Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

IceLicker posted:

wtf. I clicked right at 3pm est, waited in line and it says they're all sold out. How is that possible? Did anyone else manage to get tickets?

Same here, guess I'm not heading out after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Totally blanked on the registration thing and didn't get a chance to purchase. I was at work on the day anyway. Definitely had an amazingly great time last year, I'll look for ticket opportunities through the summer. Although I think it's more likely that I will just try to attend a regional.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I've had pretty good luck with the regionals. Plus, you get to plan for different weather, the local one's in the midwest in late October, so snow's a definite possibility!

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Liquid Communism posted:

Same here, guess I'm not heading out after all.

Yeah it's not like there are two more sales or hundreds/thousands of people who won't be able to go and who wont scalp their tickets or anything

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
STEP is a joke, my impression from anecdata is that the success rate there is extremely low. And OMG only has 1000 tickets. 80,000 people registered for the individual sale, which was 40,000 tickets - so it's 2x oversubscribed and gives a sense of the huge demand that wasn't there 3-4 years ago.

So while it's true that there are other opportunities in STEP/OMG and the inevitable flakers, the demand is so high and the supply is so low that the effort involved to secure a ticket is going to be monumental. Getting a BM ticket is now like trying to find a house to rent in SF; ridiculously oversubscribed so people are forced to go to great lengths to secure one.

gently caress that poo poo - I'd rather go to a smaller event where I know all my friends can make it without stress and hassle.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mitztronic posted:

Yeah it's not like there are two more sales or hundreds/thousands of people who won't be able to go and who wont scalp their tickets or anything

I'm not in a position to gamble on prepping for a 2k mile each way roll out to the desert, and the time off required for the logistics of it, without solidly knowing I have a ticket and a parking pass well in advance. Besides, none of the folks I was going to roll with scored tickets either, so it's not a huge deal to just do the Regional instead and have a few grand for other expenses and doing something fun for that event.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
The supply/demand is kind of unfortunate, but part of me likes the excitement of it. I got two tickets and a vehicle pass. I blew through all of my net nanny exception time for this week at work, but at least I didn't have to take vacation time.

Before anybody asks, the extra is 100% for certain going to someone I'm already friends with. We're going to have a camp roll call soon, and see who got extras, who didn't get any, etc. If it doesn't go there, my burner mom has a virgin already picked out for me to sponsor.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That's about half the problem right there. Everybody and their mother who got through bought an extra ticket just in case a friend didn't get through, so now there's a vast number of tickets floating around that are going to be dumped closer to the event when who can actually go works out. Suppose that's a good thing for the SF and Reno folks who can pick up and run to the playa on a whim, but it makes it hard for anyone trying to coordinate getting a camp out there but not big enough to be in the distributed sale.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

That's about half the problem right there. Everybody and their mother who got through bought an extra ticket just in case a friend didn't get through, so now there's a vast number of tickets floating around that are going to be dumped closer to the event when who can actually go works out. Suppose that's a good thing for the SF and Reno folks who can pick up and run to the playa on a whim, but it makes it hard for anyone trying to coordinate getting a camp out there but not big enough to be in the distributed sale.

It sucks, but it's also the only way to be reasonably sure you'll have what you need. My partner and I have a friend who will absolutely come if he gets any kind of chance, and another friend who says "maybe". So between us we were aiming for 3-4 tickets. Our maybe wasn't going to put out $400 (we didn't even ask), and our other friend hosed up and didn't register in time. We got our 4, which we acknowledge was a huge, huge stroke of luck. So it would be good to get our ship in order soon, even though we're six months out? Is there even a mechanism for ethical resale right now?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, not hoarding an artificially limited commodity on a maybe. :D

Honest answer, though, STEP starts before too long.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Doubleposting for good news : A Blog Post!

My favorite thing from it so far is this :

quote:

Unfortunately there is some truth to this. Approximately 200 people created a technical ‘backdoor’ to the sale and made their way to the front of the line. Absolutely no tickets were sold before the sale opened at 12:00 pm, but they were able to purchase the first batch of tickets when the sale started. The good news (for us, not them) is that we can track them down, and we’re going to cancel their orders. The tickets from those orders will be made available in the OMG Sale in August. Of course, steps are being taken to prevent this from happening again in future sales.

Still doesn't really make up for the fact that this kind of issue has come up every year for the last several, but it's something right? Too bad those tickets are going to be out of the market until it's too late for a lot of people to get to the Burn with them anyway, but it's something.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
For anyone looking to start the burn season off early, I am on the BOD for Reclaimation, The Kentucky Regional and we are the 2nd weekend in May (May 6-10) and we are looking forward to a really great year!!! Check us out! Or Facebook us!

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

I had the extra for less than a week before I found a friend who didn't get through, so while this obviously sucks for people who aren't us, I hope it's understandable why people do it. It's a fundamental problem. Their permit allows a certain number of people, and going over that jeopardizes the event for everyone. Auctioning tickets or otherwise letting the price fluctuate normally would price most current Burners out of the market and probably poison the culture, so something's got to give, and it comes in with the inconvenience of the ticket process.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Unfortunately, I worry this is going to be just as poisonous. People need to have lead time to bring the sort of mad art that makes BM interesting, and with the disarray over vehicle passes...

Well, let's just say it's hard to haul enough to be self sufficient for a week on a bus, much less art projects, camp structure, or things to gift. That means the only ones hauling in impressive works are those wit deep enough pockets to buy commercial delivery, or placed theme camps given the distributed sale had more vehicle passes.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 24, 2015

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Ok, looks like I will be camping with Feed The Artists, it's between that and Planet Earth. If I end up going with FTA I will be on playa a week early.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Liquid Communism posted:

placed theme camps given the distributed sale had more vehicle passes.

Bingo. Pulling this out of my rear end, but I'd imagine that 50% of the camps between Esplanade and B are confirmed and ticketed by now, just need to be given the formal address/location.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's kind of hilarious, there's already people trying to use vehicle passes as barter to get into theme camps over on eplaya.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Liquid Communism posted:

It's kind of hilarious, there's already people trying to use vehicle passes as barter to get into theme camps over on eplaya.
Huh? Theme camps usually require both work and financial contributions. They dont seem competitive to get into..?

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

FRINGE posted:

Huh? Theme camps usually require both work and financial contributions. They dont seem competitive to get into..?

Depends on which theme camp. Mine is pretty open and lots of friends-of-friends camp with us, but we're not an Esplanade-class camp at all, and our DGS allotment is like 5 or 6 tickets and two vehicle passes. Someplace like Pink Heart is super well known and basically always on Esplanade, but according to what I hear, it's a bunch of people who are already friends, and there isn't really a way to "get in."

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 25, 2015

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Looks like I will be performing in conclave this year :)

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

Me too, for the second time. Which one are you in? I'm in garnish

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So I'm angling to get to burning man this year. I spent the past six in the navy and this will be my first chance ever. Now i'm dealing with the ticketing process and its pretty frustrating.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Turtle Blogger posted:

Me too, for the second time. Which one are you in? I'm in garnish

Garnish? I loving love you guys. I'm doing breathing for Florida fire conclave this year.

Really excited, the guys from need to burn are in the crew this year.

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 12, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

So I'm angling to get to burning man this year. I spent the past six in the navy and this will be my first chance ever. Now i'm dealing with the ticketing process and its pretty frustrating.

Yeah, good luck with that. Ticketing this year is, as it has been for the last couple, a mess. If you can go on short notice, you've got a good change of picking up a secondary market ticket close to the event as people discover they can't make it out, especially if you're somewhere like Reno or SF with big burner communities.

Asshole Businessman
Aug 8, 2007
I heart Donald Trump.

M_Gargantua posted:

STEP registration at noon, I'd get on that

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
As usual, the temple is the thing that makes me feel the most wonder and breathtaken about Burning Man. This year's design is insane.

http://blog.burningman.com/2015/03/building-brc/the-temple-of-promise/

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx
nm

RACHET fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 7, 2015

StevieBoy
Jan 1, 2005
Stupid Newbie
Thought this might be of interest to all you burners. It's unlikely I'll ever get to go so it's nice to know this happened a little closer to home :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-32002102

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Anyone know anything about Lakes Of Fire? I think that's the one that I could get the most amount of my friends interested in.

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

Dude! I'm about to bust a mad slizzice in ya insides!

Liquid Communism posted:

Sounds lovely. My biggest concern is packing in enough water to last me the week. That and sleeping arrangements. I usually hammock it, and I can't see a good way to get sufficiently sturdy materials into a package that'll fly. :P

For the sleeping arrangements, I bought a sleeping bag, sleeping pad and a tent and fit all that in one bag checked bag that I took on a flight from Toronto. As for water, the large luggage package on the burner express allows you to bring 4 bags, so I put a 2.5 Gallon container in each one for a total of 10 gallons. I still ended up needing more, so I bought ice at centre camp and melted it. I took 2 bags to Reno on the plane with 2 empty duffel bags inside which I filled with supplies I purchased in Reno (water, snacks, last minute costumes etc) and took 4 bags on the bus. I don't know much about hammocks, but if you search hard enough, I'm sure someone somewhere has come up with an extremly portable solution.

Oh Mister B
Feb 29, 2008

i could not get thru september w/o a battle

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

For anyone looking to start the burn season off early, I am on the BOD for Reclaimation, The Kentucky Regional and we are the 2nd weekend in May (May 6-10) and we are looking forward to a really great year!!! Check us out! Or Facebook us!

Oh what's up! I'm in Louisville and had no idea about this sucker. I'll check it out.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

Oh Mister B posted:

Oh what's up! I'm in Louisville and had no idea about this sucker. I'll check it out.

Word! Add me on Facebook! I can tell you all the things you want to know! Plus I think you have to be added to the FB group by a current member...

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Any of you heading to the Santa Cruz regional in a few weeks?

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Or for that matter, are any of you heading to the shenanigans happening in Toronto tonight?

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda
My roommate just got back from Australia where he attended the Blazing Swan festival in Kulin a couple weeks ago. He was invited there to re-create his Nuclear Dream mushroom cloud.

He said it was an incredible event despite the fact that the wind blew embers from their main burn into his tent and burned it to the ground.

Any Australian burners ITT catch this?

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I went to the Los Angeles regional. It was small, capped at 1,000 people, and fun. It was at a campground just outside of Joshua Tree. Apparently the neighbors have complained in previous years, so the music was super quiet this year which was kind of a bummer, but other than that, same good burn vibes plus its fun to see the same people over the course of the weekend. I recommend regionals

Eldritch Sandwich
Nov 1, 2007
Baked by Beelzebub

gadgethugs posted:

Or for that matter, are any of you heading to the shenanigans happening in Toronto tonight?

We were there, we're part of the Site 3 crew. Hope you had a chance to stop by and see some fire!

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

15 Days out from my home regional burn and I am getting excited. Making a illuminated flower garden art project that I have got to get finished.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Eldritch Sandwich posted:

We were there, we're part of the Site 3 crew. Hope you had a chance to stop by and see some fire!

Was Site 3 where the fire trucks slowly cruised by before deciding everything was under control and continuing along?

If so, yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Any of y'all at Euphoria? Probably one of the best burns I've been to so far. Great weather and awesome vibes, and all of the camp mates I've had in the past that like to generate drama couldn't make it!

• Locked thread