Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Party Plane Jones posted:

Air Force of the '50s looks rad as hell.

I love how you can pretty much put a reasonably accurate date on this picture - mid-to-late 1956 - based on the aircraft in it (assuming they're all operational and not prototypes, that is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Look at the shells. The tailgunner is like, "tat.. ratatat.. ratatatatatatatta.. murica"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MrChips posted:

I love how you can pretty much put a reasonably accurate date on this picture - mid-to-late 1956 - based on the aircraft in it (assuming they're all operational and not prototypes, that is).

The red wingtips on the B-52 implies a late prototype, but there are other planes with red accents as well.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

VikingSkull posted:

don't matter, they didn't stop him from getting airborne

:golfclap:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

OhYeah posted:

So some Spanish Eurofighter Typhoons made a low fly-over of Tallinn yesterday. Modern jet fighters are *LOUD*. :stare:

Congrats on seeing like a quarter of the Spanish Air Force

:lol:

(but seriously)

MrChips posted:

This is probably my favorite part of going to holistic museums like Pensacola or the USAF Museum at Wright-Pat...you can walk around and just trace the development of a given type/manufacturer of aircraft from plane to plane, often which occurred in a pretty short amount of time.

I think the best example of this is at Pensacola, where they have a FF-1, a F3F, and a F4F parked right in a row. You can practically see the engineers at Grumman going "okay guys, so this works now, but what's the next step?"

And then you also get to look at complete outliers...like the Gutless Cutlass :wtc:

But on the other hand, you also get outliers like the F4D so :swoon:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

quote:

View of aircraft representative of the US Air Force's operational planes as they fly in formation over the Gulf Coast, Florida, 1956. Visible are, top row from left, B-36 bomber, B-47 bomber, KC-97 tanker, RC-121 observation, B-57, B-66; Second row from left, B-52 bombers, C-131, C-119, C-124 transports; third row from left , F-86D, F-84G, RF-84F, F-102A fighters, bottom row from left, F-94C, F-89H, QF-80A target towing, T-33 jet trainer, F-84F, F-86H, and F-100A. (Photo by J.R. Eyerman/The LIFE Picture Collection/Getty Images)
Credit: J. R. Eyerman / contributor
http://www.gettyimages.in/detail/news-photo/view-of-aircraft-representative-of-the-us-air-forces-news-photo/55394404

Right on the money. The caption neglects the B-45 though.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

iyaayas01 posted:

Congrats on seeing like a quarter of the Spanish Air Force

:lol:

(but seriously)

The situation with the air forces of Western and Southern Europe is a lot more dire than most people think. Germany, for example, has I think 7 Typhoons which are airworthy, and 2 of them were stationed in the Baltics at one point. Which meant they had a whopping 5 aircraft to defend their air space. The only countries which seem to have more or less functional air forces are the Scandinavian ones. Yes, the little ones closer to Russia. Makes you think.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

OhYeah posted:

The situation with the air forces of Western and Southern Europe is a lot more dire than most people think. Germany, for example, has I think 7 Typhoons which are airworthy, and 2 of them were stationed in the Baltics at one point. Which meant they had a whopping 5 aircraft to defend their air space. The only countries which seem to have more or less functional air forces are the Scandinavian ones. Yes, the little ones closer to Russia. Makes you think.

Where are you getting those numbers? Is the claim that only about 6% of all of Germany's Typhoons are airworthy?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

OhYeah posted:

The French and the British have working air forces, too. (Though they could use more transports and tankers. Which is probably why they're so angry at Airbus. The head of the French procurement agency, during a recent visit to Dassault's factory, said "Airbus guys should come here to see how the job's done!") The French also have a working Navy Aviation; Gen. Dempsey just paid them a visit.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Roll Call!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I wonder if that KC-135 is still in service today. :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It could've been active as late as 2009, but probably not.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

StandardVC10 posted:

I wonder if that KC-135 is still in service today. :v:

The tail on it says 53121.

USAF naming conventions changed the tail number to 55-3121

Wikipedia says that this KC-135A and 2 others (55-3127, 59-1465, and 59-1514) became "KC-135A Reconnaissance Platforms" starting in 1961

Wikipedia also says this group later became KC-135R Rivet Stand / Rivet Quick (not to be confused with the other KC-135R turbofan conversion "R" designations) planes

Then Wikipedia says that 55-3121 became a KC-135T Cobra Jaw plane in 1969

Then Wikipedia says that 55-3121 became a RC-135T Rivet Dandy in 1971

and then

Wikipedia posted:

In 1973 the aircraft's SIGINT gear was removed and transferred to KC-135E 58-0126, resulting in 55-3121 assuming the role of trainer, a role which it fulfilled for the remainder of its life.

Externally it retained the 'hog nose' radome and some other external modifications, but the trapeze below the tail was removed, and no refueling boom was fitted and the aircraft had no operational reconnaissance role. In this configuration it operated variously with the 376th Strategic Wing at Kadena AB, Okinawa, the 305th AREFW at Grissom AFB, Indiana, and the 6th Strategic Wing at Eielson AFB, Alaska.

In 1982 the aircraft was modified with Pratt & Whitney TF33-PW102 engines and other modifications common to the KC-135E tanker program, and returned to Eielson AFB. It crashed while on approach to Valdez Airport, [Alaska on 25 February 1985 with the loss of three crew members. The wreckage was not found until August 1985, six months after the accident.
(Emphasis mine) loving Alaska.

EDIT: Keep this in mind next time someone brings up MH-370. We had this plane on radar and radio, emitting a zillion signals, belonging to the USAF, and it's approximate crash location. It's exact location was obscured for half a year because of a little terrain, snow, and plants. Not because of 28,400,000 square miles of water.

More info on the crash here
http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19850225-3

It would have looked like this at the end. It is not one of these because this picture is from 2001

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 10, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I found one source that says that was the very first production -135 Boeing ever handed directly to the Air Force, instead of retaining for flight test.

:eng101:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

B4Ctom1 posted:

(Emphasis mine) loving Alaska.

EDIT: Keep this in mind next time someone brings up MH-370. We had this plane on radar and radio, emitting a zillion signals, belonging to the USAF, and it's approximate crash location. It's exact location was obscured for half a year because of a little terrain, snow, and plants. Not because of 28,400,000 square miles of water.

Still, when I read this I feel like they can't have been looking all that hard? An RC-135 crashes into the side of a mountain, it's bound to be obvious from the air to an observer aircraft flying a few weeks later in better weather, right? They knew the exact ground track it flew.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 10, 2015

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Still, when I read this I feel like they can't have been looking all that hard? An RC-135 crashes into the side of a mountain, it's bound to be obvious from the air to an observer aircraft flying a few weeks later in better weather, right?

The quote is kinda vague and I didn't read the article but it may have gone down in lovely weather, preventing search efforts until it was all covered over with snow. After that? Good luck.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There is that I suppose.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

mlmp08 posted:

Where are you getting those numbers? Is the claim that only about 6% of all of Germany's Typhoons are airworthy?

I've seen similar numbers from various sources, most lately from someone on this forum who is a German. I'm sure if you'll google it you will find many interesting details.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

OhYeah posted:

I've seen similar numbers from various sources, most lately from someone on this forum who is a German. I'm sure if you'll google it you will find many interesting details.

I did and those details point to those numbers being pulled from thin air.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I looked it up as well, the 7-8 numbers all seem to stem from the same Der Spiegel article where the magazine mistakenly added all planes set to undergo routine maintenance as inoperable. There was a report to Germany's parliament that had availability closer to 40%, or a little north of 40 planes. Still poo poo, but certainly not eight out of 109.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

david_a posted:

I've managed to find a somewhat questionable source that says they were indeed 48-ply aluminum impregnated rubber tires filled to 500 psi.

This Saturday I fondled some worn-out SR-71 tires at the Area 51 exhibit (the rest of the exhibit is pretty stupid) at the National Atomic Testing Museum in Las Vegas. And, yes, they do feel drat odd.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Blistex posted:

Roll Call!

I love how relatively dinky that B-50 (I think?) top-right looks compared to even some of the fighters.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mazz posted:

I looked it up as well, the 7-8 numbers all seem to stem from the same Der Spiegel article where the magazine mistakenly added all planes set to undergo routine maintenance as inoperable. There was a report to Germany's parliament that had availability closer to 40%, or a little north of 40 planes. Still poo poo, but certainly not eight out of 109.

They also conflated "fully mission capable" with "capable of flying." Which of course isn't the case. As an example, there have been times where the entire USAF fleet of a particular aircraft has been running a 0% FMC rate...they were still flyable and capable of carrying out their assigned mission, they just had a systematic issue that someone wanted to make a point about, hence the statusing all of them PMC instead of FMC. So they were running a (notional) 85% MC rate, it's just that all that MC time was PMC, not FMC.

tl;dr metrics taken out of context are pretty much worthless.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

iyaayas01 posted:

They also conflated "fully mission capable" with "capable of flying." Which of course isn't the case. As an example, there have been times where the entire USAF fleet of a particular aircraft has been running a 0% FMC rate...they were still flyable and capable of carrying out their assigned mission, they just had a systematic issue that someone wanted to make a point about, hence the statusing all of them PMC instead of FMC. So they were running a (notional) 85% MC rate, it's just that all that MC time was PMC, not FMC.

tl;dr metrics taken out of context are pretty much worthless.

The Air Force used to get so loving irritated when we would rate an operational Patriot Battery as NMC, because the prime mover for the radar had a flat tire or a class III oil leak. They finally, thankfully, won that fight, so we no longer report a static Patriot site as completely broken based on a broken prime mover for a radar that isn't going anywhere any time soon. Of course, it's still reported as NMC on the Army side for the purpose of ordering parts.

It's fully sorted out now, but back when it wasn't it was hilarious to have the joint services call us up when we went red asking what we could still do and our answer was "everything except drive away." Not to mention all the poo poo that makes you NMC on paper that just does not matter in practice.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

iyaayas01 posted:

They also conflated "fully mission capable" with "capable of flying." Which of course isn't the case. As an example, there have been times where the entire USAF fleet of a particular aircraft has been running a 0% FMC rate.

Huh. I didn't think the USAF had a fleet of F-35s yet.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Boeing and Saab strapped a SDB to an M26 rocket motor from the MLRS for ground based launch. Turns out it works pretty well.

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2015-03-10-Boeing-Saab-Adapt-Air-Launched-Small-Bomb-for-Ground-Launch

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mazz posted:

Boeing and Saab strapped a SDB to an M26 rocket motor from the MLRS for ground based launch. Turns out it works pretty well.

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2015-03-10-Boeing-Saab-Adapt-Air-Launched-Small-Bomb-for-Ground-Launch

I don't know why you couldn't hollow out the nose of an ATACMS and pack 2-3 SDBs in there for a pseudo-MIRVed conventional TBM solution. Only downside I could see is that ATACMS already maxes out at the MTCR restrictions range-wise, and the SDBs would effectively give it an illegal range. But if you never intend to export it, there's no issue.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 11, 2015

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

OhYeah posted:

I'm frankly terrified that our shoestring budget conscript armed forces are outclassing major EU nations on paper at this point. How in the hell do we end up with more German tanks than the Germans themselves?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

I'm frankly terrified that our shoestring budget conscript armed forces are outclassing major EU nations on paper at this point. How in the hell do we end up with more German tanks than the Germans themselves?

Because we've been stupid nice enough to cover Europe's scared-of-Russia problem since 1945. Everyone rags on the French, but they went their own way and (largely) pulled it off.

What would be interesting to know is if the countries we currently have dual-key arrangements with regard to shared B61 gravity bombs are keeping their crews properly trained and their aircraft properly maintained and ready. Having seen the Italian Air Force in action first hand it's alarming to know that they have even half-control of nukes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/03/11/black-hawk-helicopter-crashes-into-the-ocean-near-florida-all-11-aboard-presumed-dead-pentagon-says/

RIP

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
A lot of people in Europe don't want armed forces at all. But say, Italian air force has access to nukes? This is something that never gets mentioned in the media, how does that work?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Cippalippus posted:

A lot of people in Europe don't want armed forces at all. But say, Italian air force has access to nukes? This is something that never gets mentioned in the media, how does that work?

Just from the term "dual-key" I would have to guess that its an agreement that allows us to base nukes in Italian territory, but they can nix any actual use of said weapons.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cippalippus posted:

Basically, you have american nuclear weapon loaded on Italian air force Starfighter, with two keys that must be used to arm the weapon. Italian officer has one key, USAF officer has the other.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
UK and France have their own nukes, but a number of other NATO countries get to have nukes as well, shared by the US Air Force. The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Italy, and Turkey are concerned. Canada and Greece used to be on that list, as well.

Belgium (which is planning to replace its old F-16 at some point) said that the ability for the replacement fighter to have nuclear strike capability was necessary (article in French), something that seems custom-tailored to make sure none of the European fighters (Gripen, Typhoon, Rafale) will qualify since none of them have integrated the American B61; what with Sweden not having nukes, France having its own ASMP-A, and the Eurofighter barely starting to get ground attack capabilities. On the other hand, the B61 was integrated on the Panavia Tornado, so there's precedent for the US allowing integration on non-US aircraft. But I don't have the feeling that the US, which are trying to force-feed the JSF to everyone and get rid of European competition on the ever-shrinking fighter market, would be so generous nowadays:

Federation of American Scientists posted:

Initially the old NATO F-16A/B and Tornado PA-200 aircraft that currently serve in the nuclear strike mission will not be able to make use of the increased accuracy of the B61-12, according to U.S. Air Force officials. The reason is that the aircraft computers are not capable of “talking to” the new digital bomb. As a result, the guided tail kit on the B61-12 for Belgian, Dutch, German, Italian and Turkish F-16s and Tornados will initially be “locked” as a “dumb” bomb. Once these countries transition to the F-35 aircraft, however, the enhanced targeting capability will become operational also in these countries.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Because we've been stupid nice enough to cover Europe's scared-of-Russia problem since 1945. Everyone rags on the French, but they went their own way and (largely) pulled it off.

To be fair it's more like since the 90's. It's not like in the actual Cold War there weren't substantial European armies.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't know why you couldn't hollow out the nose of an ATACMS and pack 2-3 SDBs in there for a pseudo-MIRVed conventional TBM solution. Only downside I could see is that ATACMS already maxes out at the MTCR restrictions range-wise, and the SDBs would effectively give it an illegal range. But if you never intend to export it, there's no issue.

MTCR's also completely voluntary and has no enforcement or regulatory provisions. There's nothing illegal about changing our minds and exceeding its restrictions, it's not like it's a treaty.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

The 3/9 issue of the New Yorker has a pretty long article on peace activists, some of them in their eighties, breaking into secured nuclear sites as a form of protest.

Surprise, surprise, a big chunk of our nuclear infrastructure has been privatized and put in the hands of incompetent chucklefucks who actively cheat on readiness tests instead of doing their jobs.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Surprise surprise people whose only incentive is to try and make a buck will try to do just that.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
but muh free market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

My favorite part is the revelation that they would tape over their MILES sensors to keep from getting hit during simulated attacks - often after having been told in advance when and where the attacks would be.