Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Jedit posted:

None of that is in any way relevant. Different companies have different attitudes. Asmodee aren't going to remove the app from the stores, but they may not want to put any resources into digital/physical hybrids.

Well, according to the press release Asmodee aren't going to be taking direct control of FFG operations. If you want to speculate that within 5 years Asmodee will decided that running FFG as a separate entity isn't viable long term, restructure everything and then decide that it isn't worth running a digital component; go for it. That doesn't seem likely though. Absorbing Z-Man makes sense as they tended to just be the U.S. printer for a lot of euros and don't have as strong a model and structure for their existing lines as FFG does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
How are the new Carcassonne expansions? Considering getting back into it

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

MickRaider posted:

How are the new Carcassonne expansions? Considering getting back into it

Here's an updated version of my prior response to this time-honored question:

Beelzebozo posted:

The number I list in brackets is the order in which I would recommend purchasing the expansions, assuming you're willing to purchase some number of them less than the total number offered.
  • River: This is a separate set of tiles that is played before the other tile sets you choose. It is a boring phase of the game taken on its own, but it can set the table for more interesting segregation plays later on. I prefer not using it. [5]
  • Inns & Cathedrals: This adds a double-strength meeple as well as two kinds of tiles that can be used either offensively as point multipliers or defensively as point negaters. This changes the game dramatically in a way that I quite like but that you might not want to use every time. [2]
  • Traders & Builders: This adds two new workers, one that grants extra turns in unfinished features and another that acts as a farm point multiplier, as well as new tiles that give you a reason to complete a city in which you have no equity, which is interesting. I really love every aspect of this expansion. [1]
  • Princess & Dragon: This adds a hodge-podge of new mechanics, each of which is more or less reviled for various reasons. The fairy is a frustrating tug of war that rewards you for tiles you'd otherwise be throwing away. The dragon feels way too random and hard to play around, especially given that you can move the fairy (immunity) on the same turn in which you activate it. Kicking people out of features is too harsh for something that can't be guarded against. And portaling meeples to uncashed fields is too strong for a random draw. This expansion is a great way to help weaker players win matches against stronger ones. Recommend avoid. [6]
  • Phantom: This adds a meeple that can be placed on the same tile in the same turn as another meeple. It captures those free road points you used to pass on when laying a multi-feature tile on which you preferred to stake a city. It's a nice option to throw on any other game for only a buck. I enjoy it. Just don't "save" it so much that you forget to use it, just like you did with that double-meeple above. [4]
  • Winter: This is basically a reskin of the base tile set (update: and now all the expansions too!) in a snowy theme, but it also adds a new community meeple type as well as twelve new basic tile designs and six new special tiles that work with the new meep. The gingerbread man travels from city to city handing out bonus points. It works a bit like the fairy from P&D works when she's not warding off the dragon. It's a fun twist that doesn't change the core strategy much. [3]
  • Double Base Tile Set: Just as it says on the tin, this lets you play with two copies of each base tile. Apparently people do this with the tabletop game to get longer rounds with higher player counts. It is completely worthless. If you want to play a longer game, throw in more of the real expansions and get some variety. You won't include this set more than once. [7]

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 12, 2015

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Beelzebozo posted:

Here's an updated version of my prior response to this time-honored question:

I didn't need a synopsis. Just a question if some of the people that I played with enjoyed it or not, and if they're still playing

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Yes. I have the expansions and still play a little.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Thanks for the expansion explanations! I only have the River set IRL, and always wondered about buying some for either the board game or iPad. Might give Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders a shot digitally first.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I actually just started playing the actual board game of Carcassonne a few weekends ago, after playing the app without expansions for a long time. The base game included the River, and while it doesn't seem to change a lot, it's not bad. I thought about getting the river expansion in the app, but it seemed like the cards are slightly different. In the app, there's a piece with a bridge connecting two pieces of a city, for example, but I remember a few other ones were different. It says the expansion is 12 tiles, same number as the ones that came with the real card game, so is it just a special version for the app?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Nybble posted:

Thanks for the expansion explanations! I only have the River set IRL, and always wondered about buying some for either the board game or iPad. Might give Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders a shot digitally first.

Feel free to invite me if you're in need of opponents. My GameCenter name is Fire Sauce.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

drat I guess I shouldn't have bought the double tile set

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I actually just started playing the actual board game of Carcassonne a few weekends ago, after playing the app without expansions for a long time. The base game included the River, and while it doesn't seem to change a lot, it's not bad. I thought about getting the river expansion in the app, but it seemed like the cards are slightly different. In the app, there's a piece with a bridge connecting two pieces of a city, for example, but I remember a few other ones were different. It says the expansion is 12 tiles, same number as the ones that came with the real card game, so is it just a special version for the app?

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I believe there's both a Rivers and Rivers 2 expansion for the physical Carcassonne. Depending on which version you played, it may have been Rivers 2. I think some versions of the game come with River, River 2 or both sets of Rivers expansions.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The River on its own is a really bad expansion. It creates massive game-changing farms that can make a moot point of playing the game in the first place. They released The River 2 that adds more cut-off points so that you can't build farms that encircle three sides of a river. It actually makes a much more interesting game than without but you really should have both.

I posted this in the ios games section but this seems a good place to ask as well:

Are there any basic game builder apps for ios? I'm thinking something like Zuntsu or Vassal where you can build and create your own game boxes. Something even simpler would do. What I'm looking for is some kind of interface where you can drop in generic chits and counters for DIY boardgaming. I don't intend on recreating/stealing anything real already. I just want to put something together in a portable touchscreen format instead of the tedious work of mixing the pieces to board games I already own.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

I posted this in the ios games section but this seems a good place to ask as well:

Are there any basic game builder apps for ios? I'm thinking something like Zuntsu or Vassal where you can build and create your own game boxes. Something even simpler would do. What I'm looking for is some kind of interface where you can drop in generic chits and counters for DIY boardgaming. I don't intend on recreating/stealing anything real already. I just want to put something together in a portable touchscreen format instead of the tedious work of mixing the pieces to board games I already own.

It's not exactly what you are after, but it does some of it.

A few of us goony board game folks play Lord of the Rings and Star Wars card games online on the iPad (as well as Mage Knight, and Mage Wars) using a program called CardWarden. It takes some setting up however, and isn't for the faint of heart. Cards, tiles, tokens and dice are all handled okay. But there's no rule enforcement and online play isn't problem free. It's still actively developed, so updates get released every 4-6 months.

If you're designing your own thing, it might work. It isn't as good as Tabletop Simulator or VASSAL.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 13, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You guys are insane for not liking the double tiles. Nothing beats a vanilla game with only the double tile expansion. And optionally the no fields rule.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
On the BGG iOS news page, there's a preview of 7 Wonders on the iPad and it looks SO drat SLICK.

I can't wait!

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You guys are insane for not liking the double tiles. Nothing beats a vanilla game with only the double tile expansion. And optionally the no fields rule.

I love vanilla + double tile.

Except for the fact that 1v1, computer has no idea how to handle that. 1v1v1v1v1, however, works out a bit better.

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
I apologize if a list exists somewhere else in the thread, but I'm curious for suggestions for a board game newbie. Aside from classics like Monopoly I played as a kid, I haven't touched a board game in 15-20 years. I have an iPad Air 2 I love gaming on and I figured I should give board gaming a try.

What are some good ones to start with that aren't overly complex for a newbie? I'm assuming I can transition to the more complicated and deep games later.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

mid83 posted:

I apologize if a list exists somewhere else in the thread, but I'm curious for suggestions for a board game newbie. Aside from classics like Monopoly I played as a kid, I haven't touched a board game in 15-20 years. I have an iPad Air 2 I love gaming on and I figured I should give board gaming a try.

What are some good ones to start with that aren't overly complex for a newbie? I'm assuming I can transition to the more complicated and deep games later.

Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride?

Edit: Lords of Waterdeep is great, too.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Ascension as well if you're willing to go the card game route.

Meep
Oct 7, 2000
Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride are pretty much the standard for easing into modern board gaming. I haven't played Lords of Waterdeep myself yet but from what I've read newer players tend to like it while more experienced players start seeing its flaws pretty quick. Ascension isn't a very good suggestion, it's not particularly simple or particularly good. Hearthstone would be a much better choice if you want an easy to learn card game, it's freemium and pretty generous with its in-game currency. Dominion is another well regarded card game. It doesn't have an app yet unfortunately, but you can play it on playdominion.com in Safari for free and it works. Sometimes. It can be a bit buggy. They've been working on an iOS app version of it forever, last I heard its supposed to be coming out sometime early this year.

Meep fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 21, 2015

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Agricola has a pretty easy to follow tutorial. Galaxy Trucker, as well.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

COOL CORN posted:

On the BGG iOS news page, there's a preview of 7 Wonders on the iPad and it looks SO drat SLICK.

I can't wait!

Do you have a link? I like BGG but the design of the news part of the site is complete arse if you're trying to find a specific article.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

pumpinglemma posted:

Do you have a link? I like BGG but the design of the news part of the site is complete arse if you're trying to find a specific article.

Sure, here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sztZyDb-DI

I agree about BGG - the design of the whole site is complete arse in my opinion, BUT it's the best of its kind.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Seconding Ticket to Ride/Carcassonne/Galaxy Trucker. My girlfriend who previously never played any games other than aforementioned children's "classics" like Monopoly or whatever loves all three of these and their iOS adaptations are great.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Was TTR ever updated to not be terrible at notifications?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
TTR is a bad asynchronous game. It's very easy to forget what your plan is between turns, and there's just one decision to make each time you open the app. A ton of your time in an async TTR game is going to be reacquainting yourself with the board state and then drawing two cards. How exciting. It's great in-person, though. Plays much faster than the tabletop version.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I never understood the hype for TTR. Turns consisting of nothing but drawing cards are not fun, and it's like a whole game designed around 90% that and 10% actual playing and interaction with the board or players.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's a fine entry-level game to get people used to board games that have more depth than monopoly while still being simple enough to avoid frequent action paralysis. It's something I'd play with my parents or for a "light" game between deeper ones. Plus because there isn't that much long-term strategic planning that you need to do, it's a better one for general socialization and table-chat.

Really can't see playing it asynchronous though. There are plenty of games where asynchronous works well, this ain't one of them.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Yeh, it's one of those games everyone has to have in their collection (or something like it) to play with people who aren't gamers, but that you want to introduce to real board games.

I like it because (as well as the gateway thing above) it becomes really really cutthroat and adversarial when you are in a group that has played it a lot. It's about the nastiest, passive-aggressive game going. It always lets you say "Oh, wow, I never noticed my move screwed you over, I am so sorry!". But everyone really knows, obviously. It's a good solid game.

I think it plays an awful lot better in person, because that screwing people over, which is the core principal of the game, becomes so much more fun when you see the people you're loving over get frustrated. Online is ok, but loses a bit for me.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 2, 2015

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

I'm pretty disappointed in the new carcassonne expansions. Oh well.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

MickRaider posted:

I'm pretty disappointed in the new carcassonne expansions. Oh well.

If you hung out in the meatspace boardgame thread you would have known better :)

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Does anyone know if Star Realms is supposed to get any expansions? I feel like I've played through all the content currently and just want more. It's such a great deck building game.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

djfooboo posted:

If you hung out in the meatspace boardgame thread you would have known better :)

Or maybe somebody else could've responded to his initial inquiry in this thread with few enough words that he could bother reading them without getting salty.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

SquadronROE posted:

Does anyone know if Star Realms is supposed to get any expansions? I feel like I've played through all the content currently and just want more. It's such a great deck building game.

They put out a cardboard one late last year, and it is coming to the digital version this week.

Source: http://www.pockettactics.com/news/ios-news/screenshots-gambit-first-expansion-star-realms-coming-ios-android-later-week/

I'll be happy to play some games with you once it hits (or before!) at the same username as here.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

djfooboo posted:

No idea what this is.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

MickRaider posted:

No idea what this is.

Behold!

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

SquadronROE posted:

Gambits expansion is now available in-app (update first) for $3.99 in the US. Challenge Beelzebozo for a hot gambits match.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
:tipshat:
I've seen a lot of things in my day but that thread is something else.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Kekekela posted:

:tipshat:
I've seen a lot of things in my day but that thread is something else.

You read one of Broken Looses posts, didn't you? Don't worry, most of us are nothing like that depressing.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Funso Banjo posted:

You read one of Broken Looses posts, didn't you? Don't worry, most of us are nothing like that depressing.

That dude single-handedly caused me to quit pokémon forever. He's pretty depressing.

edit: That thread moves fast, and often I flip through several missed pages at once just looking for trusted and respected posters to stop and read, like JoshtheStampede

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Beelzebozo posted:

That dude single-handedly caused me to quit pokémon forever. He's pretty depressing.

He's not the hero we want, he's the hero we need.

• Locked thread