Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Box of cat5e showed up today.

They shipped it in the retail box... complete with the wire hanging out. :stare: They just put a small piece of packing tape over the wire. I'm sure UPS loved that. Still, $40 (shipped) for 1000 ft of cat5e 24 gauge solid core isn't exactly terrible. CCA instead of solid copper, but I won't have any runs long enough where that will matter (the longest will probably be 100 ft, tops).

HotCanadianChick posted:

I have one uncle who's going pattern bald in his fifties. No other man in my family (even my grandparents) has a bald spot (though it seems the men in the family all get a bit of a widow's peak as we get older). Also we all go grey at the temples early; all my uncles have white temples, as do I. (I'm only 8 years younger than my youngest uncle, and far older than any of my male cousins, so it's the most direct comparison).

I've got a lot of grey at the temples as well, though hair dye makes short work of that.

I have an uncle who's only a few years older than me, and he's completely bald, save for a few stray hairs. I found a family photo with him when he was around 18-20 (I was 14 in the same photo), and he already had a receding hairline.

kastein posted:

I wish I could donate some hair to you guys because it keeps showing up in places I don't want it and I'm not amused. I shouldn't have crazy hair on my ears at 28, dammit. Or on the tip of my nose for that matter, I have to yank those ones out once in a while.

Haha, join the club. Whenever I see a nose on my hair I just shave it the next time I bother to shave (it's been about 2 weeks so far though.. itching like crazy, I'll probably bother sometime next week).

:stare:

Darchangel posted:

Dammit, I was going to post pretty much the same thing. Snooze/lose, I guess.

I can't think of a reasonably easy way to bring a bunch of cables through the ceiling that would seal out the attic well. You need something like a firewall gasket on a car. You could come down the wall a bit and use a brush plate, but that would involve drilling holes in the top plate, of course. A brush plate might work OK in the ceiling, but I don't see it keeping crap in/out well.

Plenty of hair, 45. :smug: :smug:
Not that I had anything to do with it. Thank you genetics. 'Course it's all going salt and pepper already.

I think I'll go ahead and bite the bullet and bring them into the wall. Not something I wanted to really do, but I think I can probably bring them in through the side wall of the closet pretty easily (the back wall shares a wall with the den, which has much higher ceilings with a bunch of insulation between the studs; the other wall isn't easily accessible from the attic).

I've got my share of salt and pepper now too, but I'm too vain to let it show (hair dye to the rescue). Course, it's usually under a hat anyway, since it's getting to be a bit on the long side (that awkward stage between "medium length" and "metal as gently caress").

Looks a lot like the Rover in The Gods Must Be Crazy.

Tide posted:

One positive is that I don't have much body hair. Except long rear end curlies around my nipples :barf:

I blame it on the 1/32nd Native American blood.

An ex bf of mine is 1/4 Cherokee (both his mom and dad are 1/4 Cherokee, the rest is Heinz 57).

Maybe a bit TMI, but the only body hair he has is on his legs (barely any at all) and crotchbush, and very little facial hair. No chest hair, no arm hair, not even armpit hair. No shaving or other hair removal involved; I've known him since he was 15, we lived together for a couple of years as well, so I think I'd notice if he was shaving (he turns 33 this year, we still hang out now and then).

I'm a little jealous of most of the lack of body hair, I'm basically Sasquatch (and hate it). If I bothered trimming any of it, it would have to be a twice a day ritual.

The long rear end curly nipple hair started showing up when I was 14 :cripes: - dad's side of the family gets a thick beard and a full head of hair, but (except for 1 cousin) not a ton of body hair. Mom's side gets it everywhere except on their head. Thank gently caress I don't have back hair, and at least on my mom's side, no male has made it past 30 before losing most of their hair. Both my mom and her sister have lost a lot of hair and have receding hairlines, though mom had surgery to help with it. I'm still rocking a full head of hair at 36, but I know it won't last. Which is why I'm growing it back out for one last time. :black101:

I'm not all that familiar with my own ancestry - I know there's English, French Canadian, and Irish for sure (I know my mom's side of the family originated in England). Likely a bit of Scottish too, as my last name is Dunbar (which has Scottish origins). I should probably pry that info out of my parents at some point.

Tide posted:

Another guy on my Dad's side was beheaded by one of his slaves that swung down from a tree with an axe (or so the story goes) as he was going to town on his wagon.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but genealogy is kinda cool.

One of my mom's cousins disappeared sometime in the 1980s, somewhere in New Mexico. Nobody has ever been able to figure out what happened to him (his car was eventually found in the desert), but he's the only other (known) gay person on either side of my family.

And yeah, I'm getting a lot more interested in my own genealogy. I know both my mom and aunt have both done a lot of work tracing their family back. I know my grandfather on my dad's side was a bomber pilot, and took out several planes during Pearl Harbor, but he's never really talked to me much about him (the only reason I know that much is a combination of what my mom has told me, and some framed newspaper articles in my dad's guest bedroom).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

leica posted:

Got this in the mail today, all is right with the world now :)

Anyone recommend a good steering wheel that will work with this?

I know this is a few pages back but... I was considering getting this game. I have a hori steering wheel/pedal combo I could use with it. I want to check it out but I was wondering how you liked it and if you played it with the regular ps3 controller.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Someone threw out a motorcycle. I guess it didn't fit in the "metals" container...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think the best part of having a birthday is the crazy number of "Happy Birthdays" you get from car forums you no longer post on.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

bolind posted:

Someone threw out a motorcycle. I guess it didn't fit in the "metals" container...

Save it! It looks so sad.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I kind of want to, but I haven't got time, space, or knowledge to do something about it. I'm considering yanking the engine and tearing it down just for fun, but the prudent thing would be to first check the VIN on it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I think the best part of having a birthday is the crazy number of "Happy Birthdays" you get from car forums you no longer post on.

You have the same birthday as Alan Trammel, feel glad

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

driguy posted:

I know this is a few pages back but... I was considering getting this game. I have a hori steering wheel/pedal combo I could use with it. I want to check it out but I was wondering how you liked it and if you played it with the regular ps3 controller.

Totally worth the 30 bucks and is a really fun game once you figure out how to navigate the drat game because it's in Japanese. It took me awhile to get through the main screen because button commands are backwards (O is select, X is cancel) except for text entry screens which follow the default commands of your PS3 so it was a bit frustrating until I figured it out. I ended up finding translated directions online later, it would help anyone else that plans on getting it:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/initial_d_extreme_stage_trans.txt

I've been using the controller so far and it's been fine, but I recently just received a logitech steering wheel/pedals from ToolShack, and I can't wait to try it out.

If you're a fan of Initial D or racing games in general it's a must have.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah for some reason all the Japanese games swap the meanings of X and O. Sometimes you get one released in the states without having that changed and it really screws your head up.

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!
Cool man. I will pick it up then. Cheers.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah for some reason all the Japanese games swap the meanings of X and O. Sometimes you get one released in the states without having that changed and it really screws your head up.

Honestly it's more comfortable to press the O button more often. Western audiences clearly can't comprehend the subtle grace of japanese video game design philosophy :japan:.

Also bought the ZX3 today :toot:. Paseo is now on pure auto/rallycross duty where a rustbucket 2000lb (-200lbs from holes, +200lbs from bondo) car belongs. Parts for the ZX3 are so cheap and readily available and it's the best thing ever :911:. Plus the Zetec connecting rods won't explode when subjected to light amounts of forced induction.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 21, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha yeah, when I couldn't get out of the main screen for what seemed like forever I started to wonder if I had a defective game :v:

My son loves it, 7 years old and he's a HUGE Initial D fan. I'm scared what he's gonna do when he starts driving :ohdear:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I bought a Nerf Hammershot last night. Just removed all the air restrictors to get some more distance out of it. Currently painting it black and gold. Thinking about getting a new o-ring for a better seal and maybe reppacing the spring with a better tension rate and a modded hammer so I can cock it back with my thumb easier. Basically I'm gonna destroy my roommates who bought the cheap Buzz Bee Toys dart guns. :getin:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

The Twisted Metal games all use O as the gas and X for handbrake (except for 3 and 4, which were made by a different studio). It's actually way more comfortable to use and I wish more driving games used that layout.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

leica posted:

My son loves it, 7 years old and he's a HUGE Initial D fan. I'm scared what he's gonna do when he starts driving :ohdear:

Why wait to find out? Go karts are cheap, available, and teach valuable driving and racing skills that will make your son a safer driver.

In fact, I would argue that not letting your son drive anything with a motor as much as possible is borderline child abuse.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I bought a Nerf Hammershot last night. Just removed all the air restrictors to get some more distance out of it. Currently painting it black and gold. Thinking about getting a new o-ring for a better seal and maybe reppacing the spring with a better tension rate and a modded hammer so I can cock it back with my thumb easier. Basically I'm gonna destroy my roommates who bought the cheap Buzz Bee Toys dart guns. :getin:

All I can think of when I hear about Nerf wars is this post - http://imgur.com/gallery/OWS0F

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Check it first, hell it might have the title or bill of sale taped to it or something, maybe someone just doesn't want to deal with it anymore.

Rhyno posted:

I use this to figure out which forums I need to update my email address on.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why wait to find out? Go karts are cheap, available, and teach valuable driving and racing skills that will make your son a safer driver.

In fact, I would argue that not letting your son drive anything with a motor as much as possible is borderline child abuse.

Not cheap enough unfortunately, there aren't any tracks close by, and I work on weekends. Once he gets older and when I no longer work the weekends I'm gonna start auto and rally crossing the Miata with him so he gets a feel for the car, then I'll let him take over once he's 16.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Speaking of Nerf, I got one of these footballs and it's loving awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzUU5EqNDGg

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Haha nice. I sanded the plastic and used plastic spray paint but a couple spots don't seem to be taking on coat #2. They also make automatic Nerf guns that run on batteriss. They have all kinds of power mods, it's funny as hell.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Delivering Tofu ITT

Thanks ToolShack!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.naderlibrary.com/icouldtellyou.ack.htm Cortesy of yospos heres a collection of a shitload of declassified black ops taskforce patches.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Lost my Bondo virginity today. I'm testing the waters on the roll-on Rustoleum "$50 paint job" (I'm about $150 into in already, because I want to do things right thus I'm buying all sorts of poo poo) by re-painting my spare trunk lid. It had a dent, so I filled it. Bondo spreads and fills easier than I expected, but holy gently caress it gets everywhere... gloves, pants, workbench, all over the sides of the can, etc.

Also, it takes for-loving-ever to sand off old paint with 100-grit.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

If I start the car with the door up the windshield wipers will turn on and refuse to turn off.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Fart Pipe posted:

Looks like they do a bunch of them over the winter but its the wrong time of year for me to spend $300 on one day of fun. Next year Ill know to plan ahead. If you like it then you should try some rallycross days. Its much less expensive, usually 60-80 bucks for a day. Only thing that sucks about that is you spend half the time marshalling but its still super fun.

Yeah it was great. I did get a bit of damage but it was mostly my bumper cover that already needed to be replaced after cracking it pulling into my friend's narrow driveway. Between ruts/potholes that form in the track and burying your car in snow banks it's not the most friendly to plastic bumpers and air dams. Also Ford decided not to put any tow hooks on the Fiesta so it was more difficult to get my car unstuck the two times it happened. Overall a really fun time I will do it next year with whatever car I own then.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Went to the Race Retro show today (as the name kinda implies, it's a historic motorsport show), which every year has a rally display stage outside to compliment all the shiny and static stuff on display inside. Thought I'd chuck some highlights up on here:

Bwbwbwbwbwbwbw...hufffffff - Audi Quattro A2 doing its thing.

Lotus Cortina Mk1

Mini Clubman/Cooper S hybrid being chased by its massively-spoiler-ed younger brother

The world's most unlikely Group A rally car, but one of the best sounding - a Rover 3500 Vitesse :britain:

Vauxhall Chevette HS :fap: in usual tail-out pose

Why yes, that is a Lotus Esprit rally car...

Take a Vauxhall Viva coupe, add the 302 V8 from a Camaro Z28 and you have a Chevrolet Firenza :syoon:

What's that sense of middling disappointment that's suddenly come over me? Oh, it's a TR7

Gotta have a Mini Cooper S in red with a white roof and with rally spots at every British motorsport event, it's the law

Mmmmm....a Datsun in orange, gold and brown.

Talbot Lotus Sunbeam demonstrating some serious squat

It's the MG Metro 6R4, the car where the spoilers have spoilers on them!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Comrade Flynn posted:

If I start the car with the door up the windshield wipers will turn on and refuse to turn off.

Italiancars.txt :italy:

That has to be one of the stranger electrical problems I've heard of.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Comrade Flynn posted:

Yeah, those crazy Italians

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Das Volk posted:

It's so strange I can't even be mad.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Comrade Flynn posted:

:italy:

drat that looks like a good time. Where did that take place?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Das Volk posted:

Solution: remove the wiper arms and then pull the relay for the motor. Or are you planning on driving the car in the rain?

E: Oh, you live in Seattle. Nevermind.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you lost one arm and one leg, what type of 'plegic would that make you?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Raluek posted:

Solution: remove the wiper arms and then pull the relay for the motor. Or are you planning on driving the car in the rain?

E: Oh, you live in Seattle. Nevermind.

Hey man today was actually sunny.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

If you lost one arm and one leg, what type of 'plegic would that make you?

Hemiplegic?

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Comrade Flynn posted:

So it begins...

My dad's 92 Sonoma had a weird bug where if you activated the turn signal, the wipers would come on. At least that was obviously a problem with the signal stalk. Your problem is just fuckin weird, man.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
So 21 gallon 2.5 horsepower air compressors are on sale at Harbor Freight for $165. Picked one up with the two year warranty for another $40. So excited.

Air tools are awesome.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

In a rare moment of happiness, I just tied up an old loose end from my youth that I've been stressing over lately, and it turns out all was well and I was worrying over nothing.

FEELS GOOD MAN

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Starting to pack for the new house... OH GOD I HAVE SO MUCH loving CRAP!!!!!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sitting here, roughly one hour left in my birthday and I'm honestly stressing over breaking a 15 year tradition of going to the same bar on this day. I don't know if I'd be mor disappointed with myself if I broke the bar streak or my 7 weeks of sobriety.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you're trying to stay sober going to a bar over fear of breaking a tradition is stupid and just an excuse to "fall" off the wagon.

[e] Unless you can go to the bar and not be tempted to drink alcohol.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Bought a car that sounded good when i test drove and picked it up. Oops!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4xNSvb-Leg

• Locked thread