Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Stravinsky posted:

Also ras het pointing those things out mean nothing without the context of the story so nothing is ruined because there was no mystery that the entire thing hinged on you not knowing.

Also (to emphasise that I'm trying to provide a voice of reason and not just being a oval office), the Amazon sales pitch for Brothers Karamazov says:

Compelling, profound, complex, it is the story of a patricide and of the four sons who each had a motive for murder: Dmitry, the sensualist, Ivan, the intellectual; Alyosha, the mystic; and twisted, cunning Smerdyakov, the bastard child. Frequently lurid, nightmarish, always brilliant, the novel plunges the reader into a sordid love triangle, a pathological obsession, and a gripping courtroom drama

Franchescanado posted:

It's generally agreed that going into a story blind is the best way to enjoy it, as the author intended it.

Personally, knowing a twist in a movie before seeing it distracts me from things going on, because I'm just waiting for that twist. It also reduces any urgency I have of enjoying the story.

Knowing the gimmick of a story allows you to focus on the bigger picture. Something like Fight Club is only compelling because it tricks you, and once the smoke screen is gone you're looking at a three hour long turd. Something like The Brothers Karamazov is compelling because it's a massive panorama of captivating intertwined details held together by a simple but solid plot, and you lose nothing by knowing how it ends - instead you gain the full picture. I mean, I personally don't even go for an effort as massive as a thousand page book without knowing exactly what I'm getting into - like gently caress I'm dedicating dozens and dozens of hours to A Mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

seravid posted:

Your post did remind me that I actually haven't read Crime and Punishment or The Idiot. Which one should I begin with?

While it's true that the Idiot is better, it's a much harder read than Crime and Punishment because it's also more flawed.

Put it another way: I read Crime and Punishment in one go, and loved it. I read The Idiot only after something like 7 attempts over 9 years, and only after some time had passed was I able to look back on it and realize I loved it and it was in fact my favorite Dostoevsky novel. Start with Crime and Punishment, then read Notes from Underground.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
There are arguments for either side. I personally like knowing zero about a book, but you have to realistic. Stories that have passes the test of time aren't going to be spoiled as easily, like Moby Dick. More recent stories like Gone Girl are more interesting with the twists unknown.

But there's also a lot of other things to consider. People read Harry Potter for a long time to get that resolution. Spoiling that, for most, won't add to the experience. Like GoT, people freak out if it gets spoiled.

Then there's Gravity's Rainbow, which is hard to spoil in general, and may help the understanding.

Then there's artist intention to consider. They spent a long time crafting the story, and intended it to be experienced a certain way.

So, it's common sense. If you wouldn't want something spoiled for you, or the person reading/watching it don't want it spoiled, then don't.

Unless you're just being a dick.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I know that you don't read Brothers K for the intrigue. It's far more than that. But my Existentialism TA did say that the whole thing plays out a little like a murder mystery, so that's the impression I had. I do hope, however, that the entire thing isn't as religious-focused as the first 100 pages. Though I suspect it is.

edit: I think I'm going to quit reading. I honestly could not care less about religion so I don't think this book is the best use of my time considering its length.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 24, 2015

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

There are different types of stories. Some are very plot driven and really don't offer you much BESIDES anticipation, so if you know how it ends you're probably not going to enjoy it much. On the other end of the spectrum, something like Moby Dick is explicitly not about it's plot — whether you know how it ends or not is irrelevant because roughly 80 percent of the book has nothing to do with that. Probably most books fall somewhere in-between.

Personally, I'm the sort of reader who reads the first couple of chapters, and if I like it enough not to put it down immediately, I skip ahead and read the last couple of pages to see how it ends. Usually that actually enhances my enjoyment — I read the end without a whole lot of context so it's fun for me to see how the story gets there. Also maybe it's a kind of gently caress you to the author, that yeah they may have taken a lot of time writing this thing but I'm about to spend a lot of time reading it so that minor act of rebellion signifies that I'll be taking my pleasure from their work how I want. I'm weird.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Dear TBB,

I've been reading Edward Said's Orientalism. In its second long chapter, it chronicles the development of Orientalism as a discipline by profiling famous "explorers" of the "East", in all of their self-absorbed and pedantic glory.

One of these writers wrote of medicine in Egypt. Said felt it necessary to block quote us some of his choicer stuff. He claimed that while in Egypt he witnessed a group of men being examined who all had syphilis in their assholes. He watched intently as they all bent over and spread their anuses, noting the details of every sore in excruciating medical detail, even talking about the tuft of hair inside one of the anuses.

In other words, I got goatse'd by one of the most influential thinkers of the mid to late 20th century.

:gonk:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The anthropology department has 2 bookshelves full of freebie books to whoever wants them. I've also seen VHS and slides. My deeply buried hoarder instinct start kicking every time I walk by, there's got to be some cool poo poo in there.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Random question, but anyone have any good recommendations for books about conspiracy theories? Specifically in-depth looks at real ones, preferably not crackpot and also preferably ebook.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

thehomemaster posted:

Random question, but anyone have any good recommendations for books about conspiracy theories? Specifically in-depth looks at real ones, preferably not crackpot and also preferably ebook.

How are you going to know if its real if its a conspiracy theory?

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Hoisted.

I mean real authors who take an objective look at theories.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Welp, there goes Illuminatus!.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

thehomemaster posted:

Hoisted.

I mean real authors who take an objective look at theories.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Burglary-Discovery-Hoovers-Secret/dp/0307962954

How about this one?

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

anilEhilated posted:

Welp, there goes Illuminatus!.

Already have it! Thinking of doing a back-to-back reading of that and Infinite Jest.

The Burglary looks really good!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So I ordered a first edition of China Mieville's Kraken from abebooks because it was really cheap and I like the cover. According to the description it showed signs of light wear and might contain markings on the inside, as it turns out those markings was Mieville's signature.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Ahaha that's awesome. Lucky find!

Also I really like that book. It's got a really fun Discworld vibe.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Kindle and Goodreads?

I've just finished a book and given it a rating on the end-popup, but I can't find it on the Goodreads site from my computer, the book isn't added to read, because I guess I didn't add it as "reading" previously? Anyway, what am I supposed to do? I'd like it to count in my recommendations. Did in fact the Goodreads rating go anywhere? I think I've found the right edition of the book, without a rating. And apparently I can add it to "read" without a rating. This Internet thing is confusing!

Apologies if it fits better in a different thread.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
I was wondering if someone could recommend me a good book in the same vein of Dune? I've reread the original series (the ones by Herbert) and still find myself wanting more, or rather something similar. I've also already read Norstrilia which I consider to be somewhat if not entirely similar.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Thunder Moose posted:

I was wondering if someone could recommend me a good book in the same vein of Dune? I've reread the original series (the ones by Herbert) and still find myself wanting more, or rather something similar. I've also already read Norstrilia which I consider to be somewhat if not entirely similar.

What did you like about Dune?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Thunder Moose posted:

If you liked all the political shenanigans, A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) and Shogun will satisfy.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Ahaha that's awesome. Lucky find!

Also I really like that book. It's got a really fun Discworld vibe.

Is it worth having a go at Kraken if I found the Bas-Lag books really disappointing? They kind of put me off Mieville.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Thunder Moose posted:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, are you strictly looking for other space opera/scifi, or is theme or tone more important than genre?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Is it worth having a go at Kraken if I found the Bas-Lag books really disappointing? They kind of put me off Mieville.

I actually don't know because I haven't read the Bas-Lag books. But if a very-slightly-more-serious Discworld set in London where the plot is set into motion by the first intact specimen of a deep-sea kraken disappearing from its museum sounds good then I'd recommend it.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I just finished reading the first two Hyperion books, and they scratched that epic scifi space opera itch something good. I may take some time off before I read the next two (Endymion and Rise of Endymion) but I'll definitely be coming back to that one. Good poo poo.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Chamberk posted:

I just finished reading the first two Hyperion books, and they scratched that epic scifi space opera itch something good. I may take some time off before I read the next two (Endymion and Rise of Endymion) but I'll definitely be coming back to that one. Good poo poo.
Take all the time you want, the other two are a lot worse. And I mean a lot.

ToxicFrog posted:

By all means, it's pretty different. It's still got the classic Miéville descriptions and love of long words, but it's a lot more action-packed and lighter. It's probably his easiest novel to get into and still very much worth it.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I enjoyed the politics of the series; the "plots within plots" that Mr. Herbert did such a masterful job creating. To the poster who recommended ASoIaF I have already read a Song of Ice and Fire series and enjoyed it a great deal.

I also saw "Shogun" mentioned, I will have to look that up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Thunder Moose posted:

I enjoyed the politics of the series; the "plots within plots" that Mr. Herbert did such a masterful job creating. To the poster who recommended ASoIaF I have already read a Song of Ice and Fire series and enjoyed it a great deal.

Yeah Shogun would be a great choice. Honestly Wheel of Time has pretty good politics also but not on the same level.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah Wheel of Time has some good stuff but you do have to be prepared for some really boring sections of that series.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Thunder Moose posted:

Definitely Shogun, as mentioned above. Also, The Count of Monte Christo.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Pretty excited about this "sneak peek" (though it's just a picture of the new Franzen cover)

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Not sure if it is ok to ask this in here, but I have been pondering this for a few years now. About 5-6 years ago (maybe) I was on a short story kick and I read several collections of short stories. One was about a man (maybe a scientist) who learns to leave his body and abandon his physical form. I think this happens the first time as he was walking on a pier. I can't remember. One part I liked was a brief discussion about how we all shed parts of our bodies as we age and cells die so we are not physically who we were at the beginning of our lives (or something like that). Can anyone help me try to remember the title and who wrote this? If I had to guess, I think it was either a story by Philip K. Dick, Vonnegut, or Irvine Welsh. I may even be wrong about that too. I've went back and browsed through a bunch of my short story books but have never been able to find who it was. It is possible too that my mind remembers these ideas as one story, but it actually pieces of several stories. I hope that is not the case.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Aaaww. The book depository actually includes emoticons in their mails :allears:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Thunder Moose posted:

Check out The Prince of Nothing series. It's fantasy that has tons of that type of stuff and it was heavily influenced by Dune.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What book has the craziest "making of" type story behind it? Like weird things that go on with the author like bizarre research or something?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

blue squares posted:

What book has the craziest "making of" type story behind it? Like weird things that go on with the author like bizarre research or something?

You could make a case for a lot of biographies (the book about the soccer team in the Andes forced to cannibalism springs to mind) or pseudo- (A lot of Hemingway's stuff is deeply rooted in his own war experiences, etc). You want something more though, right? Do you have an example to spark the mind?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Non-fiction isn't really fair. I don't know of any cases, but I was imagining something like a writer who, say, is intentionally drowned and revived to be able to write about it. So not just past experiences but something done specifically as part of the creative process of writing a specific novel.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Put crudely, "Jackass but as a book" :haw:

I'll try and think on it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I bet that if someone wrote a book with lots of stories of how famous books were written, it could sell decently

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh poo poo I just remembered: Nellie Bly. In 1889–90 she traveled around the world as one of the first to ever do so in less than 80 days, inspired by the book of that name, and reported having done so as the first.

But more apropos: She took on a false identity and pretended insanity to have herself comitted in order to expose the inhumanity of mental asylums in the 1880s.

Also, that brings to mind Günter Wallraff who's lived as fictional personas and taken jobs as such in order to expose systemic racism, etc

There's also a woman named Charlotte Johannsen who infiltrated a Danish neo-nazi milieu and later wrote about it, dunno if that is available in English:
http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Johannsen

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

blue squares posted:

Non-fiction isn't really fair. I don't know of any cases, but I was imagining something like a writer who, say, is intentionally drowned and revived to be able to write about it. So not just past experiences but something done specifically as part of the creative process of writing a specific novel.

George Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

blue squares posted:

You could argue for Edouard Levé's 'Suicide': "Much of the analysis and interpretation of Suicide hinges on the fact that ten days after giving the text to his publisher, Levé hanged himself."