Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Orks are great and all but your original style was funnier, more informative, and called out stupid brown sea questions much better. Just my take.

Love the images it spawned though.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Kaludan posted:

Pretty awful. A turret man isn't going to save it either.

gently caress, really? I've installed Arena Commander a couple of times now and tried to fly the Cutlass around and given up in short order.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Cutlass is going to go through a redesign process, you should probably just forget about the current Cutlass.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Design and redesign always the same ships. It seems that they are on purpose making more work then it should be(so they can blame that when we will come to the point of asking "where the gently caress is the PU?").
I understand that given player feedback something can be changed or fixed, but why redesigning ships every time?

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
how exactly do you think games get made? every other dev team just gets really lucky and makes perfect final assets when the game is still in alpha?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well he is halfway right. Though usually the stuff getting scraped/redesigned would not be so pretty. Some part of SC seem to be still in prototype stage, but since it goes out to the public it has to meet a certain visual quality level. I think most people would not be willing to put up with what would essentially be programmer art. Which is all you need when prototyping.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

holy poo poo, can this win some kind of award?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

RattiRatto posted:

Design and redesign always the same ships. It seems that they are on purpose making more work then it should be(so they can blame that when we will come to the point of asking "where the gently caress is the PU?").
I understand that given player feedback something can be changed or fixed, but why redesigning ships every time?

The stages of a CIG design:
Come up with ship. Hype ship on forums.
Make Concept art of ship based entirely on rule of cool - sell this to people.
Find out concept art made no sense because it can't physically fit the specs you told people it'd have. Redesign #1 the ship so it actually can do stuff - sell this to people again.
Find out Redesign #1 doesn't work with the physics because the concept was based entirely on rule of cool - Redesign #2 so it actually flies in the AC. Sell this to people again.
Find out you need entirely different specs for the PU because poo poo needs to be dynamic/the interior is hosed/the one piece of new gameplay you came up with doesn't work with the ship. Send it to Studio 42 for it's Redesign #3. Sell that to people again.

And also add a couple of re-designs when it turned out they needed PBR, damage states, no damage states after all oops, etc.

Seriously, they're still constantly forced to redo ships because the engines are in a hosed up location or you can't see out of the cockpit - because they are monetizing every bit of concept art as soon as possible and their concept people and their physics people literally do not talk to each other during the design process.

They literally have people who's job it is to "paint some cool spaceships!" who have no idea how the engine works, what center of mass means or where thrusters should be placed.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 24, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

The Cutlass is going to go through a redesign process, you should probably just forget about the current Cutlass.

Yeah, at least until Friday when the limited Cutlass Blue goes on sale again.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Ship upgrades is where the big UEC will go, and the expanded modularity of ships only reinforces this. People may be able to bang out enough UEC to get in queue to buy an Idris, but finding and being able to afford that super sweet rail gun mk ll will be the real challenge... And with the massive OCD that overwhelms citizens, they will literally pay anything to get the next best upgrade. This is why limited sales work so well now, even though they know CIG will sell things dozens of times more... Unlike now with the store, there may actually be scarcity which will drive whales into paying goons for poo poo.

The daily/weekly/monthly UEC limits are far too small for things like this, so you'll see hefty org taxes and XPLOR, Imperium, TEST will bankroll their SC girlfriends' uber Jav.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Ship upgrades is where the big UEC will go, and the expanded modularity of ships only reinforces this. People may be able to bang out enough UEC to get in queue to buy an Idris, but finding and being able to afford that super sweet rail gun mk ll will be the real challenge... And with the massive OCD that overwhelms citizens, they will literally pay anything to get the next best upgrade. This is why limited sales work so well now, even though they know CIG will sell things dozens of times more... Unlike now with the store, there may actually be scarcity which will drive whales into paying goons for poo poo.

The daily/weekly/monthly UEC limits are far too small for things like this, so you'll see hefty org taxes and XPLOR, Imperium, TEST will bankroll their SC girlfriends' uber Jav.

That also ignores that the best (and probably even the mediocre) ship equipment will have gating mechanisms outside of just their UEC cost. Even if you bust open your wallet to lay down the billion UEC necessary to outfit your Javelin, it won't do you any good if you haven't put the time and energy into gameplay that's necessary to get your foot in the door with whatever organization actually sells the stuff (or you pay for someone else that has done the work).

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Truga posted:

Don't tell the (other) spergs about this though, they'll go absolutely inseane about someone in an absolutely tiny org of semi-casuals with jobs earning a loving capital ship in the first week.

ftfy

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

That also ignores that the best (and probably even the mediocre) ship equipment will have gating mechanisms outside of just their UEC cost. Even if you bust open your wallet to lay down the billion UEC necessary to outfit your Javelin, it won't do you any good if you haven't put the time and energy into gameplay that's necessary to get your foot in the door with whatever organization actually sells the stuff (or you pay for someone else that has done the work).

All these ladders people have to climb aren't always a good thing. It's nice to have upgrades and random finds and I like the equipment tweaking plans, all that keeps games interesting. However if Star Citizen really is meant to be skill based then farming a +3 purple deathray you just must have could quickly screw all that up. Especially considering players will be selling items to each other and mechanics others games have used such as BoE and BoP make no sense at all, UEC costs could get out of hand fast.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Can I keep his head for a souvenir ?
if this games comes with a +1 gun every other month you have go to farm to keep up...

boy, nail in the coffin.

i am still optimistic/stupid enough to think otherwise.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

AP posted:

All these ladders people have to climb aren't always a good thing. It's nice to have upgrades and random finds and I like the equipment tweaking plans, all that keeps games interesting. However if Star Citizen really is meant to be skill based then farming a +3 purple deathray you just must have could quickly screw all that up. Especially considering players will be selling items to each other and mechanics others games have used such as BoE and BoP make no sense at all, UEC costs could get out of hang fast.

I expect we'll see some sort of limited 'bind' mechanic to limit sales of rare items many times and thus inflation, but not like the hard and fast BoE or BoP you see in games like WoW.

As complete conjecture, I'd expect something like "the power couplings on this super rare modded Omnisky IX Ultra require extensive modifications for your ship to accept the weapon." So when you do find the 'purple/epic' laser for your ship, you can't just hotswap it on and off of your ships, but there's a 'modification period' where you have to configure your ship to take special snowflake gear. There would then also be a needed period to transition a hardpoint back to accept normal parts, with normal 'white/normal' or 'green/uncommon' guns and parts completely swappable at will. Equipping and unequipping the 'purple/epic' item would only be possible a random, hidden, limited amount of times before its fragile components get damaged and make it no longer transferable (locking it either in place on a ship until it is destroyed or you choose to remove it, or unequippable in your inventory).

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
"I'm not sure we will consider waste management a full time role at this stage of the game"

(Chris mentally giggles and fails to suppress grin) and tries to redirect the subject towards sweeping up debris instead.

Hilarious.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Can I keep his head for a souvenir ?

Marathanes posted:

I expect we'll see some sort of limited 'bind' mechanic to limit sales of rare items many times and thus inflation, but not like the hard and fast BoE or BoP you see in games like WoW.

As complete conjecture, I'd expect something like "the power couplings on this super rare modded Omnisky IX Ultra require extensive modifications for your ship to accept the weapon." So when you do find the 'purple/epic' laser for your ship, you can't just hotswap it on and off of your ships, but there's a 'modification period' where you have to configure your ship to take special snowflake gear. There would then also be a needed period to transition a hardpoint back to accept normal parts, with normal 'white/normal' or 'green/uncommon' guns and parts completely swappable at will. Equipping and unequipping the 'purple/epic' item would only be possible a random, hidden, limited amount of times before its fragile components get damaged and make it no longer transferable (locking it either in place on a ship until it is destroyed or you choose to remove it, or unequippable in your inventory).

wtf dude. you are killing me with that language.

the normal stuff you fly with should be bought at a store. From the affordable value equipment to the expensive and not always availabe gear that gives you a slight edge.

I am okay with your lovely wow style epixx gun from a wreck or rare trade. But that poo poo should be gone once you die with it. no need for all the other stuff you talk about, it will be rarely used.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Marathanes posted:

Previously, they've said they're looking at making the rare/better gear come with some sort of tradeoff in terms of upkeep/repair costs, i.e. you may find a +3 deathray, but you only get a handful of shots out of it before you have to pay an exorbitant repair fee / it explodes, as well as other tradeoffs like increased resource requirements. Essentially, much in the way they don't want a single ship to be objectively better in every way, they don't want a single "best in slot" set of components.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I would be completely fine with rare/epic/whatever items being uninsurable and fragile, and exploding generally rather than being salvagable, but if they are uninsurable, and generally explode, pubbies will lose their poo poo. I totally agree that people should fly with cheap but effective equipment. If Eve taught me anything, it's don't fly what you can't afford to lose, and that better than t2 gear (aside from some faction gear for specific fleet builds), is unnecessary unless you're building a loot pinata.

However, based on the assumption that such items will be insurable, and knowing that insurance supposedly functions by providing you items in the same condition that they were lost in, as has been noted, having the items degrade when equipped or unequipped (or respawned via insurance) seems a way to ensure that they are likely to eventually leave the economy.

Edit: Tradeoffs in terms of upkeep/repair costs would also work, and if the balancing works the way you suggest, would be a better system.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

If they ever post the updated design article on insurance mechanics we'll know for sure, but if I recall correctly from the last time they talked about it, component insurance is not actually going to replace the items themselves, but instead compensate you for the value of them so you have to hunt them down / re-tune them again. Hull insurance is the one that replaces the actual ship in its last condition, along with the stock parts, if applicable.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

DatonKallandor posted:

The stages of a CIG design:
Come up with ship. Hype ship on forums.
Make Concept art of ship based entirely on rule of cool - sell this to people.
Find out concept art made no sense because it can't physically fit the specs you told people it'd have. Redesign #1 the ship so it actually can do stuff - sell this to people again.
Find out Redesign #1 doesn't work with the physics because the concept was based entirely on rule of cool - Redesign #2 so it actually flies in the AC. Sell this to people again.
Find out you need entirely different specs for the PU because poo poo needs to be dynamic/the interior is hosed/the one piece of new gameplay you came up with doesn't work with the ship. Send it to Studio 42 for it's Redesign #3. Sell that to people again.

And also add a couple of re-designs when it turned out they needed PBR, damage states, no damage states after all oops, etc.

Seriously, they're still constantly forced to redo ships because the engines are in a hosed up location or you can't see out of the cockpit - because they are monetizing every bit of concept art as soon as possible and their concept people and their physics people literally do not talk to each other during the design process.

They literally have people who's job it is to "paint some cool spaceships!" who have no idea how the engine works, what center of mass means or where thrusters should be placed.

So it is. Every five pages we end up saying: "Tears will flow the day the PU will release!"

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Octopode posted:

If they ever post the updated design article on insurance mechanics we'll know for sure, but if I recall correctly from the last time they talked about it, component insurance is not actually going to replace the items themselves, but instead compensate you for the value of them so you have to hunt them down / re-tune them again. Hull insurance is the one that replaces the actual ship in its last condition, along with the stock parts, if applicable.

That would also help with keeping rare poo poo from accumulating value and inflating the economy. Awesome.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

RattiRatto posted:

You're a loving idiot.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
really glad for thi thread

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lets all be friends and never fight or argue

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

warcrimes posted:

You're a loving idiot.

i agree op

FatUglyUseless
Dec 6, 2013

Octopode posted:

Previously, they've said they're looking at making the rare/better gear come with some sort of tradeoff in terms of upkeep/repair costs, i.e. you may find a +3 deathray, but you only get a handful of shots out of it before you have to pay an exorbitant repair fee / it explodes, as well as other tradeoffs like increased resource requirements. Essentially, much in the way they don't want a single ship to be objectively better in every way, they don't want a single "best in slot" set of components.

"Supposedly" Access to the bigger/rarer ships will be regulated as well via in game mechanics. There is no definitive answer, but there have been mentions of stuff like "Only X $Rare_Ship a month can roll off the assembly line" It gets even muddier with questions like, Does that include Insurance replacements? Will that number increase with an increase of player population?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Eonwe posted:

lets all be friends and never fight or argue

lmao look at this fag here

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Technically I recorded this shortly after PAX South, but didn't do anything public with it because I'm a lazy sod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr8jwjHwvLU

Download MP3

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

FatUglyUseless posted:

"Supposedly" Access to the bigger/rarer ships will be regulated as well via in game mechanics. There is no definitive answer, but there have been mentions of stuff like "Only X $Rare_Ship a month can roll off the assembly line" It gets even muddier with questions like, Does that include Insurance replacements? Will that number increase with an increase of player population?

No matter what, the pubbies are going to lose their poo poo. A huge cadre of "citizens" want ship replacement times to be measured in weeks to months; Because they need to justify that $1000 they sunk into the game; with a heaping helping of "dying only happens to other people".

So either rare ships have a long replacement time, and people lose their poo poo about being unable to play the ship they spent $1000 on, or ships replacement times are low and people lose it because their $1000 purchase doesn't seem like a good idea anymore.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

warcrimes posted:

You're a loving idiot.

I have no friends

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
we can be friends

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lets be friends.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
added u

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Go here: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/4497638/#Comment_4497638
Click "Flag"
Type "MVP"
Click "Flag"

Thank you.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Done. I also did it on a few of the Javelin accounts.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

:goon:

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
They started another youtube show dedicated to "Fan Content".

Abandon all hope, ye who enter.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

PITT posted:

They started another youtube show dedicated to "Fan Content".

Abandon all hope, ye who enter.

No, see, this is a good idea. Not that I watch ATV but someone does and faithfully transcribes the relevant parts and I do read those. Now that person no longer has to worry about accidentally viewing of these many, many terrible fan vids. Think of it as a Final Solution for lovely, lovely fan content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

warcrimes posted:

No, see, this is a good idea. Not that I watch ATV but someone does and faithfully transcribes the relevant parts and I do read those. Now that person no longer has to worry about accidentally viewing of these many, many terrible fan vids. Think of it as a Final Solution for lovely, lovely fan content.

ATV hasn't had a fan video... I think ever. WMH really cut down on the crappy ones a long time ago.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14527-The-Wonderful-World-Of-Star-Citizen-Episode-1

The first fan video ("Pieces of Eight") is actually pretty good work. I stopped caring after the weird animation, so I have no idea what else might be there.

• Locked thread