Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Doamaiger D episode 2 is out! Looks like the show isn't pure monster-of-the-week, Daijirou discovers Doamaiger D this episode and we find out his dad ran away. Also I noticed the TV monitor blur on the edges and the simulated film scratches, this show looks goddamn amazing for a Flash animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I'm really liking Doamaiger D a lot, I just desperately wish it would be longer than 3 minutes. Maybe make it 2 15-minute episodes in a 30min block? I really have a soft spot for the classic giant robo shows.

I honestly prefer the original Mazinger Z to Shin Mazinger. Even though I only first saw it as the horribly butchered Tranzor Z and it would be years later before I learned how screwed American audiences were in it's run. I liked how Koji wasn't a very good pilot in the beginning, he had to practice and train to bring out Mazinger's full potential. I liked how as formidable as it was, it wasn't perfect, the villains kept discovering chinks and flaws and Mazinger needed regular upgrades to keep up, while in Shin it seemed every time it was a case of "AHA, I anticipated them trying that! Koji, push that button!"

I only recently got the chance to see the original Getter Robo and Getter Robo G series, I feel I like the original a little more than G. I don't know if it's because I saw some of G when it was run as Starvengers on US television, I recall getting hit with flashes of "I remember that!" while watching it, but like Mazinger to Tranzor, Getter G suffered a lot in it's U.S. run.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Yeah 70s robot shows loved to show effort and pure raw determination in the face of pain. They're really earnest compared to a lot of American shows or later anime, which is why I like them so much.

I always figured that stuff like super robot shows or Ultraman were like Golden Age superheroes for Japan. Sure there would be patches of grimness or edginess later (especially in the 90s) but the core idea is still fun, honest heroism. And that core is what people remember and what survives.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

I never expected Lupe Fiasco to make a rap song titled "Mazinger" but here we are. It even has unedited versions of the Japanese and English Mazinger Z OPs at the beginning and end, like god drat. Dude likes him some super robots.

The verses are pretty abstract, so here's the Rap Genius for it if you want to read them and read what some nerds think they mean.

PS can anyone point out what dub he's using for Juuzou's lines at the beginning? It can't be Tranzor since it keeps the Japanese names.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bendigeidfran posted:

I never expected Lupe Fiasco to make a rap song titled "Mazinger" but here we are. It even has unedited versions of the Japanese and English Mazinger Z OPs at the beginning and end, like god drat. Dude likes him some super robots.

The verses are pretty abstract, so here's the Rap Genius for it if you want to read them and read what some nerds think they mean.

PS can anyone point out what dub he's using for Juuzou's lines at the beginning? It can't be Tranzor since it keeps the Japanese names.

Apparently there was a dub of Mazinger Z released by Toei specifically for Hawaii, several years before Tranzor Z.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVurGfseOII

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Um does anyone have a clear image of Kotetsushin Jeeg? I mean the one that appeared at the end of the series, not the "new Jeeg" that had a transforming motorcycle head

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Does it have to be the Shin version of old Jeeg? Because Jeeg had its own show in the 70s.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yes i am looking specifically for the robot called kotetsushin jeeg, but not new jeeg or kotetsu jeeg

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Lacking the feet but best I could find with a quick search. Doesn't seem to have many pictures of it out there.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I did like that the series itself was a sequel rather then a reboot of Jeeg. It also showed how badass Hiroshi was and still is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hello

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
So, uh, I made a Super Robot board game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tonyshine/final-attack-cooperative-real-time-super-robot-boa

Final Attack! is a team battle/survival game. Players pilot component machines of a combining anime Super Robot locked in combat against a gigantic, shape-shifting monster of the week.

The battle takes place over roughly 15-25 minutes. Together, you must fight, combine, survive, and use the Final Attack to win. If you succeed, the Earth is saved for now. If you fail, humanity will be crushed under the onslaught of an unknowable alien menace.

I was thinking of this thread at least half the time while I was working on it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Panzer World Galient has some sweet official art

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And also the best (only?) anime prog-rock OP.
I really need to finish that show.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There's the Vifam OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6xuQh0uUTo

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

And also the best (only?) anime prog-rock OP.
I really need to finish that show.

Make sure to watch the Crest of Iron OVA afterward. It's an interesting alternate reality/alternate telling of the series. The other two OVAs are just compilations and can be safely ignored.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Question - what would you guys say is the best giant robot fight scene you've watched? In terms of animation, choreography, or whatever.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm really terrible at naming a favorites so I'll just pick one of the first things that come to my mind and say I've always been a fan of the Shin Getter Robo/Getter Robo G fight in Getter Robo Armageddon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EaIHqhvQyY

Even at the points where the writing suffers I've always liked that OVA because the action is handled pretty well. It's just so exciting to watch!

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Aw yeah.

Then again, maybe I just like the song.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Darth Walrus posted:

Question - what would you guys say is the best giant robot fight scene you've watched? In terms of animation, choreography, or whatever.

There's the fight between Guld and the X-9 Ghost, which is one of the prettiest fight scenes ever animated but it hits you right in the gut if you sympathize with Guld. The man is torn apart on every level; there's a powerful mix of exhilaration and tragedy going on.

And I have to mention the final battle in Giant Robo for the most memorable images in mecha. Like, you never forget about the giant field of arrows, or Alberto's final sacrifice, or Giant Robo launching ALL THE MISSILES, or all of Daisaku's dead friends supporting him, or oh my god it's so great.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 19, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

My persona favorite has always been the final fight beteween Genesic GaoGaiGar and Palparepa.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'd say it's a tie between the final battle in the second Gurren Lagann movie and the finale of Gundam Unicorn episode 3. The former for the sheer holy poo poo quotient and entertainment, with some nice help from the music. The latter almost entirely because of the music, but the choreography and animation definitely help. MAD-NUG is one of my favorite songs ever and it combined with the spectacle of poo poo falling into the atmosphere, with the trails and a crazy Unicorn smashing stuff up never fails to give me a chill.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

This and the GGG vs GFG fight owned so hard.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
There's this moment during the season 1 Gaogaigar finale where you see him form the Goldion Hammer without the stock footage and just rip the main bad guy a new rear end in a top hat. That whole sequence of fights had a lot of amazing moments, though, from using stock footage to actively cheat ("Where's the core?! Will Knife!") to the music used during the usage of Projectile X.

My personal favorite would have to be the near-entirety of episode 19 of Gear Fighter Dendoh.

There are so many ways the show fundamentally breaks mecha anime tropes, and they all culminate into a ridiculous cocktail of "no fucks given" at this point. The main robot uses Data Weapons (living computer programs manifested as mechanical animals) to power its Final Attack (finishing move that depletes all its energy from its literally giant AA batteries). The enemies of the show (GULFER) release a gigantic quadruped robeast named Lagowe which is armed with a computer virus that infects 2 of the 4 Data Weapons the main characters have. In a moment of ingenuity and desperation, the main characters launch an invasion against GULFER's lunar outpost. They launch into space, land within firing distance of the moon with a shitload of spare batteries, and start spamming Final Attacks against the side of the building, actively destroying the fortress in an attempt to piss off the enemies enough to where they'd dispatch Lagowe against them. Lagowe comes out, poo poo gets real, and the main characters discover that the ancient alien robot they're piloting is somewhat further beyond their comprehension than they anticipated.

Everything about it is amazing. The only thing it was missing was rampant abuse of time stop abilities like the later episodes had. God, I love Dendoh.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, it's pretty much impossible to not have a good fight with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbwMVno4DUc playing.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Broken Loose posted:

Everything about it is amazing. The only thing it was missing was rampant abuse of time stop abilities like the later episodes had. God, I love Dendoh.

I wish Dendoh had good subs :(

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I have a soft spot for the fight between Robo and Uranus in ep 3 of Giant Robo because the way Uranus attacks by just smashing into Robo repeatedly is kind of hilarious but makes sense when you think about it. Also the music is killer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9uPILisdng

I also really love the sandpit fight at the end of The Soldier's Rest (ep 41) in Fang of the Sun Dougram, it made me go :drat: out loud.

I also like the fights in the first two episodes of Zeorymer, there's a really great sense of scale and atmosphere in the fights that make them an amazing watch, even for the flaws of the series as a whole.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 19, 2015

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Darth Walrus posted:

Mobile Suit Gundam, the last episode fight between Amuro and Char.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Mobile Suit Gundam, the last episode fight between Amuro and Char.

Your name reminded me that I really like the Big O v Big Duo fight in Big O Season 1

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a big fan of the final fights of GunXSword. Vaan and Co vs the Claw and Michael is loving fantastic and makes a nice Combattler V reference.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GorfZaplen posted:

Your name reminded me that I really like the Big O v Big Duo fight in Big O Season 1

You should!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheManSeries posted:

I'm a big fan of the final fights of GunXSword. Vaan and Co vs the Claw and Michael is loving fantastic and makes a nice Combattler V reference.

The Metsa of Tuesday fight against Wu is the highlight of GunXSword for me.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr9ExScjBno

I don't think anything I can say about this fight will do it justice. Just watch it. Or rewatch it.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Darth Walrus posted:

What are your favorites, btw?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

John Carstairs posted:

Aw yeah.

Then again, maybe I just like the song.

Also one of the best fusion sequences ever, god I love that machine.

I have too many favorite moments in mecha, though one I haven't seen here yet is the fight scenes in VOTOMS. I can't find a specific clip but I really love the jungle fights.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bendigeidfran posted:

What are your favorites, btw?

I mostly asked because I was having difficulty thinking about it, and I like to learn more about cinematography - what makes good fight choreography and the like, and how it applies to non-human combatants. Banagher going loco on Frontal in Episode Three of Gundam Unicorn is very impressive, and so are eps 6, 15, and 18 of Gundam Build Fighters. I was mentally ruling out the Evangelion options because they're robot (for a given definition of 'robot') versus monster rather than robot versus robot, but Rebuild Sahaquiel is quite a spectacle.

KoB
May 1, 2009
As said above, Shin Getter vs G is a good one. GaoGaiGar vs GaoFighGar, the final battle of GGG proper, Genesic GGG vs Palparepa, Build Fighters - Build Strike vs Zaku amazing, Star BS vs Fellini, Kaempfer Amazing vs the Renalto bros is good too.

Gunbuster is obvious. I thought the movie version of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann really improved upon the final battle which was already pretty dang great.

But all those have been mentioned it looks like.

God Gundam vs Dragon Gundam during the 2nd half of G Gundam is one of my favorites.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpe15cS05L8

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The fact they hosed with this fight is the worst part of the movies imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Surprised no ones mentioned the fight between GaoGaiGar and Zonuda from the regular end of the show, that's always been a good one for sheer brutality and lack of stock footage.

The climax of Dai-Guard is another good one but that's in sort of the same grey area as the eva fights mentioned, though it is a microcosm of what makes the mecha action in dai-guard so damned good.

Its a bit of an ask given its a 50 episode series and 4 episodes of the OVA, but BOTH of the gryphon fights from Patlabor are some of the best robot on robot fights ever conceived. There's something to be said for punching someone in the head so much that you blunt your own fist.

• Locked thread