Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Episode 6 or How Claire hosed up good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Franks jobs plan is bad on so many levels.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
ep.5- Hate Unemployment!
ep.6- Hate Claire

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

You know I think our conservative viewers like Frank too much..... Anyway we can fix that?
Yeeah. Everyone in my house did a collective, "Uh-huh. So he's a Democrat?"

A few of us were dead set that Frank's big plan this season would be switching parties.

EatinCake fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 27, 2015

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think having Frank express confusion and anger at the concept of Jesus is laying it on a little thick.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think having Frank express confusion and anger at the concept of Jesus is laying it on a little thick.

Yeah that's how I felt. When he visits the roosevelt memorial later I was totally expecting him to take a dump on one of them and I wasn't about to have that.

prediction: Jane Doe isn't Rachel. Gavin just got desperate and made something up..... :ohdear: although a goon hinted this would happen earlier so I'm probably dead wrong.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 28, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Finale Remark: That was abrupt.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
9 Episodes in and nothing has happened so far. Is the whole season really about getting a bill passed?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

qbert posted:

9 Episodes in and nothing has happened so far. Is the whole season really about getting a bill passed?

I though it was about getting the Democratic nomination?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Hahahaha holy poo poo the monument valley product placement was so loving gross.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo the monument valley product placement was so loving gross.

Honestly not as gross as the Samsung tech demo in the next scene. The Monument Valley mention just felt like, "hey, the young people play mobile games right? Is that the new hotness?"

It could never top this though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHCqw23zU_o

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

suztan posted:

Honestly not as gross as the Samsung tech demo in the next scene. The Monument Valley mention just felt like, "hey, the young people play mobile games right? Is that the new hotness?"

It could never top this though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHCqw23zU_o

Yeah I mean the windows phone product placement is also gross.

It's all gross!!!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Franks jobs plan is bad on so many levels.
All of Frank's plans are bad. The first's season's education bill is ridiculous. In the real world, the UFT alone would have laughed in Frank's face and told him to go gently caress himself.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Politics in HoC are written to carry verisimilitude, but they sure aren't realistic under scrutiny. For example, the Tea Party seems to have formed without there having been a black Democrat president.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Supercar Gautier posted:

Politics in HoC are written to carry verisimilitude, but they sure aren't realistic under scrutiny. For example, the Tea Party seems to have formed without there having been a black Democrat president.
The 90s showed that the Republicans are quite capable of having a massive fit of insanity with a white Democrat president.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Alright, I finished episode 1 and I'm pretty bored. Is the Not-Putin stuff worth watching?

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Alright, I finished episode 1 and I'm pretty bored. Is the Not-Putin stuff worth watching?

It's worth it for where it goes with Claire, personally.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Aight, finished the first two episodes.

Pros:

- Mendoza and the other Republicans were such a non-presence last season, which was particularly frustrating because you have to try to write the modern GOP as anything other than garish, cartoonish entertainment. Imagine my surprise when he stunted all over Claire in episode 2 with some grade A disingenuous shitheadedness. Please keep it up, Mendoza!
- My boy Remy is getting paid, so all is well in the universe. He hasn't been given much to do yet, but I was worried they were going to sideline him immediately in favor of Stamper. Speaking of which . . .

Cons:

- Stamper can blow me, his long recovery and neediness can blow me, and I'm really sad that the first episode didn't end with him insisting increasingly belligerently to Frank that he get his job back, until Frank threw him in front of a speeding train
- This show is still so garishly post-policy that I can't stop laughing

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

suztan posted:

It's worth it for where it goes with Claire, personally.

I still don't get how she went from an petty sociopath in season one to an unlikable but decent (so far) person in season 3.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I still don't get how she went from an petty sociopath in season one to an unlikable but decent person in season 3.

She wasn't a sociopath though. She'd do bad things then be remorseful in private.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Why the hell is Stamper still alive.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I was semi-interested in Stamper when he seemed to be in "gently caress Frank, I'm doing my own thing now" mode, but now (episode 8) it looks like it's all been ploy to get back into Frank's graces and be his crony again, and I'm suddenly bored with him.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Lycus posted:

She wasn't a sociopath though. She'd do bad things then be remorseful in private.

You're right.

Anyway speaking of Stamper, I just got to the part where episode 11: Gavin told stamper that Rachel is still alive and it's obvious he's the easiest dude in the world to take advantage of. I can totally see Gavin yelling "SIKE! She's dead idiot!" after he gets what he wants.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uhhhh, in the Putin episode, are they singing the Tetris song? :stare: Is that some kind of traditional Russian tune that got MIDI-fied for that game?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Uhhhh, in the Putin episode, are they singing the Tetris song? :stare: Is that some kind of traditional Russian tune that got MIDI-fied for that game?

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W80xBX0jK-c

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

good catch :)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Only watched the first ep so far. Does it bother Frank that he'll "only" have about 6 1/2 years in office if he wins in 2016? He can't run in 2020 because Constitutionally a president cannot serve more than 10 years.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A Pussy Riot music video at the end of a HoC episode?! :swoon: This rules

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
That's a rap for me. Didn't read anything, and saw spoiler tags being used so I will say I loved it and I screamed step away from the dais and thought my Netflix broke at some point! Enjoy guys!!!

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

EatinCake posted:

A few of us were dead set that Frank's big plan this season would be switching parties.

Thought the same at some points, thought a lot of other things at points too, will discuss when I figure out what the spoiler policy 'really' is.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Retail Slave posted:

Only watched the first ep so far. Does it bother Frank that he'll "only" have about 6 1/2 years in office if he wins in 2016? He can't run in 2020 because Constitutionally a president cannot serve more than 10 years.

Sorry for triple post probably mods, but don't know how to multi-quote or spoiler tag.

Anyway, yeah, I wished it would have worked out so he would have gotten 2 years or less of the last guys term so he could be POTUS 10 years, if they wanted to run that long, but oc they wont.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

This author is a horrible actor. I think emoting might make him short circuit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nooneofconsequence posted:

Why the hell is Stamper still alive.

Michael Kelly is probably eye candy for the ladies who watch the show. Dude's in good shape and gets laid more than anyone else this season.

Also Doug Stamper is interesting as a character.

Retardog posted:

This author is a horrible actor. I think emoting might make him short circuit.

Yeah seriously where did they find that guy? And is there a real-world analogue of him that I'm blanking on? You know, guy who wrote one great novel, has written mostly garbage since then, but is still loved? Don't say George RR Martin either, dicks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Well, I've got God's ear now!"

Hahahahaha, goddamn, that whole scene was fantastic. I love you, Frank :allears:

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

precision posted:

Michael Kelly is probably eye candy for the ladies who watch the show. Dude's in good shape and gets laid more than anyone else this season.

I like his character too but it's a pretty bold statement to say he's attractive to anyone other than people who have a fetish for middle-aged alcoholic uncles.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Just wrapped the season. Gotta say that even though the plot spun its wheels for quite a while, the performances were excellent. Not-Putin was just as much of a scenery chewer as Spacey and it was great to watch. Wish there was more of the ruthless Frank we saw in S1 and S2 but I suppose we'll see that more in S4?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

suztan posted:

I like his character too but it's a pretty bold statement to say he's attractive to anyone other than people who have a fetish for middle-aged alcoholic uncles.

The target demo for this show is probably quite a bit older than for others. Stamper looks pretty old in the face but that shower scene showed he's actually in good shape.

Standards of beauty for men are weird things. Michael Kelly isn't Brad Pitt but he is certainly attractive in a conventional sense I think

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Finished it.

Huh. As a whole, there were a lot of small subplots that were interesting. The Putin guy was neat.

Overall this show is one giant arc of watching lovely people build a house of cards out of lovely actions and the inevitable repercussions for their actions. ...this season didn't really make out the characters to be any worse than they were previously, and as a result it just seems kinda unnecessary.

Happy to see Claire leave Frank, but I think the whole show would be more effective had they had everything fall out at once.

Also, Doug's character is brilliantly written, and I will watch this series in it's entirety to see karma destroy him.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I'm confused; was the tibetan chanting during (i.e. not the in the end of) episode 7 supposed to be diegetic or not?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Done.

Probably my least favorite season so far, didn't have quite the same unpredictable vibe as the previous two, but I still enjoyed it a lot.

loving Doug though. That cold-rear end poo poo made me sick to my stomach.

ass cobra fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I really don't get Doug's syringe thing at all /

• Locked thread