Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Fat Lowtax posted:

What they need is an evil doctor character

Preferably played by Brad Dourif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

Fat Lowtax posted:

What they need is an evil doctor character

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

When is the big guy going to get his day in court for the "dumb as gently caress" stuff?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Grant DaNasty posted:

When is the big guy going to get his day in court for the "dumb as gently caress" stuff?

The real secret is the ability to forgive.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

The real secret is the ability to forgive.

BIG GUY
BIG HEART
BIG IN THE METAPHORICAL SENSE
NOT BECAUSE OF ROIDS

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Y'all are getting shoot worked into a worked shoot, jabroni marks

Punk confirmed for the post-Mania RAW

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
This case seems like a bad idea. The last thing you would want as a publicly traded company is a pissed off ex-employee with a high dollar lawyer and the ability to subpoena documents from the company.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

There's also the chance that Punk's story is grounded in the truth but as he got worked up and told it he got carried away to make it more entertaining, confused details with the other WWE doctor and doesn't have the best memory due to being concussed. When this is presented as the pure, unadulterated truth with no correction or retraction that can be a major problem.

Punk is as big a self-mark and carny as anyone in the business, of course he exaggerated to make it sound better. Just depends how severely.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sex Robot posted:

This. Specials have been reduced to a punctuation mark. The more I think about it, pinfall matches always end one of two ways.

Oh no he landed his finisher It's all over

or

Oh no he landed his finisher it's all over! Oh no! the other guy kicked out and landed his finisher as well. It's all over!

It's why the NXT special ruled. Diva match ends with a submission wearing down the champ so much that you can roll her over for a pin. Main event ends in a KO.

I always think matches should have more variety. Have the random countout or double countout. Have a guy hurt himself early in the match, his opponenet work on that body part, and have that body part actually play a role in the loss.

All matches now are predictable. Just waiting around until the finisher exchange begins. Everything else doesn't matter.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Niwrad posted:

I always think matches should have more variety. Have the random countout or double countout. Have a guy hurt himself early in the match, his opponenet work on that body part, and have that body part actually play a role in the loss.

The closest we got to this recently was Rusev/Swagger, and it was loving awesome. Swagger wrecked Rusev's ankle with the Patriot Lock early on, so Rusev hobbled around selling it the rest of the match. He went for his camel clutch, but couldn't apply full pressure on the ankle, so he tried a modified version that Swagger broke out of. In the finish, Rusev gritted his teeth and used the camel clutch full stop, while selling the anguish on his face how much it's hurting. He almost passed out before Swagger did.

And then Rusev sold the hurt ankle for like 2 months afterwards. Basically Rusev is the best.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Viper_3000 posted:

This case seems like a bad idea. The last thing you would want as a publicly traded company is a pissed off ex-employee with a high dollar lawyer and the ability to subpoena documents from the company.

Or it's a good idea because Punk lied or embellished the story.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

price check on jackass

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

got any grey poupon

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

got any grey poupon
Man what is the story of all of that, did they have to run across the street to get milk for some reason?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I watched that segment about 100 times.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

everything about it is wonderful, especially when austin sings "that's amore" into a salami and then beats booker with a pizza

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I liked when they were fighting in a Church and they stopped when the nuns were watching.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Way too many people are assuming Punk is the lying one, it's unexpected.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
disgruntled employee known for saying stupid poo poo lie and embellish a story?

i never

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

kdrudy posted:

A wrestler may have lied or exaggerated a story for attention!?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

kdrudy posted:

While filing the lawsuit is not evidence he is right, filing the lawsuit while employed by WWE, a company that wouldn't want his malpractice to be highlighted is a hint Punk may not have been 100% truthful.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Whether or not Punk was 100% factually correct of details that happened when he was sick and not sleeping, he definitely could've just spilled the beans on everything. Here's hoping WWE poked the wrong bear because they felt they could.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
I'm sure that there was a long and drawn out process in determining whether or not he even had a solid case against Punk. At least I'd like to think that Jerry McDevitt's got a solid head on his shoulders regarding something like this, assuming he's the one leading the case.

On the other hand Punk has never embellished any stories he's ever told in the past so he's pretty much guaranteed a clean win here. Finally he goes over in the true main event.

Cory Lidle posted:

Whether or not Punk was 100% factually correct of details that happened when he was sick and not sleeping, he definitely could've just spilled the beans on everything. Here's hoping WWE poked the wrong bear because they felt they could.

lol

TEGGS
Nov 21, 2004

Spoony Bard!

sticklefifer posted:

It's WWE's plan to get Punk back. They'll litigate him until he's out of money and then he'll have no choice but to come back to work. Then of course they'll put him on Superstars in a tag team with Zack Ryder called the Zack-Pak.

ZM Ryder

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Xenoletum posted:

I'm sure that there was a long and drawn out process in determining whether or not he even had a solid case against Punk. At least I'd like to think that Jerry McDevitt's got a solid head on his shoulders regarding something like this, assuming he's the one leading the case.

On the other hand Punk has never embellished any stories he's ever told in the past so he's pretty much guaranteed a clean win here. Finally he goes over in the true main event.

lol

I doubt mcdevitt handles personal cases for employees

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

I liked when they were fighting in a Church and they stopped when the nuns were watching.

wait when was this

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I doubt mcdevitt handles personal cases for employees

In that article yuriy posted, it says that Amann's lawyers are named Zisook and Saucier. That could not be a funnier combination of names.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This lawsuit will be more entertaining than most Raws.

Let's go Punk.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

If they don't settle, the build to the court case will be better than the build to Wrestlemania

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Xenoletum posted:

On the other hand Punk has never embellished any stories he's ever told in the past

Well I'm fairly certain the WHAT DO MY KNUCKLES SAY!?! story is very slightly embellished.

In all seriousness, in cases like this, is the onus on the guy being sued to prove that it did happen, or on the guy suing to prove it did NOT happen?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Well I'm fairly certain the WHAT DO MY KNUCKLES SAY!?! story is very slightly embellished.

In all seriousness, in cases like this, is the onus on the guy being sued to prove that it did happen, or on the guy suing to prove it did NOT happen?

It's very hard to prove libel in an American courtroom. You not only have to prove they are lying (or that it should have been obvious they are lying) but also that the statements did harm.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

This lawsuit will be more entertaining than most Raws.

Let's go Punk.

CM Sucks

KungFu Grip posted:

wait when was this
it was either the week before or the week after the grocery store but Stone Cold chased Booker T into a church during bingo night and at some point Booker T hid in a confessional and took confessions from parishioners

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

they're going to accidentally sue sheamus

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If things get too bad Vince may have to pull some strings and get IRS to audit him.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Lil Wayne sued cash money and now WWE sues CM Punk. Best year ever so far. All I need is Roman Reigns beating Brock in a 1v1 match standing tall in a heap of trash in the ring.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Jerusalem posted:

From findlaw:

quote:

Defamation law changes as you cross state borders, but there are normally some accepted standards that make laws similar no matter where you are. If you think that you have been the victim of some defamatory statement, whether slander or libel, then you will need to file a lawsuit in order to recover. Generally speaking, in order to win your lawsuit, you must show that:

Someone made a statement;
that statement was published;
the statement caused you injury;
the statement was false; and
the statement did not fall into a privileged category.

We know Punk made the statements and they were published, and they aren't privileged. The question moves to 'did this statement cause you injury' (could pass this test, having a million+ people listen to a famous wrestler call you a negligent doctor can damage your personal and professional life) and 'are the statements false' (could pass this test but may be difficult if there aren't detailed medical records kept by the doc and WWE.)

If Punk was lying about the Rumble conversation and the Z-Pak treatment plan he will probably be found liable.

The one thing that makes me think Amann has merit is that I can't imagine Vince/the WWE allowing Amann to file the suit while still under their employ if they weren't confident Punk was lying and that nothing destructive would come from discovery.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 20, 2015

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CubsWoo posted:

The one thing that makes me think Amann has merit is that I can't imagine Vince/the WWE allowing Amann to file the suit while still under their employ if they weren't confident Punk was lying and that nothing destructive would come from discovery.

This is how I feel too. I have a really incredibly hard time believing they'd let Amann sue as a WWE employee if they didn't think they had a solid case.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

CubsWoo posted:

We know Punk made the statements and they were published, and they aren't privileged. The question moves to 'did this statement cause you injury' (could pass this test, having a million+ people listen to a famous wrestler call you a negligent doctor can damage your personal and professional life) and 'are the statements false' (could pass this test but may be difficult if there aren't detailed medical records kept by the doc and WWE.)

In this particular case, you probably don't need to prove damages, as the statements are almost certainly going to be considered defamation per se, since they directly call into question Dr. Amann's competence as a doctor, and statements that defame one's ability to perform his profession are assumed to do injury to a person, and damages don't need to be shown in that case.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

I'm just thinking out loud here and taking things to a dumb conclusion, but how could this play out if Punk just turned around and said "that was all kayfabe" as there have been numerous instances of real life gently caress ups being incorporated into kayfabe and things people thought were kayfabe turned out to be real.

How could a court react to an industry that goes "this time last year I stood in front of an audience and purported to talk about corruption in the locker room but that was all a work, so is this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sex Robot posted:

I'm just thinking out loud here and taking things to a dumb conclusion, but how could this play out if Punk just turned around and said "that was all kayfabe" as there have been numerous instances of real life gently caress ups being incorporated into kayfabe and things people thought were kayfabe turned out to be real.

How could a court react to an industry that goes "this time last year I stood in front of an audience and purported to talk about corruption in the locker room but that was all a work, so is this"

He would then have to pay millions of dollars to the doctor for making up a story about him and broadcasting it on the internet.

• Locked thread