Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is Unity the first game with these murder mystery missions? I'm really enjoying being M. Dorian, Inspecteur Parisien. Like more than most of the game. I put on the Shay outfit and walk around respectable and everything.* The only mystery he hasn't solved: how people get into their houses with no doors or stairs.

*As respectable as a man can be without a cocked hat! I have got to collect those Napoleon things in order to be dressed decently in public.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Arglebargle III posted:

Is Unity the first game with these murder mystery missions? I'm really enjoying being M. Dorian, Inspecteur Parisien. Like more than most of the game. I put on the Shay outfit and walk around respectable and everything.* The only mystery he hasn't solved: how people get into their houses with no doors or stairs.

*As respectable as a man can be without a cocked hat! I have got to collect those Napoleon things in order to be dressed decently in public.

It is the first one, yes. I just wish they were a little more involved. 9 times out of 10 it is painfully easy to see who did it. I think there was even one where there was only one possible suspect.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Are there new combat/stealth kill animations in Rogue or are they exactly the same as Black Flag's animations?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Man, I kinda like Freedom Cry and I think it's a lot of value for what it is, but it sure would be nice if i could walk 5 steps in Port-au-Prince before being attacked by guards.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

kanonvandekempen posted:

Man, I kinda like Freedom Cry and I think it's a lot of value for what it is, but it sure would be nice if i could walk 5 steps in Port-au-Prince before being attacked by guards.

Reminds me of Final Fantasy 7's random encounters a bit.

Also to be fair, a black dude running around heavily armed would probably get that sort of response at the time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't understand how the parkour is supposed to be better in Unity. Arno does whatever the gently caress he wants and I just kinda point him in a direction. If Arno wants to leap 15 feet to the left or hang from a door knocker while a dozen guards shoot at him then by God Arno is going to do it.

The parkour up/down thing sounds like a good idea until you realize you can't use it and the right thumbstick at the same time. It hinders navigation.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 6, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The changes in climbing are alright, but I'm mainly in love with the ability to quickly descend whenever I need to, without having to look for a haystack or just jump off a roof and pray I don't die from fall damage.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't understand how the parkour is supposed to be better in Unity. Arno does whatever the gently caress he wants and I just kinda point him in a direction. If Arno wants to leap 15 feet to the left or hang from a door knocker while a dozen guards shoot at him then by God Arno is going to do it.

While this has always been a problem in the series, ever since AC3 removed it I've thought Ubisoft should add back the button that allowed Ezio to run, or at least move faster than a light jog, but not activate free-running and wall climbing. It was really helpful when running across rooftops or through narrow streets when not under the pressure of a strict time limit or a scripted chase sequence.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Arglebargle III posted:

I enjoyed the mystery missions, but when in the investigation, the right side of the screen was constantly filling with pop-ups, one for detailed evidence, then another over the top of the evidence telling me that the database had new evidence, preventing me from seeing the evidence it was telling me about. I spent the whole time dismissing popups and trying to re-view evidence. How did this not come up in testing?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I can't complete the parkour section in The Tournament. Arno is too hard to control. But mostly it's the mission design, whoever did this should be fired. I've been at it for a good 30 minutes. It's a ridiculous, pointless gate that appears to exist only to pad out the mission but for me has broken it.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Is Rogue in the new unity engine or is it closer to black flag in visual quality/controls? The lighting in Unity is really spectacular.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

The changes in climbing are alright, but I'm mainly in love with the ability to quickly descend whenever I need to, without having to look for a haystack or just jump off a roof and pray I don't die from fall damage.

This feature would be better if it didn't automatically tilt the camera straight down whenever you use it, effectively blinding the player.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

HORMELCHILI posted:

Is Rogue in the new unity engine or is it closer to black flag in visual quality/controls? The lighting in Unity is really spectacular.

Black Flag engine IIRC.

Which is still really freaking beautiful mind you.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I give up, I guess I just won't ever complete The Tournament or get the Phantom Hood that's locked behind it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

I give up, I guess I just won't ever complete The Tournament or get the Phantom Hood that's locked behind it.

Try looking up a video or two of doing it solo. It's possible and I've done it, but it might take a few times. You have room for error, but not much. It's easier on PC since you have more control over the parkour.

The rest of the mission is nothing special.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

HORMELCHILI posted:

It looks and plays exactly like Black Flag, but with more features and new environments, stuff like that.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Black Flag ran like a beauty on my (oldish) gaming laptop but Unity looks like total, washed-out crap and makes it overheat. Will I be able to play Rogue or should I give up and bury my PC in shame?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Sorry man, I don't think even modern laptops could run Unity very well. But the good (bad?) news is that it probably isn't entirely your computer's fault; AC:U is just really poorly optimized. Rogue might've gotten a better port.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

tripwood posted:

Black Flag ran like a beauty on my (oldish) gaming laptop but Unity looks like total, washed-out crap and makes it overheat. Will I be able to play Rogue or should I give up and bury my PC in shame?

Rogue uses the Black Flag engine, Unity is currently the only Assassin's Creed game that uses the Unity engine. Despite coming out around the same time, Unity is the next-gen exclusive version with the new graphics and stuff. Rogue is essentially an expansion on Black Flag, by which I mean it is like Black Flag + Even More Cool Stuff.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Arglebargle III posted:

I can't complete the parkour section in The Tournament. Arno is too hard to control. But mostly it's the mission design, whoever did this should be fired. I've been at it for a good 30 minutes. It's a ridiculous, pointless gate that appears to exist only to pad out the mission but for me has broken it.

Maybe you mentioned this earlier, but can you play co-op rather than solo?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

One thing I'm curious about is I noticed that the Deluxe Edition of Rogue comes with the time savers crap, is there any way to prevent that stuff from activating?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Deakul posted:

One thing I'm curious about is I noticed that the Deluxe Edition of Rogue comes with the time savers crap, is there any way to prevent that stuff from activating?

The language makes it sound like you can give those away, so it sounds like your order will come with codes for each of them, which you can choose to use or give away as you wish.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Crappy Jack posted:

The language makes it sound like you can give those away, so it sounds like your order will come with codes for each of them, which you can choose to use or give away as you wish.

Ah, right, just noticed the "share with a friend" part of the description.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I've had these games in my steam library for a while, and I finally decided to chomp into them. AC was ok; the gameplay was definitely dated but the free running was cool.

Then I played AC2. :stare: This game is amazing! I got a really intense sense of vertigo when Ezio climbed some of the poo poo that was in Florence. I really see what people meant by AC2 being so much better than AC.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I haven't played Unity because frankly I don't feel like moving to a new generation of ludicrously expensive machines, but I'd expect the controls for Unity to be a problem anyway, the fact that they've "upgraded" them is only going to make it worse somehow. The slightly haphazard freerunning has always been a problem in these games, but that's because it's ambitious and there's numerous ways to get around, and there's always going to be a chance that the game assumes you want to do something wildly different from what you're trying to do. And then they added new tricks like leaping up high gaps, instant-climb cables, tree climbing, and other types of moving around scenery; Everything they add is another opportunity for the game to misunderstand where you want to go and throw you off a building to your death.

I'm not sure if it's just because AC2 was such a good game, or because it was followed by another two Ezio games, but even now I still have a habit of saying "gently caress's sake, Ezio" whenever freerunning goes wrong in these games.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

TheDarkFlame posted:

I haven't played Unity because frankly I don't feel like moving to a new generation of ludicrously expensive machines, but I'd expect the controls for Unity to be a problem anyway, the fact that they've "upgraded" them is only going to make it worse somehow. The slightly haphazard freerunning has always been a problem in these games, but that's because it's ambitious and there's numerous ways to get around, and there's always going to be a chance that the game assumes you want to do something wildly different from what you're trying to do. And then they added new tricks like leaping up high gaps, instant-climb cables, tree climbing, and other types of moving around scenery; Everything they add is another opportunity for the game to misunderstand where you want to go and throw you off a building to your death.

The freerunning does work a lot better under Unity's new control scheme, in my experience. The one thing that doesn't work at all are the new stealth controls. It never sticks Arno to the correct surface. At all.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this? posted:

It does have some missteps though, like how the NYC area feels completely pointless and the general AC feature creep where they just add a bunch more mechanics in just to have more mechanics.

New York is superfluous, and I haven't compared it to AC3's New York, but it feels more densely built and enjoyable to climb than the old one.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Sorry man, I don't think even modern laptops could run Unity very well. But the good (bad?) news is that it probably isn't entirely your computer's fault; AC:U is just really poorly optimized. Rogue might've gotten a better port.

Runs beautifully on high settings on my brand spanking new laptop.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Crappy Jack posted:

Rogue also lets you walk around in this outfit, so it's the best game in the franchise.

So uh drat when is this out on the PC then :ocelot::stare:

Edit:

Oh drat, the 10th? I thought it was end of March, gently caress yes.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 7, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ugh the parkour developers should each have to solo this garbage. It's a constant battle with the controls.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Mameluke posted:

New York is superfluous, and I haven't compared it to AC3's New York, but it feels more densely built and enjoyable to climb than the old one.

Yeah, AC3's New York was after the Great Fire and, I think, smaller besides. Rogue's is definitely better--plus I recognize place names (Stuyvesant!)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like the murder mysteries but only the 5 star one was any challenge. I missed the sand caking the butcher's assistant's boots and accused the surgeon's assistant because the notebook seemed to be the only connection between victim and suspect. I forgot that the victim had recently returned from grocery shopping.

I would seriously pay money for a detective game set in 1792 Paris though.

Can anyone explain what's going on with controller rumble? Often when I'm sneaking around or looking for things it will give brief jerks but I'm not sure why.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 8, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow I'm on Sequence 8 or 9 Hoarders and it's a great example of Unity being unable to find its rear end with both hands. I've got this optional mission objective to rescue a guy who has literally never been mentioned before. Outside of this little checkbox in my UI he might as well not even exist. I didn't rescue him and it appears he will never be mentioned again. Can you imagine this happening in Black Flag even? This is a main story quest. What a complete failure of basic writing and design.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, the game doesn't give any indication as to where he is. I ended up stumbling across him while trying to sneak into the building. There isn't much to the encounter and it really doesn't add anything to the story.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Yeah I finally finished black flag yesterday and absolutely loved it. The story and gameplay were both fantastic and worked together well, and I actually cared about the characters involved.

Unity was a big step back on every front but the parkour. Ultimately it was neither fun nor interesting to play. It's baffling how amazing black flag was compared to how horrid Unity is.

Definitely not getting Victory.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah I finally finished black flag yesterday and absolutely loved it. The story and gameplay were both fantastic and worked together well, and I actually cared about the characters involved.

Unity was a big step back on every front but the parkour. Ultimately it was neither fun nor interesting to play. It's baffling how amazing black flag was compared to how horrid Unity is.

Definitely not getting Victory.

I don't think Black Flag was ever meant to be a full Assassins Creed game, it was supposed to be its own thing. Ubi put the boat sections in 3, everyone loved them, so they turned around and turned <Pirate Game> into an AC game. Not sure what they had planned otherwise, as AC is a yearly release now. Maybe I'm wrong and AC4 always was a pirate game.

I do wonder if they'll keep the spin offs up ala AC:Rogue or whether it'll finally branch off and be its own thing. Rogue, from what I can see, was definitely cobbled from AC3 and AC4 assets.

Related: Excited for AC:Rogue PC this week! :dance:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 9, 2015

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Still on the fence about Rogue. I'm feeling pretty fatigued with the series having played every game up to Unity, not sure I'm up for a spinoff that just rehashes a previous game. Is it actually worthwhile or merely decent?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Snuffman posted:

Related: Excited for AC:Rogue PC this week! :dance:

Me too! Doesn't it come out midnight tonight?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

man nurse posted:

Still on the fence about Rogue. I'm feeling pretty fatigued with the series having played every game up to Unity, not sure I'm up for a spinoff that just rehashes a previous game. Is it actually worthwhile or merely decent?

If you're feeling AC burnout, it's not like Rogue is going to magically disappear from the market. Feel free to take a break and get it on sale.

It's definitely a fun game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Wish they'd announce a PS4 version, I know that by the time I break down and get the XBox 360 version, that'll be the day Ubisoft says 'guess what?'

• Locked thread