Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Tautologicus posted:

Isnt that hinduism...buddhism was casteless at its inception. Many untouchables convert to buddhism to escape their caste. Saw your next post about the Tibetans though and thats a fair thing to say. But thats centuries after buddhism was created, things always turn to poo poo with time, even the most noble ideas.

Conversely, many ideas seem more noble through a modern lens

Hinduism 4000 years ago probably bears little resemblance to Hinduism today. I mean it is easy to say the religion was created to give the powerful more power, but that doesn't mean the religion hasn't had thousands of years to evolve with devout followers of all social classes reinterpreting it and developing its ideas. However non-neckbeardy that dude thought he was being he was still writing off thousands of years of history.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Stottie Kyek posted:

Muslims get a lot of poo poo from everybody because of Islamic terrorists and the like, but if you're a Buddhist no one ever mentions the genocide of the Rohingya in Burma or the Sri Lankan fascist movements happening right now. They just go "ooh how spiritual", it owns

if they start calling for beheadings on the street and blowing up buses and trains and marathons and nightclubs and shopping centres worldwide maybe they'll also cop some flak.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
taoism is chill as polar bear poo poo, best religion because it's barely a religion. if religion is the opiate of the masses, taoism is a joint of some primo doobage that makes you chill out and ponder cool poo poo instead of nodding out and baking to death inside your car (the car of life)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
People will find a justification to gently caress others up in even the most explicitly peaceful creed. I like Buddhism because it makes a lot of sense and has good advice for living in the real world.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Gatekeeper posted:

taoism is chill as polar bear poo poo, best religion because it's barely a religion. if religion is the opiate of the masses, taoism is a joint of some primo doobage that makes you chill out and ponder cool poo poo instead of nodding out and baking to death inside your car (the car of life)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i was going to enjoy this thread then i realized its a material attachment, voted 1

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Lao Tzu was traveling with his disciples and they came to a forest where hundreds of woodcutters were cutting the trees. The whole forest had been cut except for one big tree with thousands of branches. It was so big that 10,000 persons could sit in its shade.

Lao Tzu asked his disciples to go and inquire why this tree had not been cut. They went and asked the woodcutter and they said, "This tree is absolutely useless. You cannot make anything out of it because every branch has so many knots in it - nothing is straight. You cannot use it as fuel because the smoke is dangerous to the eyes. This tree is absolutely useless, that's why we haven't cut it."

The disciples came back and told Lao Tzu. He laughed said, "Be like this tree. If you are useful you will be cut and you will become furniture in somebody's house. If you are beautiful you will be sold in the market, you will become a commodity. Be like this tree, absolutely useless, and then you will grow big and vast and thousands of people will find shade under you."

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Oberleutnant posted:

Lao Tzu was traveling with his disciples and they came to a forest where hundreds of woodcutters were cutting the trees. The whole forest had been cut except for one big tree with thousands of branches. It was so big that 10,000 persons could sit in its shade.

Lao Tzu asked his disciples to go and inquire why this tree had not been cut. They went and asked the woodcutter and they said, "This tree is absolutely useless. You cannot make anything out of it because every branch has so many knots in it - nothing is straight. You cannot use it as fuel because the smoke is dangerous to the eyes. This tree is absolutely useless, that's why we haven't cut it."

The disciples came back and told Lao Tzu. He laughed said, "Be like this tree. If you are useful you will be cut and you will become furniture in somebody's house. If you are beautiful you will be sold in the market, you will become a commodity. Be like this tree, absolutely useless, and then you will grow big and vast and thousands of people will find shade under you."

I really like this

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

goon way of life is really old

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I have found religion gibbis, now where's my orange toga?

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Keep in mind that Buddhism has different flavors, just like there is not one version of Christianity.

For example the differences between Tibetan Buddhism and Theravada Buddhism are vast.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My friend is into something called Nichiren Buddhism but when I google it I find a bunch of Yahoo Answers questions about whether or not it's a cult. I guess that's not a good sign.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

wa27 posted:

My friend is into something called Nichiren Buddhism but when I google it I find a bunch of Yahoo Answers questions about whether or not it's a cult. I guess that's not a good sign.

Yeah, it's a little cult-y. The whole SGI thing with the Hollywood types in it, to... Cult-y.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Buddhism is the perfect religion for the modern West because it's basically just tells people to be themselves and achieve their own bullshit personal enlightenment.

Oberleutnant posted:

Exactly what is wrong with Buddhism right here.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i think you mean taoism

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Every eastern religion is about learning your role in the social hierarchy.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Miltank posted:

Buddhism is the perfect religion for the modern West because it's basically just tells people to be themselves and achieve their own bullshit personal enlightenment.

Exactly what is wrong with Buddhism right here.

oh sweet, i'm already done

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Miltank posted:

this includes japanese video games

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Oberleutnant posted:

Truly a creed for goons everywhere

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

My favorite thing about buddhism/taoism is that having any earthly desires or ambitions is useless and self-defeating so you might as well just smoke weed under a tree all day. ohm

I mean aside from that they're both super cool

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
buddhism is a good gateway spirituality, there is much more to learn from other traditions as well

Miltank posted:

hmm, no. ill give you confucianism, but hinduism is about understanding that the world is simultaneous one unified being and an infinitely fractured being that operates as a mandala, social hierarchy being an aspect of that mandala-fracturing. saying hinduism is primarily about learning your role in the social hierarchy is disingenuous.

im assuming you were referring to hinduism and confucianism, maybe you were referring to something else though.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

wa27 posted:

yeah i attended a service once and it was really weird and creepy and totally reminded me of the time i had to do catering at the new york celebrity center, all these lame-o scientologists in khakis leering at me and eating chicken marsala only now it was buddhist lame-o's in khakis leering at me while playing with beads

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Miltank posted:

they literally toned down jesus as a revolutionary figure because when the Jewshad an uprising and took back Jerusalem the Romans had a disproportionate response and loving desolated them in one of the most violent suppression the ancient world had ever seen, so they figured that it might be best to underplay his "take back the kingdom of God" stuff lest it happens again

Every religion has a whole lotta learning your role and allowing yourself to be subjugated is what i'm saying, but given the context of the lovely world ancient peasants had to live in, it seems like kinda sound advice

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 23, 2015

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

the buddha watches over me always, as he does you

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Calico Heart posted:

they literally toned down jesus as a revolutionary figure because when the Jewshad an uprising and took back Jerusalem the Romans had a disproportionate response and loving desolated them in one of the most violent suppression the ancient world had ever seen, so they figured that it might be best to underplay his "take back the kingdom of God" stuff lest it happens again

Every religion has a whole lotta learning your role and allowing yourself to be subjugated is what i'm saying, but given the context of the lovely world ancient peasants had to live in, it seems like kinda sound advice

Jesus was Jew Che Guevara.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Buddhism is pretty cool. I like the artwork, lots of nutty gods and demons to go with the philosophy. Way less genocide than average. I mean a few here and there but still way less mass murder than Christianity/Islam/atheism, historically speaking.

Miltank posted:

No, only one: Confucianism.

But we all know the real hierarchy, right? wink wink

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Long live the dictatorship of the meek.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Miltank posted:

Long live the dictatorship of the meek.

What does Calvinist Geneva have to do with Buddhism?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

buddhism is just nihilism for bitch baby betas

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Jesus: Rich people, you better fix your poo poo.

Buddha: Take the lukewarm path to false enlightenment.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Miltank posted:

assuming your favored religion aways has the best answers is a good way to miss out on a lot of really good stuff. don't be a spiritual snob.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Miltank posted:

Its ok, your attitude is an understandable consequence of ignorance.

The Maitreya Buddha is in the heavens right now, preaching to the false gods like Jesus and Yahweh, who will eventually reach enlightenment and abandon their immortality and tyranny.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

my religion says suck my dickhole

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Miltank posted:

Agag posted:

Its ok, your attitude is an understandable consequence of ignorance.

The Maitreya Buddha is in the heavens right now, preaching to the false gods like Jesus and Yahweh, who will eventually reach enlightenment and abandon their immortality and tyranny.

So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

Oberleutnant posted:

Be like this tree, absolutely useless, and then you will grow big and vast and thousands of people will find shade under you."

So a poop-socking WOW player who gets really obese is doing it right basically

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure Lao Tzu is talking about something only a few have done, not the many, so lets try to allow for some nuance in that little story i think

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

Tautologicus posted:

I'm pretty sure Lao Tzu is talking about something only a few have done, not the many, so lets try to allow for some nuance in that little story i think

yeah like just ANYONE can have 5 level 90 players. don't hate because i'm more buddhist than you without trying. (maybe you'd be more buddhist by now if you weren't STRIVING so hard)

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I'm a rich young hipster who went on a spiritual journey to India after realizing that my servants have worse lives than me. In the end, I come to terms with class struggle by deciding that nothing actually matters anyway.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Miltank posted:

lol more like Romans get out of Jerusalem it's ok if they kill you you'll get money in heaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

spooky girlfriend posted:

yeah like just ANYONE can have 5 level 90 players. don't hate because i'm more buddhist than you without trying. (maybe you'd be more buddhist by now if you weren't STRIVING so hard)

same

• Locked thread