Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

bartok posted:

Having trouble finding a good second front line DPS guy that isn't so squishy to back up my high defense but extremely low damage dealing Cleric. I am approaching team level 46 and depending on the situation I've been swapping between my Brute, Ember Blade, and Admiral but they are going down way too fast. Right now I am deciding on who to focus on next between my Shallow Keeper, Arcane Sapper, and Vanguard Warrior. Based on my time at the arena the Vanguard Warrior seems pretty lame and I never fight anyone using a Shallow Keeper. So I am leaning heavily towards Arcane Sapper who seems pretty decent in PVP.

Ember Blade is your best one you listed. I used him for my tank til level 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Does hiring a merc for crusades take the cost upfront and charge you even if you retreat?

commish
Sep 17, 2009

DemonMage posted:

Speaking of raising skills, it's time for another round of who should I give a poo poo about!

If your guild does raids, you need Tusked and Savage for at least the first 2. They boost damage to insane levels.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yup, Goon Squad clears 7 with a bonus, 8... not quite yet.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Does hiring a merc for crusades take the cost upfront and charge you even if you retreat?

Yes, it costs you for the whole Crusade, not per battle.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!

bartok posted:

Having trouble finding a good second front line DPS guy that isn't so squishy to back up my high defense but extremely low damage dealing Cleric. I am approaching team level 46 and depending on the situation I've been swapping between my Brute, Ember Blade, and Admiral but they are going down way too fast. Right now I am deciding on who to focus on next between my Shallow Keeper, Arcane Sapper, and Vanguard Warrior. Based on my time at the arena the Vanguard Warrior seems pretty lame and I never fight anyone using a Shallow Keeper. So I am leaning heavily towards Arcane Sapper who seems pretty decent in PVP.

Keep in mind that melee attacks cleave the entire row so surviability of multiple heroes on the front row kinda fluctuates depending on what you're fighting. Also, tank durability doesn't really start to kick in until they start getting their purple skills, possible exceptions being death knight, soul keeper, and iron hoof who get defensive skills before purple.

Arcane sapper does really good damage but should be avoided until Purple+2 at the earliest when he starts getting dodge gear to keep him alive long enough to actually do damage. Shallow keeper is supposedly a brick wall at the endgame but I'm nowhere close to that so I can't say if he lives up to the rumors.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Ember Blade is absolutely insane at purple and with a few *s. I see him a lot more now around level 70 and he's just ridiculous. He'll do 75% of his entire team's damage easily if you don't burst him down ASAP. His purple skill can do half of a squishy's life and his ultimate pretty much lets him survive even longer and get another purple off. He might actually be a better Sapper than Sapper.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
I can't get him to work for me :/ Every time I use him he just kinda flounders around meleeing uselessly before getting cleaved to death.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Do you have his purple skill and shield maxed? That's really all you need to see him shine. He puts up magic immunity and a second or two later goes around teleport cleaving everyone. If he can't get his ultimate off at least once it does make him less of a power house though.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

DemonMage posted:

Do you have his purple skill and shield maxed? That's really all you need to see him shine. He puts up magic immunity and a second or two later goes around teleport cleaving everyone. If he can't get his ultimate off at least once it does make him less of a power house though.

Commando counters him p good. She stuns him before he gets his shield up and he never thinks to do it again. He isn't too hot being the lead verse a heavy physical team, but you don't lose against teams with 3+ magic users.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
If you're not using a tank you're really doing something wrong. He should never be eating a Commando arrow in the same way that Phoenix shouldn't be either. They're both DPS heroes who need to be protected.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 10, 2015

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

koolkal posted:

If you're not using a tank you're really doing something wrong. He should never be eating a Commando arrow in the same way that Phoenix shouldn't be either. They're both DPS heroes who need to be protected.

K thanx bud.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Been playing for a few days, and enjoying this so far, but I have a few questions. I'm lvl 28 and purchased the 2.99 daily gem pack. So far, I only have the starter heroes, also lvl 28. In order to enjoy these types of games, I need to set a goal for myself. People are saying things like "get old curse" from arena, but with a limit of 5 rounds, i am only getting about 30 arena coins a night when it ends. Doesn't look like I will be getting him soon. Also I am doing the one elite that I have unlocked for war chief every day. I seem to be stuck on the campaign however. I am in chapter 4 normal and chapter 3 elite and guys seem to be too far above my level to beat the stage. I get wiped when someone does an aoe ultimate, and I only have 1 stun with the admiral. All 5 of my starters are blue already as well. I guess what I am asking for is, is there a specific stage that is more efficient in xp-> stamina that i can grind in order to get my player level up? With the elites locking at 3 per day it doesn't seem that efficient. Also, are the 3 per day elites my only option for eventually getting a war chief? It seems like my weak link is my admiral tank.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

HotBobaloo posted:

Been playing for a few days, and enjoying this so far, but I have a few questions. I'm lvl 28 and purchased the 2.99 daily gem pack. So far, I only have the starter heroes, also lvl 28. In order to enjoy these types of games, I need to set a goal for myself. People are saying things like "get old curse" from arena, but with a limit of 5 rounds, i am only getting about 30 arena coins a night when it ends. Doesn't look like I will be getting him soon. Also I am doing the one elite that I have unlocked for war chief every day. I seem to be stuck on the campaign however. I am in chapter 4 normal and chapter 3 elite and guys seem to be too far above my level to beat the stage. I get wiped when someone does an aoe ultimate, and I only have 1 stun with the admiral. All 5 of my starters are blue already as well. I guess what I am asking for is, is there a specific stage that is more efficient in xp-> stamina that i can grind in order to get my player level up? With the elites locking at 3 per day it doesn't seem that efficient. Also, are the 3 per day elites my only option for eventually getting a war chief? It seems like my weak link is my admiral tank.

Every time I got stuck in the campaign, I ran around doing the other miscellaneous missions, doing the dailies and upgrading my heroes/gear. Usually the next day at the latest I can go back and stomp the remainder of the zone.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

HotBobaloo posted:

. I guess what I am asking for is, is there a specific stage that is more efficient in xp-> stamina that i can grind in order to get my player level up? With the elites locking at 3 per day it doesn't seem that efficient. Also, are the 3 per day elites my only option for eventually getting a war chief? It seems like my weak link is my admiral tank.

No, I had this same issue at first. The first time you get stuck cause Admiral sucks is real lovely, and then it sucks for a couple days, and then takes off again as you hit a stride and hopefully get some other tank. Missing out on Ember Blade hurts, as he was a fantastic free hero to get at low levels, decent as you go up, and then great again for awhile =-( Lightning Spirit seems pretty okay though but he's a magic DPS.

Anyways, mechanically, you get Player Experience equal to the stamina a level costs you. So there's never a better ratio (Barring events maybe) than 1:1. Doing your daily tasks is super important and then save your gems up for a 10x pull. If you can scrap some gold together (once you get Crusade that'll help a ton) to do some 10x gold pulls you might get lucky and get at least a halfway decent tank. Otherwise just keep doing those Daily, any War Chief dailies you've unlocked, and slowly (very slowly for Arena) working your way towards unlock heroes.

[Edit] Also yes as said above, spend your stamina on getting gear upgrades instead of banging your head on a campaign mission, since the ratio is always 1:1 this is just as good for getting your Player Level up.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I've been spending my gems more on stamina and refreshes than anything lately. Also skills now that I'm unlocking purples on a bunch of heroes and have realized that most skills are really important. It's changed how I approach the arena, I can tell what I can beat and not by looking at it, even if they're quite a bit stronger, just because I get what the skills do better.

Upgrade your drat skills, is what I'm saying.

bartok posted:

I personally kind of like Shallows Keeper, don't use him all that much with War Chief and Cloud Walker, but I like him as a secondary tank. He'll probably lead one of my Grand Arena teams when I get there. Arcane Sapper isn't very good where you're at, really. I got one about that level and he's made of glass since he teleports into the thick of things and has no HP. He definitely needs more support than a level 46 team can provide.

I'd spend some time and gems getting War Chief. He'd probably work well with Cleric. He can hit and definitely likes a bit of support.

Also I want a Brute. :(

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Echophonic posted:

Also I want a Brute. :(

I got brute as my first free gem unlock on both servers I played. Pulling off a successful dunk without the auto fight button is the best feeling.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Game didn't really come together for me until you can start clearing crusade. You're so gold starved before that.

Also when in doubt farm shoes.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Shoes and those lovely tier one rings. God I'm always short of those two.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Farm them now! Double drops is the best :)

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

Tequila posted:

I can't get him to work for me :/ Every time I use him he just kinda flounders around meleeing uselessly before getting cleaved to death.

Also pair him with warchief, that life leech aura really helps.

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010
Patch 1.9 preview:

quote:

New Heroes:
- Forest Guardian (Apr Singin Hero): Middle line Mage, who can deal huge magic damage to enemies coming close.
- Wizard Doctor (Apr Magic Stone Hero): Back line supporting Mage, who can heal allies and curse enemies with his special witchcraft.
- Commander (Apr Magic Stone Hero): Front line female Tank, who possesses unusual combat and restoration abilities. More amazingly, her legendary quests will be available in version 1.9 and her legendary skill increases all female heroes’ HP!
- Summoner (Soul Shop Hero): Back line Mage, who has the mastery of ice, fire and thunder, enabling him to utilize up to 10 skills!

Grand Challenge:
- Challenge and choose among various difficulty levels to get awesome items and soul stones.

Improvements:
- Third batch of legendary heroes: Bear Warrior, Imperial Executioner, Succubus, Shallows Keeper and Swordmaster.
- Assigns more titles to heroes to categorize them.
- Introduces an easier way to redeem Soul Coins at Soul Shop.
- Improves the gear crafting system.
- Leaders will be able to admire the guildmates of the same level as them.
- Leaders who have successfully helped in Ancient Temple will get a reward of Guild Coins. You can get the reward 10 times each day.
- Leaders will be able to see the current Team Level Cap for the current server in the avatar box.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

HotBobaloo posted:

War Chief is Elite raid only, keep at it you will most likely unlock him after a month.

Aim to get into the lv30+ until you unlock Crusades from that point try to unlock Mystic, Frost mage and Commando. From then on just see what the 10x gold chests and Crusades give you and move on from there.

Of the starter focus on leveling Shadowleaf(end game PVP core unit) and Chaplian(The best healer for crusades), leave everyone where they are unless you need a tank then get Cleric.

Exp to stamina ratio is the same for all stages.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Nice, a reward for helping in ancient temple.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
drat, cleared Hardmode Crusade and only used Chaplain for 3 or 4 of the levels. Death Knight, Death Mage, Vengeance Spirit, Commando, Mystic completely tore it up. VS ult gives enough time for either DK ult to come off cooldown to heal him back up or for DM ult to completely crush the other team.

Guild coins for the temple is sweet also!

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Just applied to guild. Ign is Hotbobaloo same as here.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I have to say the higher I get the more and more I feel commando is losing her luster. Even at 5* purple +1, full enchant, she does poop damage. Her haste buff largely goes to waste as most of the time is used just getting to middle, and is likely cancelled out by the enemy commando. Her stun on the tank is the only redeeming quality, and is it really that good? Her ult does garbo damage. Even her damage buff just doesn't seem to cut it. I feel putting in an actual damage dealer in her spot is a better option.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
What is the point of raids? Like the raid thing you can do levels.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

What is the point of raids? Like the raid thing you can do levels.

It is much faster than doing levels normally, and also gives you exp potions instead of exp directly to the heroes you used. This is nice for leveling other heroes instead only only your main team.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
At level 30 it's Shoes, at level 55, it's Sol'skeths. And of course, they are made of a 20-stone reel and two other 20-stone items.

So many Sol'skeths. :negative:

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Cinara posted:

It is much faster than doing levels normally, and also gives you exp potions instead of exp directly to the heroes you used. This is nice for leveling other heroes instead only only your main team.

Does it have the same chance for dropping the items that would normally drop? Should I hoard raid tickets for later or are they common enough? Tia

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
After the 20 stone items there are 50 stone items in the 70's (and probably more after that). Depending on how often your guild clears the earlier raids, you can easily end up with a surplus of the 20 stone reels.

I guess I'm going to have to invest some time & resources into 5 starring Windmaster after all:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah the drop rate is the same. Raiding is super nice, which is why everyone should scrounge the couch for $3 to get the monthly refill. First time takes you to VIP3 which is solid, and VIP5 doesn't take that much more which gives you 4 Booty Caves and 20 skill point cap (sadly refilling with diamonds only gives 10 still =-( ).

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Does it have the same chance for dropping the items that would normally drop? Should I hoard raid tickets for later or are they common enough? Tia

Chance to drop is the same, I believe. If you have any level of VIP you get a bunch of raid tickets every day, I have more than I could ever possibly use.

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.
I just d/l this and started playing a bit. I switched over to the server, but not before playing an bit and then being told when I switch I would have to start over...well gently caress. Games seems pretty neat enough, but holy hell is it blatantly taking skins from Dota/Warcraft.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Zotix posted:

I have to say the higher I get the more and more I feel commando is losing her luster. Even at 5* purple +1, full enchant, she does poop damage. Her haste buff largely goes to waste as most of the time is used just getting to middle, and is likely cancelled out by the enemy commando. Her stun on the tank is the only redeeming quality, and is it really that good? Her ult does garbo damage. Even her damage buff just doesn't seem to cut it. I feel putting in an actual damage dealer in her spot is a better option.

The main reason she is really good is that her haste boost at the beginning of the battle lets your team fire off all their abilities before the other team can. That plus the initial tank stun gives you a huge advantage right out of the gate over a team without her.

\/\/\/ Agility is attack, physical crit, and armor, I believe.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 11, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The aura is also +attack and magic attack power, so it's a raw damage increase on top of the 25% attack and move speed. Plus her stun for CC, and her agi aura for whatever that specifically does.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Is Ice Mage's purple skill (the energy regen aura) any good? It seems pretty nice in quick test runs, but I wonder how it compares or combines with Mystic's auras and recharge boost. I feel like those two could work well together, even if Mystic's ult is kind of weird.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I'm seriously regretting making Phoenix my first crusade purchase. It's really good, but not so much for crusades, and since crusades are the major currency maker for me right now (level 36 or so), that's what I want to focus on. Getting Commando next. Hope that works out well. My current Crusade A-Team is Chaplain, Cleric, Brute, Beginning Archer Lady and The fifth usually rotates depending on damage. I usually start with Psychopath right now for those sweet buffs and AoEs.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I'm seriously regretting making Phoenix my first crusade purchase. It's really good, but not so much for crusades, and since crusades are the major currency maker for me right now (level 36 or so), that's what I want to focus on. Getting Commando next. Hope that works out well. My current Crusade A-Team is Chaplain, Cleric, Brute, Beginning Archer Lady and The fifth usually rotates depending on damage. I usually start with Psychopath right now for those sweet buffs and AoEs.

That sounds like a pretty solid team. Commando would definitely help it out, though. Leaves Shadow is a solid team member later on., too, so worth keeping up on.

Outland gate is bullshit, incidentally. I don't have ANY heroes that work for these. Who the hell is flying besides Pilot and Phoenix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

From the guide I linked before:

recommended Heroes:
Master Mage
Old Curse
Phoenix
Pilot
Poisoned One

• Locked thread