Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

World Famous Whore posted:

I done switched to a +6 GSC of Crushing so it doesn't matter anymore anyways. I don't know if I am going to convert it to the Holy weapon or one of my other many GSC I have sitting in my Lair storage and keep it for non evil creatures.

Speaking of which, at what level/skill you think it would be safe to switch over with this Ogre? I am thinking I am going to go through Vault 4 and Depths to the bottom then switch out seeing as most the remaining branches are undead/demon. Really don't know cause I've never done the Oka to TSO to Zin game before and have no idea how bad Oka's wrath really is.

I know you're dead, so it doesn't matter, but I would usually do all of Vaults, Slime, and Zot (at least to 4) before switching away from Oka (or Trog). Most of Zot isn't actually undead or demonic, so you'll get more out of finesse/heroism and a non-holy weapon than you would from TSO or Zin (I suppose aliches would be the biggest exception).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

LorrdErnie posted:

code:
LorrdErnie the Black Belt (OpIE)                   Turns: 79832, Time: 05:01:37

Health: 173/182    AC: 28    Str: 26    XL:     23   Next: 37%
Magic:  50/50      EV: 27    Int: 43    God:    Cheibriados [******]
Gold:   6551       SH: 21    Dex: 28    Spells: 11 memorised, 2 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis .       - Unarmed
rCold  + . .     Clarity  .     y - +2 shield {reflect}
rNeg   + . .     SustAb   +     (helmet restricted)
rPois  ∞         Gourm    .     h - amulet of regeneration
rElec  +         Spirit   .     m - +4 ring of protection
rCorr  .         Warding  .     E - ring of protection from fire
rMut   .         Stasis   .     R - ring of sustain abilities
MR     ++...                    (no ring)
Stlth  ++++......               b - ring of protection from cold
                                k - ring "Thaesm" {rPois Int+3}
                                s - ring of wizardry
                                K - ring of magical power

@: statue-form, studying Conjurations, repel missiles, very slow, very resistant
to hostile enchantments, stealthy
A: almost no armour, amphibious, 8 rings, constrict 8, antennae 1, tentacle
spike 2, large bone plates 2, (molten scales 0), camouflage 1, agile 1, blurry
vision 1, magic resistance 1, slow healing 1, (gelatinous body 0)
a: End Transformation, Bend Time, Temporal Distortion, Slouch, Step From Time,
Renounce Religion
}: 2/15 runes: decaying, gossamer
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/LorrdErnie/LorrdErnie.txt

So I am playing another cheibro and am looking for advice as to what to do next/what spells I should be looking at. I am currently training up conjurations and ice magic to try to get glaciate castable but beyond that I am not sure what to do. Also I'm not sure if having both Hydra and Dragon forms is redundant or if they serve their own purposes. Now that I am typing this out I am realizing I definitely should forget ice form. Fun note about this run: I didn't find a non ice-form transmutation until finding Dragon Form late in vaults and then found statue form, hydra form, and glaciate all in Spider. I would've had them so much earlier if I hadn't needed dragon form to kill Asterion. :(

Edit: Nevermind I died because I forgot about step from time...

code:
rPois  ∞       
Think I found the problem chief! :v:

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

quote:

The +12 lajatang of Shame {slice, rElec rPois rN+ Dex+5 Stlth-}

NaFE of Chei. This is in a shop. No other good artefact weapons yet, but I'm only d:10 or so, haven't Laired yet. Should I train staves for this eventually?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

LogicNinja posted:

NaFE of Chei. This is in a shop. No other good artefact weapons yet, but I'm only d:10 or so, haven't Laired yet. Should I train staves for this eventually?

How much does it cost? If it's affordable:

yes

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LogicNinja posted:

That is insanely, absurdly good. For the love of Chei yes. Its not like reaching mindelay with a lajatang is even hard.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Arrhythmia posted:

How much does it cost? If it's affordable:

yes
1306 gold. How much Staves does it take to get Lajatangs to mindelay?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Never mind, died due to cheimoving!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LorrdErnie posted:

Edit: Nevermind I died because I forgot about step from time...

LogicNinja posted:

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I just encountered this. The ~4 walls next to me are metal while the rest is stone. Is this a hidden vault or a level generation bug?

LogicNinja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJxCdh1Ps48

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Well, there appears to be only one set of stairs down. Try going up some other stairs on D:3, see where you end up.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Tarezax posted:

Well, there appears to be only one set of stairs down. Try going up some other stairs on D:3, see where you end up.

Yeah I realized that after I posted, derp. Turns out it was just an altar room, the rest of the level was normal aside from being disconnected. To note: the one stairway to D:3 way a trap door. Thought I might be walking into a special setpiece ambush.

Meunkin
Sep 11, 2001

puppiespuppiespuppies
At first I thought "nah, I'll ditch Ash for Zin or TSO for endgame" and then I tried abyss scumming with Ash and oh my god.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Ash is a fantastic postgame god so I don't know why you'd ditch them regardless.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Yet another orc warrior on d:3, I guess this is just a regular thing now?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

LogicNinja posted:

Yet another orc warrior on d:3, I guess this is just a regular thing now?

checking the numbers, looks like it's about as common as it's been since... 0.6 or so

a pretty consistent ~6.5% of orc warrior deaths are on d:3

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

checking the numbers, looks like it's about as common as it's been since... 0.6 or so

a pretty consistent ~6.5% of orc warrior deaths are on d:3

...well, huh, the more you know.
Seems a mite early, is all.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Meunkin posted:

At first I thought "nah, I'll ditch Ash for Zin or TSO for endgame" and then I tried abyss scumming with Ash and oh my god.

This is WRONG and SUB-OPTIMAL but I like doing it sometimes

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
killing a d:2 orc warrior with a cehu was very satisfying

Meunkin
Sep 11, 2001

puppiespuppiespuppies

IronicDongz posted:

Ash is a fantastic postgame god so I don't know why you'd ditch them regardless.

I really like the heals-on-kill and rN+++ from TSO for tomb and the mutation resist/emergency escape of Zin for everything else, they make up for my lovely play and tendency to get myself killed in endgame. I've got 27 in most relevant skills so I don't really need the skill boosts anymore. This is fun, though, I'm taking on Hell for the first time without Zin (well, once I had an OP demonspawn of mak but that doesn't even count), and it's terrifying. Hell effects do things?! It's nervewracking as hell and great.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LogicNinja posted:

...well, huh, the more you know.
Seems a mite early, is all.

You can at least run from an orc warrior as most races. It could be something like a pack of killer bees instead which is going to kill basically everyone that doesn't have a tp scroll identified.

Jyppe
Jun 13, 2007
For the Fireman!
Yea, gently caress killer bees. Fast, small and poisonous. Only thing missing is distortion I guess.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FR: Abyss bees

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
FR: Caustic Bees

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.
FR: Beehive traps, like shadow traps but summons only bees.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Does holy damage deal equal damage to demonspawn as undead characters? I just had a demonspawn take over 200 damage in one turn in a zig when two pearl dragons both breathed on him at the same time. I survived, barely, and because it was only z: 15 or so, everything died from one singularity and tornado before I could take any more damage. I was in lichform because I figured it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Would changing to statue form have removed my holy vulnerability? I assume not, but since I'm tempted to go for multiple zigs with this character, since he's a demonspawn of Chei with orange crystal plate and all my favorite mutations (monstrous with nightstalker, magic shield and augmentation), I want to know if there's a way I can not die instantly if another holy pan level shows up.

By the way, the new reaper tile is amazing!

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I'm playing Chei worshippers 24/7 right now and I have no idea why people are apparently now swinging back to "Chei is actually secretly good and OP!", not being able to simply walk away from things is a giant disadvantage.

He does allow you to do silly stuff though, kind of like how just about all your early game spells get Max Power as soon as you hit 6* piety.

The one thing that you really need to remember as Chei is that if you ever run out of MP and don't have powerful consumables, you're probably pretty screwed.

Internet Kraken posted:

Summoner is probably one of the worst starting backgrounds though regardless of race. Its workable but you'd be better off going with any other magic background and just branching into summoning. Relying on summoning a quokka to not die to a hobgoblin on D:1 is not fun.
Pretty much this.

Anyone who wants to play a game where Summoning plays a decent role, try Wizard (Summon pImps) and Ice Elementalist (Ice Beasts) instead. They're simultaneously much stronger and less tedious than trying to start a Summoner.

It's a background that should really be looked at... along with Air Elementalist.

Though I don't think they will.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yes holy deals as much damage to demon as it does to undead.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I don't think Chei is OP at all, though I don't think he's that bad, either. Except from when you start worshiping him until mid-lair, during which time he's every bit as bad as people typically say. By the time you've got a decent skill set going, you shouldn't need to walk away from most encounters and when you do, Chei gives you good tools for escape. I think Araganzar quoted someone else as saying that Chei makes strong characters stronger and I think that's very true. If you just can't pull together the stuff you need to get ahead of the curve, Chei will probably kill you, or at least make you miserable until you die of boredom and frustration. But if you'd already be doing quite well without a god at all, Chei will make you more powerful than most other gods would.

Chei does play quite differently from other gods, and that's part of what makes him so interesting. Shields, for example, are probably a very good idea for Chei characters compared to worshipers of other gods because first, you have a lot of damage even with one handed weapons because of the stat boosts; second, you get a lot more defense from your shield than other characters would, again because of high stats; third, because defense is much more important for characters that have to either fight surrounded, or take twice the number of attacks per move while retreating to safer terrain. I've only won four games with Chei and am in extended with my 5th (who is an absurdly powerful, unstoppable monster who could only ever die in a ziggurat: ridiculous defense, ridiculous melee, crazy MP regen and max power on all spells), and I'm only starting to get the hang of how to use the god. But regardless of how good he actually is, casting powerful magic in heavy armor while hitting like a truck is lots of fun and usually only Chei characters can manage it.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
:unsmigghh:

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Davzz posted:

I'm playing Chei worshippers 24/7 right now and I have no idea why people are apparently now swinging back to "Chei is actually secretly good and OP!", not being able to simply walk away from things is a giant disadvantage.

He does allow you to do silly stuff though, kind of like how just about all your early game spells get Max Power as soon as you hit 6* piety.

The one thing that you really need to remember as Chei is that if you ever run out of MP and don't have powerful consumables, you're probably pretty screwed.

Pretty much this.

Anyone who wants to play a game where Summoning plays a decent role, try Wizard (Summon pImps) and Ice Elementalist (Ice Beasts) instead. They're simultaneously much stronger and less tedious than trying to start a Summoner.

It's a background that should really be looked at... along with Air Elementalist.

Though I don't think they will.

It sounds like you're playing a lot of blaster casters of Chei, which seems like a difficult start. When you see an enemy, a Chei worshiper basically can make a couple of moves for tactical positioning, and then has to be ready to fight everything that is coming. That doesn't mesh well with a blaster caster style, because casters, especially early game casters, can only fight as long as they have MP. In big fights, they rely on either kiting/pillar dancing enemies to recover MP, or running up stairs to recover MP. As you point out, that's basically not possible with Chei, and Chei doesn't really do anything to mitigate the need for this type of play.

Melee/ranged weapon characters, on the other hand, are generally more capable of just standing and fighting. A melee character never runs out of swings of her weapon, and while a ranged fighter may run out of ammo, it's not the same as a caster, because a ranged character doesn't rely on retreating to recharge ammo. The main reason melee/ranged characters want to run is because they can't withstand the damage they are taking, and Chei helps mitigate that through high AC/EV/SH and high damage output. The fact is, once you get some piety built up, a Chei melee dude can generally just tab through everything. Since you have to retreat less, you can rely more on slouch and step from time to deal with those situations in which you otherwise would have to retreat. Then, once you have good armour, dodging, and weapon skills, you hybridize into a heavy armour caster and become nearly indestructible (especially if you can get some kind of escape like cBlink up).

Of course, the early game, where you get penalized with almost no benefit, is brutal, which is why Chei may be one of the only Gods worth going Monk for.

Fake E: There are some type of MP efficient casters hybrids that Chei can be good with early, like skalds, transmuters, and hybrid Ice Elementalists.

Real E: Also, Chei can be a great "teaching" God, because he helps you focus on the importance of considering every move and always having an escape, rather than just running straight into packs of enemies.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 25, 2015

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Not My Leg posted:

Real E: Also, Chei can be a great "teaching" God, because he helps you focus on the importance of considering every move and always having an escape, rather than just running straight into packs of enemies.

Playing Trolls of Chei made me a better crawler, because it weaned me off of otab.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The trick to early Chei is learning to love Bend Time. You can still kite when enemys are Slow!

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

The trick to early Chei is learning to love Bend Time. You can still kite when enemys are Slow!

Just train Invocations AND Dodging on top of all your other skills, NBD! :P

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jyppe posted:

Yea, gently caress killer bees. Fast, small and poisonous. Only thing missing is distortion I guess.

They're a fantastic justification for having toxic radiance in your spellbook though. gently caress alla youse -rPois suckers.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I once unironically suggested phase bees with distortion melee and the ability to fly through walls so they could swarm you even in corridors :getin:

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

megane posted:

I once unironically suggested phase bees with distortion melee and the ability to fly through walls so they could swarm you even in corridors :getin:

That would be sweet in the Abyss.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It'd be neat to have a shrike/bee variant in abyss (probably starting in Abyss:2 so you don't see them until you're trying to get the rune). Giving them distortion melee is thematically appropriate and not as much of a gently caress you as it would be anywhere else besides abyss.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
If it were up to me I'd take out banishing and focus on making Abyss a branch that's challenging and interesting in its own right rather than Green Day's Boulevard of Broken Dreams/insufferable slogfest. A bunch of weird monsters that do stuff completely different from the rest of the game would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

LogicNinja posted:

Just train Invocations AND Dodging on top of all your other skills, NBD! :P

You only need a couple of points in Inv to reliably slow pretty much every pre-lair threat, and most of the during-lair threats. Bend Time is good.

• Locked thread