Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Bit of a shot into the blue, anyone know how to make a button to toggle JS in the site preferences of the currently active tab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Mithaldu posted:

Bit of a shot into the blue, anyone know how to make a button to toggle JS in the site preferences of the currently active tab?

I was messing around with this, apparently you can add the js toggle to a toolbar but it's global rather than per-tab.

e: also vivaldi put out a 32-bit linux build. gestures. :3: not a fan of the bright red toolbar but that will probably be fixable eventually.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 22, 2015

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

spoon0042 posted:

I was messing around with this, apparently you can add the js toggle to a toolbar but it's global rather than per-tab.

e: also vivaldi put out a 32-bit linux build. gestures. :3: not a fan of the bright red toolbar but that will probably be fixable eventually.

Yeah, i'm not looking for the F12 thing. It's a little annoying that those aren't labeled as clearly as they could be either.

Also, vivaldi could be neat if they didn't build it as a retarded memory gobbling behemoth. (2 GB ram used with 40 tabs of redwolf.de open, and a linear correlation between tabs and memory use.)

Edit: Jesus gently caress, not even their website loads without Javascript.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Welcome to

a) Chrome memory hogging base

and

b) WEB 2.0!!11111

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Riso posted:

Welcome to

a) Chrome memory hogging base

and

b) WEB 2.0!!11111

I think it was Flipboard that basically wrote their own drawing/layout code in JS and a single canvas element, since they weren't happy with the graphics performance of the HTML/DOM approach.

Which is equal parts neat and horrifying.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Mithaldu posted:

Yeah, i'm not looking for the F12 thing. It's a little annoying that those aren't labeled as clearly as they could be either.

Also, vivaldi could be neat if they didn't build it as a retarded memory gobbling behemoth. (2 GB ram used with 40 tabs of redwolf.de open, and a linear correlation between tabs and memory use.)

Edit: Jesus gently caress, not even their website loads without Javascript.

I do not give a gently caress; if it puts the tabs on the bottom, and Vivaldi's tab status? You can loving put them on the bottom

Sold, gently caress Opera 20+

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 4, 2015

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

The Mad Archivist posted:

I do not give a gently caress if it puts the tabs on the bottom, and Vivaldi's tab status? You can loving put them on the bottom

Sold, gently caress Opera 20+

Yeah, well, if you're already using Opera 15+, then literally anything would be better. Although i gotta question why you're not using Opera 12 as the main browser and *anything* else for the few sites (mainly overladen JS/Flash bullshit) that are better kept out of Opera's cache.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Mithaldu posted:

Yeah, well, if you're already using Opera 15+, then literally anything would be better. Although i gotta question why you're not using Opera 12 as the main browser and *anything* else for the few sites (mainly overladen JS/Flash bullshit) that are better kept out of Opera's cache.

Opera 12 still up and working, while I've been grudgingly using 20+ as its crutch browser, but the number of sites that give it trouble is increasing daily. Vivaldi is the spiritual successor of Opera 12 and unless they make a colossal misstep I see it easily replacing both on all my machines.

Once they get sync working, and get extensions officially working though, it's on.

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 4, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope Vivaldi turns out to be a great browser with all/most of the same features of Opera 12.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Which is the better hope, Otter or Vivaldi?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Which is the better hope, Otter or Vivaldi?

Otter is an open source spare time project, and Vivaldi is solely funded by von Tezchner as a pet project - it could honestly go either way, but right now I'd say Vivaldi looks more promising?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
The latest Vivaldi update which dropped last night has added extensions. Granted, at this stage of the game they still aren't visible in the UI, per say - like, if it adds a button, that doesn't show up yet. However, passive extensions - like AdBlock or Ghostery - do work and can be configured.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Posting from the x64 Vivaldi test build - liking it so far but previous posts about the memory usage are a little worrying. Given Firefox currently uses memory like I use toilet paper it'll be interesting to see which is worse.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Opera sync finally works again :marc:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Boogalo posted:

Opera sync finally works again :marc:

Meaning in Chropera?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Wheany posted:

Meaning in Chropera?

yeah, funny how that suddenly reappears after Vivaldi comes onto the scene

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The Mad Archivist posted:

yeah, funny how that suddenly reappears after Vivaldi comes onto the scene

To be fair they have actually been (halfheartedly) working on sync for a while.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Computer viking posted:

To be fair they have actually been (halfheartedly) working on sync for a while.

You mean almost 2 years?

Opera 15 was released in July 2013. It has taken them this long to get sync working.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Wheany posted:

You mean almost 2 years?

Opera 15 was released in July 2013. It has taken them this long to get sync working.

IIRC they got it to the point where the pieces were vaguely in place but didn't work well, then abandoned it for a bit, then it was restarted with a different (and apparently more efficient) team fairly recently. It's been "testable but not quite releasable" since before vivaldi, though.

Of course, if they've published anything about it recently that could well be a vivaldi thing.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
as far as I can tell it doesn't use the legacy data either so you have to re-enter everything anyway

gently caress it, might as well just get LastPass

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
e: lol wrong thread

Majorian fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 22, 2015

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I've been using Vivaldi for like a week now. It's not finished obviously and some poo poo plainly doesn't work, but I like it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I just wish it wasn't some hosed up browser-on-browser node.js web 3.5 nonsense. :mad:

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

atomicthumbs posted:

I just wish it wasn't some hosed up browser-on-browser node.js web 3.5 nonsense. :mad:

If it works, it works. If it doesn't, then I'll start worrying about their choice of language/framework.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm frankly still liking it more than Firefox, mainly because using YouTube is like pulling teeth in Firefox. At least in Vivaldi it dies gracefully... so far.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Cuntpunch posted:

If it works, it works. If it doesn't, then I'll start worrying about their choice of language/framework.

this

it's everything as a technical preview that Opera 15 should have been hour one, day one of release

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tesseraction posted:

I'm frankly still liking it more than Firefox, mainly because using YouTube is like pulling teeth in Firefox.

How so?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Right, gently caress everything. This is probably secret but at this point who cares: The Oslo office of Opera just announced that they are closing and firing everyone. A handful will remain a bit to transition the rest of the development to Poland, the datacenter in Iceland remains, and at a guess the Linux team in Nice (both of them) will also remain. The only people in Oslo who got an offer to move to Poland were apparently the HR and finance departments.

Most of the programmers have already been down there for a while, but I don't have high hopes for their design or QA skills. Good thing Vivaldi popped up, I guess.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Thats a terrible shame. :( Not extremely shocking but still sad to see it coming to this. Best wishes to everyone affected and hopes that they'll land on their feet!

I hope noone was actually holding their breath for Opera12 v2015 but at least now we know.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The company is still profitable, and still makes a browser, FWIW. Still a shame.

I left work early and I'm heading over to meet up with the BF, I guess it's straight to the job listings for him later today. (3 month severance.)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Right, gently caress everything. This is probably secret but at this point who cares: The Oslo office of Opera just announced that they are closing and firing everyone. A handful will remain a bit to transition the rest of the development to Poland, the datacenter in Iceland remains, and at a guess the Linux team in Nice (both of them) will also remain. The only people in Oslo who got an offer to move to Poland were apparently the HR and finance departments.

Most of the programmers have already been down there for a while, but I don't have high hopes for their design or QA skills. Good thing Vivaldi popped up, I guess.

Wow, that's some crass news. I doubt many offers to move to Poland were taken, right?

Also, i wish i'd even feel a little sad about this, but with the way Opera has treated people, i can't dredge up a lot of care.

I do hope your boyfriend has options open. Edit: Ouch.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

No idea, I've only barely talked to him. And yeah, the management the last years has been a bit ... eh.
He's apparently heading for an interview now; no idea with whom (but I'm impressed with their reaction speed).

edit:
Just to round off my opera insider information: My contact inside was my BF, who wrote this farewell post today.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 24, 2015

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Computer viking posted:

No idea, I've only barely talked to him. And yeah, the management the last years has been a bit ... eh.
He's apparently heading for an interview now; no idea with whom (but I'm impressed with their reaction speed).

edit:
Just to round off my opera insider information: My contact inside was my BF, who wrote this farewell post today.

Came here to post that link, and found your edit. Haven't read it yet, but after one of the Opera managers denied it to me (don't know whether out of ignorance or duplicity) i'm glad to see this being publically acknowledged.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I find myself very surprised at this quote:

"Rebuilding a new browser on‐top of the Chromium open‐source project and WebKit (later Blink). I agreed with this move and still think it was the right decision for Opera."

I can see that being the right idea and thing to try, but i can't imagine anyone being earnestly happy about the end result of that move.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I agree with using the rendering engine. It's mostly the UI that makes Opera.

The one rendering engine thing that Opera does better that I can think of is not choking on pages with lots of gifs, because it doesn't animate the ones outside the viewport.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Opera 12 is still the only browser i can push past a few gigs of ram for a single tab/in a single page with streamed asset data (like for a local map viewer tool). Every other browser just kinda throws their hands up and stops rendering or straight up crashes after 1-2GB. Opera will happily use 9-10 GB if that's what i'm setting it up for.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Wheany posted:

I agree with using the rendering engine. It's mostly the UI that makes Opera.

The one rendering engine thing that Opera does better that I can think of is not choking on pages with lots of gifs, because it doesn't animate the ones outside the viewport.

On Windows, the rendering engine does a number of things better:

- memory use
- progressive rendering while loading
- smoother zooming
- text selection (in links)
- faster tab switching
- faster history traversal (try going back/forward a bunch after clicking a link)
- generally less latency to input overall

Simply put, if you disable JS, on Windows Opera is still the fastest rendering engine.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Actually yes, now that I think of it. I've had Opera become strangely slow and unresponsive and when I checked its information in process explorer, it was using somewhere around 8 gigs of memory (after being on for almost 2 months).

Firefox becomes slow enough to take several seconds to react to button presses somewhere around 1.8 gigs and then will lock up or crash when it reaches 2, because it's a 32-bit process. And I'm not using nearly as many tabs as I did when I used Opera for everything. Opening several (~20) tabs on media-heavy sites like Flickr, Youtube or Vine will just straight-up murder Firefox, even if you close them afterwards.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's much easier to follow the discussion if you refer to Presto and Blink instead if "opera" and "opera".

Anyway, maintaining a full fourth browser engine that nobody bothered to check their sites against was apparently becoming an absolute chore (ask an opera dev about people only using webkit prefixes in CSS someday). Moving to blink basically solved all that for them, so it's an understandable choice. If they hadn't also decided to take the UI in a more mainstream direction at the same time, I think it could have worked out to be a generally liked change.

Also, he's thinking about writing a " things that were bad at opera"-post, but there is something to be said for not burning too many bridges (yet).

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I use Opera and Chropera.

Actually I didn't bother specifying which I was talking about since I thought it was pretty clear from the context that I was talking about the Presto-based one.