Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

A Darker Porpoise posted:

You're the best! :3:

Added to OP :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

A x x x
B x x x
C x
D x x
E
A/B x
B/D x

Pretty wide range here.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
A

Even if the camp is doomed, I want to be in a position to evac our command staff.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If we have any allies that need rescuing then I would be ok with switching to A to pick them up, but if it is a case of landing so we can assist in the fighting then B.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

A
whyyy not

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
A/B.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
A, but not letting any moss grow. What did Athena say would happen to loiterers? No loitering.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Today’s Music: False Pretense by God Module

Thats how you get ants!

You circled the shuttles down slowly, watching the ground with a predator’s eyes. The traffic that was so familiar to the base had stopped, trucks abandoned or stalled. Many of the bunkers had severe craters, or steel doors that swung lazily on broken hinges. You thought there might have been fires, but the severe winds had cut them down before they could get going.

Your shuttles landed carefully, engines whirring. The back hatches were already deploying before you hit the ground, your vehicles driving out, hitting the concrete at a roll. Your troops were watching about them carefully, turrets rotating, and you couldn’t have been more proud of them. You had the vehicles maintain a perimeter with the shuttles, lending some heavy guns to secure the airfield. Meanwhile, you and your dismounts sprinted to your HQ.

It was bizarrely quiet, with none of the foot traffic you had come to expect. The vault door to your HQ opened as you approached, and your Kriegers rushed in to secure the first room. After a moment, they gave the hand signal for all clear, and you followed, your dismounts following behind you. Inside, Skade and De La Torres were looking up at you, faces pale. They were holding autorifles close to their bodies.

“Skade, what’s going on? Where is everyone?”

“WAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!”

Skade looked at you, lips tight. “Orks, boss. The Orks are here.”

Changed my mind, noncanon

Loel fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 21, 2015

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

"That's it?"

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

HiHo ChiRho posted:

"That's it?"

+1

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ive been building this plotline up for 6 months and Im going to have my orks :colbert:

Anyway, the reveal is that the meat beasts are squigs. Haha!

I think I might have the Nallani having defeated them during the storm. But still, you have about a million squigs in play.

Loel fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 21, 2015

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
'Ere we go!

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Ive been building this plotline up for 6 months and Im going to have my orks :colbert:

Anyway, the reveal is that the meat beasts are squigs. Haha!

I think I might have the Nallani having defeated them during the storm. But still, you have about a million squigs in play.

If we have enough murder servitor parts to make a complete one, can we also pick up a hair squig as well to go with a hideous looking denim members only jacket?

I wonder if the fusion bombs are still lying around, otherwise we can pick one up, grab a bunch of squigs and do a larger version of this:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Kegslayer posted:

If we have enough murder servitor parts to make a complete one, can we also pick up a hair squig as well to go with a hideous looking denim members only jacket?

I wonder if the fusion bombs are still lying around, otherwise we can pick one up, grab a bunch of squigs and do a larger version of this:

Sure, we can say there are some hair squigs around.

From IRC:

I was making the squig spores into gretchen
which is why having a meat beast was 'good luck'
the gretchen were fixing things
I figured they would spawn orks if not nobs
but the tempo of the story is off
Im happy to write it off as flavor text that didn't turn into the plot line I expected, that happens sometimes

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

02:12 HiHoChiRho create a p2p decentralized network
02:12 HiHoChiRho supported by a hadoop storage clusters
02:13 Grognan our personal darknet
02:13 Grognan I like it
02:13 HiHoChiRho no one lab is fully functional
02:14 HiHoChiRho all need another part to function
02:14 HiHoChiRho but each can swap to fufill anothers needs AS NEEDED

Basically for the above to happen: - It's obvious that one secret location is found out easily enough. What we need are multiple redundant hideouts to help with our research. There needs to be many to confound investigators, redundancy to factor in locations being found, and many of them because the research can't be done all in one location on the ship. There can be an overall decentralized network with one overall programmed research structure to handle the processing. Any results are spread out across locations and one needs the encryption to access the results

In this particular case, the Magos is deposited in location 1. Ohone starts the research process in her personal quarters. Sections 2-18 handle the recording of all evidence and memories, 19-40 handle research. Limosa raids sections 8, 24 and 37. In this case Limosa gets only the parts processed at those locations, not the full information.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
So Squids aren't common enough that the average guardsman would know the association with Orks? Don't we have meat beasts on the ship as well?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Oasx posted:

So Squids aren't common enough that the average guardsman would know the association with Orks? Don't we have meat beasts on the ship as well?

Yeah, I was thinking that they would know Orks, but not the food supply (squigs).

And yes, yes you do :D

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Squigs are a boring sideplot. Lets see a main plot post.

We didn’t want ants

You circled the shuttles down slowly, watching the ground with a predator’s eyes. The traffic that was so familiar to the base had stopped, trucks abandoned or stalled. Many of the bunkers had severe craters, or steel doors that swung lazily on broken hinges. You thought there might have been fires, but the severe winds had cut them down before they could get going.

Your shuttles landed carefully, engines whirring. The back hatches were already deploying before you hit the ground, your vehicles driving out, hitting the concrete at a roll. Your troops were watching about them carefully, turrets rotating, and you couldn’t have been more proud of them. You had the vehicles maintain a perimeter with the shuttles, lending some heavy guns to secure the airfield. Meanwhile, you and your dismounts sprinted to your HQ.

It was bizarrely quiet, with none of the foot traffic you had come to expect. The vault door to your HQ opened as you approached, and your Kriegers rushed in to secure the first room. After a moment, they gave the hand signal for all clear, and you followed, your dismounts following behind you. Inside, Skade glanced up at you.

“Hey boss. You won’t believe what you missed.”
“Likewise. What happened?”
“Ork infestation.”
You blinked. “What?”
“Yup. The meat-beasts turned out to be squigs. During the storm a bunch of Orks spawned, we spent the better part of 72 hours putting them down.”
“Get them all?”
“Not yet. Just part of the local wildlife now.”
“Where’d the squigs come from?”
“Nobody knows. Its handy you put Sincera aboard ship, she probably would have accused a Lord High Marshal by now.”
You laughed. “Fair enough. Anything else going on?”
“The troops responded pretty well. Newborn orks aren’t really good at fighting entrenched heavy weapon nests. It’s pulled them together nicely.”
“Sounds good. I want to check some of the stuff we got, let me know if anything happens.”
“You got it boss.”

It was good to be back.

-

Carefully, carefully, you took out the Data Slate from the acquired research materials. Lab scans hadn’t revealed any hilarious traps on it, but you were operating it through a separate room and a Stryxis-servitor. If you were a Magos, you would put some vicious Black Ice in everything you owned. In your opinion, it was a sign of how weak she was or had become, that you could go through her equipment like this.

The data slate didn’t even have highest level crypto, for Terra’s sake.

Research notes of Magos Angelika Desparrois.

[Much of the log is corrupted. Recoverable notes stretch a period of decades. They are listed in chronological order, oldest first]

The Olympus is magnificent. Strangely, however, it seems entirely lacking in crew. I checked the weapon systems, and there aren’t even any pulleys to load the cannon. I am having trouble seeing how the mechanisms work, or where the crew is.

I haven’t found any crew quarters at all. Did the Dark Age keep them sleeping in hallways? There is so much we don’t know.

… I think this ship was operated by Iron Men. Humans couldn’t work in a place like this.

I can’t do all of this myself. I need to modify the machines so organics can use them. Also, I need some organics.

I’ve collected some underhive dregs and gangers. They were eager enough for the chance to come aboard, but they seem to have trouble with authority.

By the Omnissiah, they are worthless. They can’t understand the most basic Rituals.

I made them all into servitors. They are still useless.

I’ve taken to selling Chimeras to the nobles in exchange for workers. The shame!

The worker’s didn’t like being told they could never leave. Wastrels.

I made them into servitors too. They are useless.

Maybe xeno organics can run some of the interim machines. Ill make them servitors just to be safe. (editors note: This matches the date when she implanted the xeno tissue in herself)

That’s working wonderfully. I’ll make more.

The local gangs have declared war on me. Their expressions when they saw their friends as servitors was most delightful.

I’ll expand the range of xeno production. Im adding in a viral code in case they become too independent.

Bwhahah, look at those organics run! Xeno-servitors are amazing.

.. I need more biomatter to supplement the ship. I’ve run out of gangers.

I’ll expand the range of production.

[What follows is genotypes of two dozen tyranid species, adapted for local conditions. Highlighted are strands for modifications of other worlds, and one strand that describes fatal chemical interactions.]

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Oooh, chemical weapons data! We should sell that to the Guard post-haste. Or just manufacture weapons based on it and sell those directly.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ralith posted:

Oooh, chemical weapons data! We should sell that to the Guard post-haste. Or just manufacture weapons based on it and sell those directly.
Now, now, let's think about this for a second.

If we sell that bioweapons data to the guard, it'll be a great help in this conflict, but then the 'Nids will adapt to it and it'll be useless in the future. But if we keep it for ourselves, or even give it to the Magos... well, it'd be a nice trump card.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Time to be a good little puppy and get this info back to the Magos like we were told to do! :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ralith posted:

Orrrrr....

Serious vote time.

Option One. Sell the virals to the IG. The 'nids will be destroyed and the planet will be saved. The Crusade will get back on track. Explaining where you might find the virus might be tricky though. (The virus will only work on these lab grown nids)

Option Two Let the 'nids have the planet. Exterminatus will follow in ~4 weeks. The Sector will have a dramatic loss, but you could set a trap for Limosa with high odds of success. You'll want to evacuate your people and the hive caps. +2 profit factor.

A: Give files to Magos as promised
B: Destroy them
C Claim they were destroyed, keep them
D: Keep, modify or delete some (what?) then hand the rest over

Do you tell anyone about Athena?
Yes (who?)
No

Loel fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 21, 2015

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
One

quote:

D: The Magos' instructions were to make a copy and destroy the original. We will make two copies. The first copy will be the one we will give to the Magos. The portions of the log involving Athena will be corrupted beyond retrieval. It will reveal that the Magos decided to fuse herself with the Tyranids for reasons unknown to us. The second copy--- and be sure it's the second, in case the Magos can somehow tell that something was taken off the dataslate before we give him his version---- will be the full file, for our purposes.

No.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

2 Who cares about this planet, it just makes the crusade next door need more outside assistance from us. A vote for 2 is a vote for PROFIT later and now.
D Modify stuff or keep it but I'm tired so other people can figure it out. :v:
No Dear Omnissiah no we'll be lynched if anyone finds out we unshackled an AI and let it loose on the universe.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Regarding options one and two, I want to bring the virals to the Magos first, and then suggest the option of selling them back to the IG. The Magos' input should influence our decision here.

D: The Magos' instructions were to make a copy and destroy the original. We will make two copies. The first copy will be the one we will give to the Magos. The portions of the log involving Athena will be corrupted beyond retrieval. It will reveal that the Magos decided to fuse herself with the Tyranids for reasons unknown to us. The second copy--- and be sure it's the second, in case the Magos can somehow tell that something was taken off the dataslate before we give him his version---- will be the full file, for our purposes.

And we do not tell anyone about Athena.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Option One - We can make a good profit from selling the virals. It would be an incredible act of evil to let the Tyranids get the planet just so we can kill Limosa.

A/Yes - Give the Magos all the files, but keep a copy for ourselves. Tell him everything about the ship, because it should be taken out sooner rather than later.

Tell the appropriate people that we have Squigs on the ship, and what their relationship is with Orks.

Oasx fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 21, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
One, D per JT Jag, No

How would it work to claim that the weapons are the original research of our Magos?

Ralith fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 21, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

Regarding options one and two, I want to bring the virals to the Magos first, and then suggest the option of selling them back to the IG. The Magos' input should influence our decision here.

This is a smart plan

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
We could also just straight up tell everyone that the 'nids here are home-grown, and that we got these weapon designs off the corpse of the heretek who grew them. Claim we have no idea where the lab is, hope nobody looks too hard.

e: Third option: Just tell the guard that we've determined through original research that the Tyranids will adapt to this, but it should be effective for just long enough to clear the planet.

I support not going over the Magos's head with this unless the Magos wants to let the planet die, in which case we have no other option.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 21, 2015

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

I'm a dummy - what would our trap for Limosa look like?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Ralith posted:

We could also just straight up tell everyone that the 'nids here are home-grown, and that we got these weapon designs off the corpse of the heretek who grew them. Claim we have no idea where the lab is, hope nobody looks too hard.
I'd really rather we send all this information up the chain of command first. Hopefully they're smart enough to realize that this is a money-making opportunity.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

JT Jag posted:

I'd really rather we send all this information up the chain of command first. Hopefully they're smart enough to realize that this is a money-making opportunity.
If at all possible, yeah, but if the Magos makes the wrong call we need to go over their head.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Brownview posted:

I'm a dummy - what would our trap for Limosa look like?

Speculatively? It would probably involve your elder stone as bait. We'd do a little mini arc before the exterminatus and see if he bites.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

LowellDND posted:

Speculatively? It would probably involve your elder stone as bait. We'd do a little mini arc before the exterminatus and see if he bites.
Get someone who knows someone who knows Limosa to tell him there's an eldar stone on planet, something that could be verified if his agents checked, but there's psychic defenses around it which necessitates him going himself.

Get the Beast to take off while he's on planet.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Option 2 feels the Rogue Trader-iest. The rest as below:

JT Jag posted:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

1 x x x
2 x x
Ask Magos x x

A x
B
C
D x x x x x, x

Yes x
No x x x x x, x

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Sell the data = profit = family influence

Give the data in some form to the Magos = Magos/Tech Priest(?) influence

Inquisition influence is mostly damage control at this point. Maybe some positive influence from revealing that it is home grown and that we wiped out the source? This might be possible in combination with either of the other two options.

I am going with D/No for now.

We need family influence, but this now represents a one time profit unless there is some sort of royalty scheme that is incredibly good on it. It does not constitute a major heist. Plus, hey... Look we got some denim?

Also Limosa knew something about all this. Why did he know we would want to take this mission?

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Changing my 2 vote to ask the magos

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
1, D, No: The Olympus and Athena are Ohone's future. We must not let anyone else learn of it before we're ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Nah, grab Limosa, if we can. He could be useful later, as a figurehead.