Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

solaranus posted:

Really what the the hell do atheists talk about? Their entire ideology consists of pretending a major part of their symbolic reality is not worthy of exploring on the premise of it's "not real", yet it moves mountains. Give some credit to the guys, they were only a couple hundred years separated from having to fight off big cats with wooden sticks and stone, and yet they managed to forge communities of tens of thousands of people with these ideas.

There's a big difference between atheists and anti-theists.

Atheists are functionally the same as agnostics, with the difference being their opinions on God will flip when presented with evidence to one way or the other. Which is pretty much impossible to prove either way, really.

Anti-theists never shut up about not believing in God. They often call themselves atheists but they are not. They are tremendous assholes about it.

Atheists are actually pretty cool people, most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Sometimes you also get some Atheist country which is cool as hell because its not "My reason shows me there is no god ergo" but rather "my life is such a consistently miserable experience that I find the notion of a loving higher power intolerable" and that is basically peak country.

Whoa. I've heard this old country song.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

solaranus posted:

Really what the the hell do atheists talk about? Their entire ideology consists of pretending a major part of their symbolic reality is not worthy of exploring on the premise of it's "not real", yet it moves mountains. Give some credit to the guys, they were only a couple hundred years separated from having to fight off big cats with wooden sticks and stone, and yet they managed to forge communities of tens of thousands of people with these ideas.

atheism is a LACK of belief not an ideology, i wish people would get that through their thick skulls. it involves no positive claims at all. NONE. i simply LACK a belief in god bc of no evidence. i mean, do u call people who dont believe in zeus or the fsm 'azeusists' or 'aflyingspaghettimonsterists'? nope. you dont

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Hey nerds! I don't think I'm an atheist any more. I think I'm I a deist now.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

God's just a fictional character put into your head by pre-existing stories like Goku, Superman, Alexander, etc.

Believe nothing except what you see then also realize your eyes can't be trusted.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Hey nerds! I don't think I'm an atheist any more. I think I'm I a deist now.

That is a good one to be congratulations!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

solaranus posted:

*decries global poverty* *becomes missionary*

*exposed to Pascal's wager* *doesn't continue to alienate themselves from 90% of the world*

lol good ones man, you really got em good dude

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
what's it called when you've entirely given up on the argument because it's literally pointless?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
when you show me physical evidence of gods existence then i'll completely change my position and believe in god. that's what scientists do. when their theory is disproved they are HAPPY ABOUT it and they congratulate the person who proved them wrong. ever seen a priest do that? nope, you havent.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

what's it called when you've entirely given up on the argument because it's literally pointless?
jaded

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
y'all cowards don't even smoke crack

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
wow we've reached a point where d&d has people disagreeing and gbs is all calling people mra atheist fedora bronies, good reversal guys

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rhetoric.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bored

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

gary oldmans diary posted:

y'all cowards don't even smoke crack

they cut that poo poo to hard

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang posted:

when you show me physical evidence of gods existence then i'll completely change my position and believe in god. that's what scientists do. when their theory is disproved they are HAPPY ABOUT it and they congratulate the person who proved them wrong. ever seen a priest do that? nope, you havent.
i could see a priest who's not insane garbage do that, but

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quakster posted:

i could see a priest who's not insane garbage do that, but

men are attracted to female's tits because tits look like butts

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Orkin Mang posted:

truth

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang posted:

tits also can give food to babby. a tit; its good

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
are we talking about tits and asses because I really like those

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tits also look like tits and sometimes, often, are awesome.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

me too brother

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

they're pretty good

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Orkin Mang posted:

Haha, scientists can be far more petty assholes than your average priest.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

solaranus posted:

sorry but thats not how science works. maybe they get angry but its not because of science. give me one example of someone doing something bad and it's because of science. religion, i could name literally thousands; the inquisition, galileo, how the dark ages destroyed everything from rome and greece (destroyed all the science that was just getting going), snopes trial, that hitler was actually CATHOLIC which is why the church was on his side, i mean, need i go on?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

solaranus posted:

they both max out on the same level of petty, being part of the same species and all

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

gary oldmans diary posted:

pascals wager lol
pretend to believe a god exists for no other reason than why not and pick a random one that you can trace the roots of as a man made creation
because picking what is almost certainly the wrong god according to the same logic pascals wager stands on and living according to those fake religious practices would be any better to a real god than just living your life well
"christian philosopher" :jerkbag:

Sounds like u just got trolled

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lets not forget slavery of africans. dont give me that stuff about christians stopping it. yeah,they used the language of religion but it was not because they were religious they stopped it, but because they were just nice people with commonsense understanding

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Orkin Mang posted:

sorry but thats not how science works. maybe they get angry but its not because of science. give me one example of someone doing something bad and it's because of science. religion, i could name literally thousands; the inquisition, galileo, how the dark ages destroyed everything from rome and greece (destroyed all the science that was just getting going), snopes trial, that hitler was actually CATHOLIC which is why the church was on his side, i mean, need i go on?

Sounds like you've got a pretty solid grasp on history.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Orkin Mang posted:

I get the feeling you don't actually know what science means or what its boundaries are

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
when you show me evidence for god, reproducible in a lab, peer reviewed, i'll believe it. full stop.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Orkin Mang posted:

Where did this even come from, anyway? Like it takes 2 seconds to realize that boobs don't, in fact, look like butts at all if they're just hanging there. And we sort of evolved before push up bras and corsets existed.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Orkin Mang posted:

when you show me evidence for god, reproducible in a lab, peer reviewed, i'll believe it. full stop.

Hmmmmm your love of science seems almost, oh what's the word I am looking for.... Fundamentalist??

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Candiru posted:

Where did this even come from, anyway? Like it takes 2 seconds to realize that boobs don't, in fact, look like butts at all if they're just hanging there. And we sort of evolved before push up bras and corsets existed.

evolution says that everything has a purpose that makes us adapt to passing on our genetics throughout the generations. therefore, i mean, butts are what you see when your passing on your seed, its what gets us down there in the first place, because thats where the female vagina is. to trick men with inferior genetics into not having sex with them women grew tits so the man just cums on those without knowing she just washes it off and moves on to find a real man, with butch dna. that's just science

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I believe in science and science is never static.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Pascals wager says that if you're being purely rational then you would believe in god and if you don't then its due to irrational feelings otherwise do you get the joke yet

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mange Mite posted:

Yeah no evolution doesn't say that

is that u pope francis lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Evolution doesn't say jack poo poo bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
having grown up atheist in the bible belt having people witness to me pretty regularly, i was not at all ready when a dude in seattle tried to witness atheism to me while reassuring me that he was "only offering me the truth"

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 22, 2015

• Locked thread