Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

coloncalamity posted:

xi jinping fun facts: he plagiarized his dissertation at china's most prestigious university.

i always thought tsinghua was pretty legit so i found this pretty disappointing. they're one of the only universities in china with any international recognition and this really compromises that image.

xi jinping fun facts #2: he didnt pursue a doctorate until almost twenty years after he received his bachelor's. his bachelor's degree is also garbage, even though it's likewise from the best university in china.

chinese universities are absolute garbage and are rather meaningless outside of china

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coloncalamity
Sep 12, 2007
hehe it's like diarrhea get it
be that as it may qinghua and beida do show up on international rankings alongside schools that are definitely not awful

coloncalamity fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 27, 2015

coloncalamity
Sep 12, 2007

Anidav posted:

Question: Is he a good president? My Chinese girlfriend loves him.

china is getting richer everyday and you don't really have to do much to be liked right now except not gently caress it up. people like him because he talks the talk on corruption and he kind of walks the walk I GUESS but if youre a bitter skeptic like me you think its just political infighting and him consolidating his power

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
i have never seen a chinese university on a list of top 100 international universities, though i do sometimes see hong kong listed but i don't count that as china

i just found one where tsinghua was 67 according to us global news rankings in 2015. huh. that's very surprising to me

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Anidav posted:

well ever since hes been in office lots of his political rivals have been purged (chinas luxury ccp prison is now overcrowded) and theres been a new crackdown on dissenters as well as lots of new internet restrictions. also the economy is stalling out big time which necessitates further crackdowns on "labor protests" (workers demanding promised wages) and "foreign agents" (journalists)

combined with increasing quasi-fascist jingoism and yeah hes totally awesome

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Yeah Peking and Tsinghua are really getting up there in international rankings. I wanna say I've seen one of them as high as 20 in the top 100 on some list.

I don't know what methodology is used for that stuff though.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
STEM is fine for upper tier schools.

Lots of smart people end up doing graduate degrees and be research monkeys in top western institutions.

Hydraulic engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineers. Hua wei and ZTE are neck to neck when it comes to telecoms equipment.

Yeah sometimes there's shady poo poo going on but they still make progress.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

caberham posted:

This man has horrible taste.

He rather eats in ruby Tuesday and subway instead of having dim sum. Heck even if you take him to fine dining Cantonese cuisine, he won't enjoy the seafood.

Because he doesn't really eat or enjoy pork, and shellfish.

TBH, in China I only eat at Hui or Uigher places. Beef and lamb are much more forgiving than pork and shellfish. So the Jews were right.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Captain Candiru posted:

I know my chinese place is good because instead of a name that sounds like a sex act or body part it's just "Chinese Happiness" and what could be more authentic than that.

You got something against restaurants named after sex? Pho King is awesome!

^ When I visited China there was a freaking awesome (halal) Afghan-ish restaurant a friend showed me, I had to keep going back there it was so good. Great lamb meat kebabs and meat pies and stuff. Also found a good mexican place, though it cost like 60kwai a meal.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 27, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

goldboilermark posted:

chinese universities are absolute garbage and are rather meaningless outside of china

not so much universities as cheating academies.

discover 101 amazing cheating techniques so you don't become a NEET

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Let's add some more jpgs to china.jpg. These are from a trip I took over the summer in 2010 with my parents in a tour group. Pictures were taken with my phone at the time.

Just outside the Beijing airport. Said to be shaped like a tortoise shell

This was on the way to the Forbidden Palace from where our bus parked

In Tienamen Square. Pictured is a government building. I forget if it's the Diet

:china: If you look closely, there are actually soldiers under those umbrellas

The entrance to the Forbidden City. Also pictured in the bottom left, the only child in our tour group taking pics with a bunch of Chinese tourists. His mother is the white woman pictured.

Idk when it was last repainted, but it needs to be done again.

A crapton of people come to see the Forbidden City

A throne of someone important. I forget whom.

Pandas! :O

Oh.

Could be worse I guess.

Edit: Not graffiti. Bricks made for the exhibit for the Olympics in 2008.

We actually stayed in some relatively nice places. This was the view from across out hotel room.

Went to see a show at this place. Idk.

This kid(?) was there in the theater lobby hitting the thing in his lap every so often until the doors opened to let everyone in.

Cast of the show after it ended. I forgot what it was about.

That was pretty much all we did the first day there in Beijing. Not pictured: The kidney that my family accidentally ordered, thinking it was cuttlefish, the underground mall outside our hotel and probably a bunch of other stuff.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 27, 2015

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
Don't know what to do with undeliverable international mail? Just start selling it on the street.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

Let's add some more jpgs to china.jpg. These are from a trip I took over the summer in 2010 with my parents in a tour group. Pictures were taken with my phone at the time.

...[KFC] was on the way to the Forbidden Palace from where our bus parked
...Idk when it was last repainted, but it needs to be done again.
...A throne of someone important. I forget whom.
...Could be worse I guess.
...This was the view from across out hotel room.
...Went to see a show at this place. Idk.
...This kid(?)
...I forgot what it was about.

That was pretty much all we did the first day there in Beijing. Not pictured: The kidney that my family accidentally ordered, thinking it was cuttlefish, the underground mall outside our hotel and probably a bunch of other stuff.

something tells me you work in the tourism industry, you make it sound so memorable

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW

coloncalamity posted:

xi jinping fun facts: he plagiarized his dissertation at china's most prestigious university.

here's a fun fact about xi jinping: after his father had a falling out with chairman mao, xi was sent to a small village where he lived in a cave for 7 years http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-17022763

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

simplefish posted:

Cultural and ethnic cleansing, you mean

if there's one thing the chinese are good at...

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

DetroitVectorSmooth posted:

Don't know what to do with undeliverable international mail? Just start selling it on the street.

I'm pretty sure one of those is my DealExtreme order. Headphones and an iPhone charger.

coloncalamity
Sep 12, 2007

anchoress posted:

here's a fun fact about xi jinping: after his father had a falling out with chairman mao, xi was sent to a small village where he lived in a cave for 7 years http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-17022763

thats where he met this dude who would later inform the us government on him.

http://www.wikileaks.org/cable/2009/11/09BEIJING3128.html

pro click btw

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

coloncalamity posted:

thats where he met this dude who would later inform the us government on him.

http://www.wikileaks.org/cable/2009/11/09BEIJING3128.html

pro click btw

I hope to christ that guy is smart enough to never go back to China because "asian american political science professor who worked and had long personal conversations with Xi from 2007-09" isn't exactly a long list.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Authentic Chinese food is bland, overrated and unethical as gently caress hth

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Chicken wings.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Irradiation posted:

What is it like having a human penis dangling between your eyes ?

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Tarkus posted:

For people talking about Chinese 'cuisine' you have to remember that while most cultures the world over have foods that they find distasteful, gross or simply taboo, the Chinese have none of these problems. If it is alive or came from something living and is not toxic, they will try their best to make it edible. Think of any animal except for perhaps Pekinese dogs and the Chinese will eat it.

This isn't to say that all their food is bad, in fact I like quite a bit of it. But the reason you only see Chinese in a truly Chinese restaurant is because their food is outside of the rest of world's tastes.

This is, I understand, the reason why cannibalism is such an extreme taboo in China: They don't have many issues with food, but when they do have them they really mean it. Romance of the Three Kingdoms was mentioned a few pages back, and there's an interesting passage in there. Liu Bei, working for Cao Cao, stops by the house of Liu An. Being a proper host and subject to Liu Bei, Liu An offers him a meal, but afterwards realizes he doesn't have any food, so he kills his wife, carves her up, and serves her flesh to Liu Bei. After Liu Bei discovers where the food he just ate came from, he is moved to tears (though the translation here is unclear) and lauds Liu An, and when Cao Cao hears about it he's equally moved and sends a ton of silver to Liu An for being a good subject. Because we have different taboos the meaning of this passage is lost on westerners, but basically Liu An was so faithful and loyal to his lord that not only was he willing to give up his wife to provide one good meal, but he also broke the biggest taboo to do so.

Also, super hardcore, in that same book Xiahou Dun, another general of Cao Cao, gets shot in the eye by an arrow during a super huge battle. Not willing to leave the field, he pulls the arrow out, along with his eyeball, and unwilling to show weakness, he devours it off the tip of the shaft.

Zipline fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 27, 2015

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Big Willy Style posted:

What is it like having a human penis dangling between your eyes ?

I don't know I'm not Chinese.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

I hope to christ that guy is smart enough to never go back to China because "asian american political science professor who worked and had long personal conversations with Xi from 2007-09" isn't exactly a long list.

especially considering how easy it was to find his dad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Ziwen

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Irradiation posted:

shut up irradiation

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
You guys are making it sounds like authentic Chinese food is just dog dog dog shark fin soup and sea cucumber. These are all considered fairly exotic (keep going toward that side of spectrum and you'll have flesh monkey brain and other fun stuff like that) or something one needs to develop a tatste for. You can go to an authentic Chinese restarunt and order "ordinary" Chinese food and that's....perfectly normal and fine for everyone involved.

An anecdote, before Chinese new year I went to my company's factory outside of Shenzhen to have dinner with the workers and staff there before everyone leaves for the holiday. A dog dish was served and you could tell half the table became kind of uncomfortable. People starting to discuss which region in China actually has custom to eat dog meat and it turns out no one at the table actually developed a taste for it. They enjoyed the blood/rice pudding in the broth though. Some people had a chunk and claimed it was their first, second, or third time eating dog.

Ok, to be fair, the other table ate all the dog meat and ate the mostly untouched dog meat from my table.

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Anidav posted:

A lot of commentators are speculating that he's preparing to seize power and dissolve the CCP. He's already the most powerful politician that China's had since Deng Xiaoping and is showing no signs of stopping. The argument is that he realizes the PRC is fundamentally flawed and is in a precarious place right now thanks to the factionalism in the CCP, exacerbated by the near-critical state of agitation the people are under, meaning that collapse is inevitable, and soon. There's actually a lot of evidence to support this claim, though not enough to confirm it.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Zipline posted:

This is, I understand, the reason why cannibalism is such an extreme taboo in China: They don't have many issues with food, but when they do have them they really mean it. Romance of the Three Kingdoms was mentioned a few pages back, and there's an interesting passage in there. Liu Bei, working for Cao Cao, stops by the house of Liu An. Being a proper host and subject to Liu Bei, Liu An offers him a meal, but afterwards realizes he doesn't have any food, so he kills his wife, carves her up, and serves her flesh to Liu Bei. After Liu Bei discovers where the food he just ate came from, he is moved to tears (though the translation here is unclear) and lauds Liu An, and when Cao Cao hears about it he's equally moved and sends a ton of silver to Liu An for being a good subject. Because we have different taboos the meaning of this passage is lost on westerners, but basically Liu An was so faithful and loyal to his lord that not only was he willing to give up his wife to provide one good meal, but he also broke the biggest taboo to do so.

Also, super hardcore, in that same book Xiahou Dun, another general of Cao Cao, gets shot in the eye by an arrow during a super huge battle. Not willing to leave the field, he pulls the arrow out, along with his eyeball, and unwilling to show weakness, he devours it off the tip of the shaft.

What if this dude didn't like his wife at all? Was there some kind of special bureau who made up these lovely stories about super loyal subjects and insanely hardass generals who eat eyeballs without vinegar dip?

Toys For Twats
Sep 30, 2007
One awesome dude
Having lived in Harbin for a year, I know that dog is mainly eaten by the ethnic koreans up there, I've had it and it's not bad though, like a lot of food like that, you have to go to specific dog restaurants to have it.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
You ate a fuckign dog you loving son of a bitch

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

wait, what? that story is completely retarded. why is eating a human flesh considered a meal at all? why is the folk tale about cannibalism ending with riches and rewards for the cannibals instead of a lesson that it's probably better to starve to death than to eat humans.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

humans

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Ive had both cat and dog and dog was pretty tasty - cat i honestly don't remember much (i was like 7).

but yea dog meat is pretty good and i recommend it to open minded people

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
its worse to eat dog than to eat a human, at least a lovely human

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
must... protect dignity... of... oriental food!

in a surprising turn of events goons have lots of loving strong opinions about stuffing their maws

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
For those wondering, I'd describe it as a sweet, thin meat. Although I had it in a stew so I can't tell if that was it's actual texture.

It's also fairly rich, depending on the cut. I recommend it!

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

My diets like 90% dog meat; i'm a VERY open minded individual.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Dudes from the siege of Leningrad and other places that got starved badly reported that rear end and tights are the things that you want to cook. Gives new meaning to "tasty rear end hotpot"?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

best looking part of the human body tastes best, ground breaking news here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I ate a baby.

• Locked thread