Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

404notfound posted:

The S doesn't have real-time correction--the square will go to the right place after focusing--but that still wouldn't fix the fact that your eye and the camera sensor are looking from two different positions. If the corrected square is on the edge of a subject when looking through the viewfinder, the actual focus point might be missing the subject entirely from a straight-on angle (i.e., the way the camera is actually seeing).

Edit: I am curious how the T's improved OVF experience affects battery life though. Real-time parallax correction and an EVF patch are probably somewhat more intensive than just projecting some framing lines.

The T has two imposed squares to start - close and far corrected, then shows actual corrected after focusing. Not perfect still like you described, but the distance scale usually lets me know if it got it right, and the little popup evf lets you know for sure. So all in all it works out pretty well.

Not sure how the battery life compares tbh - I'm used to DSLR battery life, so to me it can best be described as "complete poo poo" but I don't know how it stacks up against it's predecessor or other similar cameras. I carry several in my pocket instead of knowing that I can go days off one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Steve Huff is gushing over the new Sony FE 35mm f/1.4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9WvkUSTC_E

Ugh...pre-ordered.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Do I gain anything from preordering? Is lens availability typically low at release? Thinking of swapping my 55 f/1.8 for this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Ugh...pre-ordered.
Eh, he's always overly excited. Read this first.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/lenses/sony-zeiss-distagon-t-35mm-f1-4-za-review

By no means a bad lens, but it reads like IQ isn't that super awesome as the Zeiss label would suggest, at least not for the price. I was hoping to ditch my adapted Sigma and get this one, but I'm waiting for the inevitable direct comparison first. The 35mm Distagons for DSLRs fared worse for corner sharpness and fringing than the Sigma. Who knows how this mirrorless version is. It goes for 1700€ after all.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'm a huge Zeiss fanboy, and 1700 euros still seems insanely high for a 35mm prime. That's almost Summilux levels of ridiculousness.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I was hoping to ditch my adapted Sigma and get this one, but I'm waiting for the inevitable direct comparison first.

I've actually been considering this. What's your setup on the Sigma? (i.e. body, adapter, mount version)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

EF Sigma on Viltrox EF-NEX II on A7II.

Autofocus works on the adapter, but it's contrast detection and the camera hunts a while. Don't expect anything under 2 seconds. For being just 100$ instead of an expensive Metabones, the adapter is pretty snug. Only issue I had is that small ramp next to the contacts, that's supposed to push the pins inside the camera mount back, got damaged somehow (I suppose plastic too soft) and would have sheared off the pins, were I a stupid brute with fat fingers. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with a nail file, tho.

The 35mm was my default and favorite lens on the 6D. So it'd be nice to have a fast focusing one, so that I can point in a direction and get a sharp image all in fraction of a second once a while, thus why I was excited for that Zeiss. If further reviews show that it's the bees knees in regards to sharpness after all, I might reconsider and make my wallet weep anyway.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 4, 2015

red19fire
May 26, 2010

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Ugh...pre-ordered.

Just remember Steve Huff is the one for whom Leica can do no wrong. Even faced with really obvious shortcomings, he just reverts to 'yeah, but.... LEICA GLOW'. Just like K*Rock, I would ignore anything approaching an opinion.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helicity posted:

I'm a huge Zeiss fanboy, and 1700 euros still seems insanely high for a 35mm prime. That's almost Summilux levels of ridiculousness.

Its only slightly more expensive than the Nikon version.

But I don't believe a 35mm FF lens can be sharper than a 50-55mm or 85mn flagship lens.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Why's that? Genuinely curious.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Longer focal lengths are easier to design than wide angle.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Physics. ;)

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

EF Sigma on Viltrox EF-NEX II on A7II.

Autofocus works on the adapter, but it's contrast detection and the camera hunts a while. Don't expect anything under 2 seconds. For being just 100$ instead of an expensive Metabones, the adapter is pretty snug. Only issue I had is that small ramp next to the contacts, that's supposed to push the pins inside the camera mount back, got damaged somehow (I suppose plastic too soft) and would have sheared off the pins, were I a stupid brute with fat fingers. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with a nail file, tho.

The 35mm was my default and favorite lens on the 6D. So it'd be nice to have a fast focusing one, so that I can point in a direction and get a sharp image all in fraction of a second once a while, thus why I was excited for that Zeiss. If further reviews show that it's the bees knees in regards to sharpness after all, I might reconsider and make my wallet weep anyway.

I have the A7II and thought about a similar setup. I thought about just going manual focus, since I know using adapters and AF is pretty painful. Do you ever try to use manual focus with the focus peaking? I've never really used focus peaking since this is my first mirrorless, but I'm thinking about giving it a shot.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Focus peaking is the poo poo. Yes you should use it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Refraction angles aren't so extreme.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've been learning how to use my 100-300mm Panasonic telephoto and lemme tell you, focus peaking is the mutt's nuts. I've been shooting in full manual, with autofocus on, with manual assist/adjust. I let the autofocus fail horribly at focusing on the (subject) bird, generally) that I'm looking at, then dial in the focus manually to get the eye right in the focus plane. Peaking really helps with this, especially through foliage and branches. As long as the bird stays still long enough.
It's also very useful for macro photos.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

red19fire posted:

Just remember Steve Huff is the one for whom Leica can do no wrong. Even faced with really obvious shortcomings, he just reverts to 'yeah, but.... LEICA GLOW'. Just like K*Rock, I would ignore anything approaching an opinion.

Maybe the glow is from the spirits he talks to?
http://youtu.be/pRLe7r9cJqs

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

RustedChrome posted:

Maybe the glow is from the spirits he talks to?
http://youtu.be/pRLe7r9cJqs

:holymoley:

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
drat you all to hell (in a good way)

two weeks ago i upgraded my canon lens collection with a 17-40,24-105 and 70-200 F2.8... a dude in my photoclub also gave me a great offer on a A6000 as a walk around camera... except just basic testing of the lenses my 5d have been sitting in its backpack untouched. It´s just so drat effortless to bring a small camera. i even brought the little dude to the hospital so i could take some pictures for my blog whilst getting radiation-treatments (i am a sponsored cancerpatient)... today i am going in to my local camera store to discuss the terms of my full surrender. (they are letting me return the lenses and sell them my 5d and i am picking up some new mirrorless glass)

I am strongly considering sticking to FE lenses because i just know i will be getting an A7 variation at some point.

(and im getting a fuji x100s for the wife, she has a terrible bridge camera and never stops talking about how good the fujis look)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fjelltorsk posted:

(i am a sponsored cancerpatient)...

You need sponsorship for that?

Thanks Obama.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

spankmeister posted:

You need sponsorship for that?

Thanks Obama.

Hehe, not really. I like riding my bike and when i got sick i started a blog to keep my friends up to date. Garmin decided it was cool and keep giving me stuff. And also, i live in norway so i have free healthcare.

The deathpanels are a drag tho

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I have the A7II and thought about a similar setup. I thought about just going manual focus, since I know using adapters and AF is pretty painful. Do you ever try to use manual focus with the focus peaking? I've never really used focus peaking since this is my first mirrorless, but I'm thinking about giving it a shot.
Focus peaking is awesome, depending on how thin the DOF gets, the miss rate rises. On a regular full image view, the focus peaking works on a lower resolution capture, which may make it consider parts sharp that are actually already slightly blurred. You may need to magnify to make sure, if the peaking doesn't give you clues. Say if you're shooting a detailed object at a shallow angle, it'll highlight a spatial region, what's highlighted in the middle of it should be sharp either way. If you're shooting something flat from head on, you probably will need to verify.

I'd just leave it on, since it doesn't influence the picture. Switching from MF to AF on the lens turns it off anyway, altho my adapter sometimes gets confused and reports the opposite to the camera.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

404notfound posted:

Gah, I was at Disneyland all day Sunday for Dapper Day, and I tried mostly using the OVF on my X100S to stretch my battery life since I forgot to bring a spare when I flew down to LA. A couple of my group shots came out with missed focus, because even though I put the focus patch on a person, the parallax effect meant it actually focused in between people on the background. :smith:

Some of my shots also came out rushed and messy because I'm still getting used to actually walking up to people and asking to take pictures of them. It helps that people specifically came to the event all dressed up so I have more of a reason to be asking, but hopefully next time I'll be a little more mindful of my backgrounds and stuff.

When the x100 came out a lot of reviews said the OVF actually used more battery than the EVF does. I don't know if this applies to the S model but it's food for thought.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rontalvos posted:

When the x100 came out a lot of reviews said the OVF actually used more battery than the EVF does.

.....how? :psyduck:

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

DJExile posted:

.....how? :psyduck:

I Googled 'x100 ovf battery life' and got dozens of discussions debating this topic and the general group think is that the camera has to run both the internal evf to project certain parts of the ovf and some kind of second overlay screen to do the frame lines etc which consumes more power. I love the ovf but I do have a hard time trusting it for anything that's not a landscape picture.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

After playing with an XT1 in store the other week I think it's viewing experience is probably better than the hybrid I've got on my XPro1.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Aargh posted:

After playing with an XT1 in store the other week I think it's viewing experience is probably better than the hybrid I've got on my XPro1.

The Xpro's EVF sucks compared to new ones.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah it's not a fair comparison, but try XT-1 still owns.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

8th-snype posted:

The Xpro's EVF sucks compared to new ones.

I didn't mean the EVF I meant the optical hybrid one. The xt1 is really selling itself to me, not sure what an xpro2 could really offer to make me upgrade to that.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Have anyone tried the Sony 18-105? Considering it instead of kit lens and the 55-210. I know its shorter focal length but i really like the fixed Aperture.

And also, retrospective 7 or mirrorless mover?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

fjelltorsk posted:

Have anyone tried the Sony 18-105? Considering it instead of kit lens and the 55-210. I know its shorter focal length but i really like the fixed Aperture.

And also, retrospective 7 or mirrorless mover?

I love the 7, have it set up like a holster with a wrist strap on the camera. The retrospective is pricey, but it's well thought out and very high quality. Looks less like a camera bag too.

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!
I've been looking to get an EM5 for a while now and saw the rumors of the mark II being announced soon so I figured I'd wait until that happened to drive prices down.
Can I expect them to drop down any lower or is now the time to pull the trigger? I see new ones hovering around $500 from stores or it seems like patient people are picking up bodies on ebay in the higher $300s..

OR is anyone looking to get rid of theirs in favor of an upgrade?! :D

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Atomic Hotdog posted:

I've been looking to get an EM5 for a while now and saw the rumors of the mark II being announced soon so I figured I'd wait until that happened to drive prices down.
Can I expect them to drop down any lower or is now the time to pull the trigger? I see new ones hovering around $500 from stores or it seems like patient people are picking up bodies on ebay in the higher $300s..

The bodies were already sitting at around 50% of their launch price when the em5ii came out, so it's not too surprising that there isn't much room to drop left.

That said, if you're serious about wanting to pick up a used one make a post in the buy/sell thread, and you'll probably see an appropriate response tomorrow evening when I have a chance to take pictures of the body (I sure don't need a 2nd body).

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Atomic Hotdog posted:

I'm not sure if I'm mis-reading the tense in your post, but the Mark II was already announced and has been released.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/omd/e-m5-mark-ii.html

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Tested out the x100t at a show a week ago. Mostly putting the spot meter and low-light AF to the test.

Happy to report it did a very respectable job of things.

More here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/justinkent/sets/72157648958950913/

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
What I find really intriguing about the new Sony A7 II is the image stabilization in body and all the different mounts you can use with it. One can pick up some awesome old vintage glass for 1/10th the price of modern pro lenses and still have image stabilization. Of course you lose the AF features, but other than fast speed photography, like sports or whatever, the manual focus thing I can do without since most of my shooting is nature stuff.

There are so many awesome old primes out there for fraction of the price of the new ones. I own some of them with converters to use on my Canon, like the Helios 44-2, old Pentacon Six Zeiss Jena primes (whch I got years ago for the Pentacon six MF camera)... All with unique characteristics. They work well with my Canon, although focusing is sometimes a crap shoot. I have to use live view and sometimes its hit and miss. I would like to have this feature inside the viewfinder. But I would really love to have a full frame camera eventually and Im leaning towards the A7II.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 12, 2015

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I love my a7ii. The evf combined with IBIS and magnification makes using mf glass a dream. The native e mount glass is exceptional and a bit pricey.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
My uncle thought he had IBIS for years but it turned out to just be a gluten allergy.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
How's the Olympus lineup right now? How does the EM10 or EM5 stand up to something like the D7000 or X100 in terms of ISO and lowlight? I have an X100 right now and I was thinking of upgrading to the D7000 as I already have Nikon DX kit, but a mirrorless with a fast prime (like the X100) seems enticing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

feigning interest posted:

My uncle thought he had IBIS for years but it turned out to just be a gluten allergy.

That sucks man. My uncle joined IBIS and now he's on the US most-wanted list.