Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Acne Rain posted:

people yell at me every time I mention this show anywhere :(

Haters gonna hate

Edit: They are just mad that they're single

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Crain posted:

I'm gonna go back to the "Jasper's a fusion" thing because there's an angle that I haven't seen people mention yet: desperation.

What if Jasper is a fusion because one of the component gems was so badly injured/damaged that they weren't going to even be able to heal on their own, so the higher ups basically said "Well you're useless now, but we're going have you fuse with this other gem just so we don't lose all of your strength". And somehow forced it to happen. The extreme desire to not die might be enough to keep the fusion stable but at the same time Jasper's basically on life-support 24/7 and that might be grating on her. She had to fuse because she was too weak to win her last fight, so fusion is a crutch to her because of that. If that's the case then on of the gems could be damaged and she hides it due to that or not very visible due to being broken. Or there was some other type of fusion done to fuse Jasper's "soul" sans gem which would explain the lack of obvious second gem.

I like the idea of Jasper's distaste for fusing being some form of self-hatred, but I don't think that's what it's gonna be. I was rewatching the transformation to see if they could have hidden another gem somewhere as she and Lapis turn into a glowy morph, but it looked like there were only two gems amidst all the glow.

Unless Jasper's gem itself is a Frankenstein's monster of fragments patched together? That'd be cool, but way too speculative for me to consider seriously yet. I'm just interested to see when the heroes get back to tinkering with the shattered gems again.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Crain posted:

I'm gonna go back to the "Jasper's a fusion" thing because there's an angle that I haven't seen people mention yet: desperation.

What if Jasper is a fusion because one of the component gems was so badly injured/damaged that they weren't going to even be able to heal on their own, so the higher ups basically said "Well you're useless now, but we're going have you fuse with this other gem just so we don't lose all of your strength". And somehow forced it to happen. The extreme desire to not die might be enough to keep the fusion stable but at the same time Jasper's basically on life-support 24/7 and that might be grating on her. She had to fuse because she was too weak to win her last fight, so fusion is a crutch to her because of that. If that's the case then on of the gems could be damaged and she hides it due to that or not very visible due to being broken. Or there was some other type of fusion done to fuse Jasper's "soul" sans gem which would explain the lack of obvious second gem.

I'm still very unconvinced, but it's seeming less crazy. Another thing - why does Jasper, who seems to be a relatively high-ranking gem, remember the first war for Earth, but neither Pearl nor Garnet remember her? The obvious, simple explanation is Jasper was either just a grunt at the time, just never happened to come across them, did come across them but they forgot her over the past 6000 years, or "Jaspers" are a caste of hundreds or thousands of identical gems, perhaps many of which were at the first war for Earth, and so Garnet & Pearl don't realize they've met this specific one before... but your explanation would fit too, if Jasper was an Amethyst that fused with some other broken gem.

Phobic Nest posted:

I like the idea of Jasper's distaste for fusing being some form of self-hatred, but I don't think that's what it's gonna be. I was rewatching the transformation to see if they could have hidden another gem somewhere as she and Lapis turn into a glowy morph, but it looked like there were only two gems amidst all the glow.

Unless Jasper's gem itself is a Frankenstein's monster of fragments patched together? That'd be cool, but way too speculative for me to consider seriously yet. I'm just interested to see when the heroes get back to tinkering with the shattered gems again.

Didn't the mineral guy say that's sort of what real jaspers actually are? Maybe that's the answer. I could very well see that. So, she's not a "fusion", per se, but... a amalgamated gem created from, let's say, maybe a bunch of broken Amethysts and some Rubies or Emeralds or something.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 14, 2015

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

So Math posted:

Oh, Lapis Lazuli's weapon is her wings.

I think Lapis might have to get nerfed before she is befriended because her weapon is all water that exists everywhere.

Also they're water wings. :v:

axleblaze posted:

Calling dibs on this, though I'm not exactly sure when I'm gonna actually get it.

Congratulations America!

You're Addicted to Crocodile.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

"SMILE, CROCODILE!!"

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
I had a thought that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else:

All of the modern gem technology is pretty abstract. Like, the force fields and tuning forks were more geometric, while the laser light cannons and sound stones have a more organic shape. The one standout is Peridot's hand ship.

I'm wondering if the hand ship was actually part of a huge gem, whose reason for existing is to be portioned out into means of travel. I mean, there's not much proof either way at this point, but it would go a long way towards explaining why it stood out so much compared to everything else the modern gems had.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
I dont know, the thought of a flying thigh through space is pretty... out there... even more out there than a flying hand.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Notinghamington posted:

I dont know, the thought of a flying thigh through space is pretty... out there... even more out there than a flying hand.

Just ridin' in my giant space butt.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Notinghamington posted:

That's ridiculous.

The thigh is a space station.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

i am bones posted:

I need a Steven Universe avatar in my life. Please make more! Anything with Garnet, Amethyst or Lion would be nice. :)

Do you have a particular scene in mind you want an avatar of? It's just way easier for me to just make something out of an exact thing you have in mind then just randomly pull something from the many hours of this show hoping you like it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Gems love giant hands for some reason.

Lapis threatens the Gems in her first appearance with a giant water hand
Peridot tries to kill Steven with her giant robot hands
The finale began with a close-up of Steven's hand slamming down on the Fry counter
The space ship is a giant hand
Lapis/Malachite's water chains first appear as hands
And fusions in general tend to have four or more hands

I think the SU Crew just likes Nintendo a lot.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Gruckles posted:

Ronaldo took a piece of her ship. I really really hope she tries to get it back by befriending him.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like that at one point the gems had a moat with Amethyst as a crocodile.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Wikipedia confirms that the first episode for Season 2 is the Uncle Grandpa crossover.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Acne Rain posted:

people yell at me every time I mention this show anywhere :(

You deserved that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Here's an idea for a Jasper redemption arc:

Okay, so we know that Jasper was on earth during the war. We also know (or at least suspect) that many of the corrupted gems were also on earth durring the war. Maybe one of the corrupted Gems used to be a close friend of Jasper, and once she's healed she'll be able to calm Jasper down.

It might also explain why Jasper despises fusing yet also acknowledges how much stronger it can make you: Jasper had a friend she used to fuse with, but one day when they were separated the friend was corrupted somehow. Now she's resentful and jealous of every fusion she sees because she misses her friend, or something like that.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shitenshi posted:

Wikipedia confirms that the first episode for Season 2 is the Uncle Grandpa crossover.
I had almost forgotten

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
I think it's well in the realm of possibility that the "it's not like I was there or anything" was just Greg remembering some time-travel adventure or vivid holodeck vision.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Shitenshi posted:

LAAAAAAaaame.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Chakram posted:

I think it's well in the realm of possibility that the "it's not like I was there or anything" was just Greg remembering some time-travel adventure or vivid holodeck vision.

I think he meant what he said. He wasn't there, Rose told him about it.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

Bass Bottles posted:

This is fiction. "It's not like I was there" means "I was totally there."

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Bass Bottles posted:

She could have showed it to him in her room.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

She could have showed it to him in her room.

:yikes:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Chakram posted:

This is fiction. "It's not like I was there" means "I was totally there."

No lol he was uncomfortable being the person to tell Steven about it.

He was expressing frustration that he had to be the person to tell Steven instead of the Gems, who actually were there.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

No lol he was uncomfortable being the person to tell Steven about it.

He was expressing frustration that he had to be the person to tell Steven instead of the Gems, who actually were there.

Yeah. It's only a sign that someone is lying when they become flustered for no other explainable reason. Greg had an obvious reason.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Shitenshi posted:

Hopefully there won't be a long hiatus. It'd suck to have to wait forever for Steven Universe, and the first episode we get is a dumb crossover.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

XboxPants posted:

Yeah. It's only a sign that someone is lying when they become flustered for no other explainable reason. Greg had an obvious reason.

Yeah, it has probably more to do with the fact that Greg and the Gems actually told Steven very, very little about the Gems true reason for being on Earth or the rebellion. Or even that there was a rebellion at all.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
If you guys are still taking options for the next thread title, i vote for Steven Universe - Don't Stop Believin'

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Or we could start some rumours like Steven Universe - Steven is a horcrux, or Steven Universe - Onion is big bad

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

e X posted:

Yeah, it has probably more to do with the fact that Greg and the Gems actually told Steven very, very little about the Gems true reason for being on Earth or the rebellion. Or even that there was a rebellion at all.

Still, just to play devil's advocate, it's not completely impossible. Even with the "ancient" level of tech available to the Crystal Gems, time travel was still in play.

Megaspel posted:

Or we could start some rumours like Steven Universe - Steven is a horcrux, or Steven Universe - Onion is big bad

Can we get someone to edit some sweet fuckin' nails into Onions bat gif?

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 14, 2015

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

I thought you were joking until I looked it up wtf.

I wonder if SU's greatness can cancel out uncle grandpa's shittyness or will it be dragged down.

a penus
Aug 14, 2004

see you next mission
doritos + mountain dew + xbox = Peridot fusion confirmed

http://hopesploded.tumblr.com/post/113611039384/good-morning

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Wth is Uncle Grandpa I have never even heard of that show before.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

dijon du jour posted:

Wth is Uncle Grandpa I have never even heard of that show before.

It's a show that has a slightly different viewer base than SU and thus may be able to help introduce new viewers to this wonderful show with a crossover event.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Shitenshi posted:

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Hopefully there won't be a long hiatus. It'd suck to have to wait forever for Steven Universe, and the first episode we get is a dumb crossover.

So first of all, we've already seen the first episode of Season 2 and started it with Friday's episode. We still have some eps from S1 to watch, but S2 has already begun and next week's preview didn't LOOK like the crossover episode to me because it's one of the S1 leftovers.

Secondly, there shouldn't be any kind of hiatus (we already get a new episode next Thursday like normal, and they've already completed at least through S2's finale).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Uncle Grandpa has slightly grown on me. It's certainly gotten better than the first few absolutely dire episodes. It's not a great show at all and it's not a show I will go out of my way to any degree to see, but I still manage to get some enjoyment out of it. Pizza Steve is pretty awesome all around.

I will also say it's rare to see a show where it's main inspiration is that obvious. I'm not sure if that show makes John K happy or really mad (I hope really made because gently caress John K).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Urban Wizard posted:

So first of all, we've already seen the first episode of Season 2 and started it with Friday's episode. We still have some eps from S1 to watch, but S2 has already begun and next week's preview didn't LOOK like the crossover episode to me because it's one of the S1 leftovers.

Secondly, there shouldn't be any kind of hiatus (we already get a new episode next Thursday like normal, and they've already completed at least through S2's finale).

Just in case anyone still doesn't believe this:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I honestly think the Onion joke is funnier without the nails because it leaves Onion's thoughts more obscure, and half the joke is that you can't tell what he's thinking (the other half is that he's an evil little homunculus).

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah the way wikipedia has their episode list is odd. The way this is actually working is, like, "unaired season 1 episodes are being shuffled in with the beginning of season 2", but I don't think they know how to work that into their usual template.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah the way wikipedia has Season 1 and Season 2 listed is odd. With some unaired season 1 episodes being shuffled in to the beginning of season 2, I don't think they know how to work that into their usual template.

If you go into the Talk section, the wikipedia editors just don't know what the gently caress. It's been completely different every day I've checked it this week. :haw:

We know what the production order was, but when they release the episodes for purchase they may well be grouped up differently. It's all a big clusterbomb.

• Locked thread