Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Veloxyll posted:

Are their any range bonuses to either artillery or Line of sight? Or movement penalties to fighting uphill?

I assume that given the current rules artillery cant fire over terraces above their current station?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
So I thought an organizational spreadsheet might help with organizing who gets what.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

warhammer651 posted:

Grey: Do Korps commanders actually control any of their units, or are Corps assets attached to one of the regiments in one of their 2 divisions? And it says divisional and korps asstes need to be assigned to regiments, but the guns are already in regiments? Do we assign them to one of the 4 regiments of infantry or are they their own thing?

Grey should confirm, but I recommend everyone read his blog posts:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704884#post442427179

They explain some of the mechanics in the game, and you can basically skip to numbers 4 and 5.

From within the posts:

quote:

Each division commander gets his own pool, but the Corps commander gets his pool which he can allocate to his subordinates. I decide to split them fairly evenly. 2 to one division and 1 to the other.

So from what I understand, the field marshall can allocate points to Corps commanders, who can then allocate points to division commanders as needed. You give them primarily to units you need to hurry up or press the attack.

As a Corps commander, your focus is much smaller - I'll set a general objective and you order your divisional commanders around. You may even want to crop out your section of the map and zoom in once we finalize our deployments, as well as organize how exactly you want your divisions aligned. Do you want cavalry first? Artillery? Infantry? Etc.

Divisional commanders may want to zoom in even further for your personal map, and while you won't have as much leeway in what you do, you'll be in the front lines actually making the rolls and receiving the glory. If your commander gives you some leeway, you may even want to align your forces properly or try to pull off cool maneuvers.

steinrokkan posted:

It's the other way around - the battle should be fought where there are important goals and features. The ridges provide overwatch over the other features of the battlefield while the other possible routes lead into obscured countryside without any inherent value.

:germanmilitarydialectics:

This would be true, but we get to choose where we fight to some degree. This is the true advantage of being on the offensive - we can simply skip areas that are unfavorable to us and force the French to fight on less favorable terrain. But if it is the desire of our commanders, we will go with whatever plan you guys determine! Also feel free to modify or propose any totally new ones.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The general signup sheet indicated you guys were short on corps commanders, so I came here to join up, but it looks like you've got things in order. Are there any positions available?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dublish posted:

The general signup sheet indicated you guys were short on corps commanders, so I came here to join up, but it looks like you've got things in order. Are there any positions available?

Noone has claimed a division yet - come on board!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Things are still being assigned at the moment. Keep an eye on the thread though for when we figure out what we're short on.

Also bear in mind that we've two less Division Commanders who got field promoted to Korps.

Welcome to the winning team/thread.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Things are still being assigned at the moment. Keep an eye on the thread though for when we figure out what we're short on.

Also bear in mind that we've two less Division Commanders who got field promoted to Korps.

Welcome to the winning team/thread.

You know, if the rest of our divisional commanders show up. Though i suppose haveing the only one means I have an advantage during the inevitable mutiny.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also, to facilitate chat and planning, I've joined the IRC channel #GoonKrieg.

To join, go to this link:
https://client02.chat.mibbit.com/

Choose Synirc from the "connect" list, enter your SA username, and put in #GoonKrieg for the channel.

Allied spies may be about, so beware!

EDIT: I'll be online for a bit, not sure if this will catch on but it might help to have a place to chat that isn't as public for the Entente to see.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

A quick look says we MIGHT have enough Division Commanders.

Assuming everyone shows up. But give em a day or so.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
uh...people have jumped the gun on taking corps commands. dublish and I had dibs on corps (see the spreadsheet), slots that have now been claimed by warhammer651, ThatBasqueGuy, and Veloxyll.

Veloxyll, would you mind swapping IV Korps with me?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
When i claimed my Korps, there were two open slots on the spreadsheet. It happened after the threads got divided

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I claim the second division, man this will be a loving slaughter house.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
GeneralMajor Gerdt von Powerthighs has reported for duty commanding the 6th division under III Korps Steinrokkan.

Edit: Of the Bavarian von Powerthighs'.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 9, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Crowsbeak posted:

I claim the second division, man this will be a loving slaughter house.

The French and British will indeed be placed in houses to be slaughtered on our way to Paris.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
The French may deploy anywhere south of the River Sombre.

Also.

Engineers

Engineers in this game are combined combat engineers/pioneers.

An engineer company can make 2.5" of entrenchments (foxholes, small trenches and the like) every 4 turns. Barbed wire is placed at 1.4" per 4 turns.

They may also build pontoon bridges, at 16 turns to build a 1 company wide bridge. Every extra unit reduces this time by 2 turns per turn they work, to a minimum of 4 turns.

No mines, but I'll allow demolition of Bridges, with 4 turns needed to prep a bridge. I will then roll when you try and blow it.

There is your scaled Range ruler.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

Also.

Engineers

An engineer company can make 2.5" of entrenchments (foxholes, small trenches and the like) every 4 turns. Barbed wire is placed at 1.4" per 4 turns.

They may also build pontoon bridges, at 16 turns to build a 1 company wide bridge. Every extra unit reduces this time by 2 turns per turn they work, to a minimum of 4 turns.

No mines, but I'll allow demolition of Bridges, with 4 turns needed to prep a bridge. I will then roll when you try and blow it.

Grey, is there a method by which I can communicate with you privately? I don't have PM's :(

EDIT: One way is to join us in #GoonKrieg on Synirc

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Bacarruda posted:

uh...people have jumped the gun on taking corps commands. dublish and I had dibs on corps (see the spreadsheet), slots that have now been claimed by warhammer651, ThatBasqueGuy, and Veloxyll.

Veloxyll, would you mind swapping IV Korps with me?

I don't want a corps, just a division in that corp

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Grey Hunter posted:

Also.

Engineers

Which kind of Mines? Do we mean Land mines, or old fashion siege mining that generally doesn't work as the ACW proved.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I don't want a corps, just a division in that corp

Luckily, all the Korps are filled. Just 2 divs need COs

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

Grey, is there a method by which I can communicate with you privately? I don't have PM's :(

EDIT: One way is to join us in #GoonKrieg on Synirc

thegreyhunter on gmail will work

Crowsbeak posted:

Which kind of Mines? Do we mean Land mines, or old fashion siege mining that generally doesn't work as the ACW proved.

Well, I may allow siege mining later on, but no landmines.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

thegreyhunter on gmail will work

Well, I may allow siege mining later on, but no landmines.

Thanks Grey, I shot an email your way with a few questions, and I'll update the thread with our plans shortly after I hear back.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Generalmajor ArbitraryTA, 4th Division reporting. Assigning assets now.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
After conferring with the divisional commanders and general staff, we have agreed to implement Fall Wagemut to crush the French scum:

We will, instead of trying to suicidally throw our men at the hills and other poor geographical features of the map, exploit the open areas during the period of open maneuver. This calls for a hard right flank attack led by the I. Korps and III. Korps, with the green IV. Korps servings as reserve and rear guard.

The II. Korps will hold L'Usine de Papillon, and otherwise secure the flank from any possible French counter-attack.

This plan grants us the best possible position from which to maneuver to our advantage, and makes whatever French forces are deployed on the East side of the map virtually worthless. Any French Corps deployed in the hills will need to march and abandon them to engage, but will be tied up by the II. Korps to ensure they can't entirely abandon it. Any additional plans to make any attacks at Dax or Mange-Pomme will take many, many turns to bring to any fruition, and by then we will be in Paris enjoying their women and drinking their inferior wines.

:siren: Korps Commanders and Divisional Commanders! :siren:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_umgbBvwYa23n5FhCbWYRc_v2Uk1d26zBhZjQSkmdjw/edit#gid=0

Go to this google doc and finish deploying your forces. Once you are done, go ahead and zoom in on your area of the map and plan your own deployment. We won't be moving this turn, so you don't need to plan movements, but if you plan on going on the offensive or scouting I suggest deploying your regiments accordingly.

Korps Commanders - let your division commanders know roughly where to put their regiments
Division commanders - confer with Korps commanders, and deploy your regiments on a zoomed in map

Post in the thread or email to me (josefstalinator@gmail) when done. I'll also be on IRC much of the time, as will other Korps commanders. Pop on synirc, #GoonKrieg when you have the chance.

Grey also posted his ruler in the thread, so use this as reference:

From right to left:
1. The distance an infantry, bike, or limbered artillery (it takes one turn to set it up and make it immobile) can travel in one turn (8 units)
2. The distance a cavalry can travel in one turn (12 units)
3. The max distance a company can stray from its regiment commander (16 units)
4. The max distance a regiment can stray from its division commander (24 units)
5. The max distance a division can stray from its Korps commander (36 units)

The first two will be most important as we are on the attack, for you to anticipate how far they can move if they pass their move rolls. I conferred with Grey, and he said two companies at a time can cross the bridge, but can spread out once across. So try to begin and end your movements on opposite sides, so as not to clog up the bridge.

EDIT: Also, we will be expanding the map Westward after deployment, so as to give us more room to maneuver.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
drat, 3 Division got shafted for Division attachments! Good job Arbitrary knows what he's doing!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

the rulers are at roughly 2x zoom on the map.

Edit: Grey, do you want us to change our image sizes to our zoom level or would you rather we keep at 2000x1333?

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 9, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Would it be prudent to deploy two (or at least one) Corps to build pontoon bridges at the most dense front section? It seems to take a long time, but all engineers of a Corps could do it together, and if companies can only cross a bridge in single file, 8 inches a turn, with random delays, pushing multiple divisions across a single bridge would take a considerable time.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

the rulers are at roughly 2x zoom on the map.

Edit: Grey, do you want us to change our image sizes to our zoom level or would you rather we keep at 2000x1333?

Argh bloody hell - does that mean the one I posted is wrong?

steinrokkan posted:

Would it be prudent to deploy two (or at least one) Corps to build pontoon bridges at the most dense front section? It seems to take a long time, but all engineers of a Corps could do it together, and if companies can only cross a bridge in single file, 8 inches a turn, with random delays, pushing multiple divisions across a single bridge would take a considerable time.

I asked Grey about this, and so long as your dudes begin on one side of the river, and end on the other, they can fan out once across. Only if you end your move on the bridge can two regiments clog it up. Also, if there is no valid spot for them to exist on the other side.

Remember to assume that some of your regiments will fail their rolls and not actually move.

That said, feel free to build bridges where you think it's prudent. You can always stop if you need to use your engineers elsewhere, I guess!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Well, that's just based on the screenshot with all the rulers on it v the original map.

Also: What are the 10.5 cm Howitzer units on the Unit map about? They're not mentioned on the Order Of Battle sheet.
And should the OOB read 3 infantry batallions of 4 companies. Or 4 batallions of 3 companies?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JosefStalinator posted:

I asked Grey about this, and so long as your dudes begin on one side of the river, and end on the other, they can fan out once across. Only if you end your move on the bridge can two regiments clog it up. Also, if there is no valid spot for them to exist on the other side.

Remember to assume that some of your regiments will fail their rolls and not actually move.

That said, feel free to build bridges where you think it's prudent. You can always stop if you need to use your engineers elsewhere, I guess!

Yeah, but a single division has 48 infantry companies (btw, the spreadsheet put regiments at 4×4 companies, when in reality they are 4×3), MGs, artillery, HQs, cavalry, attachments... All in all a Corps has approx. 165 counters that need to stream across a bridge one after another. So unless companies can move on top of each other (seems unreasonable), a perfectly organized corps would still clog up a bridge for 160/8 = 20 turns.

E: Oh, the picture of a deployed corps uses a different TOE than what is written in the OP - the battalions are of a different size, and divisional artillery is different, too.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 9, 2015

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, but a single division has 48 infantry companies (btw, the spreadsheet put regiments at 4×4 companies, when in reality they are 4×3), MGs, artillery, HQs, cavalry, attachments... All in all a Corps has approx. 165 counters that need to stream across a bridge one after another. So unless companies can move on top of each other (seems unreasonable), a perfectly organized corps would still clog up a bridge for 160/8 = 20 turns.

Good thing I'm a field marshall! That's your problem, maggots!

But seriously, if you could edit the spreadsheet to reflect that, it'd be lovely.

Veloxyll posted:

Well, that's just based on the screenshot with all the rulers on it v the original map.

Also: What are the 10.5 cm Howitzer units on the Unit map about? They're not mentioned on the Order Of Battle sheet.
And should the OOB read 3 infantry batallions of 4 companies. Or 4 batallions of 3 companies?

I think those are just the "artillery" noted in the spreadsheet that arent the 15cm howitzers.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

well, Grey's OOB shows 4x4
so maybe his Korps shot is just out.

Edit: Can we assume that multiple units can cross bridges in the same turn. Roughly by fractions. So an infantry company would use 1/8 of a bridge to cross, while a Cav might use say 1/32.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 9, 2015

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Crap, forgot to note that!

There are 4 regiments of 7mm guns, BUT in most divisions, one of those is replaced by the 10cm ones! I was copying from the main table and forgot to type out the little * bit at the bottom.

The image is correct.

Also, I'm letting 2 companies at a time over the bridge and they can be base to base, so there will be a bottleneck, but not 20 turns worth!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Oh, on range from command, do the command radiuses go to just the next one up in the chain, or is it cumulative?

So does an Infantry company need to be within 36 of Corps Command, 24 of Div Command, AND 16 of Regimental Command

Or is it a case of just needing to be within range of their direct superiors.
So a company has to be within 16 of Regimental Command
Regimental command has to be within 24 of Divisional Command
and Divisional Command has to be within 36 of Corps Command

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Unit arrangement for Fall Wagermut

Will adjust up and right to accommodate other units.

Battlefields are tiny!

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 9, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My dream pontoon spot!!! :argh:

I provisionally consider setting up camp north of the Isle de Huit, in the forest, with the goal of having my divisional commanders deploy their engineers jointly so they can immediately begin building a bridge while the clusterfuck around them balloons up.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 9, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I can move those infantry back so we can squeeze more engineers in there for turbo bridging.

and how explodable are bridges? Both fixed and engineered?

Oh. And how good are our guns at firing past our troops?

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 9, 2015

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Orders for 1 Korps
If you've been paying attention to the planning process, you know where we're deploying. If you haven't, talk to me in the IRC and I'll clear things up for you..

Dublish, 1st Division will deploy up front, be sure to give your guns a good arc of fire on the town. Also see if you can get a half-decent line of fire on the ridges, but I'm not expecting miracles. Your objective is pound the poo poo out of the enemy so our allies can cross the river. you may want to consider using your engineers to make some pontoon bridges to ease the bottleneck.

Crowsbeak 2nd Division, will deploy behind 1st, but get ready to move. We're mostly supporting the operation, rather than being the assault force, so you may want to use your engineers to help with constructing the bridges. That said, if the initial push fails y'all are gonna have to take the bridge. Belay that, Y'all are going to be the spearpoint. Be ready to assault the bridge and make your way to the town. Once You've secured the town, 1st division will move their guns up for a better field of fire

Individual Regiment/company deployments are decidedly Not My Job, so get on that when you can

warhammer651 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 9, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
III KORPS - ORDERS
Slaan (5th Division) - you have been equipped with mobile / infantry assets. Prepare to cross the bridge. The whole place will be crowded with you and I Korps running around. Please try to get in touch with the 2nd Division (Crowsbeak) to coordinate crossing of the bridge. If you run out of space to place your units, try drawing some empty plains to the northern edge of the map. Also I'd recommend moving your artillery regiments forward in the first echelon - you'll need to set them up to relieve the 6th and 1st Divisions on bombardment.

pthighs (6th Division) - you control our heavy guns. Set up on our side of the river with the aim to maintain direct view of possible enemy locations, and keeping the howitzers in range. Also place machine guns forwards so they are unobstructed in protecting the crossing. If you will, coordinate with the 1st Division to use your engineers on building a pontoon bridge. The problem will be to decide who will place their batteries exactly where (1st vs 6th Division), I would prefer an emplacement which would limit your combined width and instead emphasize concentrated firepower.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 9, 2015

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yes yes deployment and all that. More important is when do we receive our beer and preservative rations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Edit: no longer valid

pthighs fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 10, 2015

• Locked thread