Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Rhyno's Gore and Kaitlyn's spear are the only ones worthy of being finishers. Maybe Goldberg on a good day. Roman, Edge and Christian can use them as set-ups, as finishers they look dogshit. I don't know why Roman doesn't switch the Superman punch and spear around since at least the punch is unique to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Spears and Super Kicks are the basically best things in wrestling in theory but only like two dudes ever can do them well.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

pressedbunny posted:

Rhyno's Gore and Kaitlyn's spear are the only ones worthy of being finishers. Maybe Goldberg on a good day. Roman, Edge and Christian can use them as set-ups, as finishers they look dogshit. I don't know why Roman doesn't switch the Superman punch and spear around since at least the punch is unique to him.

I really really really don't want to see the Superman punch as a finisher.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How many F5's will Roman Reigns kick out of at WrestleMania? 2? 3?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

oldpainless posted:

In my group the current over/under baseline is 3.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Comedy option says he either concusses Lesnar in the first 5 minutes or the first spear he hits him with triggers his diverticulitis and suddenly we're faced with Roman Reigns trying to carry the main event through the next 20 minutes with what is supposed to be the most physically dominant WWE champion in history completely gassed and out of it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

pressedbunny posted:

Edge's spear was great because he made himself look like an absolute psychopathic murderer every time he was setting one up. The move itself mattered less than the tension he built up to it with using crazy eyes and claw hands and hair flips. Also sometimes he did them off ladders and poo poo.

Christian's were lame though. Bastista's were also mediocre. Goldberg's were entirely dependent on how much of his weight he was willing to throw into it on a given night.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

pressedbunny posted:

Goldberg's spear was beautiful you heathen

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Goldberg was one of the dudes who could do a spear great. Edge's spear itself wasn't great but him being, ya know, Edge, made it wonderful with the faces he pulled and all. Rhino's Gore also ruled because it was just a big man slamming into people and you don't need kayfabe or anything to say 'yea that fuckin sucks to be on the other end of'.

Basically for a spear to work you either need to be a complete madman who sells 'I'm gonna KNOCK YOU DOWN HAHAHAHAHA' as a legitimate move or you have to be a big tough motherfucker who anyone watching could go 'yea I bet it would suck a lot if that dude tackled me and brought me down'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Rhino's is terrifying because he's aiming about 10 feet behind the other dude, and the other guy just happens to be in the way.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea Goldberg was one of the dudes who could do a spear great. Edge's spear itself wasn't great but him being, ya know, Edge, made it wonderful with the faces he pulled and all. Rhino's Gore also ruled because it was just a big man slamming into people and you don't need kayfabe or anything to say 'yea that fuckin sucks to be on the other end of'.

Basically for a spear to work you either need to be a complete madman who sells 'I'm gonna KNOCK YOU DOWN HAHAHAHAHA' as a legitimate move or you have to be a big tough motherfucker who anyone watching could go 'yea I bet it would suck a lot if that dude tackled me and brought me down'.

What if you were really powerful, like Roman Reigns?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hace posted:

Then it will look good to anybody who isn't being a contrary turd.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hace posted:

Reigns actually does a good job of making his spear look powerful, he's not THE MIGHTY GOLDBERG no poo poo but yea he falls into the 'it looks like that'd suck to get hit by' category.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

It's pretty clear that the best spears were carried out by dudes who used to play football

Also Rhyno whom I'm pretty sure is at least part rhinoceros

Edge's wasn't a tackle by any means but it definitely lived up to the "spear" name because he flung himself with everything he had at his opponent

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

:laffo: oh ok people are saying roman's spear is bad now? he sucks but you don't have to make poo poo up people

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm fed up with the spear. It's become shorthand for "Guy who we don't trust to do anything impressive but still want to have a cool finish".

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

The spear is good and Roman's spear is particularly good and all flash finishes are good and I'll even extend this to Big Show's Carcinogenic Right Hand

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm fed up with the spear. It's become shorthand for "Guy who we don't trust to do anything impressive but still want to have a cool finish".

So what you're saying is you still think it's a good finisher but hate the people who get to use it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Finishers: they're cool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Guys, I think wrestling matches are sometimes made to make guys look better at fighting than they actually are.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Mike Bennett has the best spear in wrestling because he yells "ON THIS DAY" before hitting the move

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Hace posted:

THE POWER OF ROMAN REIGNS

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Dr. rear end posted:

So what you're saying is you still think it's a good finisher but hate the people who get to use it

It's been used by like everyone who's also kind of poo poo in the past ten years.

Goldberg, Batista, Big Show, Bobby Lashley, Kaitlyn and I'm sure there are others.

I'm fed up with the spear as a finish. It's been too many guy's finishes. It's lost all intrigue. It's the DDT after everyone figured out they could do a DDT.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Roman's spear bothers me precisely because he doesn't throw himself into it all that often. His average spear is akin to Goldeberg's laziest and his best is on par with Goldberg's average. You've got Rhyno down in NXT doing the same thing a hundred times better. (Admittedly, partly just because Rhyno's got the weirdest, stockiest build of anybody I've ever seen.)

Roman's spear can and should look good, but in practice there's only been about two instances where it's actually lived up to his big-dude-ramming-through-you potential. On the other hand, as flimsy as it is in wrestling logic, I can much easier buy into the Superman punch because he always really leaps into it.

ed: holy poo poo I forgot Big Show did one too, now I'm having flashsluggish backs.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

As was said, it only really works when whoever is doing the Spear gives no fucks about the other guy taking it. So Goldberg and Rhyno basically. And Kaitlyn as an outlier, Kaitlyn's spear was inexplicably really cool.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's been used by like everyone who's also kind of poo poo in the past ten years.

Goldberg, Batista, Big Show, Bobby Lashley, Kaitlyn and I'm sure there are others.

I'm fed up with the spear as a finish. It's been too many guy's finishes. It's lost all intrigue. It's the DDT after everyone figured out they could do a DDT.

I see three former world champions and future Hall of Famers (all of whom could definitely go at their peaks), a current world champion, and someone who was good but underutilized

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

DeepDickPizza posted:

We've made it like ten posts and nobody made a The Rise and Fall of Owen Hart joke yet? For shame.

Well duh, it was the Blue Blazer you jackass :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

oatgan posted:

Mike Bennett has the best spear in wrestling because he yells "ON THIS DAY" before hitting the move

If he was that good, Metallingus would play as he runs at the guy.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
One of only two times I can remember it looking good and even then it's not really got the snap that I'd like. (Granted, it's Big Show so everything's going to be slower and wonky.)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Dr. rear end posted:

I see three former world champions and future Hall of Famers (all of whom could definitely go at their peaks), a current world champion, and someone who was good but underutilized

You're not getting what I'm saying. The spear has been used too much as a finish in the past ten years for it to be one man's finish. I'd be fine with him using the Superman punch as a finish over the spear. The Spear has been done to death. It'd be like someone turning up with the Stunner other than Steve Austin as their finish and claiming that it's somehow theirs.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Finishers: they're cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_tYh9zsIO0

TEGGS
Nov 21, 2004

Spoony Bard!
Roman Reigns needs to prove he has power in his entire body, not just his arms. So his finisher should be the Rough Ryder.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Fitting: if you don't watch NXT, check it out this week, because Charlotte just did a better spear than anyone on the main roster.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

pressedbunny posted:

Fitting: if you don't watch NXT, check it out this week, because Charlotte just did a better spear than anyone on the main roster.

it was a bad spear and looked good only due to Sasha's great sell

Roman Reigns' spear is and always has been very good

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

DeathChicken posted:

As was said, it only really works when whoever is doing the Spear gives no fucks about the other guy taking it. So Goldberg and Rhyno basically. And Kaitlyn as an outlier, Kaitlyn's spear was inexplicably really cool.

Actually Kaitlyn's is easy to explain 1) Kaitlyn owns 2) she was hitting AJ with it a lot thus it looked like Murder Death Forever

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Roman Lames more like.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Not sure what that was but somebody's probably masturbated to it.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I, Roman, will knock you all down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

power bombs are the greatest. spears are lame. okay, bye.

• Locked thread