Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

jng2058 posted:

I've lost track, what are our Corruption and Insanity levels right now?

Insanity: 27
Corruption: 14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I don't want Ohone to ever actually work for the baddies. Late-career Eisenhorn is pretty much my line in the sand, in terms of how crazy I'm willing to get: fundamentally loyal to the Empire but more than wiling to bend the rules if we think it serves the Emperor.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

JT Jag posted:

I don't want Ohone to ever actually work for the baddies. Late-career Eisenhorn is pretty much my line in the sand, in terms of how crazy I'm willing to get: fundamentally loyal to the Empire but more than wiling to bend the rules if we think it serves the Emperor.

I personally expect we'll be more Dark Age of Technology/AI whatevers as opposed to joining the forces of Chaos. Ohone has shown that belief in the Imperium/Omnissiah/Family are hugely, hugely important to her

Alberto Gonzalez
Apr 28, 2008
Jumpin' on the bandwagon.
A, bridge

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

LowellDND posted:

I personally expect we'll be more Dark Age of Technology/AI whatevers as opposed to joining the forces of Chaos. Ohone has shown that belief in the Imperium/Omnissiah/Family are hugely, hugely important to her

for now....

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Are there any rules/books that deal with a middle road, where you realize that both the Imperium and Chaos are basically evil factions and you go out on your own, or hang out with the Eldar, or something like that? Perhaps some of those human Tau colonies could use a tech priest? :P

Alberto Gonzalez
Apr 28, 2008

Oasx posted:

Are there any rules/books that deal with a middle road, where you realize that both the Imperium and Chaos are basically evil factions and you go out on your own, or hang out with the Eldar, or something like that? Perhaps some of those human Tau colonies could use a tech priest? :P

Heretic spotted. Get the flamers.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Oasx posted:

All roads lead to Falling, eventually :D

The philosophy Eisenhorn (the book series had) was you start as Puritan, hunting Radicals who've gone too far. And then you become Radical, but you're still trying to do the right thing. And then you are hella radical, and Puritans start hunting you.

edit: Im dropping some plot bunnies for Eldar interaction if I need them later, but I haven't done much with Tau as of yet.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Oasx posted:

Rogue Trader. Which is more or less what we're playing now, actually. Technically we're a Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader hybrid with a smidge of Only War for the Guard stuff.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Oasx posted:

TAU???

Ew.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
We already have blue skin, we might as well go all the way, for the greater good :colbert:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I keep trying to add to this, but I think this post is done as is

In the Year of Our Lord

quote:

Launched Apr 21 18,495 AD
Mars Shipyards
The Olympus

You thought you had been holding it together pretty well until you saw that.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Oasx posted:

We already have blue skin, we might as well go all the way, for the greater good :colbert:

Those filthy savages are tainted by the Eldar. Also they haven't even figured out warp travel. Do you want to be stuck for generations in a ship taking a journey to the next world in your system?

LowellDND posted:

I keep trying to add to this, but I think this post is done as is

In the Year of Our Lord

You thought you had been holding it together pretty well until you saw that.

I like to think Ohone just started drooling after seeing that

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 19, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The Long March of Gears

When you were very young, you visited one of the most sacred Cathedrals on your world. It was old, old, and magnificent. Thousands of servitors sang every hour of every day, incense and candles lit everything in a flickering fog, and at the center of it all - an STC fragment. It described, in painstaking detail, how to make ‘a tuning fork’, for a device described as a piano. No one really knew what a ‘piano’ was, but many Magi had dedicated their lives to finding out.

This ship was about eighty centuries older than that.

It took you a moment to realize you were making small animal noises. Tanya was looking at you concernedly. The part of your mind that was still coherent was flabbergasted that your retinue weren’t on their knees in obeisance. Oh. They were still waiting for you to translate it. They had found this little plaque in a side alcove, and asked if you could read it.

Your mechadendrites were making little grabby motions. Hands. Your hands were making grabby motions.

Your voice was a croak. “I’m fine.” Were you crying? “This ship… this ship is from the Dark Age of Technology.” Tanya, Matthas, everyone made the signs of the Cog. Part of your brain nodded approvingly. It was important to show respect to the Machine-Spirits. And this. This was like meeting the Omnissiah, or one of Its Archangels.

“We… we need to get to the Bridge. See if anything still works.”

You were shaking.

-

As you made your way to the Bridge, your awe was slowly replaced with liquid rage in equal measure. The idea that anyone could find a relic like this - this perfect exemplification of the will of the Omnissiah - and begin replacing it with the tools of the xeno… It was the most vile heresy you could imagine. Prior to this, you never could have imagined it, and would have attacked someone who could.

You were nearly unable to see the original - pure, sacred - walls of the ship. Instead, everything was slowly being replaced by pulsating organic tissue. Much of it matched the material you had seen of Tyranids so far, but others were disturbingly familiar. The walls breathed, and sweat, and hatchways were being filled by organic valves the size of trucks. You were glad the Kriegers had equipped everyone with gas masks - you could taste the atmosphere changing.

The walls had an unpleasant yellow light, one that would suggest sickliness in humans. It slowly spread along the walls and ceiling like nervous tissue, flickering golden spiderwebs that existed without meaning or explanation. The hallways were still using pheromones to transmit meaning, but you also saw the occasional vox built in the wall. The speaker mechanism had been replaced by human faces, which murmured quietly.

You hoped they weren’t still alive. You hoped it was just the xeno using their biomatter.

They were whispering the Secrets in High Gothic. The Sacred Mysteries of the Mechanicus, the core meanings and lessons that had been learned in millennia of careful rediscovery. Their whispers echoed up and down the hallways hauntingly, and the breathing of the ship distorted them, making them sound perverted, heretical. Explanations on how to combine xenotek with the Omnissiah.

It was good you were the only one who spoke High Gothic. Your retinue wasn’t ready for such awfulness. No one outside the Mysteries should even know it was possible, let alone know how it was done. Your skin felt clammy, and you were sweating more than was normal. Such. . . such perversion in this place. It revolted you, and you were torn between demanding the cleansing flame for this heresy, and trying to save it in some way. The most sacred relic, turned to the most base perversion.

You would have thought your arrival to the Bridge would have been a relief - but in many ways, it was so much worse.

The whispers were continuing - indeed, they echoed off the walls, dozens of faces speaking their forbidden truths. Their eyes seemed to be watching you with fevered gaze, and you shuddered at what they said to you. The cogitators had been opened up and stretched across consoles, and humans were plugged into them - skulls open, brains pulsing in the open air. The xeno was using them to think their terrible thoughts.

You recognized xeno tissue and organs grafted onto them, warping the perfection of the human form.

And interweaved through the desecrations, crawling and leaping and swarming - genestealers. Nearly two dozen of them. They chirped and chittered and sniffed at each other, transmitting information faster than you could follow. They shifted from High Gothic to binary to pheromones without pause. And then one saw you, and they all froze in place. A part of you was startled to note they were all wearing the dolmans of the Imperial Navy.

You fought to contain your revulsion. One of them saluted. With two right arms.

What do you do?
A. CLEANSE THE XENO
B. Tell them to carry on, and then SURPRISE ATTACK
C. Salute back. Ask for a tour.
D. Demand a progress report.
E. Something Else

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

....I think?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
D, only because we should get more info before we burn it all

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 19, 2015

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
A!

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Yeaaaaaah.

D, but goddamn.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ewwww. I imagine this place feels and sounds like being in a giant mouth while they're chewing on insects.

D

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
D. This ship is too valuable to risk damaging it by fighting on the bridge. We'll find a way to save it from the xenos when we have more information.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

D, but A when we have everything we need from them.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B

Purge smarter not harder.

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6
D, but if we can subvocalize readiness commands to our troops(especially the Kriegers) we should.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
D then B.

Kill! Maim! Burn!
After we figure out what the hell is going on.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
D. Get a full report in binary / pheromones. Not sure if we want them to be talking Common.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Probably should let the Kriegers know what we're planning so they don't open fire on us when we start talking with the Xeno.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

VanSandman posted:

D then B.

Kill! Maim! Burn!

this

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

VanSandman posted:

D then B.

Kill! Maim! Burn!

Let's do this.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

D, just D, not A

No reason to ruin our element of surprise on mooks.

Also, goddamn, I think I just realized where this is all going :allears:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Haystack posted:

Also, goddamn, I think I just realized where this is all going :allears:

:justpost:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Well, we wanted to become a ship, didn't we?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Haystack posted:

Well, we wanted to become a ship, didn't we?

Some people did. I never thought it was a good idea.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

VanSandman posted:

Probably should let the Kriegers know what we're planning so they don't open fire on us when we start talking with the Xeno.

Oh Omnissiah yes.
D
And subvox to the Kriegers

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

D but with no A. Look, these things aren't attacking us. We're gonna have to remove them delicately to avoid losing irreplaceable knowledge.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Agreed. No attacking until we can be sure we can remove them without damaging the ship. Even the ghostly echo of a single machine spirit on this ship is worth more the fifty Beasts

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Yeah this thing is priceless. If we can play our cards perfectly here, get the xeno scrubbed off and restore this ship, we could tell pretty much everyone to get bent and fly off laughing.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
A

When faced with such vile and profane heresy there is but only once choice. Purge the xeno, the heretic, the courrupted. Expunge the gene stealers with righteous fury and zeal. Tear the foulness from the consoles and expunged the courrupted cogitators: rage and rave against this corruption and pray to the Omnissiah that something holy still remains unstained.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah this thing is half tyranid now, and is in rather bad place.

It's more threat than treasure now. It cannot be allowed to reach the main Hive Fleet.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Gee, I wonder why the Hive mind suddenly decided to allow us to inside untroubled, when it clearly could have sicced the Hive-Tyrants on us. It's almost like it needs us... :allears:

D - Let's see how far the rabbit hole goes before we set it on fire.

e: Subvox the Kriegers, too, I guess

my dad fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

D then Burn the xenos. Only holy fire may cleanse this relic.