Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/grayson-8-dc-comics-2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The gently caress.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Starfleet Academy got weird.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was more wondering why Dick's coaching a girl's high-school soccer team. He's a spy, right? Is this an EEEVIL terrorist high school? ...I just remembered someone mentioned this in the Batman thread... It's the same school Bruce and Steph broke up in Batman Inc, isn't it?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Gaz-L posted:

I was more wondering why Dick's coaching a girl's high-school soccer team. He's a spy, right? Is this an EEEVIL terrorist high school? ...I just remembered someone mentioned this in the Batman thread... It's the same school Bruce and Steph broke up in Batman Inc, isn't it?
His undercover identity at the academy Spyral fronts as is a gymnastics teacher who is gay as of issue 4.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Tell me that wasn't an idea to get the girls to stop hitting on him? I don't know what would annoy me more about that. How dumb it makes Dick seem, or how cliche it is that it's backfiring.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Gaz-L posted:

Tell me that wasn't an idea to get the girls to stop hitting on him? I don't know what would annoy me more about that. How dumb it makes Dick seem, or how cliche it is that it's backfiring.
It's actually more of Minos being an rear end in a top hat.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"Here's your torturous punishment: YOU HAVE TO PRETEND TO BE GAY" *scare chord*

Stop loving this up, DC.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This is terrible.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Codependent Poster posted:

This is terrible.

Yeah she looks like Jay leno in a blue wig.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

"Here's your torturous punishment: YOU HAVE TO PRETEND TO BE GAY" *scare chord*

Stop loving this up, DC.

To be fair, the rest of the dialogue implies it's the other kind of questionable. The 'straight women fetishise gay men' type. Basically, it'd be like sentencing Batgirl to have sexy pillow-fights with her female roommates.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, the rest of the dialogue implies it's the other kind of questionable. The 'straight women fetishise gay men' type. Basically, it'd be like sentencing Batgirl to have sexy pillow-fights with her female roommates.

Yeah, that too, but I'm also remembering the horrible way Midnighter was written in this same book a few issues ago.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Grayson is good actually.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, that too, but I'm also remembering the horrible way Midnighter was written in this same book a few issues ago.
Midnighter has been better written in Grayson than all of New 52. That's not saying much I know, but his popularity in Grayson is essentially the reason Midnighter is getting a solo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

lotus circle posted:

Midnighter has been better written in Grayson than all of New 52. That's not saying much I know, but his popularity in Grayson is essentially the reason Midnighter is getting a solo.

If he acts anything like he did in Grayson then I'll wish Wildstorm wasn't even included in the DCU. I kind of do already, since basically nothing good has come out of it yet, except possibly Midnighter's solo.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
"I'd know that rear end anywhere" is the single best panel of the year thus far and it physically hurts me that anyone could feel otherwise.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah if that is what Grayson is, it looks like its just awful.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, I can't believe I'm the one known for having terrible opinions. His whole treatment in the book was incredibly homophobic. As it was in what I've seen of Stormwatch, and that book was also loving awful.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Those two pages are perhaps not good out of context.

Semper Fudge posted:

Grayson is good actually.

But this is actually a correct opinion.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Grayson has been hit or miss with me.

When is focused on Dick and his struggles as character it has been incredibly good (the issue on the desert was fantastic) but there are some issues where the plot takes a back seat and we only got scenes where they gush about how cool Grayson is.

Oh, and the rear end comment by Midnighter was too into the nose for my liking.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TwoPair posted:

I can't see a context where they would be good really.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DC has become aware of the Dick Grayson butt meme and is laying it on a bit thick.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

drat tomorrow is the end of Swamp Thing. :(

I can't wait to see how this whole Machine arc plays out, it's been great so far with every plot element Soule has introduced coming together really nicely and the last couple of issues have really gone all out with the stuff that's happened.

I'm going to miss Swamp Thing but with how grand the climax is building up to I'm also ready for a satisfying ending.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

The context is what you see. Those girls went on a Grayson panty raid in issue #4.

It's a great book :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 4, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I know, I'm just saying they're obviously not doing a good job "selling" people on the series here.

VVV: :golfclap:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 4, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Never change.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 4, 2015

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Grayson is great because it's basically a new Nick Fury: Agent of Shield.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's loving garbage. It's mad poo poo and I hate it.

There isn't a single line drawn in that comic anywhere as good as anything in Nick Fury: Agent of Shield.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah it's a spy book that's very much trying to pander to a certain audience and seemingly alienating a lot of long time Grayson fans but Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD it is not. Maybe like Agents of SHIELD.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Y'all should check out the Annual, Futures End issue or #5 if you're assuming it's this one thing. I think they're pretty special comics.
The dumb bawdy stuff is just fun to post.

e: Not trying to play it down. It's a definite part, but there's a lot more to the series.
ee: And not to discount any feelings fans have against the change from Nightwing. I haven't really read any of his solo series before this one (eee: 'cept if BnR counts.)

eeee: Convergence tie-in trade dress REVEALED!!!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 4, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah it's a spy book that's very much trying to pander to a certain audience and seemingly alienating a lot of long time Grayson fans but Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD it is not. Maybe like Agents of SHIELD.

Except no one is fetishizing Coulson in the SHIELD comic.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Endless Mike posted:

Coulson's always been a fetishized character, he's a balding middle aged white dude with the power to be super amazing at everything and friends with all your heroes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

But it isn't sexual........yet

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Man, that Gym/Jim joke absolutely does not work on the printed page, as written there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redbackground posted:

Man, that Gym/Jim joke absolutely does not work on the printed page, as written there.

It's also kind of absurdly forced. "See, I named his buttcheeks, but in such a way that it can be mistaken for the class we're in!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's also kind of absurdly forced. "See, I named his buttcheeks, but in such a way that it can be mistaken for the class we're in!"

On the other hand, teenagers are kinda tryhards. She'd probably been working on it since second period.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

There's a Cuddler Rapist origin comic?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Welp, Grayson was again "see how loving awesome Dick Grayson is" and the Minos' plot line had kind of a lovely conclusion.

Oh well, wasn't that bad.

Green Lantern on the other hand... :cripes:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 4, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Haven't read Grayson and it does seem pretty bad but I feel like most superhero comics could be boiled down to "Look how awesome (the guy whose name is on the cover) is".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

Haven't read Grayson and it does seem pretty bad but I feel like most superhero comics could be boiled down to "Look how awesome (the guy whose name is on the cover) is".

Not Green Lantern :smith:

But stll, you're right and don't misunderstand me. It was pretty good (I'm really liking Agent 1) but ultimately I was somewhat dissapointed at how they closed the first "season" of the book.

They set Minos like being this great mastermind and what not, just to be taken down like a chump.

EDIT:

Swamp Thing, HOLY poo poo

HOLY poo poo

NOW THAT'S HOW YOU END A STORY

Man, why DC didn't snatch Soule when they had the chance? :smith:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 4, 2015

• Locked thread