Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

I assume he meant pre-LeBron. Having the best player in basketball decide he wants to come play for your crappy team because he's from there and feels guilty is probably not a plan you can hope to recreate.

Maybe, but "maximize assets and get good returns for anyone who isn't a superstar" is basically the Sixer's plan and I don't think that's a bad idea add long as you can stomach the ticket sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Stupid question I'm probably getting basic facts wrong about :

If the cap is expected to skyrocket in 2016-2017 due to the new TV deals, wouldn't it make sense for someone who's mid-late first round to stay in school this year, try to move up to lottery next year and lock in the bigger rookie deal than come out now? Even if they don't make lottery and are still a first rounder, the deals should be bigger next year, right?

In short, in terms of draft classes, 2015 - weak 2016 - strong 2017 - weak due to the impending lockout/strike?

2015 has a solid draft class, 2016 looks weak, god knows about 2017.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
This next lockout is going to be amazing and I am quite excited about it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I'm holding out hope that the TV deal will mean a lost season would be too much revenue to throw away and the owners will be sensible but who am I kidding?

The bright side is the condensed 66 game schedule was actually a superior regular schedule, I thought. Get rid of some of the super ugly back-to-back-to-backs and I think its pretty close to my ideal. Depth became a lot more important and the games mattered a lot more.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

i too am a sports fan who hates watching sports

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

2015 has a solid draft class, 2016 looks weak, god knows about 2017.

2016 will get stronger when Thon Maker re-classifies. Also that Australian 7-footer Isaac Humphries will boost the class.

edit: I'm confused. Thon Maker will re-classify out of the 2016 class into 2015. Isaac Humphries is the following year.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 27, 2015

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Yeah, at this point in my life I'm a bit to dependent on the NBA to root for the chaos caused by a lost season, but i wouldn't be shocked if it happened. I mean the players held out till December last time, and that was with the NBAPA in shambles

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

kiimo posted:

2016 will get stronger when Thon Maker re-classifies. Also that Australian 7-footer Isaac Humphries will boost the class.

edit: I'm confused. Thon Maker will re-classify out of the 2016 class into 2015. Isaac Humphries is the following year.

The Aussie and Canadian basketball contingents are going to be so good in 5 years from now.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

kiimo posted:

No I think you got it, 'class' was his high school, he'll be HS class of 2015 and he should be in the 2016 NBA draft along with a name favorite of mine for several years now, Diamond Stone

Y'all are right about upcoming Australians and Canadians. Here's some Ben Simmons game footage instead of an all-dunking mixtape:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNsLZ4bT4vo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Right now Patty Mills is still like the third best austrailian ever so I'm pretty sure they will continue to be garbage.

Also I will be goddamned if the United States of A-loving-Merica is ever losing in basketball to a Canadian team that will probably start Anthony Bennett and Kelly Olynyk's Stupid Girl Hair. Oh no, not the fearsome Tyler Ennis to Andrew Nicholson pick and roll, anything but that! gently caress off, Canada. Go do some curling or whatever dumb ice sport you play. Leave the dunking to us.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 27, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

Right now Patty Mills is still like the third best austrailian ever so I'm pretty sure they will continue to be garbage.
Too bad I can't drop these burns when Dante Exum trash talks me in his weird accent in NBA 2k15

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Haha

1) andrew bogut
2) luc longley
3) patty mills

nice squad you stupid fuckin country

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.
Hey, Kyrie is sorta kinda austrailian.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Halfling Wizard Bear posted:

Hey, Kyrie is sorta kinda austrailian.

If he was not good enough to be on American squads he would certainly be playing for the Australian team.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

EvanTH posted:

Haha

1) andrew bogut
2) luc longley
3) patty mills

When all is said and done it will be Matthew Dellavedova at the top.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

The Guangdong Tigers are down in their playoff series and have decided to play Mudiay in tonight's game.

edit:

edit: and he leads them to a win with 24 points, 8 rbs, 4 assists, and 4 steals.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 1, 2015

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
@DraftExpress: Says something about Emmanuel Mudiay's professionalism that he didn't sulk and just steal money for the past 2 1/2 months. Stayed ready.

The way this is phrased makes it seem like it required intense effort on his part to not rob banks or something

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Can/Will he play anywhere else after the CBA season finishes?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I don't see why he would, at this point I don't think there's really anything he can do to increase his stock.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

chunkles posted:

I don't see why he would, at this point I don't think there's really anything he can do to increase his stock.

Yeah, I guess he would be trying to push up from the 3/4 spot to the 2/3 spot; marginal gains in my opinion.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Yeah, I guess he would be trying to push up from the 3/4 spot to the 2/3 spot; marginal gains in my opinion.

Mudiay won't move up anymore than he has. It's just whether or not the other dudes fall. He's kind of in a position similar to Exum last year.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What do you guys think the best possible version of Karl Towns will be? And what do you think the best possible Myles Turner would be?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like Turner probably believes his best version of himself is Lamarcus Aldridge.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't really see the Aldridge thing with Turner, other than being a tall skinny guy who plays for UT. His post and mid-range games are as good but he has more range on his jumper (although he's slumping hard from 3 right now so maybe not) and is a better rim protector. Best case he's probably like Ibaka or Bosh or something, I guess? He's super raw though so the odds of him hitting either aren't great.

Towns best case I think is like a taller Al Horford. A dude who does a little bit of everything. Range out to the elbows, good passer for a post, great pick and roll finisher, great rebounder, mobile defender who can range all over the floor and also block shots.

Again though this is like absolute best case for both though. The odds that either hit it are pretty low. They're both super raw right now, especially on offense.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I hope Hollis-Jefferson is around for the Lakers via Houston's pick because I want to watch that shimmy three times a week .

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I hope he is around for the Lakers pick because he's going to be really bad in the NBA.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Who is the best guy who could play the SF in the NBA in this draft? This draft seems really light on real wing players.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Lockback posted:

Who is the best guy who could play the SF in the NBA in this draft? This draft seems really light on real wing players.

Stanley Johnson for D and Mario Hezonja for O. Both really nice prospects.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

I hope he is around for the Lakers pick because he's going to be really bad in the NBA.

N..n...no.....yeah.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Depending on who you talk to either Stanley Johnson, Kelly Oubre, Justice Winslow, or Mario Hezonja. I know nothing about Hezonja but among the college guys I'd rank them in the order I just listed them. Draft express has it 1)Johnson, 2)Hezonja, 3)Winslow, and 4)Oubre.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Stanley Johnson for D and Mario Hezonja for O. Both really nice prospects.

I think Winslow will be a better defensive player than Johnson just because he's a better athlete, but he's a lot worse offensively. He's shooting surprisingly well from three this year but he's a below average free throw shooter and absolutely godawful from mid-range, and he can't do anything with the ball in his hands (though to be fair Johnson is a pretty crappy ball handler too).

The highest ceiling is probably Oubre, but he's been really up and down and needs to add a lot of strength. Winslow and Johnson will come in pretty much NBA ready from a physical standpoint.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 4, 2015

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
2016 is supposed to have some top pick wings, and also maybe GARY PAYTON II as a second rounder. He is Gary Payton II instead of Gary Payton Jr. because Gary Payton Jr is a different and earlier one of Gary Payton Sr.'s sons. It must be awful to be so disappointed in your son Gary Jr that you try again with Gary 2

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

Depending on who you talk to either Stanley Johnson, Kelly Oubre, Justice Winslow, and Mario Hezonja. I know nothing about Hezonja but among the college guys I'd rank them in the order I just listed them. Draft express has it 1)Johnson, 2)Hezonja, 3)Winslow, and 4)Oubre.

I think Winslow will be a better defensive player than Johnson just because he's a better athlete, but he's a lot worse offensively. He's shooting surprisingly well from three this year but he's a below average free throw shooter and absolutely godawful from mid-range, and he can't do anything with the ball in his hands (though to be fair Johnson is a pretty crappy ball handler too).

The highest ceiling is probably Oubre, but he's been really up and down and needs to add a lot of strength. Winslow and Johnson will come in pretty much NBA ready from a physical standpoint.

Thanks; I haven't gotten to see much of Winslow yet.

Hezonja is a lot more athletic than I expected. He can really get up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUcrZ4y_Ccg

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 3, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah it's looking like this will be a pretty good draft. Not as top heavy as last year obviously though.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Gary Payton II is really good, he's got a lot of Rondo to his game without being a team-fracturing headcase.

That said, Rondo is and may forever be a better shooter than GP2.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

That said, Rondo is and may forever be a better shooter than GP2.

As long as he doesn't enter Rubio arena of bad shooting

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Did Rubio's shooting actually get worse this year?

e: I guess its a pretty small sample

Politicalrancor fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 4, 2015

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Thanks; I haven't gotten to see much of Winslow yet.

Hezonja is a lot more athletic than I expected. He can really get up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUcrZ4y_Ccg

I really like Hezonja and DX tends to underrate athleticism (but I tend to overrate it). His biggest problems are tunnel-vision and inconsistent defense.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

EvanTH posted:

Haha

1) andrew bogut
2) luc longley
3) patty mills

Excuse me you forgot Andrew Gaze, and Charles Barkley still has nightmares about Shane Heal http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/oct/31/the-forgotten-story-of-shane-heal-v-the-dream-team

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I said this last year and still feel this way, that while he almost surely isn't going to be a star in the NBA, Kaleb Tarczewski might end up being the Arizona player that has the longest career. And maybe with the right coach who knows, because he's gotten quite a bit better on the offensive side of the glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

So Cliff Alexander will definitely be in this year's draft?

• Locked thread