Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

They have tells based on the dialogue. Luca there is about to try a wild attack, I believe.

And his Wild Attack will one shot the protagonist.
While the protagonist will one-shot Luca with a wild attack as well.

That's what makes it so tense because after taking on 3 parties he's still kicking enough to game over you if you read him wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Suikoden II is the best game. I love that you can opt out of being the hero only a little while into the game and you actually get an ending. My friends mom had a bout of religious mania shortly after I beat it and threw my copy away when I lent it to him :negative:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Luca Blight is very fond of his exclamation points.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Vil posted:

Luca Blight is very fond of his exclamation points.

Sir Pratchett (and probably others) mention that using more than 2 exclamation points in a row is a sure sign of madness.

With how loving insane Luca Blight is, I think the trend towards #of ! and madness is exponential.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I can't loving stand pewdiepie

The main story is the worst part of FFXIV. Pretty much all of the side quests are tongue in cheek in some way. Moogle Mail and Hildibrand are simply the strongest examples of these.

Yea, me neither. And I wish the main story wasn't so bland compared to everything else. The latest chapter from Hildibrand was insane.

FillInTheBlank posted:

When will there be a new Chocobo Racing?

There's actually gonna be a Chocobo Racing game in about a week in FFXIV's Gold Saucer, complete with Chocobo breeding and what not. Whether it will be any good, absolutely terrible or anything between remains to be seen.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011

Elentor posted:

There's actually gonna be a Chocobo Racing game in about a week in FFXIV's Gold Saucer, complete with Chocobo breeding and what not. Whether it will be any good, absolutely terrible or anything between remains to be seen.

The interview notes from the other day make it sound like RNG dependent race wins with RNG stat growths and breeding will probably also have RNG thrown in because why not.
Either it'll be the world's best time sink or an awful grindfest (I'm hoping the former)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's nailed on to be a grindfest. XIV's not exactly averse to that concept.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like that final scene before the Northern Crater. Cloud all "this is serious poo poo, find a thing to be serious about" even though you the player know everybody's going to come back.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Grizlor posted:

he gets better

:golfclap:

this is a good post.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Glazius posted:

I do like that final scene before the Northern Crater. Cloud all "this is serious poo poo, find a thing to be serious about" even though you the player know everybody's going to come back.

That's what they said about Aeris.

though personally I'd have been glad to see Vincent not returning, a la some of the characters in XII that you get on a temporary basis.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Glazius posted:

I dunno, my first time playing, I really thought they might not. I was kind of a dumb kid.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

The best Chrono Trigger ending was the one where the girls did the slide show talking about what they thought of the guys of the game

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

waah posted:

The best Chrono Trigger ending was the one where the girls did the slide show talking about what they thought of the guys of the game

No the best Chrono Trigger Ending is the one where they Bring Aeris back to life

It came totally out of left field for me.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The one where (Chrono Trigger spoiler incoming) Crono somehow ends up deposing Magus with Marle and Lucca as his Flea and Slash was pretty boss.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

NikkolasKing posted:

My problem was that there's just no urgency in a time travel story where time travel is so casual. The world will e in danger? Meh, no big deal, we can travel back to long before that will ever matter. Hell, we could stay in our own time and never have to think about Lavos ever again.

That's the best part. After they go on their accidental adventure to the future they are about to go home free and clear and they find out about Lavos and decide they need to do something about it. The characters have the option of sitting at home and never thinking about Lavos ever again, and decide not to, because they are bloody heroes.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Blind Melon posted:

That's the best part. After they go on their accidental adventure to the future they are about to go home free and clear and they find out about Lavos and decide they need to do something about it. The characters have the option of sitting at home and never thinking about Lavos ever again, and decide not to, because they are bloody heroes.

The plot of Chrono Trigger DOES bring up an interesting question. If you found out about a preventable apocalypse and had the means to stop it, would you?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Silegna posted:

The plot of Chrono Trigger DOES bring up an interesting question. If you found out about a preventable apocalypse and had the means to stop it, would you?

Only if I look like Goku.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Blind Melon posted:

Maybe I'm jaded and cynical but I think a personal motivation is the only real type of motivation. It's why Magus was the best character. He was the only one with a legitimate (to me) reason to constantly pursue and fight Lavos.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Silegna posted:

Yes, I recycle.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Only if I look like Goku.

A perfectly acceptable measure of heroic potential.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Silegna posted:

On the one hand, you'd save mankind. On the other hand, you'd save mankind. Hard choice.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pierzak posted:

On the one hand, you'd save mankind. On the other hand, you'd save mankind. Hard choice.

If it's any consolation, Chrono Cross establishes that you killed all those people who were going to live in the Lavos Timeline you erased by saving mankind.

So you still kill a lot of mankind.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe I'm jaded and cynical but I think a personal motivation is the only real type of motivation. It's why Magus was the best character. He was the only one with a legitimate (to me) reason to constantly pursue and fight Lavos.

Personal motivation would push Robo into the pro-Lavos camp (he isn't invented in a world where Lavos doesn't exist), and I don't want Robo to be a villain.

I wish there was more of the Queen Zeal archetype in JRPGs. The Shinra guys are halfway there in this game. Queen Zeal discovers this massive, ancient, unlimited power and is willing to betray the entire human race to have access to even a fraction of Lavos' power. If a Shinra exec had joined up with Sephiroth, maybe for an injection of JENOVA powers, that'd be pretty excellent. (I'm not counting Hojo, I meant the real Shinra figures. Heidigger or Scarlet all JENOVA'd out.)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Blind Melon posted:

The characters have the option of sitting at home and never thinking about Lavos ever again, and decide not to, because they are bloody heroes.

Silegna posted:

So... save the cheerleader, save the world?

I'll just be going now.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

So... save the cheerleader, save the world?

I'll just be going now.

Fun Fact: That's getting rebooted.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Patter Song posted:

Personal motivation would push Robo into the pro-Lavos camp (he isn't invented in a world where Lavos doesn't exist), and I don't want Robo to be a villain.

I wish there was more of the Queen Zeal archetype in JRPGs. The Shinra guys are halfway there in this game. Queen Zeal discovers this massive, ancient, unlimited power and is willing to betray the entire human race to have access to even a fraction of Lavos' power. If a Shinra exec had joined up with Sephiroth, maybe for an injection of JENOVA powers, that'd be pretty excellent. (I'm not counting Hojo, I meant the real Shinra figures. Heidigger or Scarlet all JENOVA'd out.)

That's why kefka was the poo poo. If this LP showed me anything, it's that shinra is pretty incompetent.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
God I loved Chrono Trigger. I'm actually replaying it again now for the first time in many, many years because of you jerks. My favorite part of this discussion is, it's been so long since I actually beat the game, and there are so many god drat endings, that I'm not entirely sure if those are legit endings being mentioned or not.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Booties posted:

That's why kefka was the poo poo. If this LP showed me anything, it's that shinra is pretty incompetent.

Kefka was a legit psycho, and it was amazing. One of the best villains I've ever seen. Kefka didn't gently caress around. I remember being floored at how he didn't pull punches and just straight up murdered a lot of people.

And yeah, Zeal too.

I do love how Persona 3 dealt with this - Nyx being the avatar of death itself, and not really being evil per se, just a force of nature and fate. Certainly not a cackling maniacal "yeah, that's definitely a bad guy" character, and it lead to the final battle feeling entirely different than any other RPG I've played yet

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Code Jockey posted:

I do love how Persona 3 dealt with this - Nyx being the avatar of death itself, and not really being evil per se, just a force of nature and fate. Certainly not a cackling maniacal "yeah, that's definitely a bad guy" character, and it lead to the final battle feeling entirely different than any other RPG I've played yet

I dunno, Dhaos does this in Tales of Phantasia and it just made me feel like kind of an rear end in a top hat. Barbarosa in Suikoden, I liked him. He's not crazy, he's not greedy, he's just old and in love with a crazy and greedy woman who looks like his late wife. His actions are poo poo, but his motivations are at the same time both likeable and not a good enough reason to feel bad for taking him down.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Code Jockey posted:

Kefka was a legit psycho, and it was amazing. One of the best villains I've ever seen. Kefka didn't gently caress around. I remember being floored at how he didn't pull punches and just straight up murdered a lot of people.

And yeah, Zeal too.

Ah, yes Persona 3. A great game, with some pretty deep motivations and lessons...then we go to generic detective mystery in Persona 4, but drat the music made up for that.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The overarching plot of Persona 4 was kind of generic, but the individual characters and their arcs were really well done. Kanji is one of the better RPG characters I've ever seen. He just goes about his little journey of self discovery in the most awesome way possible. With an anger problem and a complete lack of patience.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011

Patter Song posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but technically wasn't Robo invented before the 1999 A.D. apocalypse? When Lucca fixes him up when they first discover him, wasn't he laying there robo-dead for those centuries since, and so, if changing the timeline, he would still live just fine and his primary functions never be disrupted? He probably would rather choose that over keeping Lavos around, I imagine. At that rate, actually, he is the only character to experience that actual Lavos apocalypse firsthand, so that'd be a pretty good personal motivation for revenge, hm.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Twisted Eye posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but technically wasn't Robo invented before the 1999 A.D. apocalypse? When Lucca fixes him up when they first discover him, wasn't he laying there robo-dead for those centuries since, and so, if changing the timeline, he would still live just fine and his primary functions never be disrupted? He probably would rather choose that over keeping Lavos around, I imagine. At that rate, actually, he is the only character to experience that actual Lavos apocalypse firsthand, so that'd be a pretty good personal motivation for revenge, hm.

I think he was referring to how Robo was Created by Mother Brain to spy on humanity, before the apocalypse happened and he lost his memory, and then was repaired and co-opted by Lucca and Crono. Once he remembers Mother Brain, it's obvious that she wants to destroy humanity and that he was supposed to help her with that all along. But Robo has bigger things to worry about now - Mother Brain doesn't even realize he's a time traveler out to prevent the apocalypse now.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Silegna posted:

Ah, yes Persona 3. A great game, with some pretty deep motivations and lessons...then we go to generic detective mystery in Persona 4, but drat the music made up for that.

DeathChicken posted:

The overarching plot of Persona 4 was kind of generic, but the individual characters and their arcs were really well done. Kanji is one of the better RPG characters I've ever seen. He just goes about his little journey of self discovery in the most awesome way possible. With an anger problem and a complete lack of patience.

Fun fact: Persona 3 and 4 are pretty heavily inspired by JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (to the point that from 3 on Personas were basically reimagined as Stands-but-not, and the first time the main character uses an Invoker is a shot-for-shot reference to the first time a Stand is summoned in Stardust Crusaders,) and in both Persona and JJBA, part 3 is an epic story about saving the world while part 4 is a smaller-scale murder mystery set in a rural japanese town punctuated by vignettes of teenagers with superpowers loving around.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm four pages late and swimming through a sea of general JRPG chat but I loved the update, Elentor. I never realized that that scene could be different, possibly because early teen me was nice to Tifa on every playthrough (surprise surprise) and I completely forgot about the vague sexual implications.

It always annoyed me that they said they have nowhere to go when Cloud had just recently purchased a sweet coastal villa they could've been hanging out in :mad:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Silegna posted:

Fun Fact: That's getting rebooted.

What?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

They're rebooting Heroes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MightyPretenders posted:

I think he was referring to how Robo was Created by Mother Brain to spy on humanity, before the apocalypse happened and he lost his memory, and then was repaired and co-opted by Lucca and Crono. Once he remembers Mother Brain, it's obvious that she wants to destroy humanity and that he was supposed to help her with that all along. But Robo has bigger things to worry about now - Mother Brain doesn't even realize he's a time traveler out to prevent the apocalypse now.

Mother Brain wasn't intending to kill humanity from the start, though. Her entire point was 'welp, humanity's hosed, at least I can save a ton of other planets from the same fate'.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

NikkolasKing posted:

a one-on-one battle in a JRPG is almost always loving lame and boring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw_uhsfEcOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFSRfYfoXjg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b81v3UriMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

DeathChicken posted:

Kanji is so great. :allears:

Silegna posted:

Persona 3 was just overflowing with style. I don't know how better to express that - P3 is just insanely stylish. The music, the UI, the characters, all of it feels so unique and well done and coherent.

P4 is still good, and largely continues the trend, but it's just... different. But yeah, both games had ridiculous soundtracks, that are permanently stuck in my head.

I really should stop playing other things and just go finish P4...

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 20, 2015

• Locked thread