Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Dr. Faustus posted:

Are you going to use a neck jig? I've always wanted to do my own fretwork but the price of the tools seems... prohibitive. And the last thing I want to do is ruin a neck. I just want to level/crown/polish frets, not replace them.

I don't quite understand he necessity of the neck jig. I've leveled the frets on tons of guitars without one. Don't get wrong, it could be amazing but it's an expensive piece.

And yeah the tools are expensive. I wouldn't own them for only working on my own stuff. I own a shop and do 3 or 4 guitars a week. I paid off my tools in literally a week though.

I tried out my new beam today on my own guitar (as I always do with new tools), with no neck jig and it is a monster player now.

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

HollisBrown posted:

I don't quite understand he necessity of the neck jig. I've leveled the frets on tons of guitars without one. Don't get wrong, it could be amazing but it's an expensive piece.

And yeah the tools are expensive. I wouldn't own them for only working on my own stuff. I own a shop and do 3 or 4 guitars a week. I paid off my tools in literally a week though.

I tried out my new beam today on my own guitar (as I always do with new tools), with no neck jig and it is a monster player now.

Holy poo poo, Hollis. You are an inspiration.

Could you maybe list the minimum required tools to do such work? With sources/prices (hopefully better than StewMac) because I am absolutely fascinated by the results of your last post.

More about those tools: Your new aluminum piece. Is it radiused and if so, to what radius? Is it like a file, or just plain metal? Will it last? How will it stand up to use over nickel/steel?

I have more questions than I can think of, and I have Dan Erlewine's Guitar Repair book.

E: GODDAMN THOSE PICS great work, HB.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 6, 2015

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

HollisBrown posted:

Off topic but is that a Blue Agave strat? I still kick myself for selling mine. Its such a great color. I wish they still made it.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Dr. Faustus posted:

Holy poo poo, Hollis. You are an inspiration.

Could you maybe list the minimum required tools to do such work? With sources/prices (hopefully better than StewMac) because I am absolutely fascinated by the results of your last post.

More about those tools: Your new aluminum piece. Is it radiused and if so, to what radius? Is it like a file, or just plain metal? Will it last? How will it stand up to use over nickel/steel?

I have more questions than I can think of, and I have Dan Erlewine's Guitar Repair book.

E: GODDAMN THOSE PICS great work, HB.

Honestly Stew Mac is great for somethings and terrible for others.

And no the bar isn't radiused, you only need a radiused beam for the initial filing after fret installation. If you go straight up and down the string path you will maintain the original radius.

I use 3M 320 grit Stickit sandpaper on the bottom of the beam so the beam should last forever. You do need to check them for straightness every now and again however. I got lucky with this peice, it came very straight and they don't always.

I got my beam from here: http://www.onlinemetals.com/

You need:
A fret rocker
a notched straight edge (absolute must)
some form of a long straight file for filing fret ends
18"beam (don't ever try to file down the fret tops, you'll spend hours getting tooling marks out)
triangle file with edges ground off
320 grit paper
600 grit paper
1500 grit paper
0000 steel wool or 2000 grit paper
mini ruler that measures down to 64ths
understring radius gauges (helpful but not a must)

most of this stuff can be had fairly cheaply but stew macs stuff is made very well and saves me tons of time.

This kit is a great place to start http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Essential_Tool_Kits/Essential_Fretting_Kit.html and you can look for alternatives on Amazon. And you don't need the hammer or nippers unless you are installing or pulling frets.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

uncle spero posted:

Off topic but is that a Blue Agave strat? I still kick myself for selling mine. Its such a great color. I wish they still made it.

Yeah it is, or it might be lake placid blue I reluctantly took it on trade 4 months ago and stuck it in my closet. Then I took it to work to teach few lessons on it only to realize that I felt REALLY good. I love the neck shape and it played pretty well. The pickups are trash though. I really need to replace them.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

HollisBrown posted:

This kit is a great place to start http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Essential_Tool_Kits/Essential_Fretting_Kit.html and you can look for alternatives on Amazon. And you don't need the hammer or nippers unless you are installing or pulling frets.

Seconding all this - I bought most of these same tools from StewMac a few years ago to do my own fretwork, and the quality is great. I haven't used them a whole ton (only to work on my own guitars), but I'm pretty sure I've at least saved the amount of money they cost me by doing my own work.

I did end saving a little money by making my own notched straightedges though - I just bought some nice straight pieces of aluminum flat stock and notched them myself with a dremel.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

JohnnySmitch posted:

I did end saving a little money by making my own notched straightedges though - I just bought some nice straight pieces of aluminum flat stock and notched them myself with a dremel.

Yeah there is 0 reason to pay $45 or whatever nonsense Stew Mac sells theirs for.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
^ it was an easy decision for me too; I would have needed to buy at least 2 of them because I needed different scales too (full size guitar, 3/4 size guitar, bass). I still gotta cut another one to use for my baritone one of these days.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
My matching BG neck pickup showed up. Now to decide if I want P90s in the Gibson or do a double P90 in my Strat. :ohdear:

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

plerocercoid posted:

This always drove me crazy. You can play so much more expressively when not drumming like a caveman, and I've almost never played where I couldn't be heard over the rest of a band. If your drums can't be heard then they either need to be microphoned or the sound guy sucks at balancing things.

"Dude, you gotta hit those things. We can't ever hear you."

"Maybe your amps don't need to be on 11 when I'm not mic'd and we're in a goddamn practice closet."

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Decided on the LPJ. Sounds pretty good to my ears. If you want hum sized P90s, consider BG pups. :bravo2:

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Body for my next project has just arrived. An MJT Strat in nitro tobacco sunburst.

Got a pretty good deal on it as its not very conventional. I have wanted a hardtail strat for a while. I plan on building it up all 70's style with a big headstock and black pickups and pickguard, but I won't have to deal with a 3 bolt neck. This one has a 4 bolt neck pocket with a contour like the deluxe strats used to (and maybe still do) have. Also has a humbucker route in the bridge but I think I am going to do a set of Duncan everything axe pickups with push/pull pots.

Relicing is slightly more tasteful than what MJT usually do, with just a lot of bangs on the edges. Looking forward to finding the rest of the parts for this one.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

uncle spero posted:

Body for my next project has just arrived. An MJT Strat in nitro tobacco sunburst.

Got a pretty good deal on it as its not very conventional. I have wanted a hardtail strat for a while. I plan on building it up all 70's style with a big headstock and black pickups and pickguard, but I won't have to deal with a 3 bolt neck. This one has a 4 bolt neck pocket with a contour like the deluxe strats used to (and maybe still do) have. Also has a humbucker route in the bridge but I think I am going to do a set of Duncan everything axe pickups with push/pull pots.

Relicing is slightly more tasteful than what MJT usually do, with just a lot of bangs on the edges. Looking forward to finding the rest of the parts for this one.

You had that beautiful guitar made to look like an old guitar that you or someone else has used for decades. smdh

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Can we please not let the terrible, terrible relic debate enter here? Please?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Schpyder posted:

that debate so tired its all dinged up and scuffed around the edges

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Schpyder posted:

I bought a new JEM77FP in 1989 and I beat the poo poo out of it, playing in my dorm and dragging it to gigs. If you like, I'll show you how it looks today.

I didn't "relic" my most prized instrument. I PLAYED it for over 25 years.

So, no. If you have something to say, then just say it. My other guitars have been reliced, by being actual relics, played at rehearsals, dragged to gigs, and chipped and dented and played.

I don't ask you to respect anything. I just want you to consider that relic = premium price for fake cred.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
you never loving learn dude

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

I bought a new JEM77FP in 1989 and I beat the poo poo out of it, playing in my dorm and dragging it to gigs. If you like, I'll show you how it looks today.

So, no. If you have something to say, then just say it. My other guitars have been reliced, by being actual relics, played at rehearsals, dragged to gigs, and chipped and dented and played.

I don't ask you to respect anything. I just want you to consider that relic = premium price for fake cred.

So I guess your answer to his question was "no, we can't not let the terrible relic debate enter here" then.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Relicing is a farce and you and muike know this.

You don't fake talent and you don't fake credibility.

I may not be your musician of choice but I know better than to pay my luthier a shitload of money to make me look like SRV. I'm not sorry about it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
someone make ascii art of the point going over faustus' head and into orbit

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

In my case its just a matter of not minding relicing. I try an do my projects on a budget and find things that are interesting. The guy who does these bodies does a dozen or so a week and puts them all up on ebay at 99 cents. Polyurethane finishes feel really sticky on my palm. Its not something that bothers most people, but I guess its just a quirk I have. I don't have that issue with guitars finished in lacquer.

So, when it comes to picking up a lacquer body at MIM prices, I find this MJT guy to be a solid way to go. I fall sucker to the lure of something you can potentially get a steal on since his auctions start low with no reserve. In a perfect world, I'd get the body without any relicing, but I don't care about that enough to wait around for a different auction with this uncommon bridge rout or jump into the 400 dollar range for one of his made-to-orders or a body off a AVRI or Highway 1 Fender. He does some really heavy one color over another Rory Gallagher type relics that I can't imagine ever grabbing for a project no matter how low the bidding ends at, but its usually the opposite in that people want the heavy relic jobs and bid those up.

By the time this guitar is done it won't even likely look like a relic, because I am sure the neck I find for it will be newish looking anyway. I'm more interested in doing the internals than anything else. Don't worry, I won't be taking any of your cred. I just like a good build project. I don't even play out.

Edit: I think the used MIM bodies in the price range of this one are finished in Polyester, not Polyurethane. Either way, I like the way lacquer feels on my skin better.

uncle spero fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 9, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
You don't have to justify yourself, man. It's your guitar. It's your money. Do whatever the gently caress you want. Don't listen to whiny old farts who have too much time on their hands.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

You don't have to justify yourself, man. It's your guitar. It's your money. Do whatever the gently caress you want. Don't listen to whiny old farts who have too much time on their hands.

Naturally, but I also get where Faustus is coming from. People pay a lot of money for things that may be of dubious sonic value or all about looks. I try and do things on the cheap, and wanted to clear my name that I wasn't going out and commissioning some guy to painstakingly recreate history. For reference, the body was 200 bucks. Budget for the whole guitar is around 600.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Dr. Faustus posted:

I think if you stop dragging your prize possession around and maybe put it in a case or a gig bag or something you could probably cut down on the chipping and denting and stuff.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Relicing is a farce and you and muike know this.

You don't fake talent and you don't fake credibility.

I may not be your musician of choice but I know better than to pay my luthier a shitload of money to make me look like SRV. I'm not sorry about it.

It's all about looks.

Relicing is just making something look the way you want it to. It's the same as wanting a blue guitar with gold hardware and then babying the poo poo out of it so it stays that way.

The more the debate goes on, the more I think it's the people who have naturally reliced gear who are the annoying ones. It's like they have chip on their shoulder because someone took a perceived shortcut, loudly proclaiming that "it's all about the music" but then feeling inferior because of the way something they don't own looks.

Billy Gibbons has real beat up guitars and reliced guitars, but he also has furry guitars and rubber ones you can stab a knife through. None of it is wrong.

You play what you want on whatever you want. There's no debate because it's all personal preference.

Make less noise with your keyboard and more with your guitar (unless you're a keyboardist then do whatever, I guess).

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

uncle spero posted:

In my case its just a matter of not minding relicing. I try an do my projects on a budget and find things that are interesting. The guy who does these bodies does a dozen or so a week and puts them all up on ebay at 99 cents. Polyurethane finishes feel really sticky on my palm. Its not something that bothers most people, but I guess its just a quirk I have. I don't have that issue with guitars finished in lacquer.

So, when it comes to picking up a lacquer body at MIM prices, I find this MJT guy to be a solid way to go. I fall sucker to the lure of something you can potentially get a steal on since his auctions start low with no reserve. In a perfect world, I'd get the body without any relicing, but I don't care about that enough to wait around for a different auction with this uncommon bridge rout or jump into the 400 dollar range for one of his made-to-orders or a body off a AVRI or Highway 1 Fender. He does some really heavy one color over another Rory Gallagher type relics that I can't imagine ever grabbing for a project no matter how low the bidding ends at, but its usually the opposite in that people want the heavy relic jobs and bid those up.

By the time this guitar is done it won't even likely look like a relic, because I am sure the neck I find for it will be newish looking anyway. I'm more interested in doing the internals than anything else. Don't worry, I won't be taking any of your cred. I just like a good build project. I don't even play out.

Edit: I think the used MIM bodies in the price range of this one are finished in Polyester, not Polyurethane. Either way, I like the way lacquer feels on my skin better.
I assumed (incorrectly) that this purchase was (as usual) MORE expensive than a beautiful new guitar. I was wrong and I'm sorry to have given offense (to the people who weren't the buyer.)

Otherwise my position stands as stated: I think you don't have someone antique your new guitar, any more than I want someone to sell me a cabinet that is brand new; but looks thirty years old because it's been beaten with chains and sand-blasted and tortured under lamps. You want looks? Play it. A lot.

quote:

Make less noise with your keyboard and more with your guitar (unless you're a keyboardist then do whatever, I guess).
I play. I've played since I was 16. I'm 43, now.
Yeah, I have opinions and some people hate them, and some people hate me. I'll play for you if you if you tell me what you want me to play.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 9, 2015

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dr. Faustus posted:

lol like anyone gives or should give a flying gently caress about "cred."

I give up. I've tried to steer you away from being a terrible poster in the past, Faustus, but gently caress it. This isn't even the GBS thread, but you seem bound and determined to be The Guitar Shitposter, so have at it from here on out. Be That Guy.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Schpyder posted:

lol like anyone gives or should give a flying gently caress about "cred."

I give up. I've tried to steer you away from being a terrible poster in the past, Faustus, but gently caress it. This isn't even the GBS thread, but you seem bound and determined to be The Guitar Shitposter, so have at it from here on out. Be That Guy.

Fair enough. I didn't direct that comment at you.

If you think that most relic guitar buyers aren't looking for credibility, um

At least please accept my thanks for your sincere attempts to make me a better poster. I appreciate that.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 9, 2015

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I think most of them are buying relics because they think they look cool or look like the guitar their guitar idol plays, not because they're searching for fake credibility. I mean, why the gently caress did you buy your GEMs? Come the gently caress on, man.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Schpyder posted:

I think most of them are buying relics because they think they look cool or look like the guitar their guitar idol plays, not because they're searching for fake credibility. I mean, why the gently caress did you buy your GEMs? Come the gently caress on, man.
I bought my JEMs new because I thought they were the guitars with the best specs and features. I still do. I don't pay someone to beat them up, first. That comes from my love of playing them and rehearsing with them and gigging with them.

I would have bought the JEM77FP without Vai's name on it, I simply was a young man who liked the appointments. It was cool as poo poo, I thought.

I beat the poo poo out of it myself.

The JEM70VSFG I bought because I thought (and still think) SeaFoam Green and pearloid with the SFG vine inlay looks awesome. I'm trying not to beat this one up, even though you all hate it and you hate me.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 9, 2015

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Is that you, Steve?

You're a really bad poster. Go back to playing your dumb flower guitar.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
You gotta admit it's pretty funny that people will pay top dollar for a guitar that looks beat to poo poo when you can buy one that's actually beat to poo poo but still playable for cheap.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Juaguocio posted:

Is that you, Steve?

You're a really bad poster. Go back to playing your dumb flower guitar.

Peekaboo, I see you Steve. You can't hind behind that guitar neck silly.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

comes along bort posted:

You gotta admit it's pretty funny that people will pay top dollar for a guitar that looks beat to poo poo when you can buy one that's actually beat to poo poo but still playable for cheap.

Very true, but you know what's even funnier? Someone paying top dollar for a guitar endorsed by Steve Vai.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I know you don't like it. You don't have to like it.

But I'm the original owner of this guitar. Is it older than you? I'll wager it plays better than you.

comes along bort posted:

CAB is right.

Juaguocio posted:

Very true, but you know what's even funnier? Someone paying top dollar for a guitar endorsed by Steve Vai.
I didn't pay top dollar, and like I said I bought it for the specs. There was nothing else like it, back then. Vai was pretty amazing if you weren't around then; but I bought it for the features, not the name.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 9, 2015

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Jesus Christ I bet this will be even better when I post some finished pics of the strat in a couple months.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

uncle spero posted:

Jesus Christ I bet this will be even better when I post some finished pics of the strat in a couple months.
I've always wanted a tobacco sunburst Strat (style). I can't wait to see it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

One of those is still on my grail list.

Yes, I'll admit, it was in part because when I first heard Vai it was nothing I'd ever heard or experienced before (yes, I'm old, get off my lawn) and I still have a soft spot in my withered old heart for that first step into a wider musical world, but mostly it's because I still think it's one of the most beautiful, original looking guitars I've ever seen and, well, I just want one so gently caress it.

As far as relics, I don't really understand them myself (although I totally understand 'gently caress the finish it was priced right for me') and I don't see myself ever buying one, but hey, if it's a guitar that makes you want to pick it up and play it, and it makes you happy and you can make weird noises with it, gently caress yeah, knock yourself out.

This is a great time for being a guitarist, there are so many choices available that no one is limited to 'well I know it looks like horse rear end, but it plays well' anymore.

butros posted:

I think if you stop dragging your prize possession around and maybe put it in a case or a gig bag or something you could probably cut down on the chipping and denting and stuff.
Not so long as cymbals exist.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
This is the 15 year old Strat I bought new in my teenage years.

Mildest amount of finish missing from the top of the fretboard

Some edge rounding from playing

I loved the poo poo out of that Strat in my youth. Played a half dozen gigs with it, tons of band practice, and just lots of learning to play on it. I don't consider It credibility in anyway, but knowing all those marks were made by me, it's more of a bonding thing. Something I loved and not something I hung on a wall and looked at. I sort of get where Faustus is coming from, but as long as you just want to play the loving thing, I could care less about how it looks. If playing a beat up guitar makes you more confident in your playing, then go nuts.

I also want to do a few fix ups for the old Strat and get it playing more with the band again.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If you don't soak your new guitars for a week in a vat of aged billy gibbons urine then you're nothing.