Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

hang on folks

is this thread good yet??

e: a good start for a new page. come on friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

gary oldmans diary posted:

+1 hour spent in church
oh good an improvement i connected with the beliefs of ancient middle eastern people for historical value less than that what wouldve been acquired in an hour of a lecture at uni
which is the excuse used when the actual reason people go to church is to continually reinforce the conditioning you received since you were a child and any modern church is just what any cult looks like after x thousand years

*takes thread very seriously*

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Agag posted:

Because New Atheism is a Trojan horse for white supremacism. hth

Until you scientifically prove to me that muds deseerve rights I'm not going to humor your irrational bullshit that's dragging this country bsack into the stone age

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Praise Jesus

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Orkin Mang posted:

sorry but thats not how science works. maybe they get angry but its not because of science. give me one example of someone doing something bad and it's because of science. religion, i could name literally thousands; the inquisition, galileo, how the dark ages destroyed everything from rome and greece (destroyed all the science that was just getting going), snopes trial, that hitler was actually CATHOLIC which is why the church was on his side, i mean, need i go on?

I don't think Mengele, or unit 731 were experiments for the church. The anit-jew propaganda was nearly entirely couched in scientific rhetoric. How about that guy who starved half of Russia because he really did believe you could grow poo poo in winter, and had the science to prove it even though everyone called bullshit?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Coolie Ghost posted:

god gay, so what

mods?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

solaranus posted:

I don't think Mengele, or unit 731 were experiments for the church. The anit-jew propaganda was nearly entirely couched in scientific rhetoric. How about that guy who starved half of Russia because he really did believe you could grow poo poo in winter, and had the science to prove it even though everyone called bullshit?

you're forgetting that sort of behaviour is not science, that's the religious emotions coming through

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

chyeah, blow up the spot
cause it's 731 on a motherfuckin cop

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang posted:

the theory of natural selection involves the notion of 'selection for...' which is an intensional process. there are only two kinds of things that have intensions. minds (in the form of intentions) or laws (intensions). the mechanism of natural selection is neither a mind nor a law. while darwin was right about a great many things natural selection involves intensionality and it just can't. it is not a mechanism. sorry
im glad for this mishmash of random words, none of which mean anything. thank you

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quakster posted:

im glad for this mishmash of random words, none of which mean anything. thank you

have a blessed day

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Orkin Mang posted:

you're forgetting that sort of behaviour is not science, that's the religious emotions coming through

Deus Scientiarum Dominus Est :agesilaus:

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Orkin Mang posted:

The purpose of prayer is to remember you're not god yo, you're someone that makes emotional mistakes. A sin is by definition an action coming from emotional weakness with consequences that are harmful to yourself and the community.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

solaranus posted:

The purpose of prayer is to remember you're not god yo, you're someone that makes emotional mistakes. A sin is by definition an action coming from emotional weakness with consequences that are harmful to yourself and the community.

So yoire saying posting is a sin

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Mange Mite posted:

What sort of God would allow posting!?!?!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Agag posted:

What sort of God would allow posting!?!?!

what kind of god wouldn't?

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mange Mite posted:

Yes, that'll be 10 hail Mary's before you can sleep soundly tonight.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

solaranus posted:

Yes, that'll be 10 hail Mary's before you can sleep soundly tonight.

gently caress off catholic

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

solaranus posted:

pretty sure the contemporary motivator for prayers is entitlement and sin is synonymous with "faggotry" in tyool '15

the people who still do things by the book are a dying breed. what christianity's got left are mostly wackjobs using words to manipulate others, like they were magic spells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bntfUA6TmLs

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

gently caress off catholic

Spend the rest of your life as nothing more than a complex bubble of water and calcium on a ball of iron being boiled by a star then

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

solaranus posted:

Spend the rest of your life as nothing more than a complex bubble of water and calcium on a ball of iron being boiled by a star then

I got a lot more than water and calcium in me.
like fat and poo poo
retard

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

solaranus posted:

People do a lot of terrible things that don't have anything to do with emotional weakness.

phobo
Aug 7, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

hell yeah dude :hfive:

but i mean i like butts too, why cant we all just get along

yeah, butts are pretty good too, but boobs are awesome. I'm glad we can get along, friend.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

solaranus posted:

it's fun as gently caress. highly recommended

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i don't want to be rude guys, but i'm the only one who posted booty on this page. we gotta pick up the pace if we want this to be a nice thread.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

BKPR posted:

i don't want to be rude guys, but i'm the only one who posted booty on this page. we gotta pick up the pace if we want this to be a nice thread.

There should be a nice balance between butts and boobs because the answer, you see, is in the middle.

... better post some nice tummies, too.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I give thumbs up to stomachs that make a recovery. There was a joke there, but I lost sight of it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

There should be a nice balance between butts and boobs because the answer, you see, is in the middle.

... better post some nice tummies, too.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

BKPR posted:

hang on folks

is this thread good yet??

e: a good start for a new page. come on friends.

These butts are almost entirely manufactured by the undies being worn.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

Captain Candiru posted:

they are still awesome what's your problem?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
They didn't evolve! They lies!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOPMlIIg_38

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I think a lot of people who believe in evolution also think it has "goals". Like making things better.

But there is no such thing. It's entirely random. There is no agent.

There is no God.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Captain Candiru posted:

it was an emergency booty injection, so i did not have much time to sort for quality.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

Orkin Mang posted:

sorry but thats not how science works. maybe they get angry but its not because of science. give me one example of someone doing something bad and it's because of science. religion, i could name literally thousands; the inquisition, galileo, how the dark ages destroyed everything from rome and greece (destroyed all the science that was just getting going), snopes trial, that hitler was actually CATHOLIC which is why the church was on his side, i mean, need i go on?

Please prove to me that you are a scientist.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
japanese and german scientists

oh and the us after them

i'd still gently caress a scientist over a religious person though

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I still worship the flying teapot meanwhile

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
you may as well worship my cock

that's an invitation

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

you may as well worship my cock

that's an invitation

Nope. I've read The Cock Delusion.

Ogodei_Khan
Feb 28, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

anyone claiming to have discredited iq tests probably was just disappointed with their results my friend

The problem is how people read or interpret what IQ is. The concept came from Alfred Binet in the early 1900s. It was not designed to test how smart you are but designed to test who would benefit from interaction and who could not. All of the tests following Binet's sought to extrapolate how well you could deal with being educated in a certain type of setting. There are still lingering concepts of difference and the value of certain type of abstract thinking over other types of abstract thinking. This pops up especially in weird ways with causal patterns in the ones that have more culture dependent variables. Things like direction of language in reading, visual abilities and other things all influence your score passively. The test and other tests developed in its vein attempt to derive a rate of learning by sampling behaviors, visual discrimination, pattern following ,motor behavior, and other things. Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences was also meant to work in a similar way.You are actually not supposed to rely upon one test alone to figure things out. Diagnosticians often interpret them in line with other things too. The TONI is another test that attempts to acquire IQ solely through pattern recognition and assessing relations in shapes. I know many of these style tests are partially used to help identify things like placement in special education.

Ogodei_Khan fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Ah, another debate about IQ tests. Atheism wasn't sufficiently fedora-sperg, I guess.

• Locked thread