Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What do you think of it versus Ashcloud Phoenix? Ashcloud seems better if you can reasonably flip it up, but I can imagine this being better in most red decks where you'd rather it could weather a board-wipe/small removal completely, while also providing value even if killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Excluding Dragon tribal shenanigans, I don't think this card is Standard playable because it's worse than Ashcloud Phoenix.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Elyv posted:

Excluding Dragon tribal shenanigans, I don't think this card is Standard playable because it's worse than Ashcloud Phoenix.

It's not worse than Ashcloud Phoenix. This card dodges almost all burn-based removal except for Stoke, as well as dodging Bile Blight. Also you would much rather play this dude against any deck with Polukranos. I also think the more aggressive decks would prefer the 3 damage over resiliency in their dudes in a lot of matchups.

They both have their pros and cons and which one you play will probably end up being a meta call. Personally I think this guy ends up getting played in Standard, easy.

qbert fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 3, 2015

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

It is even better, a japanese player said it is actually

quote:

whenver a dragon you control is targeted, deal 3 damage

Should easily slide into a deck with stormbreath for bonus shenanigans.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk
That is so good I actually don't believe it can be true.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

If it's whenever a dragon is targeted this thing will be bug poo poo crazy and curving it into Stormbreath will kick rear end. If it's whenever this is targeted it's still super good.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Symphonie posted:

That is so good I actually don't believe it can be true.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If we get a bunch more dragons with "Whenever a dragon creature you control..." I'll really want to see some kind of Dragon-Ramp strategy.

Probably Temur with Ascendancy and Dragon Tempest as sources of Haste for your dragons and Rattleclaw Mystics for color fixing ramp. I know it'd be awful but I'd still love to see it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

jassi007 posted:

It is even better, a japanese player said it is actually

Should easily slide into a deck with stormbreath for bonus shenanigans.

A great value Red creature that ALSO makes Stormbreath even BETTER?

I know what I'm playing when Dragons comes out.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is it time to buy Crucible of Fire?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Say it with me:

Mono-Dragon Devotion. :smaug:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
If nothing else on the finance side that thing has to be EDH gold, foils seem a great pickup. Pre-release boxes are going to two color I'd guess so good chance for that to be one of the RG promo's.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Regent -> Stormbreath -> OG Kolaghan -> :stare:

Jesus christ that's mental.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Really want mono R Devotion to be at least semi - playable. Eidolon of the Great Revel, Phoenixes, this, and Stormbreath are a great start.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ashcloud Phoenix is good and wouldn't be fully replaced, but there are some things I like about this new dragon. For instance, I think I'd prefer it as a curve-topper because it doesn't die to Anger of the Gods/Magma Spray or get badly hurt by other sweepers and small removal. There are also times when I'd prefer a Lava Spike over an expensive to flip morph that can't connect with my opponent.

Also holy poo poo it definitely looks like it's all dragons, hell yeah. Imagine sticking two of these.

Now watch as Literally Siege Rhino With Wings kills all our dreams

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 3, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

jassi007 posted:

If nothing else on the finance side that thing has to be EDH gold, foils seem a great pickup. Pre-release boxes are going to two color I'd guess so good chance for that to be one of the RG promo's.

Nope. That's Kolaghan's watermark. The breathing Lightning was also a clue

Maybe the BR box will have it though.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Elder dragon chat - everyone who is mad that these guys are stepping on bolas are aware of another 10 elder dragons, right? Invasion and then the time spiral block ones?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Those are just dragon legends. People are flipping out over a five letter word, basically.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Cernunnos posted:

Nope. That's Kolaghan's watermark. The breathing Lightning was also a clue

Maybe the BR box will have it though.

Jeez Sarkhan, sorry i'm not a Dargon master. :P

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sigma-X posted:

Elder dragon chat - everyone who is mad that these guys are stepping on bolas are aware of another 10 elder dragons, right? Invasion and then the time spiral block ones?

They're bitching about them having the Elder type which the Invasion and Planar Chaos dragons don't have.

t:elder

jassi007 posted:

Jeez Sarkhan, sorry i'm not a Dargon master. :P

Don't mind me. I'm just :spergin: over here.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 3, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Literally what Labyrinth Champion could've been, holy poo poo.

I want to play with these so bad.

Edit: And then I searched the thread harder and saw that it's all dragons and not just it.

Buying a playset as soon as they're pre-orderable, I'm gonna enjoy curving into that and Stormbreath. Wow.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 3, 2015

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

those don't have the subtype elder

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This card seems really good for what red normally gets, but I think Ashcloud might still be more playable in standard. I guess it comes down to whether a 2/2 body that becomes more relevant late game is better or worse than a lightning strike(s) to the face.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Dragons that breathe lightning are strictly better than other dragons.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

This card seems really good for what red normally gets, but I think Ashcloud might still be more playable in standard. I guess it comes down to whether a 2/2 body that becomes more relevant late game is better or worse than a lightning strike(s) to the face.

Absolutely. But if there's one color that usually doesn't want to play a late game, it's red, and that's a big part of why this card shines.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The problem is that flipping up a Ashcloud isn't always a profitable thing to do. That is not to suggest this guy is in fact better, but its a consideration.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

gang sines posted:

those don't have the subtype elder

My memory failed me. I could swear that they were elder dragon legends, but yeah I guess the elder but wasn't true.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

Dragons that breathe lightning are strictly better than other dragons.
I wonder if they communicate entirely in lightning bolts.

Love within Kologhan's brood is less than three

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also 4 toughness is a lot more than 1, which is super relevant when everyone is bringing in small creature hate against you (and one of the most popular ones kills Ashcloud entirely).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If elfball is a deck, can Dragonball be a deck? Pretty please?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gyshall posted:

That thing is an absolute house. The art is kind of meh but I assume it is a dragon and not a pheonix?

You got a problem with hot pink dragons, dude? :smaug:

I'm definitely going to be calling it "Pinky".

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

My spirit animal

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ashcloud is fringe playable and this is worse than Ashcloud.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

My absolute favourite thing about spoiler season is everyone going absolute batshit about new cards, presumably so that when Standard Playable Chase Rare is playable they can look at their posts and pat themselves on the back for being how right they were.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

STiL. posted:

My absolute favourite thing about spoiler season is everyone going absolute batshit about new cards, presumably so that when Standard Playable Chase Rare is playable they can look at their posts and pat themselves on the back for being how right they were.

And then mcmagic also shows up to poo poo on everybody's parade.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

To add content about the new Dragon, I don't think anyone would be surprised if it sees play but it's fairly evident that it won't be the only reason to be playing Dragons. I suppose it's a sign of the times that an aggresively-costed card like that fits into the old 'uncommon' niche in deckbuilding; cards that supplemented a deck's plan by being solid but not being the actual 'engine' cards. Except nowadays our supplemental cards are 4/4 fliers for 4 with a really good ability.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

mcmagic posted:

Ashcloud is fringe playable and this is worse than Ashcloud.

dang i cant think of any other card in standard with similar effects that is even remotely playable either but you really should stop sieging this thread like this

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

STiL. posted:

To add content about the new Dragon, I don't think anyone would be surprised if it sees play but it's fairly evident that it won't be the only reason to be playing Dragons. I suppose it's a sign of the times that an aggresively-costed card like that fits into the old 'uncommon' niche in deckbuilding; cards that supplemented a deck's plan by being solid but not being the actual 'engine' cards. Except nowadays our supplemental cards are 4/4 fliers for 4 with a really good ability.

Its fringe playable by itself, but it wouldn't go in a deck that doesn't already have Stormbreath Dragon in it.

Whether this is actually better than Ashcloud Pheonix or not depends on what your average value is from Ashcloud. Most of the time for me I'd say Ashcloud dies, then never flips.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I look forward to seeing what is done with Exploit, but I'm curious about why it is templated as it is, with the ability explained on it's own, with no inherent upside, then a condition printed separately. Going by things like Battalion, I would have expected something like:

The current template lets them print cards that do poo poo when you "exploit" a creature; the way you wrote it makes exploiting mechanically indistinguishable from other sacrifice effects and there's no way for a card that cares about cards that exploit to work with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

now argue about this one

• Locked thread