Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Let's find all of the space marines lurking around and ask them what they think of Devries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Publicly release the footage of his clone telling us everything.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

my dad posted:

We need extend our From Below approach to the religious problems aboard the ship. That important priest is chumming up with the nobility, right? That ought to alienate a lot of the downtrodden faithful. If only we could find a firebrand preacher who likes us, we could redirect all that pent up rage the people on the ship feel in a direction DeVries ain't gonna like.

So, we could talk to the Magos and ask her for permission to arrange a bit of propaganda and ritual meant to remind the people that the Omnissiah and the Emperor are one and the same, and that the cogs represent Him as much as aquillas do. (The idea being that we need to do it in a way that won't upset either the techpriests or the clergy - which is easier said than done since the Mechanicum and the Ecclesiarchy don't exactly like each-other) Then, we could redistribute some of our vast wealth in the form of food, entertainment, religious idols and icons, Ohone dolls for kids, stuff like that... The best part of this is that it wouldn't be all that expensive, since the dregs don't need much to be satisfied. Then, we could arrange a loyal priests to hold a sermon or two about the dangers posed by mutants. We could even twist what happened during the Abraxas incident, to make it seem like we would have been able to prevent the disco-mutations and the subsequent mass exodus had the nobility not interfered. The populist approach also has the bonus of cheering up Amacita, making her like us again, and helping us STAB THE SNAKE IN THE BACK. (The Magos should stay behind the scenes and not be directly involved with any of the above, for obvious reasons.)

It's a dangerous gambit. We can't directly guide it because of mister Inquisitor here keeping tabs on us. It can backfire SPECTACULARLY in so many ways. But if it works...

quote:

The Hierophant’s religion was one for the officers and nobles, that of wealth moving up and violence moving down. His power base was substantially damaged by the loss of the Dregs, and he was looking to expand his power base. His alliance with Devries was a natural fit, particularly as the remaining Dregs were being cultivated by Erasmus and Father Kraig. Their religion spoke to the emotional needs of the poor, and you were winning numbers if not power.

We already have our own pet priest. Just need to channel resources appropriately.

I think that in terms of priority, we should go Church / Religion > Merchants > Grey Guards / Seneschal > Gangs

We focus on chucking the Hierophant, or neutering him. Steal his power base and have Father Krieg / Erasmus tie themselves to the Church proper, due to their real ministrations to the people and not loving around playing at war.

Merchants, we offer one of the two power players an alliance between him and Georgi. Georgi is a Golgothan and thus owes us a lot, plus we're the Titan-Killer of Golgotha. By default he's in our corner. If the two power players want to engage in a three way fight, they stand to lose more. If they want to gang up against Georgi, they'll find the rest of the ship turning against them.

We surprised the Seneschal, and we have Captain whatshername from the Grey Guards as our liaison there. True they're not supposed to take sides, but at the very least we'll get a slight bending towards us.

Gangs. Uh. I dunno do we have any rogue type guys in our retinue to talk to these guys. Stealing them back will be tough as we aren't one of them like Devvy is. But at the very least we can offer them a chance to repent before we take it personally.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Huh. I'm starting to lose track of all the politics.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So! Our very own Ghostwoods has offered me some work :D Submissions to a couple Lovecraftian anthologies, 3-8k words.

While this is hella awesome and Im ludicrously happy, this means the CYOA will slow down some. Not stop, and Ill probably still manage a post or two a day, but not five or six.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah Father Kraig is already our religious guy.

Really the only thing our retinue is missing is a psyker. Lowell, when we get back please start screening kids from the deeps and in-between for potential, anyone who has it is sent to Schola on our dime. Long term investment but one that will pay off.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
We should have recruited mother.

We need some terrifyingly powerful single hitters in our retinue.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Okay here's another thing: We're Augustus and we just married Agrippa. We need a Maecenas. Who do we have that can appeal to the cultural sensibilities of the nobility and to a lesser extent the dregs?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Cake?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

VanSandman posted:

Okay here's another thing: We're Augustus and we just married Agrippa. We need a Maecenas. Who do we have that can appeal to the cultural sensibilities of the nobility and to a lesser extent the dregs?
Limosa, but he's dead now

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I agree with the focus on the Ecclesiarchy. It's one of the main power-bases on the ship, and is currently very unstable due to the losses it look during whole Chaos thing. From their perspective, we represent the worst possible thing that could happen: a strong alliance between Bridge and Engine right as the Church is weak.

However, rather than undermining the Ecclesiarchy, I suggest that we instead openly court its favor. The very act of doing so would assuage a lot of worries the Ecclesiarchy has about us.

As I see it, we've got three levers we can use to gain their favor. First, we have Father Kraig, who is currently poaching the Dregs from the Ecclesiarchy. The offer of a truce that brought the Dregs back into the official fold (possibly including Kraig as a de-facto hostage) would go a long ways towards mollifying the worries of the Ecclesiarchy.

Second, we have dirt on Devries. The Ecclesiarchy might be scared of our political power, but they're going to think twice about shacking up with an outright heritic.

Third, we got crazy money. We can just outright bribe them.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Plus, if we use a little bit of tact, we can maybe convince the Ecclesiarchy to go with a more puritan approach to preaching - Siadwell is a radical Inquisitor, it wouldn't hurt to subtly play on that to encourage the local Ecclesiarchy to side with us instead of him. That'll also endear us to Kozilek, who's pretty puritan. In the long run it might mean giving up a few trinkets of loot, but for now at least I don't think there's a lot of evidence that tags us as being radical. The shuriken pistol, possibly the soulstone if anybody found it, but a single gun is awfully minor in the grand scheme of things.

Once we get our sweet eldar staff, on the other hand... But we can cross that bridge when we get to it.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Haystack posted:

I agree with the focus on the Ecclesiarchy. It's one of the main power-bases on the ship, and is currently very unstable due to the losses it look during whole Chaos thing. From their perspective, we represent the worst possible thing that could happen: a strong alliance between Bridge and Engine right as the Church is weak.

However, rather than undermining the Ecclesiarchy, I suggest that we instead openly court its favor. The very act of doing so would assuage a lot of worries the Ecclesiarchy has about us.

As I see it, we've got three levers we can use to gain their favor. First, we have Father Kraig, who is currently poaching the Dregs from the Ecclesiarchy. The offer of a truce that brought the Dregs back into the official fold (possibly including Kraig as a de-facto hostage) would go a long ways towards mollifying the worries of the Ecclesiarchy.

Second, we have dirt on Devries. The Ecclesiarchy might be scared of our political power, but they're going to think twice about shacking up with an outright heritic.

Third, we got crazy money. We can just outright bribe them.

Why give up Kraig when we can have the Hierophant overthrown in favour of a man of the people?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
No need to kill anyone besides Devries yet... but anyone who takes up arms against us should know they get one chance to surrender. After that, their lives are forfeit.

We need the Magos to know we don't want the Dregs vented if there's anything he can do about it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Congratulations, LowellDND.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ghostwoods is SA's resident poacher of aspiring writers. Pretty good gig, honestly, for all parties involved.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

my dad posted:

Ghostwoods is SA's resident poacher of aspiring writers. Pretty good gig, honestly, for all parties involved.

I do try. I'm a writer as well as a publisher, so I'm well used to the lit establishment Shafting of Doom :) I don't wanna be that guy.

EDIT: Ah, yeah, 40k. Right. Um. Ah! We really need to get on Winterswijk's side, if we can.

Ghostwoods fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 27, 2015

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Congrats LowellDND!!!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Thank you all :D Im wicked excited, and Ive sent Ghostwoods some sketches.

Conclave

Bring Limosa’s books with you

Do you want to bring anyone else? Flours etc?

Minions aboard ship:

Make Fabulous your proxy
Threaten gangs

Give out rewards to nobles who stayed loyal

Cultivate Seneschal/Historian/Sincera
Find out bureaucracatic tricks

Religious shenanigans
Golgotha Merchant clan
Screen kids for psyker potential

Long term: design tracking agent/tailored nerve agent

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I really think we should spend any XP we get to boost our Deceive skill. To answer the question: We'll bring our dog with us, of course. And I really think we should spend any surprise XP to boost our Deceive skill. And bring a swarm of skulls, as many as we're permitted. By the way, I really think we should get XP ASAP to boost our Deceive skill. And bring our riding servitor, I'm sure we can come up with an excuse. Speaking of excuses, I really think we should urgently acquire XP to boost our Deceive skill.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

my dad posted:

I really think we should spend any XP we get to boost our Deceive skill. To answer the question: We'll bring our dog with us, of course. And I really think we should spend any surprise XP to boost our Deceive skill. And bring a swarm of skulls, as many as we're permitted. By the way, I really think we should get XP ASAP to boost our Deceive skill. And bring our riding servitor, I'm sure we can come up with an excuse. Speaking of excuses, I really think we should urgently acquire XP to boost our Deceive skill.
my dad what is your opinion of the deceive skill

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Flours (in a custom knit sweater made to look like a suit and tie), Megabyte (also in sweater made to look like a suit and tie), and as many skulls as we are allowed (with ties)

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

my dad posted:

Wait, you want us to get another level in maglev grace ??

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

JT Jag posted:

my dad what is your opinion of the deceive skill

Simplex delendus est.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Wait, you want us to get another level in maglev grace ??

Well, actually, I do. :D

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

If you want, I can give you the XP up to the 'conversations' post, which will give you 200 XP/enough for Deceive +10/+20.

Yes/no?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Oh yeah. I nearly forgot to mention it when I brought up our ship's archivist: We need to hunt for information on the Athena.
The time when mars went by a different title, (or equally possible people stopped using its formal one) is a notable branch in history that should be present in actually written pages - if we can find it. If anyone's library has a chance of containing history books from around the Dark Age, its a rogue trader's private collection.

Basically, if we can prove historically that whatever happened to the mars athena knew wasn't the result of enemy action, it could go an insanely long way to getting that ship off the war path, and putting us in her good graces.
Even something simple like a hull code, manufacturing lot #, or fleet designation would let us dig more into Athena's history from official sources.

The eldar and the inquisition also have equally long memories, but we need to move on our own research first. At least to start, I think I would trust written civilian records more so than anything left from The Fall - due to corruption, coverups, censorship, or just being plain lost.

It would also set the stage for us going to mars in search of information, and that's a scenario I really want to see Lowell's take on.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Not sure if it will be popular, but I'd Like to start putting our feelers To make contact with the "darkness" on the ship. It is either going to help us or hurt us. Either way I'd like to at least get in contact first.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

Not sure if it will be popular, but I'd Like to start putting our feelers To make contact with the "darkness" on the ship. It is either going to help us or hurt us. Either way I'd like to at least get in contact first.
That can wait.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, good call on getting info on the Athena. Plus it'd be a nice way to butter up the librarian - go to them with a complex question, flatter them about how we're sure they're one of the few people who might have a chance at answering it, parlay that into explaining how we know how critical they are to the ship's continuing success, etc., etc. (I don't know if we have time/freedom to do this before the Conclave, but if we do, we should try it.)

Regarding xp, I'd vote yes to Deceive +10, no to Deceive +20. I like Deceive, but I want to save some of our xp for mechadendrite skills. I'm also pretty surprised that Diplomacy +10/+20 is a 200 xp skill, not a 100 xp skill. For some reason I would have thought those two would be together in most classes.

If we're thinking of spending a small amount of xp, would the SL: Imperial Creed skills help us argue inquisitorial law at the Conclave? I don't know what Imperial Creed covers, but if we're going to be caught up in a courtroom drama, it would behoove us to pick up more bonuses to likely tests. Plus it makes sense that Ohone would have spent her time in the isolation room studying the Inquisitorial laws and any info she has on the procedures at a Conclave. We were warned that there would be a conclave and a showdown between Siadwell, Kozilek, and us at the conclave.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
I agree with bringing Megabite.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Arcturas posted:

Regarding xp, I'd vote yes to Deceive +10, no to Deceive +20. I like Deceive, but I want to save some of our xp for mechadendrite skills. I'm also pretty surprised that Diplomacy +10/+20 is a 200 xp skill, not a 100 xp skill. For some reason I would have thought those two would be together in most classes.

If we're thinking of spending a small amount of xp, would the SL: Imperial Creed skills help us argue inquisitorial law at the Conclave? I don't know what Imperial Creed covers, but if we're going to be caught up in a courtroom drama, it would behoove us to pick up more bonuses to likely tests. Plus it makes sense that Ohone would have spent her time in the isolation room studying the Inquisitorial laws and any info she has on the procedures at a Conclave. We were warned that there would be a conclave and a showdown between Siadwell, Kozilek, and us at the conclave.

Ooh, I like this plan.

Deceive+10
SL: Imperial Creed

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

We do need to get another rank of maglev grace (maglev transcendence) before it actually becomes useful. No falling damage at all, and you can levitate at your run speed (rather than your walk speed) for 1d10 minutes longer.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
SL: Imperial Creed is religious doctrine, SL: Judgement and SL: Bureaucracy would cover secular law, and FL: Inquisition covers internal regulations. I strongly suspect any of these would be more useful for what we're about to get into than levitating faster.

Arcturas posted:

I'm also pretty surprised that Diplomacy +10/+20 is a 200 xp skill, not a 100 xp skill. For some reason I would have thought those two would be together in most classes.

Diplomacy was added in a supplement half a decade after the core book was released and is not a part of our standard progression tables at all.

Waci fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 27, 2015

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Talk to the librarian and get more lore skills

Please stop trying to buy maglev talents

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Xun posted:

Never! We need to float everywhere we go!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Never! We need to float everywhere we go!

Become a daemonhost :colbert:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Xun posted:

But we've already bought the one, and we need to buy the other eventually to make it worthwhile.

Also we need to get some ranks in Mastermind and several Mechadendrite Use ranks.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Decieve +10 and FL: Inquisition, please.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Its not worthwhile! Oh my god we can float for 2d10 minutes, that is NOT forever. With the same xp we could be getting stat or skill upgrades that we actually use. When will we need to float over a puddle when we can just as easily step on some pleb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
FL: Inquisition and SL: Beurocracy. This will probably be pretty useful for our trial.