Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Thanks for the tips, guys - guess just practice, practice, practice is all I can do. It'd help if I got a bit more creative with my items, as I literally never use anything but the tranq pistol. I also have this nasty habit of restarting every time someone spots me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Console Role Player posted:

Nah, that honor goes to MGS4.

MGS4 is much more enjoyable if you skip the cutscenes, it's a blast to play as a game except for the tailing thing in Act 3.

PW doesn't really feel like a real MGS to me. It's like a side-off story where you get little simplified bites of MGS3 gameplay wrapped in a creative sim city thing. Forgettable characters and setting, lack of story mission variety/engine capabilities (no crawling?), tons of filler missions where you are asked to fight a boss with 4 different iterations instead of just offering difficulty levels like the other games. Didn't love all that. Glad he didn't christen it MGS5. Still prefer it to many non-MGS games though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nah, that honor goes to MGS4.

Nah dude. MGS4 sure is flawed (Acts 3 and 4 mainly), but Acts 1 and 2 are way better than anything in PW, and MGS4 has significantly better better bosses throughout the entire game.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

Thanks for the tips, guys - guess just practice, practice, practice is all I can do. It'd help if I got a bit more creative with my items, as I literally never use anything but the tranq pistol. I also have this nasty habit of restarting every time someone spots me.
Grenades cause people to overreact, which distracts them. Obviously real grenades will kill them, but smokes and flares will not. Don't use flares outdoors though as it'll call the chopper, but you can toss them indoors to panic somebody without consequence. Smoke is great too because enemies caught in it start coughing and will be easy to rush and CQC without a spot; turn on your Night Vision Goggles to see through the smoke. Smoke can also be a good LOS blocker in general, and if enemies are not close to smoke they generally won't react to it despite a huge cloud of smoke seeming awfully suspicious to me.

Magazines are godlike. Used properly they basically guarantee free holdups. You can practically lead a guard around by the nose (well, ears) by chain-tossing magazines as he arrives at the first spot. The tranq pistol can also cause nose when shot at hard surfaces, which will cause guards to turn toward the sound if they're nearby. Do not do this with any other gun; even "silenced" bullets are noisy enough and make enough impact noise that the guard will think he's under fire. Guards will not radio in darts, but they'll only notice them if they make a sound nearby.

C4 is somewhat useful, but mostly it's for fun. However you could set a C4 charge on a distant guard tower or AA gun that has nobody manning it and blow it, which leads to guards rushing toward the explosion location and thus possibly out of your hair. They'll go on alert though, so that might not be preferable to keeping them on predictable patrols. The only real use I've found for D-Mines is to set one in front of some C4 to auto-destroy enemy APCs without needing to time the detonation, though they stand a little taller than C4 and are therefore slightly easier to shoot at a distance if you want a quick explosive distraction. I mean, D-Mines will also kill guards that blunder into them, but you generally don't want that.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I played MGS 1-4 for the first time last year and tried to play Peace Walker, but I really didn't like it. I hated the base management, the side-missions and the bosses and the rest of the game was only okay. I got up to the first helicopter boss, died loads and then gave up

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can't CQC Metal Gear, yet.

Two metal gears piloted by BB and Zero in a brutal CQC brawl should be the capstone final scene then Kojima should drop the mic and walk away.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can't CQC Metal Gear, yet.

Raiden has routinely CQC'd various Metal Gears.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Alchemist posted:

Who cares about guns in metal gear game, you are not supposed to use them.

You know some of us suck at stealth.

Also they were fun as hell in MGS4.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

gfanikf posted:

You know some of us suck at stealth.

You enjoy all the killing, that's why.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wonder if it'll have as many guns as there was in 4. That game had more guns than it knew what to do with.

Actually, a more important question would be will the game have the Tanegashima.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I wonder if it'll have as many guns as there was in 4. That game had more guns than it knew what to do with.

Actually, a more important question would be will the game have the Tanegashima.

It always summons weather effects in the games it's in.
MGS V has a dynamic weather system and huge-rear end maps.

Magic 8 ball says "Count on it... and get hyped."

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raxivace posted:

You enjoy all the killing, that's why.

Especially when it was the only Cam Clarke I was getting in the game (okay perhaps there was one or other spots).

It's funny how I was pissed that Clarke wouldn't be doing the voice work in MGS4 and how Ocelot has so grown on me. I still think MGS3 has some odd voice choices while not bad...just are odd based on nationality...but eh I guess it's like watching a dubbed movie from the 1960s or 1970s so I can live with it.

I do wish I was better at stealth I'm always horrible without radar...and I suck at planning and pulling off combos.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Marking is, in my opinion, vastly superior to radar. For one thing, stopping for a second or two lets you see guards through walls, including facing and when and where they're moving. You can also look off in the distance and know where dudes are that are well outside any sort of radar range, so you can tell if someone has found a guy or if patrols are in an area you previously thought was empty.

You do have to work at it to mark guys, but TPP seems like it will have Intel Team options that automatically observe and mark guards for you, so that will be a huge help.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Ocelot! Go stare at those guards for a few seconds, then go stare at the other guards."

"...Why?"

"It gives me X-ray vision, now follow orders soldier."

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nakar posted:

Marking is, in my opinion, vastly superior to radar. For one thing, stopping for a second or two lets you see guards through walls, including facing and when and where they're moving. You can also look off in the distance and know where dudes are that are well outside any sort of radar range, so you can tell if someone has found a guy or if patrols are in an area you previously thought was empty.

You do have to work at it to mark guys, but TPP seems like it will have Intel Team options that automatically observe and mark guards for you, so that will be a huge help.

Oh yeah I should add that marking has helped out a ton with the issues I previously had.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Aurain posted:

I'm pretty sure Kojima mentioned at TGS that Phantom Pain has an item that lets you control the weather.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Aurain posted:

It was great in peace walker. The tornado fultoned people.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm pretty sure Kojima mentioned at TGS that Phantom Pain has an item that lets you control the weather.
The Cobra Weather Dominator?

Coughing Hobo posted:

Raiden has routinely CQC'd various Metal Gears.
When does he CQC a Metal Gear in MGS4?

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
So quick question about Ground Zeroes: is there a way to S-rank it without being an insane speedrunner?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Scalding Coffee posted:

The Cobra Weather Dominator?

The Gekkos when he's introduced at the end of Act 2. It's mostly a joke, though, because even in Rising "CQC" is "throw a RAY in the air and turn its arm into julienne fries"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coughing Hobo posted:

The Gekkos when he's introduced at the end of Act 2. It's mostly a joke, though, because even in Rising "CQC" is "throw a RAY in the air and turn its arm into julienne fries"

While blasting music with a guy screaming RULES OF NATURE!!!!

That game is so goddamn sily...and I loved playing it.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Scalding Coffee posted:

You're forgetting the perfection that was MGR: Revengence.

Contra Calculus posted:

So quick question about Ground Zeroes: is there a way to S-rank it without being an insane speedrunner?

The most important thing to getting an S-rank in Ground Zeroes is rescuing all the POWs and avoiding detection. You can have a playthrough that takes more than an hour and still get an s-rank. Turn off reflex mode for maximum points.

Console Role Player fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 11, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Contra Calculus posted:

The main Ground Zeroes mission is fairly lenient. You can do it in something like 45 minutes and still get an S-Rank. Just make sure to save the prisoners in the camp where Chico is held, try not to be too heavy on alerts, move relatively quickly etc.

I did all this on Hard Mode and got the S-Rank fairly easily.

EDIT: Dammit. Beaten.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.

Scalding Coffee posted:

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=NZ_ZbMOreZI&p=n#/370;390 Right here.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Don't forget about the "hidden" POW that tried to escape before getting caught. He's in one of the camps near where you start.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Don't forget about the "hidden" POW that tried to escape before getting caught. He's in one of the camps near where you start.

Eh, is the bonus for going and back and saving him really worth the potential alerts?

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
All right thanks to the both of you. Every time Ive played I tried to do some really stupid speedrun trick and wound up having to restart because I was caught.

That makes what I was doing infinitely easier now. I still need to figure out how to extract Paz without getting caught though.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Raxivace posted:

Eh, is the bonus for going and back and saving him really worth the potential alerts?

You get a butt load of points for his safe rescue, makes scoring an "S" easier.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Raxivace posted:

You can just extract Paz and him right through where he is to the starting point, there are almost no guards down the west side of the base at that point and it's very easy.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Haha, wow. I did a run of that mission specifically to save that guy, and I must have screwed it up because I got an alert almost immediately after getting him in my FOV.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I may as well just give you the whole route for an Easy S rank :

Take the right path up the cliff from the start, wait for the jeep, go through the little tent village and find the spot where you can drag a guy over a wall and then drag a second guy over when he comes to investigate. Head north a bit, circle down to the prison camp and KO all three guards. DO NOT go near Chico, instead carry every other POW down to the extraction point, then trigger Chico. Then bring Chico down, drop him, load all the POWs onto the chopper and then Chico. Head up the road, climb into the back of the truck and ride into the base. Once it stops inside, grab the tranq ammo, headshot everyone and hide them. Get Paz, come out the same way tranquing the guys who spawn, exit through the west door and work your way along the edge of the map until you get to the low area you overlook at the beginning. KO everyone, extract the POW, climb onto the chopper with Paz and you're done.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Raxivace posted:

You have the option to save a human POW from execution (in a video game).

"But... is the bonus worth it?"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Tranq everyone in face and hide them in the bushes. There will be nobody left to spot you.
That's how I play at least. That's how I prefer playing and it's quite easy getting S-Ranks on stealth missions, I just have to make sure to extract all PoWs which isn't a problem since there are no guards in the way.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

If anyone's got some free time and would like to 'coach' me a bit, I've started streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/gankhill . I'm new to streaming so I don't know a quick way to see Twitch chat, but feel free to add "nilchameleons" on steam if you want to chat.

I'd greatly appreciate the help and if I can return the favor with Dota lessons or anything just ask!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You're either completely deaf or a fairly talented troll.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

GZ is a lot more lenient when it comes to alerts than previous MGS games. I used to restart too (esp. in the first three games), just because it was such a pain in the rear end to kill SWAT teams with janky gun controls.
But GZ gives you all sorts of tools to get away scot free, like dashing and the iDroid showing your last reported location. Plus, some of the most fun emergent gameplay comes from dealing with getting out of scrapes alive.
On some missions you can still pull out a decent rank even if you trigger an alert. Plus it'll simply train you to be a better player!

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

K8.0 posted:

You're either completely deaf or a fairly talented troll.

How so

Like, when I say I'm bad at these games, I'm fuckin' bad. My understanding is I should conk out those two walking up the road, climb up tthe guard tower, knock that guy out, and flicker the light until the two guys walk down the path and I spot the one I need to interrogate. Yeah?

I somehow accidentally set off an alert on the one try I made on stream and a friend came over so I ended up quitting. Clearly I'm making some extremely new mistakes, so rip into my play.

vv whoops yeah i was testing on my ipad, first time streamer mistake sorry

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 12, 2015

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You had audio feedback, I assume from watching your own stream.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Vic Boss posted:

You have the option to save a human POW from execution (in a video game).

"But... is the bonus worth it?"

Not sure what your point is here, unless its just an attempt at a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Contra Calculus posted:

Yes. Just get all the prisoners and don't get caught. I didn't even have Reflex Mode off. You can take loving forever.

• Locked thread