic snake genes or whatever), but, uh... yeah. I give an embarrassed glance at her, the frazzled old ninja costume in one hand and the new t-shirt in the other.

"Woops. Sorry. Let me -" I turn away and dump the burnt costume bits to put the clean t-shirt on. It's a size too big, but it's better than nothing.

Turn Zoe On:
13:09 WorkDel !r 2d6+2
13:09 Krysmbot WorkDel, 8+2 = 10

Matt gets a string on Zoe.

There. now I'm decent. Quick, uh, smooth it over. "Let's go."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Anne
More texts come in as you drive to Mia's diner. Its Linda this time, and now you have one more person to meet up with today, things are getting busy for you, huh? The roads are still mostly quiet this morning, though a lot of police seem to be out, you end up passing several cars heading in various directions on your way there. One of them is parked outside the diner when you pull in, one cop sitting in the car sipping on a coffee, the other you see talking to Mia inside. Why aren't you worried about this? What do you do?

Jamie
Once you get downstairs to the short hallway you can hear Aileen's mother and father talking and eating breakfast in the kitchen across from the entrance, and can see the bulldog laying down on a rug near the door. You can vaguely remember there being a backdoor past the kitchen. How do you try to get out?

Maria
As you stare blankly into the mirror thinking about the problem with Amy, your slightly sweaty reflection stares back at you frowning, and then, suddenly the mirror shimmers and your reflection vanishes. Instead, you can see Amy and Jimmy having a loud argument in what you think is the livingroom of their house. The sound carries through the mirror, sounding muted and somewhat a bit off, as though being heard from a long way, but clearly audible. "I told you before, you're going to ruin everything if you keep on like this! You don't even know if she's into girls!" "What are you talking about? Besides she said I looked good last night!" "That was just a normal compliment, you're making us both look like fools!" The argument continues for a while, eventually simmering down, ending with Amy agreeing with the last line from Jimmy, "Then just stop beating around the bush then and tell her how you feel when you aren't drunk, or at least ask her if she swings that way, and if she doesn't, Drop. It."

From what you've seen of her this morning, Amy doesn't seem able to bring herself to ask either of those two questions, but from what you know about her relationship with her brother if you let her down gently, or convince her you aren't interested in girls, you're pretty sure she'll let the matter lie.

Linda
Looking at the mass of tea leaves, you take a deep breath, inhaling the bitter scent of the herbs and the essence of the tea itself. Your visit spins for a moment, and then you can see a figure running away from where a figure in shining armor stands over a bleeding body on the ground, illuminated by the lights of a car. Though you can't make out the face, the figure is in tattered clothes.

Now it stands in front of a rundown storefront you recognize, leaning over another body bleeding on the ground. It leans down over another body, reaching out to peel off the face, placing it over its own like a mask.

It approaches a dark residential block and enters one of the houses to sleep. Just after the sun rises, it heads out again, and runs down the street. Now the sun,higher in the sky, nearly noon, shines down on the figure, shrouded in what looks like a coat made of thousands of shards of mirror, reflecting the light across the gas station it waits at.

The vision fades in the blinding light of the figure, and you end up staring at the tea again. The clock downstairs chimes the hour softly, 10 o'clock.

Matt and Zoe let me know if you want a prompt

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca.

Maria starts back to life. At least this vision was slightly less bizarre than the last one she had. So Amy was definitely attracted to her. Which is kind of strange. Maria had started to think of Amy as more of a sister than a friend but she sees her own face starting to blush. She'd never thought of any girl like that, and certainly not Amy. I mean yeah she was attractive and Maria occasionally caught herself feeling jealous of how attractive her friend was but that was it. She just wasn't into girls and certainly she didn't want to ruin a perfectly good friendship by just blurting it out to Amy's face.

That just left one other option. She needed to find a guy and fast and make it clear to Amy that she was 100% heterosexual. Shouldn't be too hard. Half the attractive guys in the school were sniffing around her last night. She could have any one of them she wanted if she put her mind to it right?

But before she worried about her relationships she had bigger fish to fry. There was still some crazy doppelgänger out there and those zombie things. Next time she fought a zombie she wanted a proper weapon to defend herself. Getting guns would be difficult, and she couldn't exactly ask her dad to buy them for her and her friends. Still maybe the other guys will know where they can at least score some knives or baseball bats or something and hadn't Mike said something about his grandma knowing all the old tales about Salvation?

She steps back outside to find Amy's finished with the car and thankfully the confusing knot of emotions she'd felt from her seemed to have receded a little for which she's thankful. Her dad's already climbing into the car and heading off to do whatever mysterious errand he happens to have.

Amy shrugs at her and asks "So what now?" Maria thinks for a moment weapons are definitely the way to go. But she needs a little local knowledge. Amy probably won't know anyone who sells that sort of thing but Mike and Jimmy might. They need to get together and meet.. She pulls out her phone and thumbs off a text to mike and Jimmy. "Mt us at lib goin shoppin for sme gud stuff." She turns to Amy and says "Let's get moving then, I'd like to get this done today if we can. We need to score some serious firepower. Fists alone aren't gonna cut it in this fight." Amy looks as if she wants to object but doesn't say anything. Still Maria knows she's always been uncomfortable with violence sadly this time they're all gonna have to learn after all who knows when the zombies would come back.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
----

I blushed a little when Matt decided to strip halfway in front of me. Somehow I thought he'd be like, really pasty and scrawny but he wasn't so much. Pasty, ok sure. But he wasn't quite the mega-super-skinny nerd I thought he would be.

"Come on then." I said. "If we're lucky the deer will be out."

It was pretty warm for October, I pulled a hoodie on over my t-shirt and led the way. There's a couple good trails through the property, I picked the one that went by the little creek once you got a football field or so back in.

We don't have a lot of money and we don't have a big house but one thing we do have is land. It's mostly woods and a little bit of swamp on the south corner. I took a deep breath and let it out slow. "Nice out, huh?" I said. Discussing the weather. Real cool Zoe.

I didn't say much else till we got to the creek. It's only a couple feet deep and it's clear this time of year. I could see the fish hanging out under the surface and there were still dragonflies buzzing across it. There's a split log bench Dad made from a fallen tree at the end of the path and I sat down to take a little breather. "I like to bring homework out here, and books and stuff." I said, leaning back and looking up at the sky. Overcast but not like it was gonna rain or anything.

I looked over at Matt, trying to decide if this was boring him or not. "Whatcha thinkin' about?" I asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

I'm too busy being dazzled by everything to hear Zoe the first time. It's wonderful down here. I was never close to nature much, except for the parrot. Most I saw of stuff like this was maybe when I was a really little kid, on holidays. The fish in the creek, the insects, the weather... It's perfect. She's always had this down here?

"It's awesome down here, Zoe!" I move and sit next to her, still dazzled. "I never get to see anything like this... Wow."

Then I parse what she's actually asking me. I look over at her, and I don't know what to say. That I'm a snake person? That I feel like I'm awful at everything? That my dad might be sacrificing things to the sun? That I think she's completely awesome? I can't do any of that. She'd laugh at me, or push me away. Especially number one and number three. Anne would get that, she fights monsters. But Zoe's just... normal. If I told her anything, I'd just hurt her. What can I say that doesn't make me look like a useless sack of poo poo, or out me as a loving monster?

Well, there's...

"I, uh, I just wanted to say thanks. For helping me out. And, you know, putting up with my useless rear end." I look over the creek again. "I really appreciate it. And I owe you one, big time. If you ever need me to do anything, you can ask."

I put my hand in hers.

"How often do the deer come down here? I'd like to see one..."

• Locked thread