Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Carlin's source for the bone field stuff is Donovan Webster's Aftermath: The Remnants of War. Whom he believes is credible. I found a dissucssion on the HH forums where Carlin defends he choice to include it http://www.dancarlin.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14953&start=60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Regarding the bone fields, Carlin describes it more as something that's "said" to be in russia, and immediately follows that statement with a skeptical "A part of me feels If it were real, we probably would have heard more about it.", then he quotes from the aforementioned book. If nothing else, it's at least not presented as 100% historical fact, even if he says he sees the author as reliable.

fatherboxx posted:

I live in ex-Stalingrad and a whole lot of bones sticking out of earth would have been the most metal thing for kids to explore, sadly all we got is digging for rusty pieces of iron. My only memory from a school trip around the "brotherly graves" sites is the unholy stench of the nearby bird factory.
I mean, do you really expect from Soviets to leave grim and natural reminders of the war just laying there while there was a massive, dedicated effort to rebuild the whole city from ground zero?

The nearest major city is volgograd, but the actual mystery bone pile is supposed to be "in the middle of nowhere", somewhere on the steppes as there's described to be empty plains for "miles" around them.

Yes, I have no self control and I bought Ghosts since my last post about it. ;(

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 23, 2015

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yes, I have no self control and I bought Ghosts since my last post about it. ;(

You did a good thing.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Don't forget Punic Nightmares

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Don't forget Punic Nightmares

Yeah Punic Nightmare is top tier.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

outlier posted:

That's interesting because I was slightly taken back by his depiction of the tsar in the latest episode, whom he paints as disinterested in ruling, at least relative to his devotion to his family. I'm reading Orlando Figes "A Peoples Tragedy: A History of the Russian Revolution" at the moment, and it seems to tell an entirely different story: an ill-prepared ruler who nonetheless is over-fascinated with administration and wedded to the idea of the tsar as an autocratic ruler, over-confident of his expertise and although eager to think of himself as protector of the peasantry, completely disconnected from the realities of what is going on.

Carlin is trying to tell the story of WW1 and not the Russian Revolution of course, but it seemed like a strange emphasis to take, eliding the role the the tsar's incompetence played in igniting the revolution.
I'm not a historian, but different historians place different emphases on aspects of the tsar's personality. I forget if Figes notes how much of a ditherer Nicholas was in terms of policy, but there's certainly some historians who point out how weak of a ruler he was in terms of personality.

There's likely some truth to both -- out of his depth, often focusing more on his family than his job, but devoted to maintaining the position of the Tsar because that's what he was born to do, without recognising that ceding some of his power might be necessary to keep himself in power.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is Mike Duncan an historian?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

He's researching and presenting history. He's a historian even if he works mainly from secondary sources.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
If Doris Kearns Goodwin gets to be called a historian, then Mike Duncan does also.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Kurtofan posted:

That's a question of semantics, but he is thorough enough in his sourcing that information he gives is generally reliable, so I'd say yes.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Carlin is hit or miss with Common Sense. The show on Charlie Hebdo he both missed the point and was smug about it too, but I have to say he hit the nail on the head this last one about income inequality.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Carlin is hit or miss with Common Sense. The show on Charlie Hebdo he both missed the point and was smug about it too, but I have to say he hit the nail on the head this last one about income inequality.

Pretty sure I've heard him say he expects people to agree with him half the time. At least that's my experience. I don't really enjoy his show more or less when I think he's wrong though, he's just a good talker no matter what the subject, and typically seems to use real sources at least. Though his Ukraine shows seemed Alex Jonesish and stupid.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I know I'm late to the party at this point but Ghosts of the Ostfront is the best and is what got me into Carlin. I've listened to the whole thing 3 times over the last few years during work commutes.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
trying Skeptoid for the first time ever, high. based on this thread's recommendations
listened to the UFO listener feedback episode :lol: I love how all the messages are read in the same dumb filtered voice
and the (still imprisoned??) host has a great podcast voice :smugdog:

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

trying Skeptoid for the first time ever, high. based on this thread's recommendations
listened to the UFO listener feedback episode :lol: I love how all the messages are read in the same dumb filtered voice
and the (still imprisoned??) host has a great podcast voice :smugdog:

He really is the worst. I assume he was picked on a lot so that's why he talks about smoking cigars in hot tubs. I still listen to the show though because it's short and there's no banter and the editing isn't irritating.

edit -

Ariza fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 2, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
his voice is kind of like a "SERIOUS GUY" voice I might have done in high school, but somehow prolonged for the entirety of a podcast episode. I love it

(also a little Muppet and/or Sesame Street?)

(he sounds demonic in the Pope Joan episode and it's freaking me out)

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 2, 2015

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine two punch drunk prize fighters duking it out on the beach from Planet of the Apes

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Anybody listened to "Prof. CJ's Dangerous History" podcast? It's kind of a Hardcore History ripoff, and he has a really annoying libertarian viewpoint on a lot of things. But I initially stumbled upon him because I listened to his episodes on the Bronze Age Collapse and the Greek Dark Age, and they were pretty decent actually. I was much more disappointed when I listened to his collapse of Western Rome episode, though. No, dumbass, the social safety net was NOT a reason why Western Rome fell.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So has it ever been proven that the host of Skeptoid was framed by a Masonic conspiracy?

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Why would the masonic conspiracy frame their own misinformation agent?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Exactly why it's so devious.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Maybe Dunning ran afoul of his big pharma paymasters and this is how they dealt with him.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Majorian posted:

Anybody listened to "Prof. CJ's Dangerous History" podcast? It's kind of a Hardcore History ripoff, and he has a really annoying libertarian viewpoint on a lot of things. But I initially stumbled upon him because I listened to his episodes on the Bronze Age Collapse and the Greek Dark Age, and they were pretty decent actually. I was much more disappointed when I listened to his collapse of Western Rome episode, though. No, dumbass, the social safety net was NOT a reason why Western Rome fell.

I almost want to listen so that I can find out how libertarianism could potentially function in a world without easy transportation or communication.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I was listening to the Thor's Angels episode of hardcore history today because I was desperate for a podcast and hadn't heard it before. I think I avoided it earlier because I just looked at the title and I'm not too into vikings, but it turned out to be really awesome, not about vikings and referenced the planet of the apes over and over. Anyway, at the end he talked about all these interesting plans about putting out more shortform stuff, interviews and generally more content. This podcast was from early 2012 and that never even remotely happened. I guess dan really can't be trusted to ever do a short podcast himself, but I think the interview thing would be a great idea to get out some more content without too much work on his part. Just find some academic historians who are good at talking and ask them to describe their research interests as though it was a heavyweight titlefight

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I've just finished bingeing through Blueprint for Armageddon - has he said how many episodes it's intended to last? Based on what I already know of the war, I'd guess at another two episodes, but has there ever been any definitive information either way?

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

joe football posted:

I was listening to the Thor's Angels episode of hardcore history today because I was desperate for a podcast and hadn't heard it before. I think I avoided it earlier because I just looked at the title and I'm not too into vikings, but it turned out to be really awesome, not about vikings and referenced the planet of the apes over and over. Anyway, at the end he talked about all these interesting plans about putting out more shortform stuff, interviews and generally more content. This podcast was from early 2012 and that never even remotely happened. I guess dan really can't be trusted to ever do a short podcast himself, but I think the interview thing would be a great idea to get out some more content without too much work on his part. Just find some academic historians who are good at talking and ask them to describe their research interests as though it was a heavyweight titlefight

He did do a couple interviews and a couple 'blitz' episodes that are more short in terms of time spent on research than actual length of podcast. He did settle back in to just doing traditional HH after that though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hahah, Skeptoid is legit one of my favorite podcasts now somehow. It bums me out because the current host guy I don't even bother listening to (it helps that I have hundreds of Dunning eps to catch up on), it really isn't the same show without smugvoice. I still skip the episodes where he does lovely little jingles or gets too cute (him whining about Kanye West or Justin Bieber or w/e at the end of an episode to get funding is always hilarious and lame even without considering the whole prison thing), and sometimes he has some ideological positions or vibes I find questionable (like Carlin but nowhere near as often, no one's perfect), but man there's a lot of great content. Listener Feedback, all of the little oddities and things being discussed, fun conspiracy debunking, I kinda love it.
As cynical as it may be, I kind of hope he's going to just jump back and get on with the show once he's out of prison, I really couldn't give a gently caress about his whole scandal or ripping off eBay or w/e since it's not like you're gonna catch me donating to a podcast anyway. Although it will forever ruin/void Listener feedback, I think, since all the conspiracy nuts could just be like "Oh yeah, well you're a loving crook". It does kind of hurt his credibility as a host. Though obviously with Listener feedback he just selectively went over responses so I'm sure he could just uhhh, ignore the ones pointing out his fall from grace.
Normally I hated podcasts with eps this short, since I stick to podcasts where I can just play something that'll be an hour or longer and leave it on...but Skeptoid has proven to be the exception, I really do like the format and episode lengths. Despite seeming too short on paper they never seem too short on listening and they transition so smoothly that I can just leave it on as it goes episode by episode.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

So I finally started listening to Blueprint for Armageddon.

I thought you guys were exaggerating about the boxing analogies. :stare:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Someone on D&D linked to My History Can Beat Up Your Politics and I think it's just great. The host's voice reminds me a lot of Dan Carlin, except he speaks much slower, doesn't get lost in boxing analogies and doesn't sound so conspiratorial/AM radio shock jock.

I've so far listened to an episode where he talks about Nixon, and the part where he explains the Anna Chennault affair is particularly topical as of the last 2-3 days.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Someone on D&D linked to My History Can Beat Up Your Politics and I think it's just great. The host's voice reminds me a lot of Dan Carlin, except he speaks much slower, doesn't get lost in boxing analogies and doesn't sound so conspiratorial/AM radio shock jock.

I've so far listened to an episode where he talks about Nixon, and the part where he explains the Anna Chennault affair is particularly topical as of the last 2-3 days.

I like this podcast a lot and I've been listening to it for years. If I have to choose one complaint, it's how corny his imitations of various U.S. presidents are when he quotes them.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
So I'm listening to the "In Our Time" episode on Ashoka the Great, and it's a pretty good discussion, but I'm kind of twitching at one of the female profs on it. I think it's Jennifer Frazier? She seems to imply a number of times that Jainism is an atheistic religion, which it manifestly isn't. It reminds me of when people claim that Buddhism is an atheistic religion, which it also isn't - one can be a Buddhist and an atheist at once without there being much of a disconnect, but the vast majority of Buddhists definitely believe in some gods or a greater Divinity.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Hahah, Skeptoid is legit one of my favorite podcasts now somehow. It bums me out because the current host guy I don't even bother listening to (it helps that I have hundreds of Dunning eps to catch up on), it really isn't the same show without smugvoice. I still skip the episodes where he does lovely little jingles or gets too cute (him whining about Kanye West or Justin Bieber or w/e at the end of an episode to get funding is always hilarious and lame even without considering the whole prison thing), and sometimes he has some ideological positions or vibes I find questionable (like Carlin but nowhere near as often, no one's perfect), but man there's a lot of great content. Listener Feedback, all of the little oddities and things being discussed, fun conspiracy debunking, I kinda love it.
As cynical as it may be, I kind of hope he's going to just jump back and get on with the show once he's out of prison, I really couldn't give a gently caress about his whole scandal or ripping off eBay or w/e since it's not like you're gonna catch me donating to a podcast anyway. Although it will forever ruin/void Listener feedback, I think, since all the conspiracy nuts could just be like "Oh yeah, well you're a loving crook". It does kind of hurt his credibility as a host. Though obviously with Listener feedback he just selectively went over responses so I'm sure he could just uhhh, ignore the ones pointing out his fall from grace.
Normally I hated podcasts with eps this short, since I stick to podcasts where I can just play something that'll be an hour or longer and leave it on...but Skeptoid has proven to be the exception, I really do like the format and episode lengths. Despite seeming too short on paper they never seem too short on listening and they transition so smoothly that I can just leave it on as it goes episode by episode.

The thing that makes him poo poo is that he stole millions that he still has and has the audacity to beg like there are huge costs associated with making his podcast "full-time." Yeah, I can google for 20 minutes and write e-mail too, and I can do it for free and still keep a job.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Jack Gladney posted:

The thing that makes him poo poo is that he stole millions that he still has and has the audacity to beg like there are huge costs associated with making his podcast "full-time." Yeah, I can google for 20 minutes and write e-mail too, and I can do it for free and still keep a job.

It does seem especially incongruous for a sceptics podcast - where credibility and truth are supposed to be valued traits.

Smugness is another thing that drives me away from sceptical podcasts. I always wonder if what would happen if I ended up on the opposite side of an argument to those guys, and if they'd be just as condescending and snarky.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
his episode on raelians just made me wanna join them

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

TheFallenEvincar posted:

his episode on raelians just made me wanna join them

If you liked the Skeptoid Raelian episode you REALLY need to listen to Oh No Ross and Carrie's TWO episodes on Raelians. After they put out their first one, the Raelian's contacted them and gave them a cease and desist letter. I won't give too many spoilers, but the Lion King theme appears prominently, they comment on the logo, the wrist band thing is true, in the end they become baptized and become Raelian themselves.

Seriously you need to listen to it. I laughed out loud :)

http://ohnopodcast.com/investigations/2012/5/1/ross-and-carrie-go-raelian-joining-a-world-famous-alien-move.html

http://ohnopodcast.com/investigations/2012/6/2/ross-and-carrie-go-raelian-part-2-keepin-it-rael.html

Here's the trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbpIxhAewIU

Zeta Taskforce fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 14, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm interested in reading transcripts of the Revolutions podcasts, are they available somewhere?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Am I supposed to be impressed by Smugvoice McSkeptoid informing me that...pssst, check this poo poo out bro...HARRIET TUBMAN IS REAL. :respek:

"NEXT ON SKEPTOID, IS SHE REAL OR IS SHE FICTIONAL: DEBUNKING THE HILLARY CLINTON MYTH" :c00lbutt:

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Every time I listen to an older Skeptoid and get to the part where he does that little "let's make this a two way street" sphiel all I can think of is how much money he was stealing possibly at that period of time. It's really hard to take any of the good poo poo he says seriously with that line of crap tacked to the end of it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He is a turd and I hope he gets his skull cracked on a steel prison toilet by the aryan brotherhood for trying to get them involved in a cigarette pyramid scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
yeah but I also hope he comes back because the show ain't the same without him and I'm running out of old eps
Plus I'm starting to think it'll be even more fun because he was already kind of annoyingly smug to begin with so now it'll take on this weird quality since he's been outed. it makes starting the show now really funny, hearing him go like: "You'd give Justin Bieber a dollar, why not donate to SKEPTOID :smugdog: "